Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N11/N25 - Oilgate to Rosslare Harbour [route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭PoolDude

marno21 wrote: »

Interesting that Cork is on the route map highlighting it as part of the route solutioning. I’d heard the outer routes might be under serious consideration - this might be a further indicator?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

PoolDude wrote: »
    Interesting that Cork is on the route map highlighting it as part of the route solutioning. I’d heard the outer routes might be under serious consideration - this might be a further indicator?
    This project is part of the European Ten-T network, as it will form part of European Routes E-01 (Larne-Rosslare) and E-30 (Cork-Rosslare). That's why both are shown on the map. The map itself is too inaccurately-drawn to read anything else into it.

There's a few people here on Boards that think the Rosslare-Cork stretch of Euroroute E-30 should be carried via N24/N8 instead of N25, but this is a "fan-theory" rather than anything with official evidence to back it up. N24/N8 is a longer route, with more changes of elevation than the current N25, and both of these factors count against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

When this gets done, the urgency of Dungarvan and Midleton/Castlemartyr/Killeagh is going to increase massively.

Not really. Those works certainly need to be done, but this development won't push anyone into doing it. In terms of N25, this scheme will only serve traffic to and from Rosslare port. That's a very small number of vehicles a day, even with the new services coming on line. Here, the wider road will not increase the number of vehicles joining N25, because that's limited by the ferry services.

The traffic issues around Dungarvan and to the west of Killeagh are all about peak-time commuter traffic. Freight drivers (most of the new traffic coming from Rosslare) will avoid these times anyway. I have travelled this road regularly by car, but outside of peak times (and against the normal flow), and I have rarely been slowed by traffic: I have, however, frequently seen multi-mile tailbacks of car commuters on the other side of the road, coming from Youghal into Cork city in the mornings. That's what's creating the problems, not Rosslare traffic : another couple of hundred trucks outside of peak hours won't really be noticed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

PoolDude wrote: »

If you look at the study area for the survey put out to tender it does not cover the area of the outer routes: E, F and G

https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/docmgm...5&DVID=2743659

That suggests to me that they have been discarded at the desktop stage. If not surely they would have included those areas in the survey?

Where did you hear the outer routes were a serious proposition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 lansjd

schmittel wrote: »
    If you look at the study area for the survey put out to tender it does not cover the area of the outer routes: E, F and G

That suggests to me that they have been discarded at the desktop stage. If not surely they would have included those areas in the survey?

Where did you hear the outer routes were a serious proposition?

very interesting. We are worried because we notice a few houses are up for sale in Piercestown - and coinicidentally routes D,E,F,G would pass very close by (D&E actually cut the village in half and would pass just beside the national school).

We were about to close on a house but we are very nervous at the risk of a massive road destroying the area not to mention pollution. We thought we'd know by March and now it will be June...if anybody has any insights on how the selection is leaning please share. We are at our wits end with this decision...the vendors are putting us under pressure to close.

lansjd wrote: »
    very interesting. We are worried because we notice a few houses are up for sale in Piercestown - and coinicidentally routes D,E,F,G would pass very close by (D&E actually cut the village in half and would pass just beside the national school).

We were about to close on a house but we are very nervous at the risk of a massive road destroying the area not to mention pollution. We thought we'd know by March and now it will be June...if anybody has any insights on how the selection is leaning please share. We are at our wits end with this decision...the vendors are putting us under pressure to close.

Have a look at planning applications along the various routes. If you see them getting knocked back on recommendation of the roads authority, reasonably good chance that route still under consideration.

This pattern has been pretty obvious in Wicklow re N11 route selection.

Can any of the knowledgeable posters on here tell me what is the significance of the "MATCH LINE" on route corridor drawings?

Screenshot-2021-05-07-at-07-48-44.png

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Can any of the knowledgeable posters on here tell me what is the significance of the "MATCH LINE" on route corridor drawings?

Screenshot-2021-05-07-at-07-48-44.png

it's where one drawing lines up with the next one AFAIK

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Preferred route to be published week ending 18 July 2021.

• Advertisement

I know last time round on this they published the preferred route corridor but did they get as far as releasing any more detailed drawings of the proposed route of the road within the corridor?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

I know last time round on this they published the preferred route corridor but did they get as far as releasing any more detailed drawings of the proposed route of the road within the corridor?

No, got shelved soon after

Friday is route reveal date apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

vicwatson wrote: »
    Friday is route reveal date apparently
    Yes, according to the People it will be option C
    While officials remain tight-lipped on which of the seven routes has been chosen for the scheme, which carries an estimated cost of €400m, the impression gained from those close to the project is that it's likely to be Route C.

Starting at the southern end of the M11 Gorey to Enniscorthy scheme, Route C would pass east of Oylegate before joining the existing N11 south of the village and following the existing road before crossing the River Slaney west of Ferrycarrig Bridge. From here the option follows the existing N11 and the N25 (along the ring road) before passing southwest of the existing Rosslare Road Roundabout. It then passes Stephenstown and continues east running north of Tagoat and ends at Rosslare Harbour.

Route C was the option which had been chosen the last time a discussion took place on the project over ten years ago, however, with the country recovering from a major recession, funding never materialised and it was put on the back burner. In the intervening years, the law changed in terms of how routes are selected for projects like this..

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fluppen

The official site is down and password protected while under development, so I guess we'll have some sort of update soon. I really hope there's a definite decision this time. This has been hovering over a lot of people for far too long.

Video up of route selected (Option C)
    https://vimeo.com/563776027/2ca483ab3c

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭NedNew2

I have to say that's a very professional, informative and concise video. I'm eager to to see what type of junction will be planned with the N25 at Barntown (this is of course only the route selection phase, not the detailed design phase so I'll just have to wait for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

How long are we talking before we're driving on it do people think?
    10 years? 15?

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Reuben1210

NedNew2 wrote: »
    I have to say that's a very professional, informative and concise video. I'm eager to to see what type of junction will be planned with the N25 at Barntown (this is of course only the route selection phase, not the detailed design phase so I'll just have to wait for that).

Agreed! They should all be done like this from now on.

Very easy for the average member of the public to understand and see the benefits and what exactly is planned.

josip wrote: »
    10 years? 15?

They reckon planning complete in 2023

• Advertisement

NedNew2 wrote: »

Does anyone have any idea of the timescales now to release info of the path of the new road within the preferred corridor?

In some areas it will make a big difference whether it is located more to the east or west within the 300m corridor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

josip wrote: »
    10 years? 15?

I would say a lot quicker than that.
    It depends on how busy Rosslare port gets.

https://www.thejournal.ie/less-landbridge-mroe-action-how-irish-trade-changes-5356884-Mar2021/

Does anyone have any idea of the timescales now to release info of the path of the new road within the preferred corridor?

In some areas it will make a big difference whether it is located more to the east or west within the 300m corridor.

Anything here? https://oilgate2rosslareharbour.ie/faq/

vicwatson wrote: »

Not much!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Is it just a new two lane road or is it motorway or dual carriageway or what is it?

Houses in the way of the road are they bought and knocked or what's the story?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

They haven't decided yet, that'll likely come next.

My wild guess: motorway past Oilgate and onwards to the start of the Wexford bypass. 2+2 from there as it would be far cheaper to have roundabouts than big junction upgrades.

However the Brexit Effect for Rosslare Port may change things - might see more motorway.

Personally I think they should just run motorway right to the boats, but that would be enormous overkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭I told ya

My wild guess: motorway past Oilgate and onwards to the start of the Wexford bypass. 2+2 from there as it would be far cheaper to have roundabouts than big junction upgrades.

However the Brexit Effect for Rosslare Port may change things - might see more motorway.

Personally I think they should just run motorway right to the boats, but that would be enormous overkill.

I suggested that a while back and got lashed out of it - wanting 8 lane motorways and wanting motorways all over the country:D Incominggggggggggg.....

Futureproofing? That would be far too intelligent.

Is it just a new two lane road or is it motorway or dual carriageway or what is it?

Houses in the way of the road are they bought and knocked or what's the story?

Cheers
    Suspect it'll be motorway to a new interchange close to the current Barntown Roundabout (N11/N25 junction). Then a mixture of retrofit and new build 2+2 to Rosslare.
    By the way they ruled out a sub option of a by pass of Barntown, which would have meant a new interchange for the N25 closer to Ferrycarrig

• Advertisement

You don’t need a motorway to the port. There is not enough traffic to justify it, even if the number of ferry sailings increases tenfold.

2+2 to the port is already overkill, and would leave some extra budget to be spent elsewhere in the road network, where it’s needed.

Advertisement