Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

not yet, i've been really busy recently. I'll take a look at it over the next few days

give this one a try keano:

http://cabaal.org/cabbage/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.4.jar

i changed the way the threads are done a bit and hopefully it'll fix the problem but there are a few other things i could try if it doesn't work

you'll notice two other things different about the program.

the first is an option "show copy/pasteable". i find that on my e65 when i try to copy and paste from the text box the options aren't there for some reason so that option opens up a new window with the text in a different kind of text box that doesn't have that problem but isn't suitable as a permanent replacement.
    i've only ever seen the problem on nokia symbian phones so most peope will never use the option

the second is a "send to many" option where you can enter phone book contacts, cabbage contacts or just type a number in and it'll send the text to all of them

edit:the way i've done send to many at the moment it would cost money to send each text but i just thought of a way to send them all for the price of 1. i'll change that over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Great update, Sam! On my e51, i can't go from write message screen to enter number screen with the middle button on the d pad. This is possible on AFT.

Would it be possible to have it implemented in Cabbage?

It is much easier to use the middle key than going to the left menu, choose ok and then arrive at the number prompt.

Thanks for your efforts.

Edit. The same would be nice to go from number screen to actually sending the message.

I have found a bug when running this version on e51. After entering a number, and choosing Send, the program does not send, it does not attempt to connect to the network. Please have a look at this.

flodis79 wrote: »
    Great update, Sam! On my e51, i can't go from write message screen to enter number screen with the middle button on the d pad. This is possible on AFT.

Would it be possible to have it implemented in Cabbage?

It is much easier to use the middle key than going to the left menu, choose ok and then arrive at the number prompt.
    i see what you mean but the way he's done it isn't immediately apparent. I'll look into it
    I have found a bug when running this version on e51. After entering a number, and choosing Send, the program does not send, it does not attempt to connect to the network. Please have a look at this.
    now that's a serious bug :D i was concentrating so much on getting the send to many part to work i forgot to make sure the normal sending was working. You'll be happy to know that works fine :P

no one download this one until i get that fixed. Except for keano, you download it and try the send to many option to see if it still has the same problem

Send to many connects to network and sends, although i haven't received anything yet. Might be on the o2 side.

Update. Apparently it only sends when + and country code is prefixed. It deducts credit when sending as 08x, but nothing is delivered. Worth looking into!

And also, the recent numbers sent to in send many option are deleted when closing the app. It would be practical to retain that info, same as in the usual sending screen.

• Advertisement

if it reported back a number of messages left then the problem is on o2's side

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    if it reported back a number of messages left then the problem is on o2's side

It reports back number both when sending with +353xx and 08xx but only delivers with the former.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Sam

Thanks for the work you have put it. It worked for the first message but after that it has not worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Sam

Thanks for the work you have put it. It worked for the first message but after that it has not worked.

Yeah my friend is having the same problem with his 6120, worked the first few times and now it just gives 'Unexpected error' every time he tries to start the program?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 marcusdav

Hi Sam,

I do apologise if you have already answered a similar question to this, there are so many posts in this thread and i did read many.

I have a Sony Ericsson T650i and have just installed AFT. The istallation went fine but i cant send any messages. I get 'There was a problem sending your message' after a couple of seconds.

I am on the o2 network and i use the internet a lot on my telephone so am not sure that it is a problem with my connection settings.

I think this app is great and have been wanting a way to send webtexts from my phone for a long time.

I would appreciate any help you could offer in getting this up and running for me.

Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    i find that on my e65 when i try to copy and paste from the text box the options aren't there for some reason so that option opens up a new window with the text in a different kind of text box that doesn't have that problem but isn't suitable as a permanent replacement.
    i've only ever seen the problem on nokia symbian phones so most peope will never use the option

I have seen this issue (bug?) also in j2me on symbian 9.1 on N73. I found that for each form you create, have a separate class for it. i.e dont define more than 1 form in a single class. This should resolve the problem. It did you me anyway.. this issue was getting on my nerves.

hey lads, sorry i wasn't replying all weekend, i was away. anyway,
    It reports back number both when sending with +353xx and 08xx but only delivers with the former.

that's confusing me because +353 and 08 both work fine for me with an o2 login. you are on o2 right? are you still having the problem?

is anyone else having that problem?
    Sam

in what way did it not work? is it back to the old problem of sending but getting stuck on the screen where you enter the numbers or is it not sending too?

if you reinstall it does it work again once?
    Yeah my friend is having the same problem with his 6120, worked the first few times and now it just gives 'Unexpected error' every time he tries to start the program?

unexpected error comes from the java virtual machine. sounds to me like the program has got corrupted. tell him to try uninstalling it to get rid of all traces of the program and the installing it again. make sure he doesn't just reinstall it over the corrupted version
    marcusdav wrote: »
    Hi Sam,

I do apologise if you have already answered a similar question to this, there are so many posts in this thread and i did read many.

I have a Sony Ericsson T650i and have just installed AFT. The istallation went fine but i cant send any messages. I get 'There was a problem sending your message' after a couple of seconds.

I am on the o2 network and i use the internet a lot on my telephone so am not sure that it is a problem with my connection settings.

I think this app is great and have been wanting a way to send webtexts from my phone for a long time.

I would appreciate any help you could offer in getting this up and running for me.

Cheers.
    hi marcus, i didn't write aft, the program i wrote is called Cabbage. while we're on the subject, i'd appreciate it if people could put cabbage related questions in this thread:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333

dal's aft thread is getting full of questions about my program.

but anyway, try entering these settings into your phone and see if it helps. the menu structure might be slightly different but if it's not exactly the same just look around in that area for a similar option:

menu->settings->connectivity->data communication->data accounts
    ->new account->ps data

name: o2 internet
    apn: internet (or try open.internet too)
    username: (blank)
    password: (blank)

press save

click on o2 internet
    scroll down to authentication.
    untick None and CHAP, leaving only PAP selected

menu->settings->connectivity->internet settings->internet profiles
    ->new profile

name: o2 internet
    connect using: o2 internet

press save

select o2 internet from the list

menu->settings->connectivity->internet settings->settings for java

select o2 internet from the list

I have seen this issue (bug?) also in j2me on symbian 9.1 on N73. I found that for each form you create, have a separate class for it. i.e dont define more than 1 form in a single class. This should resolve the problem. It did you me anyway.. this issue was getting on my nerves.

i only had one form per class but there might be something on the form that interferes with the text box the same way as having a second form. i'll take a look at that, thanks. the really odd thing is that i made some changes the other day that were in a completely different part than the text box and copy and paste has randomly come back :confused:

i'll be releasing fixes for the problems found with the new version soon and i'll be posting about it in my thread, http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055165333

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

AFT is still working for o2 and vodafone (not sure about meteor, I haven't tested it).

However, I am not updating AFT as actively as Vimes is for Cabbage (I don't have the time anymore).

dal wrote: »
    AFT is still working for o2 and vodafone (not sure about meteor, I haven't tested it).

However, I am not updating AFT as actively as Vimes is for Cabbage (I don't have the time anymore).

sorry about that, i'll edit my post so people don't think it's not working

edit: i don't think it is working for meteor. before my first post i tried it with a meteor login and it didn't work but i just tried it again with an o2 login and it worked

Sam Vimes wrote:
    i only had one form per class but there might be something on the form that interferes with the text box the same way as having a second form. i'll take a look at that, thanks. the really odd thing is that i made some changes the other day that were in a completely different part than the text box and copy and paste has randomly come back

i've discovered it's even weirder than that. i found that if i open the program, go to the "send to many" screen and back, the options still aren't there but if i open the program, go to the "Destination number" screen and back the options appear.

it seems that the thing that causes them to appear for one and not the other is that the send to many command item is set to Command.SCREEN and the other one is Command.OK. this is definitely what's causing it because if i switch the Command.x values the behaviour is reversed.

still can't figure out a way to fix the problem. very odd.....

@Damo2k, you were right. I had a reference to another form in the class so that i could use some of it's methods and that's what was causing the problem. it's fixed now, thanks

@everyone, see the below thread for the new release. please keep cabbage related questions to my thread and not dal's AFT thread

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57715240&postcount=1006

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Straight Flush

I've never used AFT before but it sounds like a very neat program. Can someone recommend me a good o2 phone for fast simple texting with AFT?

Any java compatible phone should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

betafrog wrote: »
    Has anyone had a chance to try this with the new webtext system as it doesn't appear to working for me....

thanks

I'm having the same problem. Anybody have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

betafrog wrote: »
    Has anyone had a chance to try this with the new webtext system as it doesn't appear to working for me....

thanks

Not working on 02 for me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pop.1280

The o2 site changed at the weekend. The guys at JSMS have changed their application to cater for this but they're the only ones it seems :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

pop.1280 wrote: »
    The o2 site changed at the weekend. The guys at JSMS have changed their application to cater for this but they're the only ones it seems :(
    Sam Vimes updated cabbage days ago.

pop.1280 wrote: »

i've updated cabbage mobile and dal has the new scripts so aft should be back up and running shortly

edit:snap :D

It's back up and running now. Thanks Sam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 pop.1280

Brilliant, thanks lads. I've used both AFT and Cabbage and find them fantastic. thanks for all your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

Have Cabbage working a treat on O2 .. thanks a million for this gem.

However I have installed AFT on a SE P1i and have problems sending. Any one out there who has AFT working on the P1i?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Switched from 3 to O2 because of this app. Works a treat. Cheers guys, super work! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Finally got it working after alot of work. Yet, it still take about 30-60 seconds to send (sometimes longer), and when it does send, it says "There was a problem sending your message." But I know they're sending as I'm testing it by sending messages to my mother.

What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Well, I'm still getting the "There was a problem sending your message" error, but now the messages actually aren't sending (before they were, despite showing the error). Anyone know what could be wrong? I have Vodafone ISP as my access point and I think everything is set up correctly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Allabaah

moneyman wrote: »
    Well, I'm still getting the "There was a problem sending your message" error, but now the messages actually aren't sending (before they were, despite showing the error). Anyone know what could be wrong? I have Vodafone ISP as my access point and I think everything is set up correctly.

Hi Moneyman, getting the same error message "There was a problem sending your message". I have checked my login details & password and all ok. Checked the settings on the phone and all looks ok. I can browse the internet normally with my WAP settings so I reckon they are ok.
    Is this an unsafe assumption??

Advertisement