Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Drivers for No - Workers turn against Lisbon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

squod wrote: »
    Best person to take advise from is yourself IMO. I just hope you make the right decision from the information you have. I'd like to think that my mind wasn't made up by misinformation or idiots from either side.
    My mind's been made up a long time and very little to do with any political party

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Taxi Sign Fail

IIRC, "Democratic Alliance" is a "NO to Lisbon" group, so the poster is a fail poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 GroundHog

Democratic Alliance - according to google a group in South Africa!!!

Hermann Kelly - I think many people know who this man is, and if not a browse through the Irish Daily Mail (a very well known and reputable source of S****) will provide you answers.

BUT are their taxi drivers who would stand up to them?

Not on your nellie:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭free to prosper

Like a lot of people in the country,

Taxi drivers have been well and truly shafted by this useless government.

They know the quickest way to get rid of Clowen and co is to Vote no

and they is what they intend to do.

I was speaking to some leaders of Taxidrivers for Change and they estimate

that 80% of taximen will vote No to Lisbon.

Do anybody have any experience of taximen canvassing for a no in their taxi?

Or putting No to Lisbon stickers on their taxi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭OldJay

No. Just an experience of being bored to tears by deluded views on Lisbon (unfortunately I was in a cab on the day of the last referendum), Immigration, sports, the government, where they go on vacation . . . etc :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Will they also be voting no on the upcoming children's rights referendum for this reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭mizhell

A non-politically aligned group of taxi drivers - across all the taxi organisations, has been formed to get other taxi drivers to campaign against lisbon.

Here is their website: Taxi Drivers for No

Taxi Drivers for No poster:

TaximenNoTurkey1copy2.jpg

Their Leaflet:

taxidriversforno.jpg

taxidriversforno2.jpg

Taxi Drivers for No initiator and leader is Clem Hackett, a taxi driver from Limerick.

The posters are already out in Dublin, Dundalk and Cork as well as smaller posters in Limerick, Galway, Waterford and the West.

Taximen are a pivotal section of society, with huge influence.

This is showing the government that they mean business.

Hi there I am a taxi driver in Dublin and I rang Clem this morning as I was disgusted that the sweeping statement on the posters tarred all taxi drivers with the same brush as I am leaning towards a yes vote and even if I was undecided I would have a problem with these posters! as it stands the democratic alliance have their name on them and whoever has put these up has printed all of Clem's personal details on them too, much to his disgust I might add! HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE POSTERS and would like the general public to be aware of that! he has contacted a guy who has been linked to Libertas on a number of issues and does not admit to being linked to them on this issue, but he has admitted he has put these posters up and has agreed to take them down by the end of the day, if he does not do this Clem will quite possibly consider legal action if he has not already!
    I ask you? if someone is pushing a no vote and insinuating that it has anything to do with deregulation/minimum wage/neutrality or any other ridiculous claim then I urge you to research these issues and find out for yourself what Lisbon means to you because I reiterate that I as a taxi driver am fully aware that this treaty has NOTHING to do with deregulation it takes in a fuller spectrum of issues that effect a huge amount of people and will make huge changes to alot of people who at present cannot be helped because the E.U's hands are tied under present legislation!
    I urge you to research facts and rubbish these bold claims and make up your mind for yourself!
    I ask you again if these people want you to vote no then why lie? then why print completely illegal details on posters that are supposed to inform people? are you happy being lied to? because I certainly am not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

mizhell wrote: »
    Hi there I am a taxi driver in Dublin and I rang Clem this morning as I was disgusted that the sweeping statement on the posters tarred all taxi drivers with the same brush as I am leaning towards a yes vote and even if I was undecided I would have a problem with these posters! as it stands the democratic alliance have their name on them and whoever has put these up has printed all of Clem's personal details on them too, much to his disgust I might add! HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE POSTERS and would like the general public to be aware of that! he has contacted a guy who has been linked to Libertas on a number of issues and does not admit to being linked to them on this issue, but he has admitted he has put these posters up and has agreed to take them down by the end of the day, if he does not do this Clem will quite possibly consider legal action if he has not already!
    I ask you? if someone is pushing a no vote and insinuating that it has anything to do with deregulation/minimum wage/neutrality or any other ridiculous claim then I urge you to research these issues and find out for yourself what Lisbon means to you because I reiterate that I as a taxi driver am fully aware that this treaty has NOTHING to do with deregulation it takes in a fuller spectrum of issues that effect a huge amount of people and will make huge changes to alot of people who at present cannot be helped because the E.U's hands are tied under present legislation!
    I urge you to research facts and rubbish these bold claims and make up your mind for yourself!
    I ask you again if these people want you to vote no then why lie? then why print completely illegal details on posters that are supposed to inform people? are you happy being lied to? because I certainly am not!

thanks for your post, appreciated

do you know who this "democratic alliance" is? theres nothing on google :(

and are you saying that this whole thread is based on fud and this is not happening?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

whoever has put these up has printed all of Clem's personal details on them too, much to his disgust I might add! HE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THESE POSTERS and would like the general public to be aware of that!

GUBU.

I wish him a lucrative and successful law suit.

@ei.sdraob - the democratic alliance are not listed in the phone book, apparently they are a movement not a party which means whoever has put that name on this poster has left Clem accountable which isn't very nice... or legal
    the guy that put these up has been linked to libertas so maybe if your looking for more info along these lines that could be the best place to start?

@PopeBuckfastXVI - lol would love to see where this goes...:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

I was in a taxi on Friday night which had one of those no to Lisbon stickers. I asked tha driver about it and he said that someone had put it on his car unknown to him. He was voting 'yes'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

You said the taxi drivers have been shafted by the goverment!!

Well how long did the taxi drivers shaft the general public before they got deregulated!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/uu17/brian910/TaximenNoTurkey1copy2.jpg

Taxi drivers demanding a fare wage ?

I can remember when plates cost more than houses, and Taxi drivers were averaging four times the national average. Thing is I haven't noticed prices dropping a lot since.

Taxi drivers have used up a lot of their goodwill over the years, especially those in Dublin.

How about a poster that said vote YES for cheaper Taxi's ?

@ average runner - please understand that the majority of taxi drivers that are working now started taxiing after deregulation I am one of these and I am earning one third of what I was earning five years ago and my costs are rising with more fees for renewal of licences and petrol/diesel costs making it very hard to earn a living and I have been trying to seek alternative jobs for the last two years
    I appreciate that you might feel that its important to point out that taxi drivers were earning ridiculous money before deregulation but I can assure you, that the majority that work in the industry now have never seen such affluence, please dont make this an anti taxi driver thread because these posters dont speak for me or many other taxi drivers that I have spoken to thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

mal1 wrote: »
    I was in a taxi on Friday night which had one of those no to Lisbon stickers. I asked tha driver about it and he said that someone had put it on his car unknown to him. He was voting 'yes'
    He must be one of the 10% of Taxi drivers that are voting yes. :p

@Capt'n Midnight - you might find that taxi's in Ireland are actually one of the cheapest in Europe, I appreciate your point but misinformation on this poster is more so the concerning factor dont you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

@ average runner - please understand that the majority of taxi drivers that are working now started taxiing after deregulation I am one of these and I am earning one third of what I was earning five years ago and my costs are rising with more fees for renewal of licences and petrol/diesel costs making it very hard to earn a living and I have been trying to seek alternative jobs for the last two years
    I appreciate that you might feel that its important to point out that taxi drivers were earning ridiculous money before deregulation but I can assure you, that the majority that work in the industry now have never seen such affluence, please dont make this an anti taxi driver thread because these posters dont speak for me or many other taxi drivers that I have spoken to thanks!

I'm going to second that - this is not a thread for bashing tax-drivers, although you're welcome to comment on your perception of their likely political clout.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

+1

This is not a thread about Taxi deruglation and the rights or wrongs of that.

This thread is about a shady group using drity tricks to advocate a NO vote.

He must be one of the 10% of Taxi drivers that are voting yes. :p

add me to that 10% so! :P

• Advertisement

Scofflaw wrote: »
    I'm going to second that - this is not a thread for bashing tax-drivers, although you're welcome to comment on your perception of their likely political clout.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

lol political clout?! sure we cant even stop the government from issuing licences!:D

Ah mizhell you're well behind the times.

'Taxi Drivers for NO' got 30 calls this morning about their leaflets and posters.
    28 taximen thought they were fantastic and promised support.
    Two people, of whom you are one - were giving off.

He's very encouraged by the response and will go at this No campaign full tilt.
    Taximen in Cork and in the West, as well as Dublin and Dundalk have taken this up and are running with it themselves.

Like most ordinary working people - those outside FF circle of patronage - taxidrivers will vote NO on Friday.
    We must vote No to Lisbon because:

1. Lisbon gives the EU the power to tax us. (art 311)

2. Gives the EU full control of immigration policy (art 79 and 76) and allows Turkish entry.

3. Halves Ireland’s vote at the EU Council of Ministers

4. EU Court decisions mean lower wages and worse conditions.

Can't wait to Friday.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Four bare-faced lies. Have you no shame, repeating them?

Like most ordinary working people - those outside FF circle of patronage - taxidrivers will vote NO on Friday.
    We must vote No to Lisbon because:

1. Lisbon gives the EU the power to tax us. (art 311)

2. Gives the EU full control of immigration policy (art 79 and 76) and allows Turkish entry.

3. Halves Ireland’s vote at the EU Council of Ministers

4. EU Court decisions mean lower wages and worse conditions.

Can't wait to Friday.
    Taxi drivers will vote no to Lisbon because of four things that aren't true? fair play to them. They might just succeed in making the Irish people look like an even worse pack of gobsh!tes

'Taxi Drivers for NO' got 30 calls this morning about their leaflets and posters.

you are making me dial the number and tell the guy

that i will never give a cent to a taxidriver with this political crap in their cab

you have no shame

/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

He's very encouraged by the response and will go at this No campaign full tilt.
    Taximen in Cork and in the West, as well as Dublin and Dundalk have taken this up and are running with it themselves.

Can't wait to Friday.

Hang on...

Is the named gentleman involved or not?

According to Mizhell he's denied being involved, but according to FTP, who somehow is aware of how many calls he received (can you clarify your relationship with this grouping FTP?), the gentleman is 'encouraged by the response' he is receiving.

Which is it, is the named gentleman involved or not involved with this grouping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    "aligned to the Democratic Alliance campaign group"

tis says down the bottom of the leaflet

who are they? :confused:

Dunno. A google search returns just one result - your boards.ie post.

EI.doabs whatever

So are you now threatening to ring up to attempt to intimidate the man?

Very poor form if that is what you intend to do.

Mizhell is on a wishful thinking trip.

Taximen are a very strong no group and will make their voice heard.

The government have ignored and mistreated them long enough.

If they make their voices heard by giving those four untrue reasons for a no vote they will only damage their cause

• Advertisement

EI.doabs whatever

So are you now threatening to ring up to attempt to intimidate the man?

Very poor form if that is what you intend to do.

Mizhell is on a wishful thinking trip.

The government have ignored and mistreated them long enough.

intimidate?

not at all just tell him that he will loose business as its a bad move :(

oh and its ei.sdraob or boards.ie spelled backwards :D

dvpower wrote: »
    Dunno. A google search returns just one result - your boards.ie post.

so who are they? :confused:

/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement