Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital/Fine Art

Options
  • 13-02-2006 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭

To what extend would you consider digitalisation to be fine art?

For example, alot of artists working in digital art, whether it be digital images, virtual art etc to be doing Fine Art, would you agree with that, or consider it to be a completly seperate art form?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

Well digital art can be fine art but everything called "digital art" is not necessarily fine art. It depends on the artist's intention.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

As long as it is created by a human, I don't see much difference between the definitions; other than the handicap associated with not being as physical with your materials/canvas - the discipline is slightly different in that you can focus more on precision than expression.
    I think the major reasons for dispute is snobbery, and the fact that most of what passes for digital art is utter ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

you can have great fun though editing pictures/photos etc via adobe photoshop, it's amazing what they can do to photos, eg get rid of wrinkles etc by despeckling etc.
    i saw some digital works in both the Douglas hyde gallery in TCD and in the gallery beside the bank of ireland. altering colours can go along way to changing digital images and their expression. for example black and white photos can look very atmospheric compared to photos using full colour.

i actually love graphic design when i think about it :)

Right. This is fast driving me nuts. Where does "(fine) art" start and finish.
    What you describe, Snorlax, is what I would class simply as "digital photography".. It's more the modification or 'touching up' of an existing object. Is that fine art?

And,aye,graphic design is a key interest for me as I can't draw very well..or at all.. :D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

There is a really two subjects being discussed here
    1. fixing photos is not fine art i think as you are just improving quality, its still the same image the camera produced, but the photo itself could be art in terms of composition, subject, lighting etc.
    2. Once a photo is changed or manipulated (using photoshop for e.g) by adding or changing something that was not in the original like colours, drawings, layers it becomes digital art.

I recently did work where i scanned some of my drawings onto my pc and changed them reprinted them and added further drawings to the print. In my mind this is also digital art. Really its just using modern tech' as a new medium, or technique of exploring a subject.
    What do ye think?

artieanna

• Advertisement

@artieanna:
    That's what I'm thinking...but then... it all gets blurred...

Do you have any scanned works that you'd care to share? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Fajitas! wrote:
    To what extend would you consider digitalisation to be fine art?

For example, alot of artists working in digital art, whether it be digital images, virtual art etc to be doing Fine Art, would you agree with that, or consider it to be a completly seperate art form?

You'd have to be more specific. Some art isn't fine are and some is. Depends on the context and the artists rationale. I think most of it is meant to wreck your head and make think about it. If it achieves that much its art of some form or another. I don't think you should think too hard about it.

Incidentally check out this site. http://forums.cgsociety.org/index.php?s=

i have attached one of my pieces here.. hope ye can view it.. my first time putting picture on web... if it don't work well i tried and maybe ye can advise me how

yessssss it worked what the hell heres another
    other any feedback would be appreciated... project is on subject moss and i exploring looking at it in different ways
    Attachment not found.

Advertisement