Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Saab 9 5;

Options
  • 16-04-2006 10:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the new Saab 9 5? I think its hideous, it looks like its got a bull bar fitted to the front of it. I saw one today in the flesh. I think they've made a big mistake this time with the design. I'd be interested to hear what others think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You mean that strange chrome strip which wrapes around? Yep I've seen that and its the work of a blind man who clearly is a brilliant confidence trickster and somehow got on the design team!

15244_1126619534874.jpg

frankfurt-05-36.JPG

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

I was keeping quiet about it in case it was a 'Kings New Clothes' thing and I was the only person who thought it was hideous. I have never seen an update to a car which made it look so much like something off barryboys.co.uk..... You would want to have no sense of style to want to drive one of these.

'cptr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The decline in Saabs design ethos is pretty dreadfull really.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes, GM's objective to kill SAAB as an serious alternative to more reputible brands is complete now with the terrible facelifted 9-5. That and the Opel Vectra clone that is the 9-3 have turned SAAB into just another branch on the GM corporate tree similar to Chevrolet/Daewoo.

I saw a new 9-5 the other day and the rear of new 9-5 is as horrible as the front. The rear light cluster of the 9-5 reminded me of the 1999 facelifted Nissan Primera. See attached: Attachment not found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Well they're Opel's now, what do you expect. :)
    Looks like Chris Bangle had a cut off designing the back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

On first seeing this I had the bizarre thought that it looks like Edgar Davids' (dutch footballer's) eyewear :)
    davids_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,420 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes, GM's objective to kill SAAB as an serious alternative to more reputible brands is complete now with the terrible facelifted 9-5. That and the Opel Vectra clone that is the 9-3

Sad but true :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes, GM's objective to kill SAAB as an serious alternative to more reputible brands is complete now with the terrible facelifted 9-5. That and the Opel Vectra clone that is the 9-3 have turned SAAB into just another branch on the GM corporate tree similar to Chevrolet/Daewoo.

While I agree that GM has not been kind to Saab, to say that the Vectra and the 9-3, are the same is pushing it. Have you compared driving both of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Borzoi wrote:
    While I agree that GM has not been kind to Saab, to say that the Vectra and the 9-3, are the same is pushing it. Have you compared driving both of them?

Opel Vectra and Saab 9-3 both share the same platform, chassis and some engines. No I have not driven the Saab 9-3 but my boss has a 2004 Saab 9-3 and hates it. He doesn't rate it, says it is terrible to drive and he has had a few Saabs before that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

junkyard wrote:
    Has anyone seen the new Saab 9 5? I think its hideous, it looks like its got a bull bar fitted to the front of it. I saw one today in the flesh. I think they've made a big mistake this time with the design. I'd be interested to hear what others think.
    It's terrible alright - what where they thinking....

Maybe it's a marketing thing - too mechanically inept to pimp your own ride - try our pre-gimped Saab! :D

Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

Got a glance of one of these in the Blanch SC and it was pretty brutal looking.

Although I think the current Saab 9-3 Is beautiful looking from the outside. Not sure what they are like as a car over all though.

Hj

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Yes, it is terrible.

When I first saw one I presumed some idiot had bought some crappy chrome trimming from Halfords and stuck it on their 9-5, but then they started popping up all over the place, yuck.

It will be like that silly 'moustache' they put on the MKII Laguna, it won't last long. Likewise, the chrome crap on the front of the passat.

Advertisement