Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cabbage Desktop / Cabbage Mobile mega thread (Desktop/mobile texting app)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Thanks a lot Sam for getting back on this.

A little weird but you suggestion worked. Here what I did.
    1. Completely uninstalled and then reinstalled.
    2. Tried again and it still was the same - not working (could not reach the server)
    3. Pressed options->accounts->options->edit server - The server mentioned above was already there. I did not input anything but I clicked on Save.
    4. After that I tried again and now its working fine :)

I am not sure if choosing the Save option did anything of there was something else but the bottom line is that its working great again and now I am really happy :D

Thanks again Sam

clicking save might actually have made a difference. If you had no server stored then it would fail to connect without even asking as was happening but I have it set so that when you go to view the server, if no server is stored it displays the default one but you'd have to save it before it would actually store it. I really should fix it :D

btw, did you have an older version installed on the E52 before installing the latest one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Im using the portable version and it works grand, at the start i had problems but enabling the use old sending method sorted that.

jeffk wrote: »
    Im using the portable version and it works grand, at the start i had problems but enabling the use old sending method sorted that.

You need to install the .NET framework 2.0 to use the new sending method

• Registered Users Posts: 5,841 ✭✭✭jeffk

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    You need to install the .NET framework 2.0 to use the new sending method

Ah I have that thanks, just thought id throw in what i done to get it working ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cavanman..

If the price increases it's usually a coverage issue, ie the phone had to retry a few times. The program sends the minimum amount of data possible, less than 1kb so there's not much I can do about the pricing unfortunately :(

I've the same issue with pricing since a couple of weeks ago. I don't think its a coverage issue. Every single cabbage text I've sent has been charged at 4c (even a text with one word). Strangely when I send a text though fishtext.com it only costs 2c. Only feasible explanation would be that meteor are p**sed off with loss of revenue due to cabbage text? Might call them tomorrow and query the 4c charges??

Not sure if of any relevance, but they launched their free internet for payg around the same time..

Time to switch networks I guess, although meteor leisure time (old tariff) is great value for calls off-peak...

Can anyone on meteor billpay or another network check if cost has risen (or if sending a cabbage text is now using more than 1kb) ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

On Meteor Leisure time too and it's only costing 2cent for me. Using the DATA connection.. this is a weird one . (it's costing me 4cent too now)
    I have no confidence in Meteor's charging though for example I have been charged for accessing the free meteor wap homepage.(2cent btw was the charge could it be connected?:confused: probably not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

clicking save might actually have made a difference. If you had no server stored then it would fail to connect without even asking as was happening but I have it set so that when you go to view the server, if no server is stored it displays the default one but you'd have to save it before it would actually store it. I really should fix it :D

btw, did you have an older version installed on the E52 before installing the latest one?

Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. So the Save finally did the trick. :D

I had the latest version before reinstalling it. Even the first time I directly installed from you site by pointing the phone browser to the download link. So I am sure it was the latest version.

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    On Meteor Leisure time too and it's only costing 2cent for me. Using the DATA connection.. this is a weird one . (it's costing me 4cent too now)
    I have no confidence in Meteor's charging though for example I have been charged for accessing the free meteor wap homepage.(2cent btw was the charge could it be connected?:confused: probably not

Rang meteor twice, in the vain attempt of getting someone helpful. Blunt answer was "because its 2kb". Why is it 2kb and not 1kb? "Beyond our control i.e. not something we can scrutinise"..

Can someone from another network please check if sending a very short cabbage text is 1kb or 2kb for them (should be easy to check in call history online...)

It should be less than 2KB. Can someone try checking for updates on the program and tell me how much it costs?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

Hi sam, just tried for the update on my phone and it cost 5c.

gerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Pyro Boy

It should be less than 2KB. Can someone try checking for updates on the program and tell me how much it costs?

Just checked it out with the DATA and WAP connection on 3G and edge and it only cost 2cent for checking for the update. (this is Meteor PAYG)

Pyro Boy wrote: »
    Just checked it out with the DATA and WAP connection on 3G and edge and it only cost 2cent for checking for the update. (this is Meteor PAYG)

Checking for update costs me 4c. My phone is a 2G phone, is that of any relevance?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭apophis

yep, 2G here as well,

gerry :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭cusackd

Lads is there anywhere i can post what you people have done with the open source code?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭flugel

Saving sent messages on android, superb!

Sent first text after update, force closed after message sent, hopefully just a once off, great app!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Great app :) Just got my first Android device (HTC Desire) and Cabbage works a treat!

I noticed when downloading other applications from the market it tells you what they will have access to on the phone before you install.
    Would it be possible for cabbage to get access to the mobile data connection so it could switch it on and off itself when sending a message??

Would be an excellent feature imho. I keep mobile data and wifi switched off unless I need them (to extend the battery life between charges) and I've to switch data back on before I send a message, so it would be a killer feature :)

lafors wrote: »
    Great app :) Just got my first Android device (HTC Desire) and Cabbage works a treat!

I noticed when downloading other applications from the market it tells you what they will have access to on the phone before you install.
    Would it be possible for cabbage to get access to the mobile data connection so it could switch it on and off itself when sending a message??

Would be an excellent feature imho. I keep mobile data and wifi switched off unless I need them (to extend the battery life between charges) and I've to switch data back on before I send a message, so it would be a killer feature :)

Hi, the android version of cabbage is actually made by someone else and just using my webtext scripts in the background. you should post feature requests and bug reports etc here:
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055832515

cusackd wrote: »
    Lads is there anywhere i can post what you people have done with the open source code?

I'm not sure what you mean.....

I'm still looking into that issue with the price increasing btw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

This is really great app!!! Thanks very much. Well done !

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Heya Sam, just remembered this evening, even though I switched to Vodafone about a week ago now and have sent many a webtext, that Vodafone ones come in "parts" :(

Is this a Vodafone restriction or can it be gotten around at all? Wonder why they do it in parts and o2 don't. Guess I can live with it :)

Another thing, possibly a bug, is that when I synched my texts with "myphoneexplorer" a text that my brother had sent me through cabbage came up as from an "unknown" contact and his number had +00353 in front of it. He's with o2. As far as I know having a + in front of a number elminates the need to have the 00 and in some countries, it's not even 00, which is why the + is universally compatible. I personally have all contacts saved in the +353861234567 format but for some reason, MyPhoneExplorere didn't recognise this text to be from a contact.

• Advertisement

Sorry for only getting back to you now cormie, been busy this week.
    cormie wrote: »
    Heya Sam, just remembered this evening, even though I switched to Vodafone about a week ago now and have sent many a webtext, that Vodafone ones come in "parts" :(

Is this a Vodafone restriction or can it be gotten around at all? Wonder why they do it in parts and o2 don't. Guess I can live with it :)
    That's a vodafone restriction I'm afraid.
    cormie wrote: »
    Another thing, possibly a bug, is that when I synched my texts with "myphoneexplorer" a text that my brother had sent me through cabbage came up as from an "unknown" contact and his number had +00353 in front of it. He's with o2. As far as I know having a + in front of a number elminates the need to have the 00 and in some countries, it's not even 00, which is why the + is universally compatible. I personally have all contacts saved in the +353861234567 format but for some reason, MyPhoneExplorere didn't recognise this text to be from a contact.

I have no control over the number the text appears to come from. If he had sent it from the O2 website it would have appeared the same. Usually O2 web texts appear to come from numbers in the format 00353 so I couldn't say why they would stick a + in front of it. Are all of his messages coming from this +00353 number?

btw, I finally found that bug that people have been complaining about for ages where they would tick a group to send a text to and the group wouldn't be selected. The reason I never found it was it only affects people who have the option to use individual phone books for each user ticked. The latest version on the website (1.96.6) has the bug fixed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,452 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

anybody getting any problems today?
    i keep getting "cannot connect to the server" when i try to send a messege.

Meteor PAYG
    Nokia 6300

No working fine on meteor PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Drakar

Maybe it's mentioned somewhere else, is there some way to donate? I cant see a paypal button but maybe I'm doing it wrong (tm).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Drakar wrote: »
    Maybe it's mentioned somewhere else, is there some way to donate? I cant see a paypal button but maybe I'm doing it wrong (tm).
    If you go to http://www.cabbagetexter.com/ and scroll to the bottom there's a Donate button hidden away there :)

Hey Sam, I have a Nokia n97 mini and want to get this working - currently on meteor billpay.

How would I get it working?

Hey Sam, I have a Nokia n97 mini and want to get this working - currently on meteor billpay.

How would I get it working?

Just download the latest version by either downloading the file to your computer from this link: http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.75.jar or by going to this link on your phone: http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.75

Are you having problems with it?

Just download the latest version by either downloading the file to your computer from this link: http://cabbagetexter.com/mobile/Cabbage_Mobile_1.75.jar or by going to this link on your phone: http://cabbagetexter.com/dl1.75

Are you having problems with it?

It is saying, "cannot connect to server"

• Advertisement

It is saying, "cannot connect to server"

Does it ask to connect to the internet or does it say cannot connect to server as soon as you hit send?

If the latter, press options->accounts->options->edit server and when it shows http://cabbagetexter.com/send.php press Save and see if that makes a difference

Advertisement