Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Larry Murphy (Read mod note on post 1 before posting)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 alexwood

Lets get real here. The idea of a mob waiting outside some halfway house is wrong. I understand that people are disgusted that this man has been released and worse that he did not even show a hint of remorse and is could strike again. The only way to deal with this is to do it the way the English do it and publish where he currently is. That way there is no confusion and no need for people to be scared. If something happens to him due to his location being published then so be it. That is a matter for the Garda and Im sure no reasonable person will take the law into their own hands and deal with him themselves. His location needs to be published as it is the ONLY way that people will feel safe. Now dont get me wrong Im not in any way defending this scumbag but an angry mob will achieve nothing at all. However if we all knew his whereabouts Im sure it would calm the situation down and if it does not and somebody takes matters further then to be honest I for one would have no sympathy for him as what he did was one of the worst I have ever come accross.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

smokedeels wrote: »
    Nope, everyone does. It's the law.

Can you point me in the direction of the statute that states the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭rebelmomma

I was in court as I failed to pay my TV licence.
    Guess you wouldn't like me as a neighbour, I'm scum :(

But I ended up in the court report of the local paper :D

I don't think there is a need to name me and every other person involved in stupid small things on a website.

But it seems you want everyone listed.
    Such a thing already exists, it's the court report of your local paper

I don't agree with time being wasted on people not paying tv licences when there are scumbags on our streets walking free knowing there is no one going to get them. I never said not paying your tv licence made you a scumbag. Are you saying you wouldnt' like to know if there were violent criminals in your area?
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    There are plenty of crimes you could commit that do not in any way make you a 'danger to the public'. Laws exist for reasons other than protecting the public I can assure you.

Because every crime has to have a 'victim'?

I obey the law, pay my taxes etc. I struggle to pay my mortgage since being made redundant and will probably loose my house by march next year. I have worked hard all my life and all I ask from the government that I worked to support is to protect me and my children. The point is there are victimless crimes (in your opinion) I am mostly concerned with the ones that do have victims and do make you a danger to the public. Selfish I know but that is just me.I was asked my opinion of whether I thought all criminals should be named and shames and I gave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Miss Dymph wrote: »
    I think everyone regardless of where they live has a right to feel threatened when an unrepentant rapist is released into society in their country. I attend college in Carlow from September to June and so yes, i do feel threatened and i think that if you dont feel threatened and dont have your wits about you because of feeling threatened then you become a prime target for anyone looking to violate your rights as a person. As i said i believe in second chances but i also think this 'frenzy' as you put it is justified as Larry Murphy has never apologised for his actions and was merely put in a building with other people for 10 years and was then allowed back out into the world again with still no regret for the person/people who's lives he has destroyed forever. So 'frenzy' away because this man genuinely doesnt deserve our leniency..he never showed any.

You my friend is what is wrong with modern Ireland, lets hope your not studying Journalism.

Crazy carzy crazy stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Miss Dymph

Nope, everyone does. It's the law.

Its the law that someone deserves a second chance??? No it isnt. Show me where it says in the constitution that everyone deserves a second chance...I'm all for people having second chances but the law has released Larry Murphy and that was the law...the people of Ireland are not obliged to forgive and be less afraid and give second chances, thats not the law.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

alexwood wrote: »
    ...Now dont get me wrong Im not in any way defending this scumbag but an angry mob will achieve nothing at all. However if we all knew his whereabouts Im sure it would calm the situation down and if it does not and somebody takes matters further then to be honest I for one would have no sympathy for him as what he did was one of the worst I have ever come accross.

Once that location didn't happen to be near any other citizens, nobody wants this guy living next door for what are very obvious reasons. It's grand saying just publish his whereabouts and it'll calm everything down, sure it's very easy to say that when it's somewhere not near you. Would you genuinely have the same attitude if he was living across the road from you???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

rebelmomma wrote: »
    I don't agree with time being wasted on people not paying tv licences when there are scumbags on our streets walking free knowing there is no one going to get them. I never said not paying your tv licence made you a scumbag. Are you saying you wouldnt' like to know if there were violent criminals in your area?

I'm not disagreeing with you.
    But when you post that you want everyone with a conviction that does mean everyone, even the person in the District Courtwith no motor tax or NCT or stupid small things

So I brought up that point, that's all

If your website is just for violent offenders then post that and don't say, everyone with a conviction goes on it

whycliff wrote: »
    You my friend is what is wrong with modern Ireland, lets hope your not studying Journalism.

Crazy carzy crazy stuff altogether.

I am the sole problem with modern Ireland? Wow, intellectual statement there. I am not in favour of running around the country campaigning outside where he may or may not be but im also not in favour of not blinking an eye when a high risk of re-offending criminal is released. You have your opinion my friend, i have mine and judging from the uproar and the petitions to prevent his release, my opinion is shared.

MrDarcy wrote: »
    Once that location didn't happen to be near any other citizens, nobody wants this guy living next door for what are very obvious reasons. It's grand saying just publish his whereabouts and it'll calm everything down, sure it's very easy to say that when it's somewhere not near you. Would you genuinely have the same attitude if he was living across the road from you???

I would prefer to know he was living close to me so I could be prepared than to wonder where he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Its the law that someone deserves a second chance??? No it isnt..

you commit a crime

you carry out a sentence

you're free.

that's a "second chance"

the collective forgiveness of the nation is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Leave the guy alone, he's paid his dues to society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

i think that if you dont feel threatened and dont have your wits about you because of feeling threatened then you become a prime target for anyone looking to violate your rights as a person.

You don't need to feel threatened to have your wits about you...

Seriously, Larry Murphy is a real scumbag but to be honest, he's one of many. At least we know what he looks like - you could have a murderer/rapist/paedo living next door to you and not have a clue. You're as safe today as you were this time last week.

you commit a crime

you carry out a sentence

you're free.

Im not disputing that at all. The time to dispute that would have been when he was sentenced. You're missing the central point of the thread. People are reacting in anger and fear which is completely justified. A few years does not dispel any feeling caused by his atrocious crimes.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

right....... if you say so

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Im sure his poor victim/s will be happy to hear that.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

I am the sole problem with modern Ireland? Wow, intellectual statement there. I am not in favour of running around the country campaigning outside where he may or may not be but im also not in favour of not blinking an eye when a high risk of re-offending criminal is released. You have your opinion my friend, i have mine and judging from the uproar and the petitions to prevent his release, my opinion is shared.

Your quite the intellect yourself, one would think you would read someone post properly in its entirety.

I suppose there are a lot of unemplyed people at the moment in Ireland with nothing to do, campaigns and pitchforks may give their lives some meaning.

I work in a predominantly female environment, and they have yet to mention Larry Murphy.

Maybe they are too scared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

At least the Herald has something else to write about, the criminal underworld stories of Dublin were only headlining 4 times a week. Perhaps they can get a combo story out of the two? Fat Freddie Eats Larry

rebelmomma wrote: »
    I would prefer to know he was living close to me so I could be prepared than to wonder where he was.

Having him living near you would change your life. Things you might normally do, like maybe for instance putting the bins out last thing at night, imagine if you did that and there he was across the road looking over at you, you'd be freaked out, given his reputation for stalking the woman that he attacked before he attacked her. I don't think it would be possible to live a normal life with this guy living on your street, you'd have to watch everything, your kids couldn't play outside, you couldn't go for a walk on your own, you would be living on your nerve. This guy's explanation for attacking the woman at the time was, "I just flipped"... Who is to say he won't "just flip", again, when you'd be putting out your bins or getting something out of the boot of your car???

As I said, it's easy to be so neutral on the matter this side of someone telling you that he is living across the street from you.

Your quite the intellect yourself, one would think you would read someone post properly in its entirety.

I suppose there are a lot of unemplyed people at the moment in Ireland with nothing to do, campaigns and pitchforks may give their lives some meaning.

I work in a predominantly female environment, and they have yet to mention Larry Murphy.

Maybe they are too scared.

If i worked in your environment, i would not feel the unspeakable urge to confide to or near you either. You come across as very arrogant and are either failing to understand the fears of women or you are simply in agreement with Larry Murphy, that in fact he did nothing wrong. If so, then your views are most unwelcome.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Folks I'm pruning and trimming this thread as we go to ensure boards is safe from a legal angle and that the usual forum rules are adhered to. I would like to thank all posters for being so vigilant in reporting posts and if you have any questions re: deleted or edited posts please drop me a private message.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Folks I'm pruning and trimming this thread as we go to ensure boards is safe from a legal angle and that the usual forum rules are adhered to. I would like to thank all posters for being so vigilant in reporting posts and if you have any questions re: deleted or edited posts please drop me a private message.

Good man Dr.

Must say I don't envy your roll especially in a thread of this type.

Keep up the good work , it's the mods that do such a great job of not allowing this place decend into the mire.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

I've only read a few posts in here, but it looks like the linch mob has already formed!! :rolleyes:
    I'm sure with the hype over this case, that the Gardai are watching his every step. Not that I have much faith in the justice system in this country, but I have a bit of faith that the boys in blue will keep this fella fairly in check.

cowzerp wrote: »

victim. his crime was bad, you don't need to distort facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

cowzerp wrote: »
    I'm sure she will be happy justice has been served.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭ben bedlam

Yea, its very important that we don't say anything that might upset Larry Murphy or slander his good reputation. Great job Bollocko.

I've only read a few posts in here, but it looks like the linch mob has already formed!! :rolleyes:
    I'm sure with the hype over this case, that the Gardai are watching his every step. Not that I have much faith in the justice system in this country, but I have a bit of faith that the boys in blue will keep this fella fairly in check.

There is another school of thought here that might suggest that if he cannot have any quality of life on the outside, given that there is a lynch mob wandering around the country looking for him waiting to report his location, that he could be well inclined to attack again purely for the purposes of getting put back into prison where he is relatively safe amongst people who have committed similar crimes as he has...

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

victim. his crime was bad, you don't need to distort facts.
    Well, there was the incident with his wife's friend that went unreported until years later, where he was driving her home, sped up the back entrance of a farm and lunged at her. He was choking her when she broke free and ran up the road. He caught up with her and pleaded with her not to tell his wife.

She qualifies as a victim. Using 'victims' is perfectly accurate.

If i worked in your environment, i would not feel the unspeakable urge to confide to or near you either. You come across as very arrogant and are either failing to understand the fears of women or you are simply in agreement with Larry Murphy, that in fact he did nothing wrong. If so, then your views are most unwelcome.

In agreement with Larry Murphy? I didnt realise there was anything to agree or disagree with him about.

I think the man is a scumbag, the lowest of the low. Anyone man who rapes a woman deserves to be dealt with so that he no longer has any sexual urges.

Do i agree with the sensationalism, the pitchforks, the outrageous statements some of which your guilty of, the media hounding- No. Simple as that.

Its not a society I want Ireland to develop into.

FastFuse wrote: »
    Well, there was the incident with his wife's friend that went unreported until years later, where he was driving her home, sped up the back entrance of a farm and lunged at her. He was choking her when she broke free and ran up the road. He caught up with her and pleaded with her not to tell his wife.

She qualifies as a victim. Using 'victims' is perfectly accurate.

was he charged and convicted of that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

In agreement with Larry Murphy? I didnt realise there was anything to agree or disagree with him about.
    I think the man is a scumbag, the lowest of the low. Anyone man who rapes a woman deserves to be dealt with so that he no longer has any sexual urges.Do i agree with the sensationalism, the pitchforks, the outrageous statements some of which your guilty of, the media hounding- No. Simple as that. Its not a society I want Ireland to develop into.

So just how do you go about removing a man's capability to have sexual urges :rolleyes:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement