Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fastest Irish Speeding Offence??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

he's just telling his story. If everyone keeps jumping on people who post here about the problems on Irish roads nobody will continue to post for fear of people shaking their heads at them.

We all know about the problems on Irish roads etc can we just stay on topic about how fast he was caught speeding :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

from what some people are saying it sounds like people should drive slow to allow the drunk drivers get on there drunken way......wtf?

There should be NO drunk drivers on the roads, if the garda done there job and got random breath test goin then road deaths could be significantly cut.

yes most fatal accidents occur between 12am and 6am, mostly due to drunk drivers and dangerous overtaking and a lack of enforcment at these times, lets face it the goverment isn't going to make money checking the speeds of the few cars that go by at this time.

I also agree with Alun the amount of times I've seen people just pull across the lanes in the m50 and nearly cause an accident is unbelievable.

a much better driver education scheme is needed here, i for would pay to take it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

was coming back from dun laghoire, flew by them at 130mph, they caught up with me because of the toll bridge, then i noticed thye were follwing me . I took the castleknock exit.

Garda: "what speed where u going?"
    me:"dont know exactly?"
    garda:"must have been about 200kmh!"
    me:"yes about that officer?"
    garda:"why where u driving so fast?"
    me:"was in a hurry to get get home!"
    garda:"thats no reason to put ur life and other peoples lifes in danger"
    me:"I apologise for that , i know it is stupid."
    garda:"can i see ur licnece ?"
    garda:"your lucky we didnt have a record of the speed or else we would be taking ur car and licence"
    garda:"slow down and drive carfeully for gods sake"
    me: "thanks bye"

I smell bullsh*t in the air.

It's assholes like you that contribute to crashes and in turn raise everyone elses insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Please don't turn this thread into a silly Gay Byrne worshipping holier than thou place.

130mph *probably* is pushing it in Ireland considering the general level of competence of drivers and standard of the roads. Two lads seem to have been before the DC in mullingar today for doing 120mph, one of them had a video of the race in the car(I presume thats what it was). What an eejet.

It is hard to drive at the limit alright on empty motorways, or worse, motorway standard dual carriageways in cork where we must do 100k. I'd say most accidents caused at night have a lot do with people being tired and their reactions slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

C_Breeze wrote:
    I got stopped doin 130mph on the m50 at 1:30am, flew buy an undercover vectra.

Flew by them just under the red cow roundabout, they stopped me at castlecknock roundabout!
    Well done them, you IDIOT! You could have killed someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I was caught doing 71mph in a 30mph zone.
    maidhc wrote:
    130mph *probably* is pushing it in Ireland considering the general level of competence of drivers and standard of the roads.
    Doing 100% over the posted limit is dangerous for you and for others.

Instead of overtaking someone at a modest rate, you are overtaking them, in these cases at 41-60mph. Now if someone pulls out of a side road and someone else moves into the overtaking lane .... :eek:

Some fool got stopped for doing, I think, 145km/h (limit 100km/h) in Galway recently. 20 minutes later, down the road, he is again caught doing 145km/h.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Gardai caught somebody driving at 140 mph on the N15 between Donegal Town and Ballyshannon about three years ago. I can't find the details at the moment but I will keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely if a Garda car is doing, say, 110kmph, and a car passes them doing 200kmph. (if you can imagine standing by the side of the road and watching a car doing 90kmph whizz past) they could prosecute the driver without using a speed gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

colm_mcm wrote:
    surely if a Garda car is doing, say, 110kmph, and a car passes them doing 200kmph. (if you can imagine standing by the side of the road and watching a car doing 90kmph whizz past) they could prosecute the driver without using a speed gun?

no evidence to prove that the car was actually breaking the speed limit, if the garda car was fitted with a internal camera that records the speed of the garda car and takes a picture then a prosecution could take place.

Does anyone know if ANY garda traffic corp cars are fitted with these type of cameras?

draffodx wrote:
    no evidence to prove that the car was actually breaking the speed limit, if the garda car was fitted with a internal camera that records the speed of the garda car and takes a picture then a prosecution could take place.
    They could have just done him for dangerous driving.
    Does anyone know if ANY garda traffic corp cars are fitted with these type of cameras?
    Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If the Garda was doing 110kmph, and the car sped past at nearly twice that speed, would the Garda have a slight suspicion that the person was breaking the law. and surely they could arrest someone on the spot for dangerous driving.

I got caught doing 95 in a 60 when I was younger, and the Garda told me I was lucky I wasn't doing any more as I could've lost my license. (might have been trying to scare me!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Mayshine wrote:
    Just out of curiousity, how do the germans deal with wandering badgers. Its just that I never have read much about badger-autobahn incidents.

Just wondering..

Believe it or not, I have the answer for you. In Germany, and a lot of other countries, they have tunnels going under their motorways at regular intervals to allow animals to pass under, rather than across the motorways! Apparently it has been very successful.

http://www.badgerland.co.uk/help/badgers/precautionary/badger_tunnels.html

How is the badger clever enough to use the tunnel?

Similar things are done here, its just difficult to force them skanger foxes in Tallaght to use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭smarty

Skyuser wrote:

I think they put up big barriers on the side of the road to try to stop them from getting on to the road.

They also have infrared cameras in the tunnels which show the numbers of animals that use the tunnels and apparently lots of animals use them!

The problem with the tunnels in Ireland is that the government want to install a toll for the animals to cross...

Lol. Did ya hear Bertie blackmailing the country, saying if we re-elect him, he'll take away the toll barrier things.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

smarty wrote:
    The problem with the tunnels in Ireland is that the government want to install a toll for the animals to cross...
    LMAO :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Skyuser wrote:

They have these signs up beside the tunnel entrance so that the badger knows to use the it to get across the road...

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Alun wrote:
    To be honest the biggest danger to anyone driving at those kind of speeds on Irish roads is likely to be other road users. I've regularly driven for extended periods at speeds of 200 km/h, and higher, in Germany (I lived there for years) and felt quite safe, but there's no way on earth I'd ever try it here, not because it's inherently unsafe (which it clearly isn't, otherwise Germany would be top of the accident statistics), but because of all the other 'drivers' on the road who think their rear-view mirror is just for adjusting their hair in. It's dangerous enough here at the legal limit, let alone anything higher.

Couldn't possibly agree more! My car is designed to cruise motorways at 200-250km/h comfortably and relatively safely. To be frank, I feel much safer doing 160km/h in a Fiat Punto on a motorway on the continent than doing 120km/h on an equally not very busy motorway in Ireland in my V8 7-series :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Most of my driving is around my own town where I strictly adhere to the speed limits. I would nearly die of guilt if I ran over some childs beloved pet dog never mind an actual child. (Cats are another matter :D Those things have a death wish!)

Dual Carriageways are a slightly different matter. I might on occasion break the limit when overtaking or if everyone seems to be cruising at 75mph then thats the speed I will do while maintaining proper spacing. Yeah its 15 over the limit but in a scenario like that 80 is really no more dangerous than 60 or should I say 60 is as dangerous as 80. This is on a road I know well. if I don't know the road well then I will stick to the limits as strictly as I do about town.

As for the m50. I only drove it during the busier daytime till the other night and only from the m11 to Dundrum and from my limited experience it is very easy to brake the speed limits on the m50 if traffic allows and by a significant margin at that. Especially in a TDI I would imagine going on my own experience the other dusk/night. I accelerated to overtake a few cars in the over-taking lane which I thought were way under the limit. I feel like I am tootling along on or about the limit. I glance at the speedo to check my speed and I was doing an indicated 110mph!! (Probably over reading by 7 or 8%) Glanced at the rev counter and it was 2400-2500 rpm in sixth. (Remapped 2.0tdi). Diesels, while being such refined motorway cruisers with their power low down in the revs can also get you in trouble for the same reasons! I had already learned soon after I got the car and had it on the dualer that I would have to get used to this refined relative quietness at speed compared to my old Vag 1.6 whos petrol engine was roaring at dualer speeds. Not having taken it much higher than those speeds I assumed the noise would really start kicking in soon after. Not so. As I said 110 and the revs were still only 2500 in sixth and the engine could barely be heard over the tyre noise. Another factor in my underestimation of my speed is the non landscaped nature of the newer southern end of the m50, ie no bushes and hedges flying past just featureless banks of soil out to the left of the periphery of my vision. Honestly 110 felt like 60 or 70. I didn't feel like I was going too fast for the road and felt quite safe.

Needless to say, when I realised what speed I was doing I slowed back down to the limit and continued my journey at more sane speeds whether the higher speeds felt safe or not.

I was a bit bold on the way back home later that night though:o
    Southbound was totally empty. Could not see anything in front or behind full stop. I had miles of m50 to myself so I put the foot down and accelerated up to 135 before I bottled it. (ie outside the limit for about 20 seconds between accelerating and decelerating) It was amazing how an extra 25mph could make such a difference. While 110 felt safe and felt like 70, 135 was a whole other ballgame. Sure the car was still solid as a rock at this speed but jesus it felt like I was going twice as fast as 110. It really felt too fast. I will never ever do that again. Its out of my system. Maybe I don't enjoy the adrenaline that people who regularily break the limit to this extent get a kick from. Adrenaline junkie I am not! :D I'll get "my thrills" of driving a reasonably powerful car from quickly accelerating upto the limit (but not too much above) when safe to do so when on the motorway from now on.

So while I am not going to condemn other posters as being the scum of the earth for doing such high speeds assuming they are only doing it on an empty motorway when safe to do, you've gotta admit lads, you've got a bit of the adrenaline speedfreak junkie in you. Mad Barstewards! Jesus, if I had have seen any car ahead, never mind a garda car I would have slowed right down immediatly.

[edit]Christ, didn't realise I'd posted that much :D

• Advertisement

Zzzzzzzzzzzzz this post is what I needed to get asleep, thanks.

Calibos wrote:
    Dual Carriageways are a slightly different matter. I might on occasion break the limit when overtaking or if everyone seems to be cruising at 75mph then thats the speed I will do while maintaining proper spacing. Yeah its 15 over the limit but in a scenario like that 80 is really no more dangerous than 60 or should I say 60 is as dangerous as 80.
    At 80, you have 78% more collision energy than 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Don't blame ye SKyuser, nearly fell asleep re-reading it myself just now! :D My posts are usually short and sweet during the day but for some reason I often end up typing and typing in the early hours.
    Victor wrote:
    At 80, you have 78% more collision energy than 60.

Now I didn't know that! Why isn't that part of the safety campaigns. That and the Smart car crash test vid I just saw in a thread. Enough of this special effect slow motion crap or the full speed ncap warehouse rocket sled clips. The vid was from 5th gear with Tiff Neadle. They used a remote controlled smart car on a closed off bit of wide A road somewhere. Crashed the car at 70mph head on into some central median concrete barriers laid across the road. So much more shocking watching that at normal playback speed than the slo mo fake real crash ads or the full speed ncap ads but in an artificial indoor setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭bspoke

The official Irish land speed record is 176mph set in 1990 by Martin Birrane in a race car on the M50 before it was opened. Im guessing if anyone was ever prosecuted for driving in excess of this speed there wolud be a record of it and Mr Birrane' s speed would no longer be the top speed in Ireland.

So pretty much the fastest anyone has ever been done for speeding in this country is sub 176mph.

Others have driven faster they just have not been caught!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

afaik 153mph was achieved in a bmw m5 a few months back it was going over to another garage for a testdrive . this was on the tullamore - birr road .

the garage dose not know who was driving the car at that time as they had no paperwork for it

and gk said 24x mph was the speed achieved in one of them mad cars in texas not in the uk

• Registered Users Posts: 32 bringoutthegimp

Victor wrote:
    Doing 100% over the posted limit is dangerous for you and for others.

I agree.. though I was on a bike , 0-60 and back again in 6 seconds like.

As I said in my post, getting off with a fine changed my attitude, that was my let off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

bspoke wrote:
    The official Irish land speed record is 176mph set in 1990 by Martin Birrane in a race car on the M50 before it was opened. Im guessing if anyone was ever prosecuted for driving in excess of this speed there wolud be a record of it and Mr Birrane' s speed would no longer be the top speed in Ireland.

So pretty much the fastest anyone has ever been done for speeding in this country is sub 176mph.

Others have driven faster they just have not been caught!
    Land speed records are a wholly different beast to a 'spot' high speed.

AFAIK, land speed record attempts are standardised to something like this:
    the average speed over a measured distance (kilometer?), two runs in opposite directions on the same course, inside a set time frame (one hour?).
    It's something along those lines anyway.

Anyhow, even if someone did mange to get a few points for doing 300mph on the M50, it wouldn't count as an official 'land speed record.'

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Calibos wrote:
    I was a bit bold on the way back home later that night though:o
    Southbound was totally empty. Could not see anything in front or behind full stop. I had miles of m50 to myself so I put the foot down and accelerated up to 135 before I bottled it. (ie outside the limit for about 20 seconds between accelerating and decelerating) It was amazing how an extra 25mph could make such a difference. While 110 felt safe and felt like 70, 135 was a whole other ballgame. Sure the car was still solid as a rock at this speed but jesus it felt like I was going twice as fast as 110. It really felt too fast. I will never ever do that again. Its out of my system. Maybe I don't enjoy the adrenaline that people who regularily break the limit to this extent get a kick from. Adrenaline junkie I am not! :D I'll get "my thrills" of driving a reasonably powerful car from quickly accelerating upto the limit (but not too much above) when safe to do so when on the motorway from now on.

So while I am not going to condemn other posters as being the scum of the earth for doing such high speeds assuming they are only doing it on an empty motorway when safe to do, you've gotta admit lads, you've got a bit of the adrenaline speedfreak junkie in you. Mad Barstewards! Jesus, if I had have seen any car ahead, never mind a garda car I would have slowed right down immediatly.
    I've put the foot down a couple of times on the M1 in a similar situation, last time being around Christmas at 2 in the morning. The most my car will do is around 110mph, and it would be with no other cars around. There is no doubt I got a big adrenlin rush from it, and my eyes were peeled back scanning the road ahead, as everything comes so much faster.

Of course after the fact I'd be paranoid that someone somewhere clocked me and the coppers would be on the way, but thats just the adrenlin wearing off i reckon.

If anybody wants to hound and condemn me go ahead, just telling it like it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

delly wrote:
    I've put the foot down a couple of times on the M1 in a similar situation, last time being around Christmas at 2 in the morning. The most my car will do is around 110mph, and it would be with no other cars around. There is no doubt I got a big adrenlin rush from it, and my eyes were peeled back scanning the road ahead, as everything comes so much faster.

Of course after the fact I'd be paranoid that someone somewhere clocked me and the coppers would be on the way, but thats just the adrenlin wearing off i reckon.

If anybody wants to hound and condemn me go ahead, just telling it like it is.

110mph on an empty M1 at 2am !!?!?!?:eek: scum of the roads!!!!!!!!!..how dare you!

• Advertisement

C_Breeze wrote:
    110mph on an empty M1 at 2am !!?!?!?:eek: scum of the roads!!!!!!!!!..how dare you!
    lol, yeah i know its not that bad, but I've only ever had 1.4L company cars. I fear the day when I move up the ranks ;).

Advertisement