Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

A discussion on album covers and artwork.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭yevveh

Agreed in that a lot of these album covers are totally cheesy! :p

Scanned the Ten Past Seven artwork:

tenpastsevenalbumartwork002.jpg

tenpastsevenalbumartwork5.jpg

tenpastsevenartwork2.jpg

The image on the right in the second one is reflective, the idea being you see your own face with the smile and shush-ing finger over it. Great idea. I had to edit it slightly due to reflectivity and my pathetic editing skills (or lack thereof) will probably show. I was really surprised with how high quality the artwork is, especially by a small Irish band on an independent release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

yevveh wrote:
    Agreed in that a lot of these album covers are totally cheesy! :p

Scanned the Ten Past Seven artwork:

tenpastsevenalbumartwork002.jpg

tenpastsevenalbumartwork5.jpg

tenpastsevenartwork2.jpg

The image on the right in the second one is reflective, the idea being you see your own face with the smile and shush-ing finger over it. Great idea. I had to edit it slightly due to reflectivity and my pathetic editing skills (or lack thereof) will probably show. I was really surprised with how high quality the artwork is, especially by a small Irish band on an independent release.
    I'm afraid yevveh, that cover would do nothing for me! :(

I'm afraid yevveh, that cover would do nothing for me! :(

Fair enough - each to his own! :)

Also, I figure they're all alternate covers masked as artwork. They don't come in a booklet - each one is a slip of paper with a cover on either side. I didn't scan the reverse of the reflective one (it's plain reflective material) or one other, as I didn't like it. I assume you mean you didn't like the reflective one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

Devastatin'%20Dave.jpg

weemcd - saw that one before, love it! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

L&#233 wrote: »
    Death - Spiritual Healing
    Attachment not found.

Excellent.

I was wondering how long it would be untill someone posted that. Easily one of my favourites, it's quite a stand out compared to a lot of other Death Metal releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

Undergod wrote:
    He actually designs covers for other bands and stuff, doesn't he? He has a website for his graphic design business I think.

I agree Tool often have wonderful artwork, the layered booklet off Lateralus is wonderful, or the stereoscopic goggles and 3D pictures in 10,000 days. Great stuff.

Ya the artwork in 10,000 days is brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

Scorpions had a few odd ones early on..

lovedrive.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭KilbarrackBlows

I always love tools album covers.
    And i can brag now because i was asked by the head of mute records art department (louise downer) to do some album covers mwahahah *his head begins to grow*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭lezizi

I always love tools album covers.
    And i can brag now because i was asked by the head of mute records art department (louise downer) to do some album covers mwahahah *his head begins to grow*.

no way thats class

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Weasels_Ripped_My_Flesh.jpg

A favourite since I was a kid.

Undergod - love that one. Zappa has some brilliant ones. "Ship Arriving Too Late To Save a Drowning Witch" is pretty clever:

Ship_Arriving_Too_Late_To_Save_A_Drowning_Witch.jpg

Exactly what it says on the tin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

cant believe no one threw in ride the lightening...
    nice to see mael mordha in there too:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭jellikit

Since this ambum came out its been my favourite , so much so I had it done on my last bike
    100_0879.jpg
    Noplacefordisgrace.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

Can't say I agree that rock/metal bands have interesting covers. Rock bands often do, but ninety persent of metal covers seem to be done in the same style, with similar themes. Some busty lady, and epic mountainside or view, a gory scene or skull that looks cool to a fourteen year old boy. That said, at least Immortal bring some much needed sexiness into the whole area. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

Always loved these ...
    clash.jpg
    akuma.jpg
    aphex.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

khanate_cover.jpg

I've always liked the artwork.

More O'Malley work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

What? is nobody going to post Regurgitate's "Carnivorous Erection" artwork?

I can't think of any of my favorites right now, except maybe Nine Inch Nails "Closer To God" artwork. i just love it

200px-Closer_to_god_US.jpg

Also, I'll have to agree with the call on Sepultura's "Arise", excellent cover, I spent a while just looking at the detail in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

There's too much pictures being posted, and not enough discussion going on here. Come on guys. If you're going to post something, at least give a reason why it's good.
    Geranium wrote:
    Can't say I agree that rock/metal bands have interesting covers. Rock bands often do, but ninety persent of metal covers seem to be done in the same style, with similar themes. Some busty lady, and epic mountainside or view, a gory scene or skull that looks cool to a fourteen year old boy. That said, at least Immortal bring some much needed sexiness into the whole area. :)

While there certainly are a lot of clichéd album covers in Metal, no doubt about it, but 90% is a bit strong. Honestly, where did you get that figure?

I think there's plenty of great artwork out there, especially considering the work of Ed Repka, and many others like Travis Smith working in the genre. There's a lot of them who I just can't think of right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Whatever about the accuracy of the statistics I'd agree with Geranium take in general, whats disappointing about metal covers like the Meal Mordha one cited is its so corney and samey, I instantly thought of Holy Diver which is all of 25 odd years old. This stuff is young teenage boy w*nk and it hasn't moved on in a long, long time. The other side of this is that the metal pioneers never stooped to this crap and while some of their 70's covers might seem cheesy, Deep Purple spring to mind, they at least were of their time, say Fireball, or they were having a laugh, In Rock.
    Take the cover of Hemispheres by Rush. The album deals with the conflict between heart and mind, emotion vs experience, instinct vs rationality using ancient Greek mythology to illustrate this . Hugh Syme choose to illustrate this using a photo montage of lots of floating brains with a naked ballet dancer dude pointing in an accusingly foppish manner at a chartered accountant type in a pinstripe suite and bowler hat. Its a bit odd and I've never been sure if I like it or not. However if the guy who did the Meal Morda cover had his way we would have had an airbrushed cross between the Rape of the Sabine women and the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse.
    Also I think the adoption of characters in the late 70s by emerging bands such as Motorhead and Iron Maiden was a unfortunate development as every single one of all their covers are hideous and totally lacking innovation or imagination in fact they're all down right ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

jethro tull's Aqualung is an excellent gatefold cover..
    reminds me of a hobo that used to sleep rough across from the rotunda hospital in dublin when i was a kid...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

MoominPapa wrote:
    Also I think the adoption of characters in the late 70s by emerging bands such as Motorhead and Iron Maiden was a unfortunate development as every single one of all their covers are hideous and totally lacking innovation or imagination in fact they're all down right ugly.

Ah yes the Heavy Metal Motif. Give your band a cool looking logo in a gothic style typeface and identifiable image. I think heavy metal bands in the late 70's were pioneers of marketing and brand loyalty. This was a ply by the embroidery industry which got thousands of metal fans drop stitching their denim jackets.

The Iron Maiden/Motorhead album covers are weak and as the releases continue the idea gets tiresome. I would much rather the austere designs of factory records than an axe wielding zombie.

However I have to say looking at some of the covers posted there really is some super ones that I never knew about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,635 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Gotta hand it to them for being ballsy

cover-manowar-anthology.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

I am amazed that nobody has posted this yet:

Electric_ladyland_nude_front_and_back.jpg

Hendrix ftw

But on another note, I like this album cover for two reasons; Simplicity. And in a genre where people seem to think that you need to have highly detailed and elaborate artwork, this goes against the trend:

Metallica_-_Metallica.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Gotta hand it to them for being ballsy

Don't know, the guy on the left seems to be a bit lackin in packin, and the rest are all conveniently covered up in one way or another
    One is reminded of

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

600px-Dsotm.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Dinosaur Jr. - Green Mind

Green%20Mind.JPG

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

Rage%20Against%20the%20Machine.JPG

Stone Temple Pilots - Purple

Purple

Pearl Jam - Ten

Ten.jpg

Lemonheads - Car, Button, Cloth

Car, Button, Cloth

Honestly, I think most of these covers are self explanatory, especially the first two. Just look at the face on that girl on the cover of Green Mind! Such attitude!

I love all the artwork in Purple including the cover (had to link to this image because I had to scan it myself and it's BIG).

The Ten cover is great too though I don't like the larger photo it actually folds out into. I think the hands reaching toward the sky is far more evocative.

The Lemonheads one is a bit silly I guess but something about it appeals to me. One thing I've noticed is that I tend to prefer photos to artwork, at least when it comes to covers.

Would have to agree with the criticism of a lot of metal covers. They do a fair trade in clichés and a lot of them are too busy for my liking. Like they can't decide what they want the focus of the image to be so they just chuck everything in.

Advertisement