Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Project, step by step

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Nicw work man, good effort, and it payed off greatly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments.

To answer the queries:
    Spanky-S - I will find you. You can run, but.... :)

HungryJoey - I had checked that at the beginning of the whole process. It is a gas fire, so the heat output is pretty low. Most modern gas fires are designed to throw the heat outwards, and the area where the screen is only heats up as much as the rest of the room. I am not sure if I would mount over a roaring 'open' fire.

The Ritz - I tried to keep it as low as possible. However, so far we are both very comfortable with its position. We sit at least 12 or 14 feet away, so it only requires a slight 'head tilt' to see the screen properly.

Kerbdog - thanks for your comment, however I have already bought it. I will let you know how I get on with it.

I promise I'll have the costs done up soon. Incidentally, Currys sold the TV (same model) for €1250 on St.Stephens day. That is an amazing price (I payed €1364 online). My Dad got one, the jammy fekker.

Also,
    I got my macbook connected. I bought a cable that connects the headphones jack to the phonos on my amp. Sounds quite good.
    Also, I got a converter that converts the MiniDVI port to S-Video. So I need to get an S-Video to Scart lead to have the laptop video on the TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭buzzard

Prospect,

While you have the skirting off the wall, why don't you put in the surround sound cable. Do the job once not twice !!!
    Also for the coax cable you should have used mini coax. This is much more flexible than normal coax and depending on brand it is better quality

have a look at my installation. This runs a 7.1 amp, DVD-RW, DVD, 2 Sky boxes and a freeview box.

The first pircture shows the surround sound cable ( 6.1 ) running from amp to wall which distributes around the room also seen is the sat cable ( 2 sky & freeview ) and connection to 37in Plasma. Hidden behind is HDMI cable for future upgrades.

2nd picture show connection from wall to TV

The whole system comprises of 6.1 AMP, DVD-RW, DVD, 2 sky boxes and 1 freeview box.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Hi Buzzard,

Nice tips. I didn't know mini coaxial existed, and If I had known, I certainly would have used it.
    I made a decision not to run the cables for the surround sound, as it would mean that I would have had to leave loops of it hanging from the skirtings where is terminated.

I like your cable management boxes, they look neat. However, I prefer to have a single unbroken run of cable from speaker to amp.

Oki Doki.

Item: Samsung 42" Plasma - PS42C7H
    Supplier: www.technikdirekt.de
    Cost: €1364
    Shipping: €80

Item: Samsung DVD 160Gb HDD Recorder, with HDMI out
    Supplier: www.komplett.ie
    Cost: €399
    Shipping: €12

Item: Logitech Harmony 525 Universal Remote Control
    Supplier: www.komplett.ie
    Cost: €65
    Shipping: n/a - Shipped With DVD Recorder

Item: 10m HDMI to HDMI Cable
    Supplier: Peats Ballyfermot
    Cost: €60
    Shipping: n/a

Item: Misc - Polyfiller, Sandpaper, Cable Conjute
    Supplier: Woodies DIY
    Cost: €16 approx

Item: 100m Speaker Cable (had to buy in rolls)
    Supplier: Peats Ballyfermot
    Cost: €40 (I cant find the flipping docket for this, but I tink it was €40)

So, total cost for my 'upgrade' - €2036, my budget was €2200.
    I am pretty happy with that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Hi,

Nice job there!

Quick general question about running power cables in parallel to component, hdmi, speaker cables etc. (ie. like behind skirting as in prospect's project) and whether this causes EM/RF interference to picture/audio quality?

I thought unshielded cables should be run at right angles to power cables

Have people come across this issue before or is it even an issue with your setup Prospect?

EDIT: 1000th post, me officially has no life...

Advertisement