Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling "riskier" than driving

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

concussion wrote: »
    She swerved in front - he slammed on the brakes. Seems to me that he saw here there, why exactly does she need a hi-viz jacket?
    maybe because it would give the bus driver a bit more time to react next time round. Wonder what that woman is doing cycling up a one way street thinks the bus driver instead of WTF!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

A hi-viz bib don't cost a lot, I don't see what harm it is to throw one on.

It looks dorky.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Lumen wrote: »
    It looks dorky.

Better than looking dead!

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Lumen wrote: »
    It looks dorky.
    Would you rather be a live dork or a dead hipster

Better than looking dead!

Indeed, if there was a correlation.

• Advertisement

Would you rather be a live dork or a dead hipster

Is there a third option?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

maybe because it would give the bus driver a bit more time to react next time round. Wonder what that woman is doing cycling up a one way street thinks the bus driver instead of WTF!
    Well maybe if the bus was painted in luminous yellow with a scotchlite stripe she might have seen it. You can't hold her responsible if the bus company doesn't want to make their buses visible.

I still think we should paint the entire world luminous yellow and wrap it in scotchlite.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

People are free to wear what they want, but what I've a problem with is the implication that if you don't deck yourself out in high-viz clothing it's somehow your responsibility if you get hit.

Look, how, how, how is it possible for the most unambiguous video ever posted to ferment an argument?

Show eleventy million cyclists that video, and you'll get eleventy million responses the same. The video was full of suicidal morons. Being a suicidal moron is moronic and suidical. End of analysis.

What the hell has hi-vis and helmets got to do with anything?

Well maybe if the bus was painted in luminous yellow with a scotchlite stripe she might have seen it. You can't hold her responsible if the bus company doesn't want to make their buses visible.

I still think we should paint the entire world luminous yellow and wrap it in scotchlite.
    I think we should just re-programme all cyclists via electro therapy to think along the same line as motorists when using the roads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭concussion

He saw her and braked. If we extend your argument of doing everything possible to be seen we would wear emergency-service style lights on our heads so the driver could have been alerted when she was 500 metres away.

For the record, while I don't wear a hi-viz jacket, I do wear a bright red jacket with reflective trim. My Crud-Catcher is bright red with Scotchlite stickers on it and my back pack has a fluorescent strip and flashing red light on it....

HOWEVER

I think cycling predictably and observing the rules of the road is much more important than being highly visible (during the day). Nearly all the cycling shown in that video was absolutely terrible and I wouldn't be surprised if they were involved in accidents as a result of their ignorance/brazen flouting of the ROTR.

End of the day cyclists repeatedly take short cuts. If they want to be treated seriously as road users than they must comply with the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

End of the day cyclists repeatedly take short cuts. If they want to be treated seriously as road users than they must comply with the rules of the road.

What have the rules of the road got to do with wearing hi-viz vests or lights during the day? Or even helmets for that matter (cycling helmets are a feature of habit rather than law).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

I think we should just re-programme all cyclists via electro therapy to think along the same line as motorists when using the roads.

What, so cyclists will have to speed, not use indicators, fail to understand roundabouts, leave the bike in the middle of the road while we pop into the shop, park in handicapped spaces, stop in yellow grids, stop in bus lanes, stop in pedestrian crossings, etc etc ???

Not saying a lot of cyclist are much better, but a hell of a lot of motorists don't have much regard for the ROTR either.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I think there are things we can do to reduce the risk of accident. Wearing hi-viz is one of these. If I'm cycling at night I'll always be in hi-viz and if during the day something red, blue or another colour that is easily seen.

Lumen, you're right, the cycling in the clip was appauling. They went to make a point, they proved that point by showing clips of a bike under a truck (on the blind-side) and a woman swerving out in front of a bus. In our good sense we know that this type of suicidal cycling is moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

This is exactly the reason I don't take pedestrians seriously as road users. Bloody jaywalkers have what's coming to them.....

Yours,
    Cptn Generalisation.

With respect, this sort of generalisation makes no sense.

On my daily commute I see cars breaking red lights at every single junction. This does not mean that I treat motorists with disrespect.

I wish to be excluded from that comment.

So this report suggests cycling is more dangours than driving.

So just how dangerous in absolute terms? On a chart from Knitting to Lion Taming please.

These hospital admissions...how serious are the injuries?

All I know is with this sort of reporting the ladies will think I'm a real devil-may-care type just for cycling to work. More of this please.

If I'm cycling at night I'll always be in hi-viz and if during the day something red, blue or another colour that is easily seen.

superman1.jpg

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Advertisement

Like people who pass me too close every morning? or the woman 2 weeks ago who broke the lights and drove across a junction towards me? Or the bus driver who tried to edge me into a wall? or like almost every driver who breaks the speed limit? or like the drivers who park in bike lanes? or the drivers who tailgate me on the bike? or like the drivers who drive in bus lanes? or like the drivers who 'nip through' as the lights turn red? or like the drivers who don't use indicators? or like the drivers who don't know which lane to use on a roundabout? or the drivers who get stuck in yellow boxes?

I don't think that would help.

Like people who pass me too close every morning? or the woman 2 weeks ago who broke the lights and drove across a junction towards me? Or the bus driver who tried to edge me into a wall? or like almost every driver who breaks the speed limit? or like the drivers who park in bike lanes? or the drivers who tailgate me on the bike? or like the drivers who drive in bus lanes? or like the drivers who 'nip through' as the lights turn red? or like the drivers who don't use indicators? or like the drivers who don't know which lane to use on a roundabout? or the drivers who get stuck in yellow boxes?

Know what the big difference is. If a motorist is caught parking in a cycling lane he is likely to be penalised. If he runs the red light he is pulled over with possibility of picking up penalty points. What happens if a cyclist does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭TimAllen

Just coz you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not all out to get you!:pac:

Know what the big difference is. If a motorist is caught parking in a cycling lane he is likely to be penalised. If he runs the red light he is pulled over with possibility of picking up penalty points. What happens if a cyclist does it.

They get fined.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I comply with the rules of the road. Now what?

Raam wrote: »
    I comply with the rules of the road. Now what?

Ditto.

This thread is awesome.

So......front lights - flashing or constant?

Edit - anyone want a slice?

jamaica-ginger-cake.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

If a motorist is caught parking in a cycling lane he is likely to be penalised. If he runs the red light he is pulled over with possibility of picking up penalty points. What happens if a cyclist does it.

He gets a summons.

Stark wrote: »
    They get fined.

Or worse.

edit: beaten by Tonto, again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

provided you apply the smallest amount of common sense.

That's my point even if my point is OTT. You can get on a bike and cycle in the busiest roads of one of the busiest cities in the world and have never driven and have no knowledge/understanding of the rules of the road.

Then said person gets knocked off their bike, becomes a statistic and people go on about how 'dangerous' cycling is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Not the first time Bayviewclose has had a go at cyclists, I choose to ignore him.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055602335&highlight=dollymount&page=2

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement