Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final results! decisive YES vote!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Bob_Harris wrote: »
    You'd think so, but I did actually mean mute.

I dont see how mute applies

• Registered Users Posts: 16,486 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Go into town with a megaphone and call those 1.2 million people clowns and fairies and give them a real reason for your disgust.

Your only disgusted because you lost the "battle", its not about what side wins, its what about whats best for the country.

And believe it or not, While the treaty itself has no bearing on the economy of Ireland, It will encourage spending and boost the economy because of a little something called human psychology.

If no had won we would of been further thrown into reducing spending and killing the economy because of a fear the EU will abandon us.

Nice post, although you're ignoring some pretty stark economic realities in there.
    Lisbon isn't going to suddenly attarct direct foriegn invertment back into Ireland. The game has changed since the 80's and we're no longer as attractive an option for foriegn companies, we have tough competition and wages are a huge issue in where they decide to go and right now we can't compete with other cheaper labour markets in the EU.
    So although we are now EU team players again, we still should be trying to find our own way out of our own mess instead of expecting the EU to bail us out indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Plotician

Mario007 wrote: »

if you want to get technical the jobs posters never specified if the jobs will be created or just the existing maintained or that less jobs will be lost...

The posters may have been vague, but (just as one example) you still had Eamonn Walsh saying 'Lisbon will protect and create jobs'. Not only that, he made the statement under the title 'vote for the facts not the flakes'.

There are others, and maybe Fine Gael specifically feel a bit exposed as they were the unknowing servants of FF on this one. Enda Kenny himself "a yes vote in the Lisbon referendum will help create thousands of new jobs..."

Anyway it's a done deal now so we'll just have to live with it and move on.

(and as an edit, nullzero is spot on - it'll be down to ourselves to get ourselves out of the mess - only way is to actually become competitive - natural market rules still exist).

Fuhrer wrote: »
    I dont see how mute applies

Okay, okay, enough with the pedantic posts, we get the idea I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Both sides told lies in this campaign. eu1.84 is a lie. Abortion is a lie. Lisbon=turkey is a lie. Lisbon=more jobs is a lie. Lisbon=fix our economy is a lie. Lisbon=no workers rights is a lie. And, Lisbon = we will end up as an impoveroshed minority is a lie. ( see OP, and BTW, whites in South Africa, are, by definition , not in their own country...figure that one out!)

The No side was even more dishonest & mendacious than the yes side. Last year, I voted yes. This year I voted yes. Last year , the people of Ireland voted no - the economy was on a roll, nothing was broke, nobody knew what the treaty was about, why vote yes? This year, the people of ireland ran like a herd of stampeded cattle into voting yes.

It is shameful that a nation of people in a democratic society can be governed by such short-termism. It is shameful that the campaigns run by both sides were so dishonest. I voted yes because I studied the treaty & decided it was the right thing. I may be wrong, but I tried to inform myself & look at the long term issues .I remain disappointed that the Irish electorate are so herdable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Who said Lisbon = more jobs?
    Lisbon for sustaining jobs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Plotician

efb wrote: »
    Who said Lisbon = more jobs?
    Lisbon for sustaining jobs...

Well i just gave you two examples - Google them if you need to validate.

FoxT wrote: »
    Both sides told lies in this campaign. eu1.84 is a lie. Abortion is a lie. Lisbon=turkey is a lie. Lisbon=more jobs is a lie. Lisbon=fix our economy is a lie. Lisbon=no workers rights is a lie. And, Lisbon = we will end up as an impoveroshed minority is a lie. ( see OP, and BTW, whites in South Africa, are, by definition , not in their own country...figure that one out!)

The No side was even more dishonest & mendacious than the yes side. Last year, I voted yes. This year I voted yes. Last year , the people of Ireland voted no - the economy was on a roll, nothing was broke, nobody knew what the treaty was about, why vote yes? This year, the people of ireland ran like a herd of stampeded cattle into voting yes.

It is shameful that a nation of people in a democratic society can be governed by such short-termism. It is shameful that the campaigns run by both sides were so dishonest. I voted yes because I studied the treaty & decided it was the right thing. I may be wrong, but I tried to inform myself & look at the long term issues .I remain disappointed that the Irish electorate are so herdable.

To be fair, the economy was on sh1t street at the time of the last referendum. It did get worse admittedly, but you would have to have been spectacularly stupid to not see it getting worse, especially in Ireland with our bullet proof economy based on building houses no one was buying and hoping that foriegn companies wouldn't be wooed by a better deal elsewhere. We were well on the road to ruin in June last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

Plotician wrote: »
    The posters may have been vague, but (just as one example) you still had Eamonn Walsh saying 'Lisbon will protect and create jobs'. Not only that, he made the statement under the title 'vote for the facts not the flakes'.

There are others, and maybe Fine Gael specifically feel a bit exposed as they were the unknowing servants of FF on this one. Enda Kenny himself "a yes vote in the Lisbon referendum will help create thousands of new jobs..."

Anyway it's a done deal now so we'll just have to live with it and move on.

(and as an edit, nullzero is spot on - it'll be down to ourselves to get ourselves out of the mess - only way is to actually become competitive - natural market rules still exist).

well to be honest FG kinda went mad with the job rhetoric. i'm in YFG and i have to admit that. FF was just too vague, Labour was just incompetent to be honest, if we want a summary of the parties.

it we do get cheap credit from the ECB and we were allowed until 2012 to get our finances back on track without intervention. plus after the last no vote our bonds were very hard to sell on the market.
    with regards to the jobs Lisbon can be used as a starting point to get jobs in, we have regained goodwill and confidence so it will be much easier to attract investors should our cost of doing business fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

nullzero wrote: »
    To be fair a small child could have seen that lowering the corpate tax level would attract direct foreign investment. It was FF's failure to take the economic prosperity we had and channel it into decent infrastructure that is most puzzling and annoying.
    We should have been set up in terms of infrastructure for when the inevitable crash came.
    FF carried on as if the bubble would never burst when history shows that all economic bubbles burst.
    They have been irresponsible with the power the people placed in their hands.
    They are meant to be doing what is best for us the people, instead they did what was handy for them and their cronies and pals and that is unforgiveable.

Good post.
    Disgusted with the result and at every one of the clowns and fairies who voted yes.

Then you go and thank that! :(

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    Good post.

Then you go and thank that! :(

Well I can't say that I aim to please, or even give a **** about what people think but I'll accept your original compliment and wish you well.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mario007 wrote: »
    well to be honest FG kinda went mad with the job rhetoric. i'm in YFG and i have to admit that. FF was just too vague, Labour was just incompetent to be honest, if we want a summary of the parties.

it we do get cheap credit from the ECB and we were allowed until 2012 to get our finances back on track without intervention. plus after the last no vote our bonds were very hard to sell on the market.
    with regards to the jobs Lisbon can be used as a starting point to get jobs in, we have regained goodwill and confidence so it will be much easier to attract investors should our cost of doing business fall.

My impression was it seemed to be the FG posters too. Not sure, didn't pay to much attention to them.

I think it will be up to us how we use it, as before. We wasted it in the 70/80's, used it in the 90's and wasted it in the last few years. A Yes will definitely do no harm to our position, a No wouldn't look good, though I'm sure after the fuss died down, things would have stabilised.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Mario007

K-9 wrote: »
    My impression was it seemed to be the FG posters too. Not sure, didn't pay to much attention to them.

I think it will be up to us how we use it, as before. We wasted it in the 70/80's, used it in the 90's and wasted it in the last few years. A Yes will definitely do no harm to our position, a No wouldn't look good, though I'm sure after the fuss died down, things would have stabilised.

FG posters were bad, really bad. we had to be giving out ones that didnt even have the word 'lisbon' anywhere on them...so that kinda tells you the whole story.

with regards to lisbon...if it's ratified and in force tommorow the thing is we wont notice. an ordinary person really wont notice a change from nice to lisbon...its basically that kind of a treaty.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Dannyboi3k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 odoylerulez

I agree with the poster who said the electorate knew what they were voting on is wrong and still did it anyway. I have a theory. I think the irish population enjoy it like a kind of personal torture. You know what play along with it because when you get over the petty differences etc its really hilarious. We destroyed our democracy and ruined our country!! Tehehehehe

Its like we are playing monopoly with the country and the future of humanity in so many countries. Fun times lie ahead. Im so looking forward to the next few months and i know secretly a lot of people who voted yes are as well because deep down they know the truth. They know damn well the politicians are lying through their rear ends. They know they don't really give a flying monkeys about what the electorate wants. But you know they just voted yes anyway just so that when it all goes wrong they can all complain!

You know its true because apparently 67 per cent of voters voted yes yet the overwhelming majority of people are p))ssed off at the result...LOL. I mean did you see the yes celebration at the election hq. I just saw 4 people jumping up and down with one flag and everybody else looking at them going wtf are those twats doing? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I agree with the poster who said the electorate knew what they were voting on is wrong and still did it anyway. I have a theory. I think the irish population enjoy it like a kind of personal torture. You know what play along with it because when you get over the petty differences etc its really hilarious. We destroyed our democracy and ruined our country!! Tehehehehe

Its like we are playing monopoly with the country and the future of humanity in so many countries. Fun times lie ahead. Im so looking forward to the next few months and i know secretly a lot of people who voted yes are as well because deep down they know the truth. They know damn well the politicians are lying through their rear ends. They know they don't really give a flying monkeys about what the electorate wants. But you know they just voted yes anyway just so that when it all goes wrong they can all complain!

You know its true because apparently 67 per cent of voters voted yes yet the overwhelming majority of people are p))ssed off at the result...LOL. I mean did you see the yes celebration at the election hq. I just saw 4 people jumping up and down with one flag and everybody else looking at them going wtf are those twats doing? Lol

Whatever you're on mate, I want in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Well i hope so that he gets his chance
    Half of Europe had hoped of a Irish no vote
    the whole way to get this treaty get passed is pure criminal
    Because

Netherlands vote NO. Government ratifies the Convention.
    France says NO. Government ratifies the Convention.
    Ireland votes NO. EU says: Go and vote again until a YES.

Is that Democracy? The EU is a democratic institution?

George Orwell 1984 is on your doormat.

marco_polo wrote: »
    Aggregate scores should suffice as a tie breaker.

Yes: 1,966,719
    No: 1,482,077

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62379441&postcount=127

i will keep linking to the above fact until some people get the facts. fact! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

ei.sdraob wrote: »

End of the day, Cameron is making big noises about Ireland getting two votes on Referendum. So if tories get in it would seem they will push for a no vote.

End of the day, Cameron is making big noises about Ireland getting two votes on Referendum. So if tories get in it would seem they will push for a no vote.

well they can do whatever they want in their country

they could start by getting a constitution and getting rid of the monarch :D that be something

as long as them Brits dont send that dip**** from UKIP Nigel Farage our direction again :D i dont care what they do

if they want to leave the EU, off they go, good riddance some might say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

I'm sorry could you link to the sources where it says that an aggregate score is the tie breaker?

Otherwise you're just a liar.

I'm sorry could you link to the sources where it says that an aggregate score is the tie breaker?

Otherwise you're just a liar.

Lisbon 1:

YES: 752,451 votes
    NO: 862,415 votes

source: http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/thelisbontreaty/interactive/

Lisbon 2:

YES: 1,214,268 votes
    NO: 594,606 votes

source: http://www.referendum.ie/referendum/current/resultsummary.asp?ballotid=79

Lisbon 1 + Lisbon 2:

YES: 1,966,719
    NO: 1,457,021

YOU GONNA CALL ME LIAR AGAIN?

Lisbon 1:

YES: 752,451 votes
    NO: 862,415 votes

source: http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/thelisbontreaty/interactive/

Lisbon 2:

YES: 1,214,268 votes
    NO: 594,606 votes

source: http://www.referendum.ie/referendum/current/resultsummary.asp?ballotid=79

Lisbon 1 + Lisbon 2:

YES: 1,966,719
    NO: 1,457,021

YOU GONNA CALL ME LIAR AGAIN?

Show me an official statement that deems an aggregate score to be the tie breaker.

Show me an official statement that deems an aggregate score to be the tie breaker.

1,966,719 is a larger number than 1,457,021

Oh, good god

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If, and only if, the Treaty is not in force:
    David Cameron has reiterated his promise to put the Lisbon Treaty to a referendum in the UK if his party gains power before it is implemented.

The Conservative leader said: 'There will be no change in our policy on Europe. There will be no change in Conservative policy as long as the Lisbon Treaty is still not in force.

'I have said repeatedly that I want us to have a referendum. If the treaty is not ratified in all member states and not in force when the election is held, and if we are elected, then we will hold a referendum on it,' he added.

Source

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

well they can do whatever they want in their country

they could start by getting a constitution and getting rid of the monarch :D that be something

as long as them Brits dont send that dip**** from UKIP Nigel Farage our direction again :D i dont care what they do

if they want to leave the EU, off they go, good riddance some might say
    Have a feeling Ganley will be making a phone call to Cameron or visa versa soon!

1,966,719 is a larger number than 1,457,021

Well done, it really is.

But you are so smugly using the argument that somehow an aggregate score is a tie breaker.

Again, show me your source for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

It's written immediately after the official statement that requires such a tie-breaker in the first place.

amused,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement

Well done, it really is.

But you are so smugly using the argument that somehow an aggregate score is a tie breaker.

Again, show me your source for this.

OH GOOD GOD!

Advertisement