Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 upgrade - Phase II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Tragedy

Thanks for that
    Any info on when the Knocklyon interchange will be completed?
    Its in absolute sh1t at the moment and there has been working going on here since around last April. If anything it seems to be worse now then it ever was. The cones that have replaced the old roundabout are lethal with really sharp turns now required to get onto or off the M50
    Not to mention the unannounced severe bumps between where the tarmac has been removed and is still built up, very surprised there hasn't been accidents from people hitting them on the slip roads at 60+km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Tragedy wrote: »
    Not to mention the unannounced severe bumps between where the tarmac has been removed and is still built up, very surprised there hasn't been accidents from people hitting them on the slip roads at 60+km/h

Jesus yeah, coming off the M50 for the Spawell can wreck you car.
    Two of the three seem to be covered now though.

Does anyone have a link to the new Scholarstown Interchange? Curious about how many lanes it will have on slips and on the link roads from knocklyon/firhouse.
    Traffic gets backed up as far as this in the mornings: link.

Think the Firhouse side can be almost as bad too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Think the Firhouse side can be almost as bad too!

Yes, it can be pretty bad! Depending on the time of day it usually backs up around the Ballycullen roundabout, sometimes more than that. Actually the normal situation is that the traffic coming from Tallaght/Old Bawn moves quite quickly once you get past the roundabout & on towards the M50, at the moment it's slow because of road works.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

4311389391_03dfe6b79e_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Looking at the diagram, I'm guessing it will have the same traffic light setup as Ballymount?

Pity they couldn't do freeflows, with having two sets of lights I can't see this operating fast enough at peak times to stop traffic building up and paralysing Scholarstown road in both directions still.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

Looking at the diagram, I'm guessing it will have the same traffic light setup as Ballymount?

Pity they couldn't do freeflows, with having two sets of lights I can't see this operating fast enough at peak times to stop traffic building up and paralysing Scholarstown road in both directions still.

Much better than whats there presently all the same, time will tell.

Indeed. It's amusing that it's faster to get from Scholarstown Park to M50N at 9 in the morning by going Templeroan Rd > Knocklyon Rd > Firhouse Rd > Spawell link Rd > N81 towards M50 and northbound, then turning right onto Scholarstown Road towards M50!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭M50 Traffic MGT

celticbest wrote: »
    Hi MGT,

Can you give a quick update regarding the opening of the remaining lanes of the new Freeflows at Junction 3,

1. M1S to M50S
    2. M50N to Port Tunnel
    3. M50N to M1N

Also can you please confirm what the works that are currently being carried out in the centre median of the M1 between the M50 Junction and Airport Junction are for?

On the M1 NB an additional lane is being constructed in the median. Once completed, the M1 NB lanes will move to the right. This will allow both lanes from the M50 NB to have "lane gains" - eliminating the necessity for traffic to merge, hopefully speeding up the transition from the M50 to the M1. Further up at the airport, the layout will not change, two lanes to the airport and two continue to the M1 NB.

On the M50 Northern Cross, all temporary TM will be removed from the mainline, from the N3 Interchange to the M1 Interchange this weekend. This process will start at 10pm tonight and will be completed by 6am on Monday morning. Northbound from Ballymun all lanes will be open, but from the M1 SB and M1 NB both slips will remain at one lane each as works on the M1 are not completed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

We will have a date for removal of all TM on the mainline from Ballymount to Sandyford by the end of this week

It's the end of the week :).

So, when will the cones be removed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

On the M1 NB an additional lane is being constructed in the median. Once completed, the M1 NB lanes will move to the right. This will allow both lanes from the M50 NB to have "lane gains" - eliminating the necessity for traffic to merge, hopefully speeding up the transition from the M50 to the M1. Further up at the airport, the layout will not change, two lanes to the airport and two continue to the M1 NB.

On the M50 Northern Cross, all temporary TM will be removed from the mainline, from the N3 Interchange to the M1 Interchange this weekend. This process will start at 10pm tonight and will be completed by 6am on Monday morning. Northbound from Ballymun all lanes will be open, but from the M1 SB and M1 NB both slips will remain at one lane each as works on the M1 are not completed yet

That's great news MGT thanks for the update.

Just to clarify, does this mean that 3 lanes will now be opened NB under junction 6 Blanchardstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Loads of road cleaning going on from M1 NB up past N2 junction this am getting ready for opening of the extra mainline lanes this am.

celticbest wrote: »
    That's great news MGT thanks for the update.

Just to clarify, does this mean that 3 lanes will now be opened NB under junction 6 Blanchardstown?

Unfortunately at this location we are unable to open 3 lanes but once you get past the new bridge (under the canal) all three lanes will be opened. It will be another few months until we will have 3 lanes from the toll to Finglas

From the M50 website.
    http://m50.ie/index.php?page=m50-northern-section-mainline-opens
    Please be advised that during the weekend of 29th to 31st January M50 Concession Ltd will remove the current traffic management from the M50 mainline carriageway between J3 M1 and J6 N3. The works to open up the full mainline carriageway will take place in three phases over Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights, and as of 06:00hrs on Monday 1st February the auxiliary lane and hardshouder between J3 M1 and J6 N3 will be open to the travelling public.
    The three phases will be:

Friday 29th (works complete and open to public at 06:00 Saturday)
    Northbound: Second lane to open on M50 NB to M1 SB free flow slip road. All lanes from J4 Ballmun to J3 M1 will be open.
    Southbound: Hardshoulder and Auxiliary Lane from J5 N2 to J6 N3 will be open.

Saturday 30th (works complete and open to public at 06:00 Sunday)
    Northbound: All lanes from J5 N2 to J4 Ballymun will be open
    Southbound: All lanes from J4 Ballymun to J5 N2 will be open

Sunday 31st (works complete and open to public at 06:00 Monday)
    Northbound: All lanes from north side of J6 N3 to J5 N2 will be open
    Southbound: All lanes from J3 M1 to J4 Ballymun will be open.

Traffic management will remain in place on J3 M1 interchange, J4 Ballymun interchange, J5 N2 interchange, J6 N3 interchange and M1 mainline until works are complete in these areas.

But nothing on Tallaght to Sandyford. Why is there such a disparity in the accuracy of information provided, and information on, this section, compared to the Northern section.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    But nothing on Tallaght to Sandyford. Why is there such a disparity in the accuracy of information provided, and information on, this section, compared to the Northern section.

I suppose it's a simple case of no news to issue, maybe next week!

The Final Road Safety Audit for Ballymount to Sandyford was carried out this week and the NRA have 20 working days to review the findings before they give the green light for it to open. As soon as they give the go ahead all lanes will be opened, just like the Northern Cross, which was audited just before Christmas. As soon as we get word I will post it here

M50 Traffic Management

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Will the Northern section ne officially 100kmh from now on? i.e no roadwork restrictions

The Final Road Safety Audit for Ballymount to Sandyford was carried out this week and the NRA have 20 working days to review the findings before they give the green light for it to open. As soon as they give the go ahead all lanes will be opened, just like the Northern Cross, which was audited just before Christmas. As soon as we get word I will post it here

M50 Traffic Management

Thanks-so scheduled works are completed and it's is up to the NRA now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Thanks-so scheduled works are completed and it's is up to the NRA now?

yeah I'd imagine so, just any alterations that may come up as a result of the NRA inspection.

hope it all came up to spec and they'll get back pronto to M50 & his guys and they'll get out to lift the cones soon.

Any idea how the first openings up at the northern end went today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

Hi Folks,
    the image below is from M50.ie. Is it how the finished N2 junction will look? Or has it been changed?

junction5_large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭jmkennedyie

It has been changed. E.g. on West side there is bridge being constructed to increase freeflow movements. Not sure if petter pic online. Maybe in the bowels of a boards thread.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Will the Northern section ne officially 100kmh from now on? i.e no roadwork restrictions

I would imagine so, if the 100kmh signs have been uncovered and the 60kmh ones removed & the road de-coned!
    I've not driven the road so I'm not sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SomeGuyCalledMi

It has been changed. E.g. on West side there is bridge being constructed to increase freeflow movements. Not sure if petter pic online. Maybe in the bowels of a boards thread.

Thanks, glad to hear it. It wasnt going to be very "free flow" if they stuck to that drawing.

Also, does that look like a new junction going in just to the south? Roundabout maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Thanks, glad to hear it. It wasnt going to be very "free flow" if they stuck to that drawing.

Also, does that look like a new junction going in just to the south? Roundabout maybe?

The junction to the south is the existing on for Charlestown shopping centre the only difference being that the central median appears to be open in that design although I don't thin they will implement that in practice.

From what it seems, the N2 interchange will be completely free flow when finished. A very basic diagram on the NRA website (http://www.nra.ie/RepositoryforPublicationsInfo/file,17001,en.pdf) seems to show this to be so, but also the works on the ground show overbridges for the bits that appear as junctions on the diagram in the earlier post.

I travelled Northbound today from Finglas to airport, and the northbound aux lane is all open from approx the R108 overbridge (just after Finglas) all the way to the airport. Looks very well, and the speed limits are 100km/h now. Still some ongoing works at Finglas for the next few months, so that's it for a while I guess. Nice and wide at the J3/M1 interchange with the 5 lanes fully opened. Wonder what it will be like in Monday's rush hour!

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

M50 Traffic Management
    20 working days = 4 weeks = the entire month of February?!

How is this justifiable or reasonable? Where is the sense of urgency given the current traffic conditions and the many missed deadlines already? This stretch could be opened by the end of the week if anybody WANTED it to...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

20 working days = 4 weeks = the entire month of February?!

How is this justifiable or reasonable? Where is the sense of urgency given the current traffic conditions and the many missed deadlines already? This stretch could be opened by the end of the week if anybody WANTED it to...

Presumably 20 is the maximum, meaning it might well be open by the end of the week (next week)

Absurdum wrote: »
    Presumably 20 is the maximum, meaning it might well be open by the end of the week (next week)

Presumably it is, but if the NRA find any issues, I wonder if that 20 day clock resets?

And yes, it could be open by the end of the week. But here's hoping it's open on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I would imagine so, if the 100kmh signs have been uncovered and the 60kmh ones removed & the road de-coned!
    I've not driven the road so I'm not sure.

Actually having driven that way late last night when they were deconing, I think the only restrictions will remain at junctions where work continues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

drove southboud from junction 3 to junction 9 this morning on the M50.
    argh tis great.
    no cones
    no traffic.
    just idiots sitting in the overtaking lanes.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement