Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

South Park 10x04

• 14-04-2006 2:58am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Well what did all of ye think of the sequel. It seems that Comedy Central pussyed out in the end :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

it's being discussed in the other thread, why i don't know but there ya go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Hypocrisy overload.

F*ckin Comedy Central can suck it as far as Im concerned. They've done the WORST stuff imaginable on that show and they wont show a picture of mohamed? They show Jesus defecating on people, Cartman trying to exterminate the Jews and Christopher Reeves breaking babies' necks to eat their spinal cords...

Every group imaginable is fair game (and in the worst possible way) - except the muslims???

Hypocrisy overload.

F*ckin Comedy Central can suck it as far as Im concerned. They've done the WORST stuff imaginable on that show and they wont show a picture of mohamed? They show Jesus defecating on people, Cartman trying to exterminate the Jews and Christopher Reeves breaking babies' necks to eat their spinal cords...

Every group imaginable is fair game (and in the worst possible way) - except the muslims???

i think you miss the point...

they didn't have to show Muhammad, they did it back in season 5 and not a single word was said (check out the david blaine episode Muhammad was a super best friend)).

Cremo I didn't miss the point. You did and so did Comedy Central when they censored the show.

The show was about freedom of speech and cowardice and it was blatantly censored because of the Mohammed moment.

Cremo I didn't miss the point. You did and so did Comedy Central when they censored the show.

The show was about freedom of speech and cowardice and it was blatantly censored because of the Mohammed moment.

ahhh just after seeing the article in the other thread, i stand corrected.

i'm actually kind of glad though they did censor it cause i don't want a jihad put on matt and trey, as that would mean no more south park and i couldn't live with that. :p

• Advertisement

I have to say - the whole censoring got me really riled up - but part of being a Christian is that you're supposed to offer the other side of your face if someone strikes.

So I'm gonna chill instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

It's all well and good to shout about free speech, but the president of Comedy Central has to think about the security of his staff who may have not signed up to attack the muslim faith (which is what they did, intentional or otherwise)..

he's probably aware that a large contingient of the muslim community do not respect your freedom of speech and will be outraged at a depiction of mohammed (not to mention on such a show, and with jesus, who they also see as a prophet), and knows they would riot/attack embasseys etc etc and people would be hurt/killed

Since the show and it's creator are so high profile such a direct insult to their faith is not going to go unnoticed.. and some muslims will see it their duty to attempt to kill Matt/Trey and Co...

I really like the show, and would've loved to have seen that ep go uncensored,
    but the practical reality of it is, the totally OTT reactions to the danish cartoons have killed freedom of speech in mainstream media as far as mohammed is concerned.. imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,553 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There was an uncut version of the show released on the web, with the mohammed image intact. I wonder if it is doctored, or if it really is the uncut version of the original?

I'm thinking the latter - it looked very authentic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

TmB wrote:
    There was an uncut version of the show released on the web, with the mohammed image intact. I wonder if it is doctored, or if it really is the uncut version of the original?

I'm thinking the latter - it looked very authentic.

Screenshots appreciated? Or a link. My name at gmail. Anyway, saw the episode, fecking hysterical. Loved the random potshots at The Simpson's too. So so so clever and it just has this great relevant message too, as all the great episodes do. Peabody award well deserved - this show is bloody on fire these days.

Sure, I'll put up a screenshot later when I get home.
    (I'll leave it to the mods discretion whether it should stay up or not).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

Luke says, "Comedy Central already aired an image of Mohammed. This clip from an old South Park episode (#69), originally aired July 4, 2001, depicts the prophet Mohammed as a member of the 'Super Best Friends.' Times change? Or is the "refusal" of Comedy Central this time just part of the episode?"

south park is somewhat making me change my opinion on the cartoons, and freespeech

Hmm... how do you do a screencap of Media Player? The print screen is just showing a black box in the MP window.

OK, guys, here it is.

Attachment not found.

And here...

Attachment not found.

If mods want to remove these pics, then please do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Looks fake to me.

Soneone just took Mohamed image from the Super Best Friends episode and stuck it in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

That's the joke. The whole episode is about censoring the image of Muhammed, then they do it in the episode. It's mostly a dig at Comedy Central because they pulled the Scientology episode (well, any reruns of it anyway), after supposed legal threats from Tom Cruise and the COS (Church Of Scientology).

Oh yeah... and mohamed is actually in the show every week this season. They've sneaked him into the opening credits in the final shot with all the characters in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Just read the other thread too, the whole thing is really a dig at Comedy Central then, those bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭MrPinK

the president of Comedy Central has to think about the security of his staff who may have not signed up to attack the muslim faith (which is what they did, intentional or otherwise)
    Showing Muhammad handing Peter Griffen a football helmet is not an attack on the muslim faith.
    he's probably aware that a large contingient of the muslim community do not respect your freedom of speech and will be outraged at a depiction of mohammed (not to mention on such a show, and with jesus, who they also see as a prophet), and knows they would riot/attack embasseys etc etc and people would be hurt/killed
    The Danish cartoons depicted Muhammad as a terrorist, which is what really got people pissed. As mentioned before, Muhammad had previously appeared in South Park and no one batted an eyelid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭ChityWest

MrPinK wrote:
    Showing Muhammad handing Peter Griffen a football helmet is not an attack on the muslim faith.

The Danish cartoons depicted Muhammad as a terrorist, which is what really got people pissed. As mentioned before, Muhammad had previously appeared in South Park and no one batted an eyelid.

Still cant get my head around the idea that one group of people think that they can declare a global rule that you cant draw a picture if it looks like this (picture of mohammed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Richard W

I thought the whole "censoring" thing was a joke. I'm pretty sure they didn't actually censor it like. Just a dig at Comedy Central. I thought it was funnier "censored". Anyway, I reckon they'd do a bettor job of actually censoring it were they to not want the image on.

Richard W wrote:
    I thought the whole "censoring" thing was a joke. I'm pretty sure they didn't actually censor it like. Just a dig at Comedy Central. I thought it was funnier "censored". Anyway, I reckon they'd do a bettor job of actually censoring it were they to not want the image on.
    Trey and Matt were given a choice to censor it themselves or let the studio do it. They did it themselves so they could put up the message getting a dig at Comedy Central.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭WellyJ

Guys, it was the manatees' choice to censor the image....

Got to respect their decision....

Advertisement