Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

• 14-10-2007 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

following on from this thread, i made a new desktop based texting program. the AFT server is being taken down soon so the desktop based clients JSMS and multitext will stop working.

the server side code of AFT is being made available for other people to host and the phone based AFT client is being rewritten to allow the server to be changed by the user but the multitext project has stopped and the guy who wrote JSMS is on a round the world trip or something so a new one was needed. And here it is :)

its similar to multitext but independently made. there's probably some bugs in it because it was made in about 6 hours so let me know if you find any. its set to use the aft server at the moment but that won't work forever. if anyone wants a copy of my server side code to host themselves pm me. my version works with vodafone :) and if anyone wants to make their hosting available for others to use that'd be great.

its called cabbage. there is no reason to call it cabbage but i wasn't bothered thinking of anything so i chose a random word. if anyone can think of a good name you can have a share in the €0.00 i'm making from it

edit: i decided that i was sick of uploading it back here every time and boards stops you editing posts after a while so you can get it here:
    http://www.cabbagetexter.com/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

Funny, was looking for something to send SMS's from desktop this afternoon. Thanks. Works just fine.
    I have 2 accounts, and it would be better, I think if the account selected on main page was identifed by name and not as at present by mobile number of acct. Both my accounts are 086, but the one I use most is with Meteor. But its good to have it anyway.
    thanks

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 28,649 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

just tried on meteor.. works grand. Cheers! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,649 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Few quick things:

- Could the next version include a minimise button?
    - Any chance of an option to save a number to the address book if not already present?
    Saves you having to populate the address book seperately. It's the one thing I miss about Vodafone's webtext since moving back to meteor.
    - Could the address book display the name and number in the list.

Otherwise great little app as I said. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Why not have a number history similar to browser history so you don't have to manually add to your address book.

I don't know if it has that as I've not used it yet. I have downloaded it and I'll give a go at some stage. Thanks for the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

look guys theres a chance aft is not gonna work after this month but its not 100%, if someone else is hosting it ill gladly point the domains over, heck maybe the server im on will carry on for another while. I just want everyone to be prepared in the event of it happening

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Few quick things:

- Could the next version include a minimise button?
    done

- Any chance of an option to save a number to the address book if not already present?
    done

- Could the address book display the name and number in the list.
    done

brim4brim wrote: »
    Why not have a number history similar to browser history so you don't have to manually add to your address book.
    i think offering to save the number after sending is enough tbh. that'd be fairly awkward to code

donutface wrote: »
    look guys theres a chance aft is not gonna work after this month but its not 100%, if someone else is hosting it ill gladly point the domains over, heck maybe the server im on will carry on for another while. I just want everyone to be prepared in the event of it happening
    ah we'll sort it out. some people will offer to host the files

the updated exe is in the first post. you'll have to put your contacts in again unfortunately because the format's changed to allow login names instead of just numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Awesome app man, I think this is a world class idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Great work CV! Its a really tidy interface and a well made app.
    I have one question? What way are the numbers stored? I have about 500 names in the format Firstname Lastname, 08XXXXXXXX as per JSMS.
    Is there any way of importing CSV style names and numbers?
    Cheers,
    Q.

shouldn't be a problem. would it matter if they appeared in alphabetical order using the first names instead of the last names?

shouldn't be a problem. would it matter if they appeared in alphabetical order using the first names instead of the last names?

Wouldn't matter at all. In fact thats the way they are now! :D

• Advertisement

quintron wrote: »
    Wouldn't matter at all. In fact thats the way they are now! :D

you can now import names

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Old Jim

Have tried it on 2 seperate vodafone accounts but keep getting the error: "Error: Invalid login details"
    Tried downloading the latest version from the link, the one without the minimise button, but still the same. My login details are correct.

i know. the AFT server doesn't work with vodafone at the moment and that's what its set to use. i'll pm you the server i use if you promise not to give it to anyone. its free hosting so it doesn't allow much usage and if too many people use it the networks will block it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

What server address do we use CV?

you can now import names
    That was quick!!
    Nice one CV.
    Appreciate that feature.

ned78 wrote: »
    What server address do we use CV?

at the moment the aft server:
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/sendsms.aspx
    but that might be going down soon, then we'll need to get different hosting. if you're on vodafone the aft won't work at the moment so pm me for a server address that works

quintron wrote: »
    That was quick!!
    Nice one CV.
    Appreciate that feature.
    no prob :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Should we use the standard server

for sending from Meteor? Great app btw

Yes you should. Its only not working with vodafone at the moment

i'm looking into a version that will be completely client side at the moment so a server won't be needed at all and it'd be impossible to block. Does anyone know if there's an equivalent of the cURL functions in visual basic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

I have pm'ed you cv.. cool app..

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey man, ur geocities web page seems to be down? And my program is not working anymore...keeps saying that Error-can not send text in the program window.

• Advertisement

the geocities site is working again. the network sites weren't working properly yesterday which is why the program wasn't working.

i've updated the program so that vodafone and meteor both work entirely client side. only o2 has to use the server because i haven't figured how to access their site yet :)

if you go into manage server, you'll see a new option to set it to use the server or not, by default its set not to use it. if you set it not to use the server, o2 will use it anyway

there's a lot of new code there so there's the potential for a lot of bugs. let me know if you find any

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I have trired downloading the file, but when I try to extract it, there is no file to extract. Is there some kind of problem with it.

By the way, I use MeteorSMS 2.1 at the moment and that still works fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

Commander , this is a great idea.I had Multitext before but it was causing problems so hope this works well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Working fine here, nice work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

erk... can't do without it... I'd like to host a copy of the server side stuff here.. will pm you in a sec.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    I have trired downloading the file, but when I try to extract it, there is no file to extract. Is there some kind of problem with it.

By the way, I use MeteorSMS 2.1 at the moment and that still works fine.

it extracts fine for me. don't know what to tell you. its only a crappy geocities site so it goes over the bandwidth allowance a lot. it took me two or three attempts to get it just there. try downloading it again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭ Stanley Faithful Gurney

it extracts fine for me. don't know what to tell you. its only a crappy geocities site so it goes over the bandwidth allowance a lot. it took me two or three attempts to get it just there. try downloading it again

set up a site on bravehost.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Would it be an idea to have a server list built into these programs so users could select a different server from the default if one goes down and the ability to enter a custom URL?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

that would be an idea... I like it.

• Advertisement

brim4brim wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to have a server list built into these programs so users could select a different server from the default if one goes down and the ability to enter a custom URL?

the only publicly available server at the moment is the AFT server:

more can be added as they become available. i don't think it'd be necessary to build them into the program, maybe they could be put in a text file and zipped up with the package.

you already can enter a custom url. settings->manage server

of course i'm hoping that a server won't be needed at all. currently i've got meteor and vodafone working without needing a server. o2 is proving more difficult

Advertisement