Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

OutlawPete wrote: »
    In the 1994 World Cup Andres Escobar accidentally slid the ball
    into his own net. The other team (the USA :o) went on to win the game and Colombia went out. They only needed a draw as far as I remember.

Reports and rumours after the match the next day said he was a dead man walking, as there where big time gangsters in Columbia that had fortunes bet on the game.

10 days later, as he left some restaurant with his girlfriend three men grabbed him and shot him in the face and chest a dozen times, shouting 'goal' after every shot.

Andres-Escobar.jpg

35025980938399109075.jpg

ESPN doing what looks to be a very interesting documentary on both Andreas Escobars death and Pablo Escobars, and how they were linked:

http://30for30.espn.com/film/the-two-escobars.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Sheeps wrote: »
    This is pretty graphic. Gun cam footage and the radio logs from an apache helicopter gunning down a group of gun men in Iraq, along with 2 reporters and about 12 innocent people. It was released as evidence in a case brought against the United States by the Reuters news agency for the unjustified killing of their reporters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0

Absolutely shocking video. These guys are totally desensitised to taking the life of another.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Absolutely shocking video. These guys are totally desensitised to taking the life of another.
    These guys appeared to be an enemy wielding weapons at the time to the gunner. I wouldn't want to be held responsible for the deaths of my friendly soldiers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The video to this is one of the most gruesome things I have ever seen....utter carnage.

I just watched the video there, I remember seeing a clip of it a while ago but not the full thing, I didn't know so many people died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

battle-of-britain-children-in-an-english-bomb-shelter-england-1940-41.jpg

Children taking shelter during the Battle of Britain (1940-41)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

This thread is amazing and awful at the same time, It like a re-awakening for people, people who get caught up in the day to day trivial matters, materialism, x factors and pop culture..

It's a reminder of the bigger picture, its amazing to be alive in this day and age where we have a free(for now) internet where people can see things, learn things, things you wouldn't see or hear anywhere else. An education, in truth and reality.

These photos/stories will shock a lot of people, yes, but more importanly they will hopefully awaken peoples minds back to real emotions real honesty and how precious and short each of our lives are. To the world you are one person, but to one person you could be the world.

In the grand scheme of things our lives are just the blink of an eye

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

These guys appeared to be an enemy wielding weapons at the time to the gunner. I wouldn't want to be held responsible for the deaths of my friendly soldiers.

There is no excuse. It was a clear sunny day, the victims were not hiding anywhere, they were out in the open. The gunner should be arrested and charged with murder. These guys are supposed to be highly trained, I could clearly see that nobody had a RPG as he said. He also said during the clip that most of them were armed with AK47's. At most there was one man who had a camera strapped to his shoulder that could have been seen to be a weapon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

There is no excuse. It was a clear sunny day, the victims were not hiding anywhere, they were out in the open. The gunner should be arrested and charged with murder. These guys are supposed to be highly trained, I could clearly see that nobody had a RPG as he said. He also said during the clip that most of them were armed with AK47's. At most there was one man who had a camera strapped to his shoulder that could have been seen to be a weapon.

not to mention opening up on the minibus as they were trying to help the injured man, and wounding 2 children in the process, ive read that the 2 children were handed over to a civilian hospital shortly after getting to the us base

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Not a photograph as such.

The worlds first X ray.

first-x-ray.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

FredandRoseWest.jpg
    25 Cromwell Street
    Between 1967 and 1987 Fred & Rose West tortured, raped and murdered at least 12 young women and girls:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,300 ✭✭✭✭casio4

ChangandEng.jpgChang-eng-bunker-PD.gif

top picture is a painting of the two early on and bottom photo taken later,Chang & Eng Bunker these conjoined twins lived from May 1811-Jan 1874. Born in (Siam) now Thailand, so called siamese twins these were joined at the sternum by a small piece of cartilage, there livers were fused. Modern surgical techniqes would have easily seperated them.They married 2 sisters and Eng and his wife had 11 children,Chang and his wife 10 children

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

49815242.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Description?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

eoin wrote: »
    Description?

It's the map of the arctic circle held by a late explorer who went by the name Archibald Witwicky. It transformed the world of exploring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It's the map of the arctic circle held by a late explorer who went by the name Archibald Witwicky. It transformed the world of exploring.

Are you for real?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Witwicky_family#Archibald_Witwicky
    Captain Archibald Witwicky appeared in the Transformers: Movie Prequel and the Transformers live-action film itself. Archibald Witwicky was a Dutch/English sea captain leading an exploration of the Arctic in 1897 when a crew member found something beneath the ice. They started digging and discovered the frozen Megatron. Witwicky then accidentally activated the Decepticon leader's inertial navigation system which led to a sudden power surge. Unbeknownst to him, the discharge etched a digital map to the All Spark onto the lenses of his glasses. Blinded and forever marked by his vision, Witwicky was committed to a mental institution for life, constantly ranting about visions of the future. A few of his personal items were given to his family, including the pair of glasses. These were passed down over time and eventually given to his great-great-grandson Sam.

The other Autobots and Decepticons arrived on Earth, both searching for the All Spark and the captured Megatron.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

the words "Franklin", "Plate 1" and "Type B" can be clearly made out.
    Don't look like no map to me

No, I'm pretty sure I'm right. That's what my co worker told me anyway.

http://osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/specialcollections/coll/pauling/dna/pictures/sci9.001.5.html

Crystallographic photo of Sodium Thymonucleate, Type B. "Photo 51." May 1952.

You're either taking the piss or your co. worker is pulling your leg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

http://osulibrary.oregonstate.edu/specialcollections/coll/pauling/dna/pictures/sci9.001.5.html

You're either taking the piss or your co. worker is pulling your leg

:eek: i'm so sorry. i just read the wikipedia thing there.

i think i just got fecked over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

sdfs0h.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

any description to it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

kceire wrote: »
    any description to it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonestown

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

hvnsmall.jpg

An isolated picture taken by Edwin Hubble from the hooker telescope.

Most astronomers of Hubble's day thought that all of the universe — the planets, the stars seen with the naked eye and with powerful telescopes, and fuzzy objects called nebulae — was contained within the Milky Way galaxy. Our galaxy, it was thought, was synonymous with the universe.

In 1923 Hubble trained the Hooker telescope on a hazy patch of sky called the Andromeda Nebula. He found that it contained stars just like the ones in our galaxy, only dimmer. One star he saw was a Cepheid variable, a type of star with a known, varying brightness that can be used to measure distances. From this Hubble deduced that the Andromeda Nebula was not a nearby star cluster but rather an entire other galaxy, now called the Andromeda galaxy.

Essentially he discovered that the size of the universe was on scale much larger than ever imagined. From this, what Hubble found was that the farther apart galaxies are from each other, the faster they move away from each other. Based on this observation, Hubble concluded that the universe expands uniformly.
    Was on on BBC 2 last night. Kinda blows your mind reading about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

This is one awesome thread, well done to the OP.

Is there any chance any one has a link/copy of the pic which depicts the turn of the earth, i think it was taken from the tallest building in the world something like that?? All i can recall is when under construction a photo was taken from this building and you could see the turn of the horizon, i cant even recall the name of the building, bit skimpy i know, but i'd love to see it again!

You'd probably need to go alot higher then the tallest building to see that. I'm guessing the fish eyed lens used to take in the whole shot might exaggerate the curve.

Is that the pic?
    That's the Burj Khalifa in Dubai

dubai-curve.jpg

You'd have to go right up to say Everest or in a plane/hot air balloon to get that.

See here for example

You'd need something like a Lockheed SR-71....these thing flew 21kms up :)

SR-71.jpg

We are soooo small to see it, the earth is just so massive :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

csm wrote: »
    jeffreydahmer.jpg

He brought insane to a whole new level.
    Here's a quote from during his trial where he realised the error of his ways.

"I should have gone to college and gone into Real Estate and got myself an aquarium.
    That's what I should have done."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

salonfire wrote: »
    What's the story? ^^^^^^^^
    csm wrote: »
    jeffreydahmer.jpg

EDIT: pic is no longer showing up for me, link to a similar one here

The whole 'matter-of-fact' look on this serial killer's face is what does it for me in this picture. Chilling.

Mostly paraphrased/quoted from Wikipedia:

Jeffrey Dahmer was convicted of 15 murders in 1992. One of his victims was a 14-year old who escaped and was found by passers-by drugged and bleeding in the street. The police were called but Dahmer convinced them that the boy was his lover and they'd just had a fight. The police, the boy & Dahmer went back to Dahmer's apartment where the police noticed a strange smell. Without checking it out they released the kid and went on their way. Dahmer murdered and dismembered the boy that night, and the smell was another victim decomposing in the apartment. It was nearly 2 months and 4 murders later, when another man escaped, that Dahmer was eventually caught:

"As one officer subdued Dahmer, the other opened the refrigerator and found a human head. Further searching of the apartment revealed three more severed heads, multiple photographs of murdered victims and human remains, severed hands and penises, and photographs of dismembered victims and human remains in his refrigerator.[40]

The story of Dahmer's arrest and the inventory in his apartment quickly gained notoriety: several corpses were stored in acid-filled vats, and implements for the construction of an altar of candles and human skulls were found in his closet. Accusations soon surfaced that Dahmer had practiced necrophilia and cannibalism. Seven skulls were found in the apartment.[41] A human heart was found in the freezer.[42]"

Two of the police officers that released the boy back to Dahmer were fired, with recordings made public of them making homophobic comments on the night in question. They appealed their dismissals, were reinstated, and later named officers of the year by the police union. One was subsequently elected president of the Milwaukee Police Association. The apartment block was demolished after the trial and Dahmer was murdered in prison by another inmate in 1994.

Almost unbelievably, a series of youtube videos interviewing Dahmer and his Father can be viewed here. Pure, concentrated evil.

from another poster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

deadhead13 wrote: »
    50176475.jpg?w=700&h=473

Uganda 1980.

:(:confused::eek::(:(:(

WTF??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

^^^^wow!
    That doesn't even look real

Here's another one (real)..

87071e60.jpg

I'd a niece who underwent a similar op in the USA eight years ago, she died recently.

Here's the story from this pic..
    A picture began circulating in November. It should be ‘The Picture of the Year,’ or perhaps, ‘Picture of the Decade.’ It won’t be. In fact,unless you obtained a copy of the US paper which published it, you probably would never have seen it.

The picture is that of a 21-week-old unborn baby named Samue l Alexander Armas, who is being operated on by surgeon named Joseph Bruner.

The baby was diagnosed with spina bifida and would not survive if removed from his mother’s womb. Little Samuel’s mother, Julie Armas, is an obstetrics nurse in Atlanta . She knew of Dr. Bruner’s remarkable surgical procedure. Practicing at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville , he performs these special operations while the baby is still in the womb.

During the procedure, the doctor removes the uterus via C-section and makes a small incision to operate on the baby. As Dr.Bruner completed the surgery on Samuel, the little guy reached his tiny, but fully developed hand through the incision and firmly grasped the surgeon’s finger. DrBruner was reported as saying that when his finger was grasped, it was the most emotional moment of his life, and that for an instant during the procedure he was just frozen, totally immobile.

The photograph captures this amazing event with perfect clarity. The editors titled the picture, ‘Hand of Hope.’ The text explaining the picture begins, ‘The tiny hand of 21-week- old fetus Samuel Alexander Armas emerges from the mother’s uterus to grasp the finger of Dr. Joseph Bruner as if thanking the doctor for the gift of life..’

Little Samuel’s mother said they ‘wept for days’ when they saw the picture. She said, ‘The photo reminds us pregnancy isn’t about disability or an illness, it’s about a little person.’Samuel was born in perfect health, the operation 100 percent successful. Now see the actual picture.

Advertisement