Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Didn't manage to get a pic :( but spotted a VW Transporter van in Donabate this afternoon reg CSI 935. It's always a pleasure to see pre '87 commercials in everyday use IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Bitten & Hisses

MercMad wrote: »
    Think this was posted before, but taken an hour ago in Beaumont hospital, white Mk1 Golf. Dunno if its a GTI, just snapped it whilst passing. No tax or insurance discs and appears to be full of parts / junk

That Mk2 beside it also has the mirrors folded in. Perhaps a VAG head is storing his motors there?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It's always a pleasure to see pre '87 commercials in everyday use IMO.
    Yep.agreed!Some of them can be in surprisingly good condition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Just spotted this near parkwest in clondalkin

76435.JPG

^Nice..its well worked!

• Advertisement

Image949.jpg
    In Adams of tralee,its their garage runabout..

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭b.c

mustang68 wrote: »
    Just spotted this near parkwest in clondalkin

76435.JPG

I know the lad that owns this, its a 1.9 turbo diesel:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Image949.jpg
    In Adams of tralee,its their garage runabout..

Wow I had no idea they sold R4 vans in this country right into 1989....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

Brings back memories!
    Old Whosbetter? had one of them vans in the '80s.

I used to 'borrow' it sometimes as a kid.
    No license or anything.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,267 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Camarague wrote: »

Probably an old post van. They definitely had more recent R4's than were ever (successfully) retailed from forecourts here.

• Advertisement

Here's a little something I spotted after coming out of the Porterhouse Central on thursday night last week... A 308GTB, poor quality pic from a phone.
    76449.jpg

Camarague wrote: »
    I thought this too,but after a bit of research it seems the van was made until 1993,though im not sure when imports stopped coming into this country.Maybe it was a special order at the time.
    Im not sure if it was a post van,wouldnt it have a dublin registration if it had?
    According to wikipedia..In Ireland the car was produced in two plants, the first establishied in 1962 in Naas, and the other establishied in Wexford in 1972, the production running until 1984.
    Never heard of car manufacture in wexford?!

[cough] TMC Costin [/cough] the last car to be produced in Ireland.
    tmc_costin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

alias no.9 wrote: »
    Here's a little something I spotted after coming out of the Porterhouse Central on thursday night last week... A 308GTB, poor quality pic from a phone.
    76449.jpg

Can't make out the reg. for Cartell - is it a beetle?

JustinOval wrote: »
    Can't make out the reg. for Cartell - is it a beetle?

It looked like a genuine 308GTB to me on the night. I don't get out much these days but I only had 4 pints, I would have copped a bad kit.

edit...

Indeed, try ZV9088

tmc_costin.jpg
    Ah..thanks for that.Wikipedia tells me that the TMC Costin was a lightweight sports car built from 1983 to 1987 at the Thompson Motor Company in Wexford, Ireland.
    It was designed by the aerodynamicist and Marcos founder Frank Costin and was supposed to be the Irish Seven. Costin had previous associations with Lotus and Maserati for race-car chassis designs. The cars were very successful in racing, but just 39 cars were built before TMC went bankrupt in 1987. The chassis rights were sold to the American Daniel Panoz, founder of Panoz Auto Development, who still builds the Panoz Roadster which are based on the Costin.

Interesting stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭dutchcat

I thought this too,but after a bit of research it seems the van was made until 1993,though im not sure when imports stopped coming into this country.Maybe it was a special order at the time.
    Im not sure if it was a post van,wouldnt it have a dublin registration if it had?
    According to wikipedia..In Ireland the car was produced in two plants, the first establishied in 1962 in Naas, and the other establishied in Wexford in 1972, the production running until 1984.
    the last 4l off the line was raffled between the workers in wex

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

Sorry to say but there is some thing odd with the R4? Note fly window on the side. I have only ever seen these on the continent (France) as French postal vans (yellow) but not in RH drive.
    Trivia: Renault did not stop producing R4's until the 90's. There have been a select few late models (RHD) ordered over the years throught Renault Ireland legit!

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭carlosfandango

Nice spot alias no.9

(The 308)

CFD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

02042009024.jpg
    02042009023.jpg

Absolutely mint. Outside the Opel Main Dealer in Clondalkin Village. Looked totally original

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Camarague

Renotec wrote: »
    Sorry to say but there is some thing odd with the R4? Note fly window on the side. I have only ever seen these on the continent (France) as French postal vans (yellow) but not in RH drive.
    Trivia: Renault did not stop producing R4's until the 90's. There have been a select few late models (RHD) ordered over the years throught Renault Ireland legit!

The vans were sold in Ireland until 1988. That much I knew. I suppose either they sold them until 1989, or that example was just registered slightly late.

Does anybody know more about R4 production in Wexford? That hasn't already been said here...
    http://www.geocities.com/richardirl/produ.htm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Here's a TMC brochure I picked up somewhere years ago.
    Page 1 Page 2 Page 3 Page 4
    TMC_1_Small.jpgTMC_2_Small.jpg
    TMC_3_Small.jpgTMC_4_Small.jpg

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

dutchcat wrote: »
    the last 4l off the line was raffled between the workers in wex

The last French R4 was also raffled in late 1992/1993 in one of the French newspapers. They ran an advertisement for the car on the bottom half of 14 pages, one page for every different model produced since 1961, including a remake of one being used in the Paris 68 riots! The car was also built in Slovenia after 1992 and in South America.

Renotec wrote: »
    Oh..i thought all the vans had those type windows..i have definatly seen them before.but i wouldnt argue with you!!lol!

@onkle,good spot with that astra!!Rare nowadays,havnt seen one in as good condition in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Renotec

oopps! I may have not been exact. Its the window on the van side panel behind each of the front door. This little window set always appeared odd to me because I don't think that they are factory fitted. I asked a postman in France about it and he said that it was for the safety of the postman as an added visibility feature. It makes sense?

PS: Don't know if anyone remembers but the big draw for R4 van's in the 80' was cutting them up and making instant dog transporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭okistag

76449.jpg

A friend of mine owns this beauty, its the real thing and only has 34k on the clock. I think it will be for sale at city west tomorrow. magic car for any one.
    Very very clean and straight car from what i remember.

Jack

MAY OF BEEN A TRIUMPH DAY. BUT WE WERE ON THE ROAD, SO THOUGHT IT WAS A FITTING PIECE FOR THIS THREAD.

TCOC Assessment Day

First of all, thank you Des for opening your home to all of us. It was a super day and we all enjoyed it thoroughly.
    We only had two cars booked in this time, a 1979 Dolomite 1500 which belonged to Paul and a 1972 Spitfire which belongs to our new member Jack (the other Jack). We all met at the County Club in Dunshaughlin. When everyone was assembled we headed off and after travelling only 5 miles up the road, we arrived at Des’s house, drove around the back to the garage and were presented with a garage fully equipped with PIT! Lucky Des!
    Paul’s Dolomite got a clean bill of health with only a few minor recommendations to consider.
    martinpaul.jpg
    paulandcecil.jpg
    paulsdolly.jpg
    paulhappygoodreport.jpg
    Jack, a new member to the TCOC, arrived with his Spitfire in tow. Literally! His new purchase was strapped to tow truck, no less.
    paulsnonerunnerspit.jpg
    He already had the Spitfire at a local garage for a number of days and they informed him that they wanted to replace the fuel pump, remove the electronic ignition and put it back to standard points. Needless to say, he got the car back this morning from the garage after paying the bill, but with the car no better. He was stuck, and in true “TCOC” spirit, we told him that if he could get it over to us, we would see what we could do for him. She still had her English plates as he had only purchased the Spitfire two weeks ago and the English plates started with TRA, which come to think of it, would look nice on a TR4.
    pushingjackandhisspit.jpg
    In any case, we pushed the car into Des’s garage and started to check fuel supply, which proved to be fine, we then moved on to check if she had a spark. At this point we could see the spark but it was very weak indeed. We removed the plugs and gave them a nice clean up. Luke had brought with him, a spare Rotor arm, dizzy cap and set of HT leads.
    theladsatwork.jpg
    Talk about being prepared. We replaced these one by one and experienced no joy until we fitted the HT leads. Finally, with one turn of the key, she fired up straight away and Jack was a happy man. We then carried out a full assessment, which proved that the car had a lot of money spent on it in recent times as most of the engine bay and suspension were fairly new. Ever prepared, Jack (the new Jack) came armed with brand new ZV plates and once the car was mobile and on the road, we fitted the ZV plates and hey presto, he was now legally able to enjoy driving his Spitfire.
    happyjack.jpg
    spitprringaway.jpg
    Overall his Spitfire is a very nice little car for the money. Jack, well done on your purchase!
    Jacks Spitty might of been pushed in the gates but certainly DROVE OUT THEM
    jacktestdriveuproad.jpg
    HEADING HOME A HAPPY MAN.
    jackhappyhisspitisrunningagain.jpg
    Whilst we all understand that the Assessment Day is really only meant for assessments and not for full motor repairs; today, together with only two cars booked in and a new member in need, the TCOC “experts” once again rose to the challenge in true style and did what they do best; help out a fellow member. Thanks to you all! On behalf of all the members of the TCOC, I would like welcome Jack (yes, the new Jack) to our club and wish you many happy years motoring in your Triumph and of course, a long and enjoyable membership in our club.

It doesnt show on cartell so i doubt its authenticity..but i like the look of it anyway!!
    gti1.jpg

A few cars at City West
    DSCN4141.jpg
    DSCN4143.jpg
    DSCN4145.jpg
    DSCN4146.jpg
    DSCN4148.jpg
    DSCN4149.jpg
    DSCN4150.jpg
    DSCN4151.jpg
    DSCN4152.jpg