Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N21 Castleisland Bypass Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

fresca wrote: »
    i hope you get some sense of the scheme from these photos.

also, i don't know anything about building bridges, but it seems unlikely that bridge would open before christmas (see n21_04 & n21_05).

Good shots fresca. Much appreciated as I've been too lazy to take any yet.

From the pictures the decks are up on the overbridge but no concrete filled in yet. Little needs to be done on the embarkment as the overbridge is low and sunken in between the fill. The road doesn't need to be realigned too far off the current one. Overall I cant see the bridge open to traffic til the new year.

In fairness progress has been good considering it only started a few months ago. Looking from the pictures earthworks will continue for another few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

@fresca, thanks for posting the photos
    pity about the sh!tty weather that day

Looking at the latest newsletter for November/December there is some great shots of the overbridge on the pound road. Also the southern N21 roundabout is meant to be fully operational by year end as well as the overbridge.

Newsletter November/December 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

The photos look impressive. Can anyone tell me are they ahead / behind / or even on-schedule. It just seems to me that great progress is being made, just curious as to the time scheduling.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭fresca

kerry4sam wrote: »
    The photos look impressive. Can anyone tell me are they ahead / behind / or even on-schedule. It just seems to me that great progress is being made, just curious as to the time scheduling.

According to this article http://www.kerryman.ie/local-notes/bypass-computer-simulation-set-to-go-on-public-display-1800824.html (and previous posts in this thread) as of July 2009, the projected opening date is Dec 2010.

The NRA [ http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/KerryCountyCouncil/N21CastleislandBypass/SchemeName,16501,en.html ] list opening date as Q1 2011.

BAM Civil [ http://www.asconrohcon.com/live/index.html ] don't seem to have anything listed on their site about this project.

There doesn't appear to be an updated project schedule on any of the relevant web sites.

• Advertisement

Judging by the photos it looks like it's ahead of schedule maybe by about 2-3 months. The NRA targeted completion is usually unrealistic with many schemes finishing a year ahead of schedule at times.

I havnt seen the whole scheme but traffic driving on it sometime in September 2010 is likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 CantonaDieu

The overbridge on the pound rd en route to the Maum opened today! Good news for Curranes school users and the locals who were cut off from town!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

The overbridge on the pound rd en route to the Maum opened today! Good news for Curranes school users and the locals who were cut off from town!!
    Yep,i heard this too,what a day to open it,no one was able to drive up the maum in the snow id guess!!:D

Great news. Will try get photos over the christmas period!!

Yep,i heard this too,what a day to open it,no one was able to drive up the maum in the snow id guess!!:D

I agree it's too risky driving up that direction on these icy mornings! Great to hear it's opened though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Drove over it today just to have a look,nice job,its still just a quarry underneath though,very little road dug out,but they are getting there:)

Furet [ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=71931 ] now has a corresponding thread over on the infrastructure section [ http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776672 ].

Yeah I originally considered starting the thread over on infrastructure but I thought it would get more attention and input here which it is.

It's a great thread so far.

On the Kilarney end(N22) there is a few disgruntled people arguing with the routing of the bypass instead favouring to stretching it out further to avoid the narrow bridge futher south of the roundabout.

photos taken on the 28th dec 2009.
    n21_01 is of the new bridge on the pound road
    n21_02 & n21_03 are views from the bridge looking south
    n21_04 is a view from the bridge looking north

as you can see, all the work has really focused on getting the bridge complete and the road open to ease access for local residents. (fair play to contractors!!!)

photos taken on the 28th dec 2009.
    n21_01 is of the new bridge on the pound road
    n21_02 & n21_03 are views from the bridge looking south
    n21_04 is a view from the bridge looking north
    n21_05 is of the underpass located a few hundred meters south of the bridge.

I see the scheme is advancing towards the tie in now with the climbing lane on the N21. The N23 roundabout has been in operation for some time now as well just worth mentioning it as users might not pass down that direction too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭littlemissteach

hey does anyone have any idea when this bypass will be completed??I travel Limk - tralee fair bit and castleisland just takes forever to get through...so I'm really looking forward to the bypass although I will miss looking at the window of Joi!
    Anyone have any idea yet how long it might take off the journey time??

hey does anyone have any idea when this bypass will be completed??I travel Limk - tralee fair bit and castleisland just takes forever to get through...so I'm really looking forward to the bypass although I will miss looking at the window of Joi!
    Anyone have any idea yet how long it might take off the journey time??

It should be open this year as early as September. 20 mins peak probably and 10 mins off peak.

according to the department of transport press release... the N21 adare bypass will proceed to cpo during 2010.

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=170

according to the department of transport press release... the N21 adare bypass will proceed to cpo during 2010.

http://www.transport.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=170

Yeah interesting development, it's being built as part of the M20 motorway. There is absolutely no money available for any future road builds only the PPP method with hard tolls or shadow tolls. Originally the M20 was on the PPP list to go ahead but has been pushed back by M11 schemes, M17/M18 Gort to Tuam, Galway Outer Bypass and Newlands Cross upgrade.

So no Adare bypass til 2016 at the earliest if not 2020.

• Advertisement

I had a look at the scheme today on a lovely wednesday evening. The scheme is mixed with progress. The first photo is of the N21 approaching Castleisland with the T21 signage for the Bypass:

DSC02883.jpg

The roundabout u/c for the N21 Tralee road. This is not fully operational yet as there is only one exit available. The N23 roundabout is fully operational with the 2 exits(including Bam site office).

DSC02884.jpg

Heres the mainline of the new N21 approaching the current N21 (Limerick road) climbing lane at Doneen. You can see the underbridge for the golf link road in the background.

DSC02878.jpg

Here the underbridge up close. Work was commencing on earthworks north of the bridge.

DSC02876.jpg

An underpass for the L6541 local road. No embankment done here.
    DSC02879.jpg

The L2017 pound rd overbridge
    DSC02880.jpg

Looking north from the L2017 overbridge
    DSC02882.jpg

Looking south from the L2017 overbridge
    DSC02881.jpg

Judging on what I've seen September may be too early to have this completed. Earthworks are very slow north of the L2017 overbridge with no embankment done for the underpasses above it. Also the tie in with the N21 Limerick road is moving at a slow pace. But for such a relatively short distance I would expect this to be finished before December at least.

tech2 wrote: »
    I had a look at the scheme today on a lovely wednesday evening. The scheme is mixed with progress. The first photo is of the N21 approaching Castleisland with the T21 signage for the Bypass:
    Judging on what I've seen September may be too early to have this completed. Earthworks are very slow north of the L2017 overbridge with no embankment done for the underpasses above it. Also the tie in with the N21 Limerick road is moving at a slow pace. But for such a relatively short distance I would expect this to be finished before December at least.

Tech2, thank you. It's unreal the progress in motion in the pictures that have been posted since the outset. With my now travelling to Limerick at least 3times a week now which I haven't done in a few years, I am seriously willing this project along :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭cjpm

tech2 wrote: »

You'd be surprised the amount of earthworks that could be done in 1-2 months if BAM wanted to rush it. I'd imagine however there is no early completion bonus for this so they'll take their time to keep their own fellas busy. Anyway earthmoving is a disater when the weather is anyway poor.

Thanks for the photos!!!!
    BAM focused on getting the over-bridge and under-passes complete up to christmas.
    Hopefully, the earth-works will pick up soon enough.

thanks again!

kerry4sam wrote: »
    ... I am seriously willing this project along :cool:
    any idea of your approximate travel durations to/from limerick?
    might be worth tracking in order to determine how much you gain when this section opens...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

might be worth tracking in order to determine how much you gain when this section opens...
    Tralee to Abbeyfeale, via Castleisland is approx 30/35mins with medium traffic in Castleisland. I have spent longer than that just actually getting through Castleisland though many times before

At the moment fresca, from Killarney, depends what time I leave & would then depend on the schools finishing ... I am travelling to my destination, anything from 1hr 1/2 to 1hr50 just to the turnoff to Dooradoyle. I always arrive about 45mins early as it is very hard to predict the journey time, then factoring in the unexpected like RTA's and people out for the leisurely drive ... could do with cutting off 20-30mins of drive-time.

same as that ... anywhere between 90 and 110 mins for tralee to limerick.

we'll keep an eye on the time and see how much the castleisland bypass takes off...

from http://www.kerrycoco.ie/en/allservices/roads/roadclosures/title,3448,en.html

Notice is hereby given that, pursuant to Section 75 of the Roads Act, 1993, and the Temporary Closing of Roads Regulations, 1994, Kerry County Council has made a decision to close to public traffic the Local Road L-6541 (in the townlands of Doolaig South, Portduff, Mullaghmarky and Ballynaboul, Castleisland)
    from Doolaig South Cross (at the intersection with the Local Road L-10681 to Doolaig North Lower Cross)
    to Ballynaboul Cross (at the junction with the Local Road L-2017)
    for a period of two (2) consecutive days on Tuesday, 2nd March 2010 and Wednesday, 3rd March 2010.
    The purpose of the road closure is to avoid major interface between construction plant and road users (General Public) and facilitate the safe erection of wing walls to the precast bridge structure over the L-6541 as part of the N21 Castleisland Bypass Road Improvement Scheme.

• Advertisement

is there anyway that these 2 castleisland threads can be merged, please?
    ... this one in infrastructure...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776672
    ... this one in region -> south -> kerry
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64543239

we're repeating the information across these threads.

Thanks.

Advertisement