Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American top 30

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

After the plug from the podcast (cheers Sean) think im going to give this a few more days votes have dried up but there are a load of posters who could still vote.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

if there's some board regulars that haven't yet posted, consider PM'ing them?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

dammit i forgot all about this...

Whats the final date BH?

CMpunked wrote: »
    dammit i forgot all about this...

Whats the final date BH?

Was Originally going to be until the 6th, but after the plug on the podcast I think ill wait till the 13th. So an extra week and lots of time for the people who havent to get their votes in. Not a bad idea Jayk and i might try it with a day or 2 left but there are quite a lot of people who havent replied so hopefully that will change b efore i have to potentially annoy some with a pm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,081 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

my top 10:

1. Daniel Bryan.

Match of the Night every PPV these days, and even while saddled with a questionable "geek" gimmick, and being torn to shreds weekly by Cole, he has still brought some long missing credibility back to the US Title (sorry Miz).

2. John Cena

He's continued to put over talent, while continuing to bring believable quality matches out of them. Sheamus and Barrett have been the big beneficiaries, and Cena has almost single handedly made Nexus what they are.

This is all while not even mentioning the awesome build and much better than expected Wrestlemania match with Batista, as well as the 'I Quit' match with Orton. He can be proud of his year.

3. Kurt Angle

Vies with Daniel Bryan for the title of the 'best in the world'. Match of the Year with Mr Anderson, and the storyline where he sat back and wrestled TNA's top 10 was excellent.

he continues, especially in Shawn Michaels' absence, to be the standard bearer in the business. but watch your back Kurt, Daniel Bryan will take over ;)

4. MCMG

i just fúcking love them. they make tag team wrestling relevant. 'nuff said.

5. Chris Jericho

he was, and still would be, the best in the best in the business on the mic. he carried Edge at Mania, in fact, he carried the whole feud. he's just so damn entertaining, and the fact he jobbed so much, and finished the year early, means he's not higher up the list.

a wonderfully selfless worker, a damn fine entertainer, and he deserves to go down as an all-time great.

6. Rey Mysterio

a bona-fide all time great. how he has continued to perform like he has despite being at about 20% of his powers is sheer lunacy. the man is a legend, who probably doesn't get recognised as he should due to the fact he's so kid-friendly.

he's had memorable feuds with Punk, and even Kane. plus, he is in the midst of what could be an epic one with Del Rio. Rey can hold his head high this year.

7. Alberto Del Rio

fúck Wade Barrett, this guy has been the breakout star of the year; outstanding charisma, he can work, he hasn't needed the entire show focused on him to get over, and he is a nailed-on World Champion. the heat he could garner with the belt is frightening IMO.

8. CM Punk

the preacher gimmick is just awesome, and as Flah said, he is still the best character in the business. i can't wait for him to come back and have some epic matches with the likes of Bryan.

9. Randy Orton

i think it'd be unfair to write off his year on the basis of a tepid title run. Orton as face doesn't work, and the E were foolish to try to make him one. he got cheered because his character was so fúcking good, and now it's been sterilised.

but either way, we can't ignore his year, and the work he put on, especially during the transition was epic. a match of particular note for him this year was the 'I Quit' match with Cena. wonderful drama, and up there with Angle/Anderson as MOTY IMO.

10. The Miz

as much as i have no idea why, he is Champion, so i feel he should be recognised on this list. he still hasn't had a match of note, other than those with Bryan, but then, that's Bryan.

his character is over, he can be very entertaining, and he has been given the ball, even though it's during the E's down season. well done to him, but i don't see it lasting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Bounty Hunter, you made this thread on 18th November, four days before Miz won the belt, so by looking at the lists that you received by PM in the first four days, and looking at the lists posted on here in the last 12 days, have you noticed that people's placement of Miz in their lists seems to be a lot higher after last Monday night? Or would they have placed him in their chosen position regardless of his winning the championship?

Charisteas wrote: »
    Bounty Hunter, you made this thread on 18th November, four days before Miz won the belt, so by looking at the lists that you received by PM in the first four days, and looking at the lists posted on here in the last 12 days, have you noticed that people's placement of Miz in their lists seems to be a lot higher after last Monday night? Or would they have placed him in their chosen position regardless of his winning the championship?

Its possible but to get maximum votes i have to have it (the voting) open for a while and this is the last month of the year so a good time to have the voting for a best of the past year type thing. If people wish to edit their votes they can, just quote your original vote and show what is now different and ill edit the overall table im keeping of scores. There is always going to be the possibility that people will do something that will effect the voting while its happening but i think the votes he would lose out on earlier in the voting would even itself out because he may get more votes than other equal deserving wrestlers as his big achievements are mor fresh to the memory at time of voting.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JK9

1. Wade Barrett
    Indeed, breakout star of the year. The Nexus was needed in WWE like a junkie needs their next fix – an influx of young, fresh talent. Most of the guys in Nexus are great but seeing as Barrett is leader and the beacon, in many ways of the change, I’m picking him. Also, his feud with Cena is a feud of the year contender, so that helps too.

2. Bryan Danielson
    Because he’s Bryan Danielson and I certainly didn't think he'd win the US title so soon after returning and his matches with Ziggler were great. It’ll be more than interesting to see what’s next for him in WWE

3. John Cena
    He and Nexus have been one of the highlights of year.

4. Kurt Angle
    The feud with Anderson was quality, all the matches with the top 10 were great and the series with Hardy was brilliant too.

5. Motor City Machine Guns
    A tag team, I know but 3 out of 5 with Beer Money anyone? Team 3D’s “last” match? Yeah.

6. Sheamus
    Hey, what a guy! Two titles reigns (well, one went into this year), Triple H feud and now, KOTR. He’s having problems of late maintaining credibility but it’s been a good year for him.

7. Jeff Hardy
    It’s been hit and miss for Jeff in TNA this year but when he hits, he hits. The matches with Angle were stunning and while I hated his heel turn initially, it’s really grown on me, particularly in the development of his mic skills

8. Edge
    The Rumble win was great but overall his face turn was half baked even though I enjoyed his Jericho match at Mania. The middle of the year was a slump for him but I’m also enjoying his Kane feud so I think he’s perched well for a great 2011.

9. The Miz
    I was one of those guys that hated The Miz for ages but he’s worked hard to get to where he is and tip my hat to him. However, the follow through of his title win will be the making or breaking of him.

10. CM Punk
    He gave us the SES and the fact that he and Gallows didn’t win the tag titles this year is a damn shame. Add to that, his feud with Rey, he’s had a good year overall. The move to Raw and the injury has prevented him from being higher on the list but for now we’ll make do with commentary!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I'm pleased to see Rey getting lots of love in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,102 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1. Christian
    2. Jericho
    3 & 4. MCMG - Sabin and Shelley
    5. Bryan Danielson
    6. Sheamus
    7. Rey Mysterio
    8. Doug Williams
    9. Alberto Del Rio
    10. AJ Styles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

1) Daniel Bryan / Bryan Danielson - Tells stories with his matches, believable, strong and survives an unbelievable burial week in week out

2) Chris Jericho - His absence is so noticeable i had to put him up this high, always willing to put ove rnew talent, can be hated or loved with the flick of a coin, and his "people i have beaten" promo was epic on so many levels!

3) Sheamus - Gone from obscurity to 2 time world champion to KOTR, anyone who can lose to santino and morrison andstill be recognised as a monster heel is doing something brilliantly!

4) Wade Barrett - Totaly breakout star, future world champion i have no doubt, brilliant on the mic...bit green i nthe ring but that will come with experience!

5) MCMG - Incredible year, dont need to say any more

6) John Cena - Did his part well in the Nexus feud, great match with wade at HIAC, but his no selling, mega cena and mic burials have stopped him getting in to my top 5!

7) CM Punk - was brilliant at everything he did this year, SES, Preacher and now commentator, pure class

8) Kurt Angle - Some quality matches and feuds but was more limited than previously so thats why he is down so low, but the anderson and hardy feuds were class

9) Ken Anderson - Controversial one here i know but i think he has had an amazing year with TNA, killer promos, great matches, and he is just such a likeable asshole

10) The Miz - always worked his arse off, brilliant on the mic, actually became a good worker! i cant wait to see where he goes with this title run (sheamus like assent or a swagger like dissapearance)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

1. Kurt Angle - Wrestler of the year by a long way, purely based off his body of work

2. The Motor City Machine Guns - TNA took so long to pull the trigger on The Guns but when they were given the ball, they revived tag team wrestling in TNA

3. Davey Richards - Despite me not appreciating his little 'retirement' stunt, he's been very good again this year, not as good as he was last year but still awesome

4. Chris Jericho - Despite missing the last few months, he was great this year despite my disappointment with his feud with Edge

5. Daniel Bryan - Despite WWE's prejudice against wrestlers who made their reputation elsewhere, and Cole's incessant burying - his talent has managed to constantly overcome all that and he's been the MVP of WWE TV in the last few months

6. Douglas Williams - I love Williams and he's been great this year and it looks like TNA might be really getting behind him as a face. His matches with AJ and Kaz this year plus a bunch of iMPACT! matches were great. Plus his head bobble thing is just awesome.

7. Rey Mysterio - As much as people may dislike his character, there's no denying he's one of the elite workers in the world and he's continued to prove that this year

8. AJ Styles - Despite being saddled with a crappy character for the first few months of the year, AJ's still had a great year with matches against Angle, Joe, Lethal, RVD, Jarrett, Williams and even dragged Dreamer to his best match is years - he even made Rob Terry look competent at Victory Road

9. Beer ... MONEY!!! - The feud with The Guns has been feud of the year in my book and the matches were just awesome - Beer Money are just such a damn good team, their match at Final Resolution against Ink Inc. shows that very clearly

10. Jeff Hardy - Might be a bit of a controversial choice but I've actually really enjoyed Hardy this year. His match against Angle was one of the matches of the year and the rematch was great aswell. The BFG three way was a lot of fun, Hardy and RVD against Beer Money on one of the live iMPACT!'s was really good, as was the Anderson/Hardy vs. Beer Money match at Slammiversary - plus a load of fun TV matches against Wolfe, RVD, AJ and Storm, plus his character has never been as interesting since his heel turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

1. sheamus
    2. del rio
    3. rey
    4. the guns
    5. cena
    6. hhh
    7. jericho
    8. angle
    9. punk
    10. natayla

for me sheamus and del rio has been the mvps of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭sliotor

1. Davey Richards – Great Wrestler.
    2. Daniel Bryan- Consistent Good Worker and best matches in last three ppv.
    3. MCMG - Best tag team in the world.
    4. Kurt Angle - had great matches with AJ and Anderson.
    5. Ziggler- I think he has been good this year although needs someone else to fued with now, getting a bit stale.(More bookers fault than his.)
    6. Batista – Great heel but unfortunately walked away.
    7. Sheamus – Solid year and performer.
    8. Chris Jericho – Great all a rounder.
    9. Ken Anderson – Has done well in TNA and is always great on the mic.
    10. AJ Styles – Has been great for years, been held down a bit now, he does not need the rub from flair.
    One point to note as well Desmond Wolfe/ Nigel McGuiness could have had a great year if new regime didn’t burry him and **** him out of company.

got a good few more votes today both on thread and via pm, remember the deadline for votes is monday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

1. Daniel Bryan
    2. Sheamus
    3. John Cena
    4. The Miz
    5. Chris Jericho
    6. Roderick Strong
    7. CM Punk
    8. El Generico
    9. Shawn Michaels
    10. Dolph Ziggler

Went by matches that entertained me/still stand up. Sadl Wade has had no matches that stand up to this day (even in stipulation). Picked by the best and most entertaining amount of matches I saw.

I based my list on who had entertained me the most in the last 12 months.
    Both on matches and enjoyment of the wrestlers ability to entertain.
    Not any one category in particular.

1. Sheamus - This year was his year. Sure, he lost his title in the elimination chamber, but he put up a battle against Triple H at mania, and then got to "put him out of action". A hard fought match at MITB in a cage against Cena and then his KOTR win. Even though he lost the title twice, he still got to show some character with santino and kozlov.

2. The Miz - Constantly entertaining this year. ShoMiz' theme has become one of my favorite themes ever. :D But he has grown in strength to strength. Would he be further down on my list if i hadve written this up before he won the title? Probably, but only by one or two places.

3. John Morrison - My personal favorite wrestler of the year. I really hope by this time next year he has a wwe/world title under his belt. Sure he needs some work on the mic, but they never let that stop jeff hardy. ;)

4. MCMG - Their great matches this year against Beer Money have seen more amazing moments in tag matches that havent been seen in years!
    'Nuff said!

5. CM Punk - The straight edge savior character was born last year and gave renewed life to Punks straight edge persona. Some great matches with Jeff last year... :o
    A highly entertaining run with the SES and strong debut when transfered to Raw. His injury has not kept him out of the spotlight by becoming a member of the raw announce team.

6. Daniel Bryan - With his involvement in NXT season 1, he brought a mold of a wrestler to wwe not seen in a long while, a little shorter, a little less muscle and a lot more indy. When the nexus kicked off and he got himself dropped by the E, it looked like a slap in the face to any indy wrestlers/fans that wwe didnt appreciate or accept the "bingo hall wrestlers", this and of course the way he was buried and made look weak (not in the matches, mind) in everything else.
    The fans.. and john cena petitioned the overturn of the decision and in august, danielson made the return to wwe. Since everything has been a little watered down and restricted. Heres hoping in the coming months he gets a rivalry to which his technical skills will be really shown off.

7. John Cena - He would be higher up, but apart from his run with Nexus this year has been pretty meh. (imo)
    He vanquished the thorn in my side at extreme rules in april. So that was the high point. :pac:

8. Ken Anderson - The best wrestler and talker that TNA have for the audience that they are trying to attract and hold on to. Mainly being the older fan discouraged with wwe's PG rating and yet not ready to walk away completely from wrestling. Anderson brings that "Dont care what i say/who i offend" attitude that he never got to fully display when he was with the wwe.

9. Alberto Del Rio - I only have known of him for the last 2 months or so, even though he has been on the roster since june, my avoidance of smackdown apart from the main event angle has made me regret some of the brilliance of this man.

10. Santino - Great comedy wrestler. Every time he opened his mouth i would laugh.
    Even during the dire guest host GM segments. And then of course the sheamus skit in manchester a few weeks ago. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,888 ✭✭✭Charisteas

Just out of curiosity, who did Boards.ie members vote as the top ten of 2009? Did a search but couldn't find anything.

Charisteas wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, who did Boards.ie members vote as the top ten of 2009? Did a search but couldn't find anything.

dont think there was a similar vote last year, i know i didnt run one. Over 50 different people have recieved votes so far

5. CM Punk - The straight edge savior character was born this year and gave renewed life to Punks straight edge persona. Some great matches with Jeff earlier in the year.

You're thinking of 2009! This year the S.E.S. formed and disintegrated, Punk feuded with Mysterio and Big Show, and then got injured.

• Advertisement

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You're thinking of 2009! This year the S.E.S. formed and disintegrated, Punk feuded with Mysterio and Big Show, and then got injured.

dam yeah your right.
    woops. :o Cheers for the heads up jay.

One more day to vote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

Thought we had a bit longer for this for some reason. Was going to wait until after Final Battle then rate. I'll try have something up tonight then.

Sure one PPV shouldn't make a difference. It feels like this thread has been going on for months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Jolt2007

jaykhunter wrote: »
    Sure one PPV shouldn't make a difference. It feels like this thread has been going on for months!

True enough. It was mostly the end of the Steen/Generico feud I was thinking off and the pay off could decide how high both should go, but it wont make much of a difference each way I guess.

1. Batista
    2. The Miz
    3/4. MCMG
    5. Kurt Angle
    6. Davey Richards
    7. El Generico
    8. Wade Barrrett
    9. Kevin Steen
    10. Chris Hero

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone obvious ones though

2pm is the final time for votes to be in if there are going to be any late voters. Then I will announce the names in no particular order of the top 50 voted superstars. Then over the next few days i will release another group of names, i.e next would be the 20 who didnt make the top 30 from the already released list. Then would come numbers 21-30 then the final twenty places will be revealed in groups dependant on how close the wrestlers finshed to each other the final batch mostlikely to be a top 5.

so still a little over 3 hours for votes, and yes this has been running for almost a month now but sure the Irish one isnt finished yet (understandable lining up an interview with the winner) and this one was only thought up after it was in full swing.

okay in no particular order here are the Wrestlers that make up the Boards.ie PW top 50 American Wrestlers of the past year:

Davey Richards, Rey Mysterio, Generation me, Claudio Castagnoli, Goldust, Alberto Del Rio, Bryan Danielson, John Cena, The Miz, John Morrison, Chris Masters, Kurt Angle, RVD, Beer Money, Wade Barett, Batista, HHH, Tyler Black, Roderick Strong, AJ Styles, Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin, jimmy Jacobs, Evan Bourne, Sheamus, Roderick Strong, AJ Styles, Shawn Micheals, Chris Jericho, Edge, El Generico, Layla, Scott steiner, Dolph Ziggler, Kevin Steen, Ric Flair, Doug Williams, CM Punk, Mr Anderson, Randy Orton, Nexus, Jeff Hardy, Christian, The Undertaker, Chris Hero, Kevin Nash, Matt Morgan, Kane, Natalya, Santino, Micheal Cole

some non wrestlers and perhaps some less serious choices in there but those are most likely to miss out anyway when this is reduced to the top 30 so were included (as they were voted for).

and these are the wrestlers who didnt make the top 30 out of the above 50:

El Generico, RVD, Beer Money, Matt Morgan, Kane, HHH, Kevin Nash, Tyler Black, Generation me, Claudio Castagnoli, Goldust, Edge, jimmy Jacobs, Evan Bourne, Kevin Steen, Layla, Natalya, Santino, Micheal Cole

*those mentioned earlier on were closer than those mentioned later to making the cut.

So these would be the top 33?
    (not in order, obviously...)

1. Davey Richards,
    2. Rey Mysterio,
    3. Alberto
    4. Del Rio,
    5. Bryan Danielson,
    6. John Cena,
    7. The Miz,
    8. John Morrison,
    9. Chris Masters,
    10. Kurt Angle,
    11. Wade Barett,
    12. Batista,
    13. Roderick Strong,
    14. AJ Styles,
    15. Alex Shelly,
    16. Chris Sabin,
    17. Sheamus,
    18. Roderick Strong,
    19. AJ Styles,
    20. Shawn Micheals,
    21. Chris Jericho,
    22. Scott steiner,
    23. Dolph Ziggler,
    24. Ric Flair,
    25. Doug Williams,
    26. CM Punk,
    27. Mr Anderson,
    28. Randy Orton,
    29. Nexus,
    30. Jeff Hardy,
    31. Christian,
    32. The Undertaker,
    33. Chris Hero,

• Advertisement

So these would be the top 33?
    (not in order, obviously...)

1. Davey Richards,
    2. Rey Mysterio,
    3. Alberto
    4. Del Rio,
    5. Bryan Danielson,
    6. John Cena,
    7. The Miz,
    8. John Morrison,
    9. Chris Masters,
    10. Kurt Angle,
    11. Wade Barett,
    12. Batista,
    13. Roderick Strong,
    14. AJ Styles,
    15. Alex Shelly,
    16. Chris Sabin,
    17. Sheamus,
    18. Roderick Strong,
    19. AJ Styles,
    20. Shawn Micheals,
    21. Chris Jericho,
    22. Scott steiner,
    23. Dolph Ziggler,
    24. Ric Flair,
    25. Doug Williams,
    26. CM Punk,
    27. Mr Anderson,
    28. Randy Orton,
    29. Nexus,
    30. Jeff Hardy,
    31. Christian,
    32. The Undertaker,
    33. Chris Hero,

hmm Seems i included 51 names in out top 50 then only pointed out 19 that didnt make the top 30 doh! so yes the above in no particular order is the top 32. Not the top 33 however as 3.Alberto & 4.Del Rio are the same person

I guess the other names i left out from the those not to make it list will become evident once i start placings reveal today, beginning with no.23-30, the next day you will get 15-22, then 6-14 and finally the top 5

Advertisement