Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re: Wiil these Alloys damage my car?

Options
  • 21-11-2005 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    I did a part exchange with my brother some time back, his 93 mk3 golf for my primera slx.
    Its a great car and i love golfs but the only thing that bugs me is the alloys that came with it, they look the part and what have you but i think they may in time damage the car plus im not into alloys there 16'' with the widest tyers i've seen on a golf, there 195/45 R16 80V in size.
    Also what would they be worth as im gona replace them with normal wheels asap, they also have four pretty new Semperip Direction Sport tyers.
    Heres a pic of themAttachment not found.Attachment not found.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you do want to sell them then you should advertise them on buy n sell. You should be able to get a few hundred euro for them as long as there is no damage to them.

You could also advertise them on the "For Sale" section of this site.

You may be able to pick up ordinary steel wheels in a scrap yard, just make sure that they are not damaged either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

personal choice to swap em out for originals alright, but I cannot come up with one reason why they would 'damage the car' providing they are the correct fitment for the car and the tyres are also matched to the wheel size (which they are) and fit ok into the arches (which it seems they do).

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Will do on the buy and sell and for sale thread, but will they in the long run do any real damage to the steering? I've read that they can knock the balance off and other things, id like to keep them as its a sporty looking mk3 and the car might look a little stupid with out them perhaps as the wheel arch is quiet big
    Ps. Im newish to cars so if the questions seem a little simple pls bear with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I don't think they'll damage the car or steering unless they're fouling the wheel arch on full lock.

195/45s will ruin the ride and handling balance of the car, though, giving you a rough ride and a surplus of grip over grunt with much less progressive break-away at a marginally higher limit.

Is the car a GTi?

No, its a straight 1.4, but a very lively 1.4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Ps. Im newish to cars so if the questions seem a little simple pls bear with me!
    we all started somewhere, some on this very forum... if questions likes yours were not posted, this forum and many others would not exist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

No, its a straight 1.4, but a very lively 1.4
    Is it a standard engine, or is the engine modded? Ive never heard the 1.4Golf being described as lively. Dead is usually the description of them. 74horses in a very heavy car makesit in standard form, 1 of the slowest 1.4`s around.

I'm glad you asked that, maybe from the pics such as they are you can tell me a little about her, to be very honest i don't know, that said i've seen many a 1.4 golf engine and they aint much to look at to say the least but this engine seems to take up more of the car than lets say a golf of her age,
    Also theres only 58500 on her which is genuine as i know the car a long time,
    my brother had it since 96 in jersey and did little driving and looked after it very well, Anyways maybe you can tell me a little about the engine cos anything i ask him he doesn't know
    Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

These wheel won't do any long term damage to the car. From the pics it is on standard shocks and springs and although the 45 series profile tyres are a little low and inclined to make the ride a bit choppy they aren't particularly wide. If the car handles ok and doesn't tramline (follow or change direction on white lines etc) then I'd leave them alone. You might get €350 for the set in the B&S, neither wheels or tyres are particularly high spec. The only danger is if you kerb a wheel while parking or hit a pothole, the replacment cost of a wheel and tyre could be high.

In answer to your question though, no they can't do any harm to the car.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As said, you won't do any damage apart from to your wallet if you burst a tyre in a pothole. If you drive on good roads most of the time, keep them

Nuttzy wrote:
    Ive never heard the 1.4Golf being described as lively. Dead is usually the description of them. 74horses in a very heavy car

the 1.4 mark III actually has 60 bhp :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭ro1798

i have a 95 golf 1.4 and i have 17's on it the tyre was 205/40/17 and standard shocks and springs

Advertisement