Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SMS from Desktop?

Options
  • 12-10-2007 8:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I am looking for an app that will automate the process of logging into the vodafone website from my desktop to send a SMS. I used to use Multitext and JSMS but these stopped working when some server was offline.
    Is there any tool that will just do the 'SMS from your desktop' bit?

Sorry if this has been answered already, but some of the threads are v. long.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's apps that can use your phone via bluetooth to send SMS, but if you want the text to come from your mobile number then your limited to JSMS, Multitext or a bluetooth connection to you phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The aft server is being taken down soon so jsms will stop wor completely unless the maker makes the server configurable like whats being done with aft. Take a look in the aft thread for more info

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

The aft server is being taken down soon so jsms will stop wor completely unless the maker makes the server configurable like whats being done with aft. Take a look in the aft thread for more info

Does JSMS actually use a server to send texts. I thought (assumed) it communicated directly with the networks' website.

It does for meteor but afaik uses the aft server for the other networks. It definitely did before but he might have updated it since

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

I think the Jsms developer went on an extended holiday... round the world jobbie. So I doubt he will be in a position to update the server for some time. :-(

• Advertisement

I'll whip something basic up in the next few days so. I'll add a phonebook and multiple logins over the next while

i've made the program. get it here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

quintron wrote: »
    I think the Jsms developer went on an extended holiday... round the world jobbie. So I doubt he will be in a position to update the server for some time. :-(

It is true that the original developer of JSMS is currently way and is not actively working on the project. However, the project is still alive and kicking and we have just made a new release (v3.2.0). It can be downloaded from http://jsmsirl.sourceforge.net and details are available in this thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055169923

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭The Kid

It does for meteor but afaik uses the aft server for the other networks. It definitely did before but he might have updated it since

This is correct.

JSMS connects to the Meteor website directly. For Vodafone and O2 it uses the AFT server. We have the ability (through a property file) to switch Meteor access to also go through AFT, but this is not enabled by default.

We are obviously interested in the future of AFT. As such I'd like to talk to Dal and Commander Vimes to help me understand a bit better what is happening there. We did have some contact with Yman a number of months back but the email address I have for him no longer works.

Anyway, I'd like to continue this in Commander Vimes' "cabbage" thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭g5hn710m4xpdwy

I think your looking for a program such as Text Buddy

I used to use it but havn't in a long time. Will test it out again..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 betarparliament

How can I add a Sms Discount/Voip Cheap account on Cabbage mobile? Once I go to new account it asks for phone number and password. The username for Sms Distount/Voip Chep is alphabetical but I only have the option for numerical username. Plz help me on this. Thanks in advance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

How can I add a Sms Discount/Voip Cheap account on Cabbage mobile? Once I go to new account it asks for phone number and password. The username for Sms Distount/Voip Chep is alphabetical but I only have the option for numerical username. Plz help me on this. Thanks in advance
    Well if you have a nokia just press the # key until abc appears up top. Might be a * on other phones but its definitly possible.

This thread brings back memories :)

Are you using the latest version of cabbage mobile, V1.6.2?

It should give you an option for an alphabetical username, then a phone number, password and network

squared wrote: »
    Well if you have a nokia just press the # key until abc appears up top. Might be a * on other phones but its definitly possible.
    I tried this but does not work. As i said it only accepts a number. Like when you add a phone number as a contact it only allows you to type a number. The hash or star button is inactive on that column.

I tried this but does not work. As i said it only accepts a number. Like when you add a phone number as a contact it only allows you to type a number. The hash or star button is inactive on that column.

you are typing your username in the text box marked "Login name" and not the one marked "phone number" right?

And are you using the latest version? This one:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.6.2.jar

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you are typing your username in the text box marked "Login name" and not the one marked "phone number" right?

And are you using the latest version? This one:
    http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.6.2.jar

I am using the latest version. I have been trying to type the username on phone number. Should I try it on the Login name?...I've just tried with my username typing on login name. Still not working.

I am using the latest version. I have been trying to type the username on phone number. Should I try it on the Login name?

Yes. When using a web text login the login name doesn't matter but with sms discount it has to be your username. If you've verified your phone number with sms discount and enter it in the phone number text box in the format +353871234567 the texts will appear to come from your number

I've just tried with my username typing on login name. Still not working.

What's the error you're getting and does it appear very quickly after pressing send, ie within two to three seconds?

As long as you're 100% sure that you have the correct username in the login name box and the correct password, you might be experiencing a problem someone else had a few weeks ago. Press options->accounts->options->edit server

and change the server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php

Note that the current server will be http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php so it's not enough to just change cabbagetexter to powermyphone, you have to add /cabbage too

What's the error you're getting and does it appear very quickly after pressing send, ie within two to three seconds?

As long as you're 100% sure that you have the correct username in the login name box and the correct password, you might be experiencing a problem someone else had a few weeks ago. Press options->accounts->options->edit server

and change the server to http://powermyphone.com/cabbage/send.php

Note that the current server will be http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php so it's not enough to just change cabbagetexter to powermyphone, you have to add /cabbage too

Thanks very much. My mobile number hasn't been verified with sms discount. That could be the problem. I'll let you when I have the phone number verified. Cheers

Thanks very much. My mobile number hasn't been verified with sms discount. That could be the problem. I'll let you when I have the phone number verified. Cheers

Sorry that shouldn't matter. If your number isn't verified the only difference is the text appears to come from your username instead of your phone number. try the suggestions in my post

• Advertisement

I've the phone number verified and now its working perfect. I didn't need to edit the server. Thanks for such a cool software. cheers

I've the phone number verified and now its working perfect. I didn't need to edit the server. Thanks for such a cool software. cheers

Ah maybe that is related to the problem. I'll let the other guy who had this problem know. Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

who is taking down the aft server and why?:

towel401 wrote: »
    who is taking down the aft server and why?:

This thread is two years old :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

This thread is two years old :)

it can't be due to the recession then

towel401 wrote: »
    it can't be due to the recession then

Just to clarify, it's not being taken down. There was talk of it being taken down two years ago but it's not :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

This thread is a duplicate and is really just a Cabbage support thread. As the issue has been resolved I'm gonna lock this and leave further queries for the mega thread.

Cheers

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement