Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ashbourne cinema

• 13-02-2009 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this opens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

June

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is it true that Storm pulled out and it's gonna be called something different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Yep, Showtime Cinema's will be operating it.

decob wrote: »
    Yep, Showtime Cinema's will be operating it.

Know how many screens there's gonna be?

6 screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

jack321 wrote: »
    June

Where did you hear June? Anything official i.e. press release from last year was saying May. Plus it looks fairly finished these days; I thought it might be ahead of schedule.

I reckon they might do better than before, which is good news for the town. A night out at the cinema is a hell of a lot cheaper than the pub, especially in Ashbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sanerah

I wonder if they will be providing subtitled. I am Deaf and I live in Ashbourne, the main cinemas in Ireland provide subtitles, i hope I don't have to keep travelling to Dublin to watch the latest film...

as from marywallace.ie website july news.
    "He is programmed to hand over the building on the 16th March next year when the operator will fit out and it is expected that blockbuster movies will be shown in Ashbourne Cinema in May 2009."
    He refering to the builder, a cinema fitter will take over the cinema from march 16th to kit it out ready for may opening !
    Sanerah not sure about an answer to your question but here is the website for the new cinema
    http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/
    under construction , you could ask them when the website gets going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bart rudiger

Does anyone know how many people they will b hiring and how to apply?
    Their website is still in the development stage so no answers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

I can't wait to see the new Cinema. It's opening next Month, so yay! I am a Cinema fan and have been to quite a few around Dublin. I've been to Santry Omniplex, Savoy, Screen D'Olier Street, The Lighthouse (very snazzy and trendy), Virgin/UGC/Cineworld, Ster Century/VUE, UCI Tallaght (my personal fave, but don't get to go out very often to it), UCI Coolock, UCI Blanchardstown (my regular), Movies @ Dundrum, Movies @ Swords (I am ALWAYS in there).

Have I mentioned them all? The only one I have yet to visit is New Savoy in Balbriggan, but I heard it's ****e, so I am not really bothered to go to it. After all, with a name like 'New Savoy' (the only REAL and genunine Savoy is the one in Dublin City) who WANTS to go to it when you have the option of one of the bigger Cineplexes in the City?!?!

Personally, I cannot WAIT to see the Ashbourne Cinema!

• Advertisement

I was up in the retail park last Saturday week (4 April) and ok, you wouldn't expect to see anyone working on the site on a Saturday but it looked fairly abandoned. All the structure is in place and they've got stairs and a lift shaft in but it's far from finished - not at the "kitting-out" stage at all. For a place that's supposed to be open in 10 weeks at the latest, it's still got tons to be done.

I'll swing around by it later today and see, hopefully I'm wrong. I also hope Ashbournians will support it, I have this feeling since it was first announced that it'll err on the side of blockbusters and locals will continue to flock to Blanch. And it's a pity they stuck it out on the edge of town; a cinema would've been a real boost on Killegland St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

I hear ya! I was up a little while ago too and didn't see any work going on. I don't think it has been abandoned as the company running it have set up a website but have not enabled features such a booking options, etc. on it yet. Keep the Faith!

That website has been coming soon for friggin' ages. I want to know about job vacancies. Anything will do at this stage.

I reckon the latest Ashbourne news will have more info.... *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Passed it at around 8.15 this morning and there was work in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Website has changed, now says "Opening in Ashbourne June 2009"

http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

They'll be doing well to have it open in June I'd say. When I passed it last week, inside of it was still a shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 roryok

Can't wait for this to open. still doesn't look like it'll be ready in june to me though. they could do with getting it ope for the summer hols and with all the big summer movies to get people going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Ad in the Chronicle this week looking for staff for cinema had an email address but I cant find it someone must have thrown it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kev-bag

great do you know how many people they will be hiring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bigbusman

Just saw that the cinema is opening on 12th June, cant wait.

• Advertisement

Bigbusman wrote: »
    Just saw that the cinema is opening on 12th June, cant wait.

Good shtuff; where did you see that, Bigbusman?

it's work sensitive, but I saw some advertising.

I passed it yersterday evening. The outside of the building looks near completion. Inside, the lift is in, but there's still a huge amount of work to get the interior completed.

We just got a new ad in this morning and it's now saying the 19th of June, Transformers is the opening movie. Apparently the main screen is the biggest in the country.

when is the website going to advance from 'opening soon'
    it would be nice to get more info.

I've no idea jack 321, we have nothing to do with that.

Bigbusman wrote: »
    Apparently the main screen is the biggest in the country.

Seriously? Quite a coup for us so! It'll put Ashbourne on the map more than Hunky Dorys, Kieron "Wolf" Ducie, Johnny Logan or the guy who wrote "Angels" (who lives on Bourne Avenue, btw)!!!

With such huge technical investment, I wonder if they bothered with digital projectors, considering they might be the norm in the next 10 years or so. Saw Star Trek in digital then regular format, made a big difference.

p.s. Anyone know what might be going next to the cinema? I think it was zoned cafe/restaurant *crosses fingers for Eddie Rocket's*

* EDIT: I was also up there yesterday, plenty work going on but nowhere near finished. Just over 3 weeks til opening and there's a fierce amount of bare concrete about the place but like Mick said, the lift appears to be in and they've finished cladding the "gable end" with a weird fin-type design.

JayeL wrote: »
    Seriously? Quite a coup for us so! It'll put Ashbourne on the map more than Hunky Dorys, Kieron "Wolf" Ducie, Johnny Logan or the guy who wrote "Angels" (who lives on Bourne Avenue, btw)!!!

Yup - I'm definitely going to be bragging that I live within five minutes drive of the biggest cinema screen in the country. :D

When you say the guy who wrote Angels, do you mean the Robbie Williams song?

ferga_com wrote: »
    When you say the guy who wrote Angels, do you mean the Robbie Williams song?

Yeah, Ray Heffernan, he wrote it and sold it to Robbie Williams for £5K or so. Never thought anything of it and next thing it was a huge hit that he couldn't cash in on.

He lived there 3-4 years ago, they did a bit on him in the Herald and referred to him as "Ashbourne man Ray Heffernan". He may have been a blow-in but then who isn't!

Anyway, we still have J-Lo, the greatest living Eurovision winner according to himself on Tubridy last week, since no. 1 (Abba) have split up and no. 2 is dead.

• Advertisement

Anyway, we still have J-Lo, the greatest living Eurovision winner according to himself on Tubridy last week, since no. 1 (Abba) have split up and no. 2 is dead.

What, Dana is dead??? ;)

Is there a "famous people living in..." thread on boards? I had a search and didn't find anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 JeanKelly

the lift appears to be in and they've finished cladding the "gable end" with a weird fin-type design.

I think the "fin-type" design is the same as the logo for the retail park.

I can’t wait for it to open, the cinema is Swords is really nice but I hate the Rollestown road. I saw a bus parked at the 9 mile stone the other evening advertising the Cinema but it just said mid June. I hope they have a membership like Cineworld, and maybe a cheap student offer/membership that might give the teenagers something to do other than hang around outside Tesco or in the playground. Hoping there will be an Eddie Rockets too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Just heard it's supposed to be opening on June 19th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Markcfagan

Have to agree with Jean Kelly and hope that they have the club membership a la Cineworld. I love the movies and am tired of having to travel so far to see them and getting to Cineworld, which is a great cinema, is very expensive. So here is hoping that Ashbourne gets a doozy of a cinema and supports it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Theres an article on the cinema in this weeks Meath echo.

It says 25 part-time staff positions have already been filled. They got over 350 applications!

The website will launch on June 12th and the cinema opens June 19th.

Theres an article on the cinema in this weeks Meath echo.

It says 25 part-time staff positions have already been filled. They got over 350 applications!

The website will launch on June 12th and the cinema opens June 19th.

About time that website will be open soon. Sick of looking at that "Opening June 2009" crap.

How many screens is the cinema does anyone know?

• Advertisement

That_Guy wrote: »
    How many screens is the cinema does anyone know?

It's 6 screens from what I heard, pretty average for a town of Ashbourne's size.

They have a Bus Eireann bus in the Ashbourne/Ratoath area with a big ad for the Showtime Cinema on the back, got it in this morning.

I hope they try and drum up a good bit of publicity for this as it's going to be an uphill battle from the word go. Ashbournians have gone to the cinema in Blanch (and Swords to a lesser extent) for years and the city centre is only 30-40 minutes away at off-peak times.

Another thing; because this new cinema is on the outskirts of the town, people will probably drive there - which is fine as there seems to be plenty spaces in the car park. But if you're in the car already and have other things to get, you might just decide to head on to Blanch.

This cinema should look at ensuring they have piles of leaflets in every shop and newsagent in the town, showing cinema times and how to book. Don't waste money advertising in the Meath Chronicle as no-one in Ashbourne reads it. They should also look at doing a deal with a local restaurant, where you could buy a meal for two in Ashbourne and get a discounted ticket to the cinema.

Maybe look at the film club idea that's already been mentioned here, maybe just keep the ticket price below €9 or 2 for 1 on nibbles (I know this is how they make money but they have to differentiate themselves from other cinemas in the area). And given Ashbourne is such a young town, maybe do that thing they have in Vue Cinemas, where they have over-18's screenings, regardless of the film's classification, so that adults can watch a movie in peace.

Anyway, I'm very excited about it all; I go to the cinema a lot and this should be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Friend of mine got one of the jobs.
    Can't wait for it to open, drove by it today - still working on it but fingers crossed it'll be ready by the deadline.
    It's called Showtime right?????

We've been waiting years for a cinema to come here lol
    Hopefully it'll bring a bit more business up that general direction - 4home is completely dead. Heard a rumour the other day actually that it's closing, anyone hear anything??????

4home is completely dead. Heard a rumour the other day actually that it's closing, anyone hear anything??????

It'd be a pity if they closed, I dropped into them the other day for some weed & feed (Jesus could I be more suburban??) and they were completely sold-out of everything bar big sacks of the stuff. So I thought maybe they're doing ok here - perhaps not.

I think that all retailers in the Ashbourne area need to realise just how many of us aren't in Ashbourne until between 6 and 7pm on a weekday because we work in Dublin. 4Home are open until 7pm on Thursday and Friday but other than that, it's 6 hours on Satuday and another 6 on Sunday.

Opening til 9pm should be looked at by more shops; everyone in Ashbourne shopped in Finglas until Victory Value opened and no-one opened past 7pm until Tesco came along; now you can shop til midnight and as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco did a good trade in the kind of things 4Home might sell.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the cinema. Someone said earlier that the website is going live tomorrow, I'll be in there like a light.

It'd be a pity if they closed, I dropped into them the other day for some weed & feed (Jesus could I be more suburban??) and they were completely sold-out of everything bar big sacks of the stuff. So I thought maybe they're doing ok here - perhaps not.

I think that all retailers in the Ashbourne area need to realise just how many of us aren't in Ashbourne until between 6 and 7pm on a weekday because we work in Dublin. 4Home are open until 7pm on Thursday and Friday but other than that, it's 6 hours on Satuday and another 6 on Sunday.

Opening til 9pm should be looked at by more shops; everyone in Ashbourne shopped in Finglas until Victory Value opened and no-one opened past 7pm until Tesco came along; now you can shop til midnight and as a result, I wouldn't be surprised if Tesco did a good trade in the kind of things 4Home might sell.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the cinema. Someone said earlier that the website is going live tomorrow, I'll be in there like a light.

Off the main topic i know, but anytime I've gone into 4Home, there's been a problem with pricing. The price displayed (if there actually is one displayed) on the shelf is never the same as what comes up on the till once they scan it. It's happened to me on about 6 different occasions. So be sure to check the prices!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

I can't wait too, swords is too far, ashbourne distance is just right

• Advertisement

How sad am I? I'm actually checking the website every few minutes; really have to get a life..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

I hardly ever go to the cinema in Pavillions? Blanch is handier to get to, you can get the bus too but having the cinema in Ash will be brilliant. Still a good walk up to it though from housing areas such as garden city & Alderbrook.

www.showtimecinemas.ie is now up and running.
    To those using the cinema from alderbrook etc bus eireann now do a
    town fare for 1.80 to the cinema so get the bus from alderbrook. !

Website is pretty nice. Seem to be a good few showings of certain films a day. Last screening of Transformers next Friday is 23:15. Pretty late IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭TaxiManMartin

Why on earth dont more cinemas do a subscription service like cineworld.
    I would buy a subscription in a heartbeat. If i have the subscription via direct debit i dont even notice it. I do notice the high price when i have to buy a ticket though.

If there's enough demand for it they should supply it. It'd be a great idea and like the previous poster said if it was done by direct debit I wouldn't notice it either.

Drove up to it today with my friend and it seems like it could be a rushed opening for them.

Just occured to me yesterday when I saw the place that it's probably mostly upstairs, not at ground level. So while we see all these bare floors when taking a look and deduce that the project is behind schedule, they're probably empty restaurant units that'd be occupied at a later stage.

I've never seen anyone working in there, so perhaps all the action is on the 1st floor!

Just occured to me yesterday when I saw the place that it's probably mostly upstairs, not at ground level. So while we see all these bare floors when taking a look and deduce that the project is behind schedule, they're probably empty restaurant units that'd be occupied at a later stage.

I've never seen anyone working in there, so perhaps all the action is on the 1st floor!

That's a very good point actually. Never thought about that. You could well be right.

A lot of these "country cinemas" I've been in, the lobby and screens are upstairs.

I just want it to be open.

I hardly ever go to the cinema in Pavillions? Blanch is handier to get to, you can get the bus too but having the cinema in Ash will be brilliant. Still a good walk up to it though from housing areas such as garden city & Alderbrook.

Seems to be that the only way of getting there without a car is to get the bus up to it. That is if you don't fancy the walk.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Seems to be that the only way of getting there without a car is to get the bus up to it. That is if you don't fancy the walk.

Or you could get a taxi or cycle :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement