Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin City Navigator NT Europe 2009 is out

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

eirman wrote: »
    You're missing my main point - The N1 is still there as it has been for many years - The M1 is brand new and runs alongside the N1

There are now two roads from dundalk to newry

I want to know if they are both on the latest Navteq Maps

Garmin CN Europe 2009 viewer is now available on garmin site

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

coylemj wrote: »

I suspect the Garmin 2009 maps went to press after the N1 opened but before the speed limit was increased to 120 kph and that's why it's marked as the N1 instead of the M1.

Bottom Line: the 2009 maps have the new road but it's marked as the N1.

CN Europe 2009 is based on Q2, 2008 Navteq map data.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

Hey YOU!

MC

Hey back!

I don't know if anyone is still interested but...

I have a nuvi 200 that I bought and first used back in March this year (so well outside the 60 day thing). I hadn't registered with garmin as I had my crafty mind thinking about just this situation. No mapsource or any other garmin apps installed on the system.

What I did was:
    * Hooked up the unit via usb cable. It was recognised as a mass storage device. I browsed to the xml file referenced to earlier and edited the ifix field (with notepad!), saved it and left the unit powered on and connected

* Visited garmins website and registered with my serial number. I had to download a plugin so that it could detect the unit which I installed. It insisted on updating the firmware on the unit (up to version 5.0 I think). This caused a reboot so I had to re-edit the xml file (seemed to reset on reboot as others have said). I then went back to the garmin website and let it detect the unit. The website congratulated me on my new purchase and informed me I had a map update available. It gave me a serial to use and a link to launch a download for the update

* After the 2.5gig download I reconnected my unit and did the ifix edit again, no idea if this was necessary but better safe than sorry. Ran the software, inputted the serial garmin had given - waited (a while) for the unit to update and then all was well and the 2009 maps were on

I know it was a one time trick but it's been worth it for me - I no longer live in the middle of a field with no connecting roads. Granted I'm still living in a field but now there is a road really close by!

Thanks to all the previous posters cause I never would have gotten this far without the info posted here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Cameraman1

Hi guys,

I registered my nuvi 250W some time back even though I bought it around 6 months ago. I registered it recently on the garmin site and also updated the POIs on www.mypois.com. Is there any way of getting a free 2009 map download now or have I gone past the point of no return?

Thanks,

Cameraman1

• Registered Users Posts: 25,313 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You registered it 'some time back' and then you registered it 'recently', can you clarify please, when did you register it exactly i.e. when did you first give Garmin the serial number of the device?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

ElBarco wrote: »
    Hey back!.......

Cool stuff, I think I'll be waiting for their next release because there's probably not much difference in the one I have with their new one :) Let's just hope they aren't mean and change anything in the mean time ;)

Does anyone know what would be required for them to sort out the search function, would they simply need a firmware upgrade or a whole map rehaul?

It'd be great if each location could be given tags, so for example, say Trees Road in Stillorgan, Dublin, could be given tags of "treesroad, threesroad, treeroad, tree, threes, three, road, stillorgan, blackrock, n11, mount, merrion, kilmacud, upper, lower"

so if you searched for say "123 tree road kilmacud dublin" It would then be able to return the results in their proper title of:
    123 Trees Road Upper, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin
    123 Trees Road Lower, Stillorgan, Co. Dublin

This would be so much better than the current system which continually wrecks my head :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Why would they be tagging it three anything though?

It's the other way round that the Irish get their three trees mixed up. ;)

three/tree was just an example, but just general spelling mistakes :) a kind of google "did you mean" would be nice, but showing the results instead of asking did you mean. So say there was a Raheen Drive, and you typed in Ratheen, it would still show up :cool:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Ahh, got you. That would be handy, but very difficult and expensive to add I think.

Taking your example or three/ tree, that would be a very Ireland specific misspelling and you'd not encounter that in other English speaking countries so the maps would have to be localised for every country in those cases. And how would a French speaker misspell various Irish road names, or the other way round.

Something I didn't realise though but recently saw related to the tagging of roads on OpenStreetMap with their Irish names was that there are a number of roads that are not even spelled the same way on the signs at either end of the road in Irish, could get very complicated.

Yeah it's a pain in the ass, I've come across some roads spelled differently on google maps, my sat nav and then when I get there too :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭epopnomis

I have a garmin 250w bought Oct 07 and have never registered it, is it possible to get the new maps with this, using the xml thingy? Can someone give me the steps to accomplish this, I'd be grateful........

epopnomis wrote: »
    I have a garmin 250w bought Oct 07 and have never registered it, is it possible to get the new maps with this, using the xml thingy? Can someone give me the steps to accomplish this, I'd be grateful........
    I may be the candidate that you are looking for, can you advise me on how to get the update......

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭ElBarco

epopnomis wrote: »
    I may be the candidate that you are looking for, can you advise me on how to get the update......

I think all the steps you need are in the posts above. I posted a reasonably comprehensive (I think so anyway) report of how I did it above

Cheers for that, worked a treat......... Not that I really use the damn thing. Cheers again......

Can anyone tell me, what can I use an SD card for with the Nuvi? Is it just for adding music and stuff like that or can it improve using the GPS? I think the snail trail thing that shows you where you have been is a really cool feature and it'd be great if the SD card could be used to store the earlier places, for long, rather than being overwritten the more you drive. Is this possible by adding an SD card, or what else could it be used for?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Basically music, photos and adding additional maps. Stuff like the snail trail is always stored in main memory. It's in \Garmin\GPX\Current.gpx along with your favourites. You can't copy it to the SD card from the nuvi itself, but you could do it when connected to the PC with the USB cable as a kind of backup I suppose, but you can't do anything with it on the nuvi itself.

Thanks, that's a pity, I'd really on be using it when I'm out and about trying to find a place or knowing the route I came. It'd just be nice if you could put the card in and it'd store the older places much longer, would be too much hassle backing it up and all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yes it is a shame it can't be used for stuff like that. I have a hand-held GPS, a Garmin Vista HCx, that can be set up so that it writes all track information to the micro-SD card, and it basically creates a GPX file for every day you use it until the card fills up. Very handy for multi-day walking trips, as it means I don't have to remember to be continually saving tracks at the end of each day.

Yeah that sounds like what I'd want it to do, ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

Bought my Nuvi-200W (UK and Ireland maps) in November 2007, but never registered it.
    Today I edited the XML file and changed the first fix date, and then went throught the registration process,
    to be informed that I'm entitled to a free NT Europe 2009 update.
    Got a product key and download link.
    Sweet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

I updated a friend's Nuvi 200w that was purchased/received first sat fix in September for free without having to edit the xml file..

I updated a friend's Nuvi 200w that was purchased/received first sat fix in September for free without having to edit the xml file..

The deadline was some time in August so if the unit was first used in Sept you don't need to doctor the date.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

MUst say that the Garmin Update procedure must be the worst system I have seen put in place by a tech company for ... well forever, never seen one worse.

The update is 2.47 Gb (I know these contain all the maps, its just all the maps are not needed) and then unpacking it is another long wait, seems they need a serious funt up the ass to get themselves in order, cannot recommend buying another Garmin product until this is fixed.

Seriously disappointed with them, as I was a fan.

MC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭rash0001

I got a 200w and was using European Maps on an SD Card, that was before the update was out. I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to get the EU updated maps to run on the 200w but can't find it now.
    Can someone help me out.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭strongman

@ MunsterCycling
    Did you have any problems downloading the 2009 European Maps from Garmin. I have tried 4 times so far today. But when I get 99% of the file down I get an error. "The server returned an error. Would you like to retry". I have killed all firewalls but it makes no difference.
    STM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

hi guys, can use tell me. i drive for a living and befor ei update this i would like to know is there many new pois in it for clubs restaurants etc ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Hi, I am in the process of installing updated maps on a 250w with the Europe maps. I am now at the final stage where I send the map from the PC to the GPS unit. However, I am getting message which says:
    "Since our map data gets longer and more detailed each year, the full coverage map requires more memory than what is available on your device. Please select one of the regions below to install to your device."

There are a list of about 15 different regions but I am a little unsure which one to pick. The Garmin website is not very helpful. The nearest match I can find is Central & West Europe. I'm assuming this will include UK & Ireland but just to confuse me, there is a "UK & Ireland" option as well. Can anyone tell me if Central & West Europe will do the trick? I'm guessing it'll cover everywhere from around Germany westwards but don't want to commit to the changes yet.

If I fit an SD card with enough capacity into the slot, would I be able to download the full map?
    Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge there's no overlap, you will have to pick UK and Ireland and the SD card will make no difference, I've been down that road.

I have updated two Nuvi 250s with the 2009 maps for friends, the first one took the full upgrade, the second one gave me the message you encountered so after paying for a 250 in July, my friend effectively now has a 200, what a bummer! I ran the upgrade a second time with an empty 2GB SD Card installed but it made no difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭highdef

Well I won't know the answer till tomorrow but I selected central and west Europe. It was still installing when I was leaving work. It gives everthing from Germany westwards including Iberia and the UK and Ireland but not eastern europe, scandinavia, Italy, south east Europe, etc. I'll let you know how I get on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭squire23

If I've already registered but not tampered with my start date is there anyway I can get the free update - feck paying €80 for it

Advertisement