Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie 2-day Foldathon

Options
  • 21-09-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

What is the Foldathon:
    In an effort to try and kick start the Folding team here at boards.ie, we'll be holding a 2 day Foldathon every month. 2 days when you forgo gaming, and fire up some Folding clients.

Pretty sure most of us will get competitive, so plenty of banter to be had, and best of all, you'll be helping research diseases. :)

How it works:
    Run Folding@home for team boards.ie (number 39432) during the specified times. If you don't know what Folding@home is, feel free to make a thread in the forum or check these guides:

What is Folding?
    CPU Folding
    GPU Folding

When?:

Wednesday October 6th, 5pm until Friday October 8th, 5pm.

Sign-Up:

> Sign up Link HERE <

List of current sign ups

Sig Link:

[php]:DJoin the Boards.ie 2-day Foldathon :D[/php]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭SportsGreatest

I'll take part in this for sure. I've never 'folded' before, but this will provide me with some much needed study-time. :rolleyes:

I will be using my PS3 - will that be much help, or does it not contribute much?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭zodac

I'll take part in this for sure. I've never 'folded' before, but this will provide me with some much needed study-time. :rolleyes:

I will be using my PS3 - will that be much help, or does it not contribute much?

Yay! :D

The PS3 will get ~1.2k points a day... at the moment I've got my PS3 Folding for boards; you can see the stats here:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=528532

That puts me as 4th highest producer for the team, so yeah, it will contribute quite a bit. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sig Link ver. zodac :D

[PHP]:D Join the Boards.ie 2-day Foldathon :D[/PHP]

I like to give people a blank slate, to personalise it themselves. ;)

Bump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Saw this yesterday and decided to start folding again on my PS3 today. Joined the Boards team. I'll probably start doing it more regularly now that I know about the team. Bit more of a community spirit and motivation rather than do it on my own :P

Awesome. Thanks for joining. :thumb:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I fold for TCD usually but I'll join for sure! Can you pop down to B&U forum and post a reminder beforehand as I don't often visit Distributed Computing.

Edit: WILL THERE BE PRIZES?!!!!!

I'll PM all sign ups the night before. ;)

And no... no prizes this time around... this month is to show the Folding section is alive. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Count me in zodac, just signed up there. Amazingly, the time suits me perfectly as I'm in school on those 2 evenings and wouldn't get any time to sit down to my machine anyway. That's not to say I wouldn't join otherwise... :P :D

• Advertisement

Awesome. :)

Need a hand setting up any of the clients?

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭BeciMester

Actually I wouldn't mind, I think I'll send you a PM.

Cool... I'll be waiting. ;)

8 sign ups now. applaud.gif

I fold for TCD usually but I'll join for sure! Can you pop down to B&U forum and post a reminder beforehand as I don't often visie Distributed Computing.

Reading Announcements Fail :rolleyes::p

:confused:

Solitaire, I think he wants a reminder before the Foldathon. ;)

As I said, I'll PM everyone one the sign up sheet the day before. :D

Bumpies. :)

11 sign ups so far... let's go for 15. We've got 1 week left. wheee.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I'll move over 80 cpu clients, 12 cpu clients and 2 ps3's over for the 48 hours. Should give a nice little boost ;) Will take me a bloody age to install and setup all the clients though. Also have to hope work won't mind too much.

• Advertisement

^ Show-off! :rolleyes::p

Anti wrote: »
    I'll move over 80 cpu clients, 12 cpu clients and 2 ps3's over for the 48 hours. Should give a nice little boost ;) Will take me a bloody age to install and setup all the clients though. Also have to hope work won't mind too much.

Very nice. :p

Setting up the clients shouldn't be too bad though. Version 6.30 of the SMP client doesn't use the MPI libraries, so no need for install.bat anymore. So make a folder with the Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe file and client.cfg (and a shortcut of the Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe with the -smp flag added) then copy it to each of your CPUs. :D
    Solitaire wrote: »
    ^ Show-off! :rolleyes::p

Oh, most definitely. I'm not complaining though. :D

We got lovely new machines in the labs in College, packed with i7-860 goodness! Will have to give some of these a nice break-in.

Yes... you definitely need to do that. I think we're gonna see a very nice PPD boost next week guys. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Oh some i7 goodness. Most of the machines here in work are crappy quad core amd's or ****ty c2d's :( I doub't ill get much out of them, but every little helps. Is it still possible to use a - flag to disable it from showing in the taskbar? Last thing i want is someone closing it on me.

Not sure about the flag, but when you configure it you can have it run as a service. Should do the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

k. I'm in.

We just hit 15 sign ups. applaud.gif

Bump.

• Advertisement

A day and a half to go people. ;)

Advertisement