Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Irish be mandatory for Leaving cert?

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

To those who speak it daily it is not a language of the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Which doesent represent the majority unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Which makes it a minority language, not a dead one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Ok, you have me there:D, Dead is a bit strong, instead the Language is declining in certain areas and flourishing in minority areas like the Gaeltacht.
    If they removed all the poems and stories/Literature, it would be beneficial to the adoption of the language.
    This has not been the case for many years.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds

Dead is inaccurate. Shakespeare is on the English course, that type of language only spoken by a minority but benefits ones' general use of the English language. Similarily one text should be studied for the Leaving Certificate but indepth rather than just notes learned off. Those who feel it is dead live very narrow-minded lives. Those who feel it is a minortity language are entirely correct.
    Does minority=unimportant for some of you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Is it too late to edit the thread and have an actual poll?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Naikon wrote:
    after that let people decide themselves if they want to learn a language which could **** up their college place.

Any subject could **** up your college place. Any language... Even something you're good at could screw you over on the day.

There is a poll... somewhere... it got bumped down a little methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

At this stage we are treating the language as disposable, and it's not.

Simply as a tool for communication, just as English is forced on us all as children. By not teaching Irish as a compulsory subject while teaching English as a compulsory subject we are excluding a minority from our country

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭fionated7

if i get my teaching course il introduce irish to kids as our nice, native language, not something that includes having to learn verbs in 3 tenses n rattle off in front of the class in fear of being hit with a window pole... never actually happened to anyone but that threat had me petrified all thru third class..
    maybe if kids learn to love it n use it from a young age there wont be the mass of teenagers talking as if the language is dead in the future...
    i feel it certainly shud stay compulsory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Naikon wrote:
    Dead is a bit strong, instead the Language is declining in certain areas and flourishing in minority areas like the Gaeltacht.
    Actually, it´s declining in the Gaeltacht and flourishing in cities like Dublin....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭melsman

cheater wrote:
    i don't know if anyone has said this already because frankly i couldn't be bothered reading all the posts, but ya i think irish should be kept mandatory, but only the language itself, i think studying the poetry and pros and stair na gaeilge should be a separate subject, IRISH LITERATURE perhaps, because frankly i hate that, but I'd love to be able to speak irish fluently, and thats what turns me off irish having to learn all that sh*t, well anyways thats just my opinion!

i would be very much in agreement with the idea of an irish literature subject, same with english....pointless poets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Fastidious

I got a c1 in honours with barely a word of Irish. Nobody liked it, nobody speaks it(pretty much) Better off learning a language you can use instead of learning one for nostalgia.

Speak for yourself..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In fairness, he was speaking for himself ... 12 years ago at that! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement