Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ashbourne cinema

Options
  • 13-02-2009 11:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

Anyone know when this opens?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

June

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Is it true that Storm pulled out and it's gonna be called something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

Yep, Showtime Cinema's will be operating it.

decob wrote: »
    Yep, Showtime Cinema's will be operating it.

Know how many screens there's gonna be?

6 screens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

jack321 wrote: »
    June

Where did you hear June? Anything official i.e. press release from last year was saying May. Plus it looks fairly finished these days; I thought it might be ahead of schedule.

I reckon they might do better than before, which is good news for the town. A night out at the cinema is a hell of a lot cheaper than the pub, especially in Ashbourne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Sanerah

I wonder if they will be providing subtitled. I am Deaf and I live in Ashbourne, the main cinemas in Ireland provide subtitles, i hope I don't have to keep travelling to Dublin to watch the latest film...

as from marywallace.ie website july news.
    "He is programmed to hand over the building on the 16th March next year when the operator will fit out and it is expected that blockbuster movies will be shown in Ashbourne Cinema in May 2009."
    He refering to the builder, a cinema fitter will take over the cinema from march 16th to kit it out ready for may opening !
    Sanerah not sure about an answer to your question but here is the website for the new cinema
    http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/
    under construction , you could ask them when the website gets going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bart rudiger

Does anyone know how many people they will b hiring and how to apply?
    Their website is still in the development stage so no answers there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

I can't wait to see the new Cinema. It's opening next Month, so yay! I am a Cinema fan and have been to quite a few around Dublin. I've been to Santry Omniplex, Savoy, Screen D'Olier Street, The Lighthouse (very snazzy and trendy), Virgin/UGC/Cineworld, Ster Century/VUE, UCI Tallaght (my personal fave, but don't get to go out very often to it), UCI Coolock, UCI Blanchardstown (my regular), Movies @ Dundrum, Movies @ Swords (I am ALWAYS in there).

Have I mentioned them all? The only one I have yet to visit is New Savoy in Balbriggan, but I heard it's ****e, so I am not really bothered to go to it. After all, with a name like 'New Savoy' (the only REAL and genunine Savoy is the one in Dublin City) who WANTS to go to it when you have the option of one of the bigger Cineplexes in the City?!?!

Personally, I cannot WAIT to see the Ashbourne Cinema!

• Advertisement

I was up in the retail park last Saturday week (4 April) and ok, you wouldn't expect to see anyone working on the site on a Saturday but it looked fairly abandoned. All the structure is in place and they've got stairs and a lift shaft in but it's far from finished - not at the "kitting-out" stage at all. For a place that's supposed to be open in 10 weeks at the latest, it's still got tons to be done.

I'll swing around by it later today and see, hopefully I'm wrong. I also hope Ashbournians will support it, I have this feeling since it was first announced that it'll err on the side of blockbusters and locals will continue to flock to Blanch. And it's a pity they stuck it out on the edge of town; a cinema would've been a real boost on Killegland St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 It'sMr.BigToYou

I hear ya! I was up a little while ago too and didn't see any work going on. I don't think it has been abandoned as the company running it have set up a website but have not enabled features such a booking options, etc. on it yet. Keep the Faith!

That website has been coming soon for friggin' ages. I want to know about job vacancies. Anything will do at this stage.

I reckon the latest Ashbourne news will have more info.... *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ferga_com

Passed it at around 8.15 this morning and there was work in progress.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Website has changed, now says "Opening in Ashbourne June 2009"

http://www.showtimecinemas.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

They'll be doing well to have it open in June I'd say. When I passed it last week, inside of it was still a shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 roryok

Can't wait for this to open. still doesn't look like it'll be ready in june to me though. they could do with getting it ope for the summer hols and with all the big summer movies to get people going

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

Ad in the Chronicle this week looking for staff for cinema had an email address but I cant find it someone must have thrown it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kev-bag

great do you know how many people they will be hiring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Bigbusman

Just saw that the cinema is opening on 12th June, cant wait.

• Advertisement

Bigbusman wrote: »
    Just saw that the cinema is opening on 12th June, cant wait.

Good shtuff; where did you see that, Bigbusman?

it's work sensitive, but I saw some advertising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

I passed it yersterday evening. The outside of the building looks near completion. Inside, the lift is in, but there's still a huge amount of work to get the interior completed.

We just got a new ad in this morning and it's now saying the 19th of June, Transformers is the opening movie. Apparently the main screen is the biggest in the country.

when is the website going to advance from 'opening soon'
    it would be nice to get more info.

I've no idea jack 321, we have nothing to do with that.

Bigbusman wrote: »
    Apparently the main screen is the biggest in the country.

Seriously? Quite a coup for us so! It'll put Ashbourne on the map more than Hunky Dorys, Kieron "Wolf" Ducie, Johnny Logan or the guy who wrote "Angels" (who lives on Bourne Avenue, btw)!!!

With such huge technical investment, I wonder if they bothered with digital projectors, considering they might be the norm in the next 10 years or so. Saw Star Trek in digital then regular format, made a big difference.

p.s. Anyone know what might be going next to the cinema? I think it was zoned cafe/restaurant *crosses fingers for Eddie Rocket's*

* EDIT: I was also up there yesterday, plenty work going on but nowhere near finished. Just over 3 weeks til opening and there's a fierce amount of bare concrete about the place but like Mick said, the lift appears to be in and they've finished cladding the "gable end" with a weird fin-type design.

JayeL wrote: »
    Seriously? Quite a coup for us so! It'll put Ashbourne on the map more than Hunky Dorys, Kieron "Wolf" Ducie, Johnny Logan or the guy who wrote "Angels" (who lives on Bourne Avenue, btw)!!!

Yup - I'm definitely going to be bragging that I live within five minutes drive of the biggest cinema screen in the country. :D

When you say the guy who wrote Angels, do you mean the Robbie Williams song?

ferga_com wrote: »
    When you say the guy who wrote Angels, do you mean the Robbie Williams song?

Yeah, Ray Heffernan, he wrote it and sold it to Robbie Williams for £5K or so. Never thought anything of it and next thing it was a huge hit that he couldn't cash in on.

He lived there 3-4 years ago, they did a bit on him in the Herald and referred to him as "Ashbourne man Ray Heffernan". He may have been a blow-in but then who isn't!

Anyway, we still have J-Lo, the greatest living Eurovision winner according to himself on Tubridy last week, since no. 1 (Abba) have split up and no. 2 is dead.

• Advertisement

JayeL wrote: »
    Anyway, we still have J-Lo, the greatest living Eurovision winner according to himself on Tubridy last week, since no. 1 (Abba) have split up and no. 2 is dead.

What, Dana is dead??? ;)

Is there a "famous people living in..." thread on boards? I had a search and didn't find anything.

Advertisement