Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Boards Better Body Super Challenge

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Micamaca

Hi there,

decided I really need some motivation so came on here and got plenty. I am a member of a gym, I do go about twice a week but that's all. I don't get around to much else but that will change now.

I have a lot of fat to lose and some muscle to gain. I'm not that bothered about my weight, my Wii Fit assures me I'm not overweight but still, I don't like what I see in the mirror. I had a lot more lean muscle years ago and intend to get it back. My problem is making time for exercise and drinking too much booze. Booze negates the positive effects of the gym so I'm not making as much progress as I should. I also eat too many crisps and salty snacks. And the odd indian take-away. So eight weeks it is...hopefully I will at least make it through the eight weeks and even more hopefully, will have changed my food and exercise habits for good! :D

Thanks for all posts put in at the beginning last year. I'm going to go back through that again and print off sheets for measuring and so on.

Talk to you soon, mica

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cagefan

Hey everyone, Im going to give this ago! Most weakest area is my diet. I train like a mad man 4/5days a week but I also go mad on the food/drink. Indians, chocalate anything I can get my hands on. So Im hoping this will help give me a bit of willpower. Im looking to lose weight, gain muscle, and increase cardio. I weighed in this morning at 82.8kg and Im hoping to get that down to about 75kg by the end of the summer. Im training for a Dualathon in August and the marathon in October so I will be doing lots of cardio...at least 3 5miles on treadmill a week followed by weights and swim. One long 8/10mile road run on weekend and 1 kickboxing class/BJJ class if I have the energy.

Im hoping to post what Ive done and what weight Im down to. I'll also have to get myself a measureing tape as I have never used the method before! Looking forward to it...hopefully it will help me motivate myself a bit better than the past

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

Hey.

I'm in.

Where can I go for start dates and questions about exercise? For example, I know nothing about weight training but love swimming and would like to substitute one for the other. And when can I start this?

Edit; Ignore my questions, found the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

you should read "starting strength", along with Rippetoe's FAQ

Goals
    Size - Get to size 12
    Weight - 145lb
    Hips - 30 inches

I'll keep my measurements to myself, for the moment....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Hi all, I just started this, this week. I'm not a member of a gym but have my own dumb bells and bar bell, small bench. I'm trying to do out an exercise plan but cant really come up with different things to do. Seems to be repetitive. At the moment its mostly running and cycling with some sit-ups and press ups. Could anyone give me some advice or point me to some info online please? Anything at all would be great.

I’m 28, male. 6ft 2” and weigh 17.5 stone. My goal is to weight 16 stone and to lose weight off my face and neck, and to have a better defined upper body. I don’t want much do I!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Futurism

Hi all, I just started this, this week. I'm not a member of a gym but have my own dumb bells and bar bell, small bench. I'm trying to do out an exercise plan but cant really come up with different things to do. Seems to be repetitive. At the moment its mostly running and cycling with some sit-ups and press ups. Could anyone give me some advice or point me to some info online please? Anything at all would be great.

I’m 28, male. 6ft 2” and weigh 17.5 stone. My goal is to weight 16 stone and to lose weight off my face and neck, and to have a better defined upper body. I don’t want much do I!!

Have a look at some of the articles here:
    http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

And if you need help doing an exercise, look here for description and pictures:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

One week down. Weight is about the same (three pounds lighter?), the measurements are the same.

Food, I've cut a lot of junk and am wholemeal everything, as well as with less starches, and with more veg. Only sugar is via fruit.

Exercise, doing well, swimming a lot, an occasional jog, as well as stretching to tone up.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

Futurism wrote: »
    Have a look at some of the articles here:
    http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

And if you need help doing an exercise, look here for description and pictures:
    http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Thanks very much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭Caoltan

Try Starting Strenght too. Google/warez/torrent/buy it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

I might as well add my bit here as well. I am 27 male, 6'0" and weigh around 73-75 kilo at the moment. After humming and hawing the last few months about going to gym, i finally started doing some proper weight lifting in the last 2 weeks, using bench and weights at home.
    Started off at 50 kg, and didn't feel too heavy, so put on all the large weights, which is now 60 kg. I am doing usually 5 sets of 5 reps every second day or so.

I need to start focusing on the other big 2 though (squats and deadlifts). At the moment i am a bit limited in deadlifts, since i have only 60kg on the bar total in weights. Squats, i need to get better form as well and just get used to holding the bar properly across my back (need to get/build a proper rack as well..)

Overall, i hope to put on a good bit of weight, and just basically get stronger/fitter. Need to work on the diet, and basically just start eating a lot more protein

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Thought i would add this in as the workout of the week thing has been pulled i think -

4 rounds with a 3min break in between - body weight deadlifts and pull ups for max reps

Did 155reps total so what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Riche670

Hi all,

Male, 24 years old, 6'2", 83kgs... been bodybuilding for about 3 years now. Pretty much used to be built like a twig but was always very lean. Made big gains in my first 6 months of weightlifting and saw very small slow increases ever since. Rotating on 6 week programme cycles between strength training, mass building, and a lean-up programme(torture). Have always supplemented well with whey protein, glutamine, creatine, aminos, fish and flax seed oils, multivits...etc. in addition to a high protein diet. Generally train Legs, Chest & Back, and Arms separately on different training days. Do a lot of high intesity Interval Training during the leaning up cycle, which I find seriously leans me up.

Just thought I'd wade into the conversation and share my limited knowledge and experience with anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

can i join? i'm a girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

I have read some of this topic and have decided im IN.

Im just 6ft. I am 14st 11pounds I want to get to 13st. I really want to look good more then anything. I dont really want to build muscle. I want to be slim and healthy. I just want somebody to say WOW you look well.

I play football and can run about 4 to 5 miles without stoping. I have a treadmill, crosstrainer, stepper machine and some small weights. My big problem is food. What to eat for breakfast, lunch , and dinner.

And thanks in advance for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

BUMP

Just tought this tread might be useful to people giving the time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

Brilliant. Has really inspired me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

it would be good to get this thread up and running again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

holdfast wrote: »
    it would be good to get this thread up and running again

I'm up for a v.2011 challenge for sure. Maybe g'em could start a new thread & copy all the info posts over?
    I'm going to weigh, measure & photo myself in the morning and be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭holdfast

cool lets go with it and hopefully other will join in. need to focus and this may help

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

I'm up for a v.2011 challenge for sure. Maybe g'em could start a new thread & copy all the info posts over?
    I'm going to weigh, measure & photo myself in the morning and be good to go.

You still at the training doll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I'm delighted to see the interest in getting this going again :) I'm only back into work this morning so leave it with me and I'll get onto it later today!

Advertisement