Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Patty Hearst heir to the Hearst media empire robbing a bank ;

g_10.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

Very much enjoyed the last 3-4 hours going through this thread. Thanks to all contributers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Morlar wrote: »
    Patty Hearst heir to the Hearst media empire robbing a bank ;

g_10.jpg

this to do with Stockholm syndrome?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Still with the space theme...

Apollo 11

413px-John_F._Kennedy_speaks_at_Rice_University.jpg

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard."

apollo11.jpg

Left to right: Armstrong, Collins, Aldrin

Saturn V rocket, designed under the direction of Wernher von Braun, would take them to space on their way to the Moon 238,857 miles away....

6-09-apollo-11-saturn-V-rocket.jpg

Apollo_11_liftoff.jpg

480px-Apollo_11_launch.jpg

1969 lift off....A condensation cloud forms around an interstage as the Saturn V approached Mach 1, one minute into the flight.

Saturn V is 110 metres high....just 10 metres shorter then the Spire of Dublin. It's one tall ass machine that contained three million parts in a labyrinth of fuel lines, pumps, gauges, sensors, circuits, and switches--each of which had to function reliably, and did.
    NASA had planned for 0.1% failure rate on the 3,000,000 parts, which meant a possible 3,000 parts failing. :eek:
    All 13 Saturn V launched successfully!

6550.jpg

'Earthrise' viewed from lunar orbit prior to landing.
    A famous picture in it's own right. Some say the most famous picture ever taken?

602px-Apollo_11_Lunar_Module_Eagle_in_landing_configuration_in_lunar_orbit_from_the_Command_and_Service_Module_Columbia.jpg
    The Apollo 11 Lunar Module Eagle, in a landing configuration was photographed in lunar orbit from the Command and Service Module Columbia. Inside the module were Commander Neil A. Armstrong and Lunar Module Pilot Buzz Aldrin. The long rod-like protrusions under the landing pods are lunar surface sensing probes. Upon contact with the lunar surface, the probes sent a signal to the crew to shut down the descent engine.

as11_37_5445.jpg
    The Apollo 11 Command and Service Modules are photographed from the Lunar Module in lunar orbit during the Apollo 11 lunar landing mission

39601.jpg
    Flight controllers during Lunar decent....

5454.jpg
    Armstrong wrote:
    "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Armstrong continued with the remainder of the post landing checklist, "Engine arm is off." before responding to Duke with the famous words, "Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed." Armstrong's abrupt change of call sign from "Eagle" to "Tranquility Base" caused momentary confusion at Mission Control and Duke remained silent for a couple of seconds before replying: "Roger, Twank...Tranquility, we copy you on the ground. You got a bunch of guys about to turn blue. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot!" expressing the relief of Mission Control after the unexpectedly drawn-out descent.

Apollo_11_first_step.jpg
    Neil Armstrong descending the ladder on the lunar module.
    (Polaroid image of slow scan television monitor at Goldstone Station)

After describing the surface dust ("fine and almost like a powder"), Armstrong stepped off Eagle's footpad and into history as the first human to set foot on another world.
    It was then that he uttered his famous line "That's one small step for [a] man, one giant leap for mankind" six and a half hours after landing.
    Aldrin joined him, describing the view as "Magnificent desolation."

Watch Neil & Buzz in recently restored HD video too
    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/hd/apollo11.html

5863.jpg
    Aldrin exits the Lunar Module

5869.jpg
    Aldrin on the LM footpad

5902.jpg
    Aldrin stands beside LM strut and probe

Continued......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

There are famously no good photos of Neil Armstrong on the Moon.
    This was because for the majority of the Apollo 11 EVA, Armstrong had the camera, and so most of the historic photographs taken during the Apollo 11 mission, show Buzz Aldrin.
    The only high quality 70mm photo of Neil shows his back in a panorama, and the only other images were from the grainy TV and film footage.

Neil_Armstrong_Pan.jpg

We all know this famous picture from the moon landings....

5903.jpg
    Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin standing on surface of Moon near leg of Lunar Module 'Eagle' with reflection of astronaut Neil Armstrong & module shining on face mask.

This is in theory only the 2nd 70mm photo of Neil Armstrong standing on the surface of the moon.
    But the funny part is, that Neil took the photo himself! It is actually a close up shot of Buzz Aldrin's reflective visor, which shows Neil as the photographer as a mirror image.

Using digital imaging techniques we zoomed in on Buzz's visor and cropped, flipped and de-sphered, the reflection to get the rare shot of Armstrong as Buzz would have looked back at him during the famous shot.

Incidentally, the small blue dot at the top of the photo is actually the Earth!

neil_on_moon_diagram.jpg

Neil_Armstrong_on_the_moon.jpg

Amazing!
    http://moonpans.com/Neil_Armstrong_on_the_moon.htm

45325main_MM_Image_Feature_69_rs4.jpg
    Aldrin's bootprint on the moon

That's still up there, exactly as it was left 40 years ago and likey for a few hundred years yet.

5480.jpg
    Flag and TV camera viewed from LM window

5528.jpg
    Armstrong in LM after historic moonwalk

The look on his face is priceless.

6642.jpg
    LM approaches CSM for docking / earthrise in b.g. July 21, 1969

6692.jpg
    Closeup of Earth and terminator, 1969

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/84/Apollo_15_descends_to_splashdown.jpg
    July 24, Apollo 11 splashdown after 8 days, 3 hours, 18 minutes

40023.jpg
    Mission Control celebrates after splashdown

nixon.jpg
    President Richard M. Nixon greets the Apollo 11 Astronauts, who are now quarantined, aboard the U.S.S. Hornet.

Should have been JFK :(

3724356158_bc3ffe355f.jpg
    This is the actual spacecraft that carried Armstrong, Aldrin, and Collins to the moon and back. On Display at National Air and Space Museum in Washington DC

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/LRO/multimedia/lroimages/lroc_200911109_apollo11.html

400201main1_lroc_apollo11_20091109_540.jpg
    LRO Gets Additional View of Apollo 11 Landing Site taken 2009 (click for larger pic)

onegiantleap.jpg

Taken by the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter 2009, this high-resolution picture clearly shows the landing site of the Eagle, just a few meters from West Crater.
    Large boulders and rubble are strewn to the left of the crater; the very same debris that caused Armstrong to take control of the Lunar Module from the computer and find a safe, flat place to land.
    He made it with mere seconds left in the fuel reserves, showing just why it’s sometimes critical to have a human at the wheel.
    And there the lander sits, not even a half kilometer from certain destruction, showing how the history of humanity sometimes rests on a razor’s edge.
    In the zoomed section of the image, you can see the lander, its four footpads, and even the darker material around it as the astronauts’ bootprints stirred the lunar dust for the first time in perhaps millions of years.
    The arrow marks the position of the ladder affixed to the lander’s leg, the very place where Armstrong left the manmade vehicle and stepped into completely unknown territory.

And that folks are the best pics I'm ever gonna be able to add to this thread. If you don't find that moving, there's something wrong with you.

• Advertisement

this to do with Stockholm syndrome?

According to her OJ lawyer she had been raped & abused by her kidnappers (Simbioneese liberation army) & the defence was that she suffered stockholm syndrome when she robbed the bank. She got something like 35 yrs and served 2 due to a presidential pardon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Oskar%20Schindler.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

What is the significance of the stones? I don't think the movie explained it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Blisterman wrote: »
    I believe it is a Jewish custom. It marks that they have been there and that they respect the one who has passed on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

marsfacebw.jpg

• Advertisement

I did a search of the thread for 'Hostage' or 'Bigley' and found nothing so I am guessing this one hasn't been done yet.

xin_45090121080021007241.jpg

PS if you want to see photoshopped pics search google images for 'skinny celebrities' there are 14 done for an anorexia awareness viral campaign which are pretty shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Chanandler Bong

Blisterman wrote: »

It is a custom that dates back to Biblical times, when stones were used to protect the graves of loved ones from wild animals. These days it signifies that someone cares and has been there. A stone is viewed as more permanent than flowers and is the ultimate sign of respect in the Jewish community

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

1460957.jpg
    Flowers rest on a bench below a bullet hole in a window in a strip mall October 5, 2002 in Silver Spring, Maryland.

The Beltway sniper attacks took place during three weeks in October 2002 in Washington, D.C., Maryland, and Virginia. Ten people were killed and three others critically injured in various locations throughout the Washington Metropolitan Area and along Interstate 95 in Virginia. It was widely speculated that a single sniper was using the Capital Beltway for travel, possibly in a white van or truck. It was later learned that the rampage was perpetrated by one man, John Allen Muhammad, and one minor, Lee Boyd Malvo, driving a blue 1990 Chevrolet Caprice sedan, and had apparently begun the month before with murders and robbery in Louisiana and Alabama, which had resulted in three deaths.

In September 2003, Muhammad was sentenced to death. One month later, Malvo was sentenced to six consecutive life sentences without the possibility of parole. On November 10, 2009, Muhammad was executed by lethal injection.

article-1226565-072981E0000005DC-92.jpg
    A Bushmaster .223-caliber weapon and bipod were found in a bag in Muhammad's car. Ballistics tests later conclusively linked the seized rifle to 11 of the 14 shootings, including one in which no one was injured.

john2-420x0.jpg
    Lee Boyd Malvo on left, John Allen Muhammad on right

More information available at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltway_sniper_attacks

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

meredith-jpg.jpg

First African-American student at the University of Mississippi, James Meredith was a reviled figure. During a voter registration march (the March Against Fear) for the African-Americans on June 6th 1967, he was ambushed by the white supremacists who shouted, “I just want James Meredith!” The sniper fire by Aubrey James Norvell hit him in the head, neck, back and legs.

A novice photographer for AP, Jim Thornell was on the scene for the voter registration march and he took two rolls of pictures. He then drove back to Memphis in a panic, convinced he would be fired for failing to photograph both the assailant and the victim. Minutes passed before an ambulance reached Meredith, who lay in the road alone, shouting “Isn’t anyone going to help me?”. The photo (and the event itself) was a flash point in the American civil rights movement. It united and galvanized the scattered civil rights movement. The photo won the Pulitzer Prize for Photography in 1967.

Meredith himself survived, and made several attempts to be elected to Congress as a Republican.

50397260.jpg

Good article on it here - http://www.americanheritage.com/articles/web/20060606-james-meredith-education-ole-miss-columbia-segregation-martin-luther-king-black-power-march.shtml

Korean Americans targetted during the LA Riots

wEdSungLee.jpg

One Korean american shows up to assist Korean businesses from looting

riotyouth.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Killinator

Eisenhower meets the men of the 502nd PIR as they get ready to go to war on the 5th June 1944, D-DAy -1

Eisenhower_d-day.jpg

More info on the photo here:
    http://www.historyaddict.com/Ike502nd.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Joseph_Carey_Merrick.png
    Joseph Merrick - "The Elephant Man"

treeMAN.jpg
    Dede Koswara - Tree Man

jackjohn2.jpg
    The first black world heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson shocked the world in a few ways, not only by becoming world champion but by constantly going in public to places where black people weren't allowed, and by also being involved in relationships with white women.

MikeTheHeadlessChicken.jpg
    Mike the Headless Chicken

My little contribution to an amazing topic.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

These are all more iconic than world-shaking.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    95275267qv4.jpg

On a related note, MAJ Bieger. I note I'm not the first person to post it, but I worked for him in Mosul.

Little-Girl-in-Mosul.jpg

Won Time Photo of the Year, if I recall correctly.
    L.A Riots

I can't find it offhand, but one fairly iconic photo from the riots is of three Korean shopowners on their roofs with semi-automatic rifles.
    There's a reason I suppose but still I doubt she would have(Or rather her parents would have let her) sign a bomb "with love" unless they actually suffered because of violence. Either that or she's just evil.

Dark humour written on bombs is nothing new, nor is it confined to the English-Speaking-World. For example, there's a photo (I only have it in print) of an Argentine ordie signing a bomb on an A-4 with "Greetings to the Prince!" written on it in Spanish. (Referencing the fact that Prince Andrew was serving aboard one of the British carriers).

Speaking of bombs, this one's fairly famous in the attack aviation world.

orig.jpg

And for the Falklands, these two are pretty iconic as well.

falklands_6_yomp.jpg
    (Royal Marine on the long yomp)

_42309832_sirgalahad203pa.jpg
    (RFA Sir Galahad burns. Some of the most iconic video footage shows lifeboats floating to shore with the ship/inferno in the background)

HMS-Antelope-BBC-2-S.jpg
    (The end of HMS Antelope. It's amazing how many people today think that the UK just walked over some poncy banana dictatorship. Argentina was no pushover)

Keeping with the military theme, Berlin, Checkpoint Charlie.
    checkpointcharliestandovq8.jpg

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 deadinterest

Dark humour written on bombs is nothing new, nor is it confined to the English-Speaking-World. For example, there's a photo (I only have it in print) of an Argentine ordie signing a bomb on an A-4 with "Greetings to the Prince!" written on it in Spanish. (Referencing the fact that Prince Andrew was serving aboard one of the British carriers).

NTM

But children doing it add that special touch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,263 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

image.jpg
    The launch of USS Nautilus. Clean, effectively limitless power.

nadia-2.jpg
    Earthshaking, no. Earth-known, yes.

On a related note.
    78956221.jpg%3Fv%3D1%26c%3DIWSAsset%26k%3D2%26d%3D17A4AD9FDB9CF1939DE8499A909080642845C8EA0E6350C7&usg=AFQjCNHbFlPlGlxLV_zSwCUcOBQPMwsiOQ

And combining military with sport was this shocker in 1988
    bobsled.jpg

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Folks I have removed a number of posts which contain bitching and moaning. I have been doing this periodically throughout the thread. Similary I have removed a bunch of pictures that have been posted for what appears to be no reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭WhatWillBee

Link very NSFW. Contains nudity.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1188/1453634082_3f0edf7e4c_o.jpg
    he above disturbing image is that of a self-confessed anorexic and model by the name of Isabelle Caro. She’s 27 (twenty seven) years old and weighs about 70 lbs. That’s roughly 31 kgs. She has been starving herself since the age of 12. Part of an ad campaign unveiled by an Italian clothing company called Nolita

Dunno if anyone else remembers this, saw a documentary on this girl, shes still starving herself apparently. Given the amount of pictures people have posted from famines, I think this says a lot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

Possibly one of the most famous WW1 photographs, I don't recall seeing it posted here yet, a dead German soldier:

k00016.jpg

Not earth shaking but historically significant, the home made armour Ned Kelly wore:

Ned_kelly_armour_library.JPG

And finally one from my own neck of the woods, I often wonder what this EOD tech was thinking as he walked by that poster;

Eod_technician_ireland.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I must say, this thread is amazing. Well done to everyone.

A soldier leading an elderly woman through a Mumbai train station after last year's terrorist attacks which left 173 dead.

DD037077-C8B6-FB6A-1070EE301856C7FC.jpg

Dresses hang on dozens of pink crosses in protest at the ongoing abuction and murder of women in Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. The official number of murdered women is 400 in the last 10 years (in a city with a population of 1.4m). Locals say the actual number is a lot higher.

125205339_b06ad89343.jpg

The dead are piled up to be cremated in the German city of Dresden after the Allies bombed it during WWII. The city was completely decimated and the number of dead is estimated to have been about 25,000. I'm not sure if Britain or America has ever apologised.

Dresden-feb-1945.jpg

Finally, I know Jonestown has been mentioned before but I thought this picture was particularly poignant because of the sign. It reads: "Those who do not remember the past are condemned to repeat it".

JonestownRememberPast.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 xuza

<throws a warning, mod>

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

jeffreydahmer.jpg

EDIT: pic is no longer showing up for me, link to a similar one here

The whole 'matter-of-fact' look on this serial killer's face is what does it for me in this picture. Chilling.

Mostly paraphrased/quoted from Wikipedia:

Jeffrey Dahmer was convicted of 15 murders in 1992. One of his victims was a 14-year old who escaped and was found by passers-by drugged and bleeding in the street. The police were called but Dahmer convinced them that the boy was his lover and they'd just had a fight. The police, the boy & Dahmer went back to Dahmer's apartment where the police noticed a strange smell. Without checking it out they released the kid and went on their way. Dahmer murdered and dismembered the boy that night, and the smell was another victim decomposing in the apartment. It was nearly 2 months and 4 murders later, when another man escaped, that Dahmer was eventually caught:

"As one officer subdued Dahmer, the other opened the refrigerator and found a human head. Further searching of the apartment revealed three more severed heads, multiple photographs of murdered victims and human remains, severed hands and penises, and photographs of dismembered victims and human remains in his refrigerator.[40]

The story of Dahmer's arrest and the inventory in his apartment quickly gained notoriety: several corpses were stored in acid-filled vats, and implements for the construction of an altar of candles and human skulls were found in his closet. Accusations soon surfaced that Dahmer had practiced necrophilia and cannibalism. Seven skulls were found in the apartment.[41] A human heart was found in the freezer.[42]"

Two of the police officers that released the boy back to Dahmer were fired, with recordings made public of them making homophobic comments on the night in question. They appealed their dismissals, were reinstated, and later named officers of the year by the police union. One was subsequently elected president of the Milwaukee Police Association. The apartment block was demolished after the trial and Dahmer was murdered in prison by another inmate in 1994.

Almost unbelievably, a series of youtube videos interviewing Dahmer and his Father can be viewed here. Pure, concentrated evil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

csm wrote: »
    jeffreydahmer.jpg

Almost unbelievably, a series of youtube videos interviewing Dahmer and his Father can be viewed here. Pure, concentrated evil.

I just watched that interview, I was almost as unsettled by the father as I was by Dahmer himself, can't quite put my finger on it but there was something there.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭csm

I just watched that interview, I was almost as unsettled by the father as I was by Dahmer himself, can't quite put my finger on it but there was something there.

Yeah I know what you mean. Both of them were so emotionless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

csm wrote: »
    Yeah I know what you mean. Both of them were so emotionless.

'more and more deviant type behaviours to satisfy [my] urges'. This is after a few killings; and pouring acid into one head to make a living zombie (wtf).

It's like as if Dahmer is talking about a drink or drug addiction and how it spiralled out of control. Very weird to watch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Apologises if already posted, but the below pic for me represents a small piece of hell on earth, otherwise known as the Gaza Strip.

92721298277.jpg
    Palestinian civilians and medics run to safety during an Israeli strike over a UN school in Beit Lahia, northern Gaza Strip early on January 17, 2009. A woman and a child were killed early today in the Israeli strike on the UN-run school in northern Gaza where civilians were sheltering from the fighting, medics and witnesses said. (MOHAMMED ABED/AFP/Getty Images)
    Source

Advertisement