Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping/Bargain Alerts In Sligo Town/County (Merged)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I suppose you have a good point there, somehow I don't think I will be there that early or even that day. Isn't there usually queues to get into the shop at that time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

So did anyone get anything in the Next sale down here?
    I got down there for 4 oclock (in the afternoon!) got a pair of skinny jeans reduced to 19 from 39. It was mad busy though so couldn't really look properly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Had a friend that went down at 8am this morn. Is it closing down?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Madge

DenMan wrote: »
    Had a friend that went down at 8am this morn. Is it closing down?

OMG, I hope not! It's just their annual Summer Sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

mrs.T went at 5 am and got lots for the wee man. really good stuff for less then half the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I was there indeed. It was busy this morning at 5am but not as busy as I'd imagined and there was no pushing and elbowing. A lovely woman even helped me get something from the bottom of the rack because the wee one was in her sling. I went with my neighbour who always goes and says that was what it's always like. It was quite a pleasant experience, when I got to the till I got served straight away. Got loads of bargains. I'm definitely going to go to the Next sale at 5am again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

For those not in the know, cinema Tickets are €5 on Tuesdays :)
    Would recommend going there at least 20 minutes before to get a decent seat, the newest films are usually packed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I took my daughter to the kids club on Sunday, €3 for her, "Minder" gets in free. She said she would like to go as long as I didn't sing. It was the Hannah Montana movie, poor child is still in shock after we went to see Mama Mia. :p:D

That €5 deal is great.

Did it not used to be Wednesday, have they changed it to Tuesday now?

O2 had/have an offer on. If you text to some number like 58800 or something along those lines you get a text back and you show it to the person on the ticket booth and it's buy one get one free.
    I'm not on O2 but the gf is so it's a great excuse to go to the cinema. Don't know if the offer is still on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

BCawley wrote: »
    For those not in the know, cinema Tickets are €5 on Tuesdays :)
    Would recommend going there at least 20 minutes before to get a decent seat, the newest films are usually packed

WTF? How much are they normally? A fiver doesn't seem like much of a bargain to me - a DVD's only 2 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,894 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Jaysus.. been a while since you've been to the cinema starbelgrade? It's €9 a ticket.. which is the exact reason I only go when there's something worth seeing, which is probably twice in the last 12 months.

It's almost €11 most places up in Dublin.

Until Sligo gets a Cineworld and their unlimited tickets (€180 for 12 months.. but you can see as many films as you want. Go every day if you like.. twice a day even!), they can feck off at those prices!

It's the cost of everything else that makes it expensive. I bought a portion of popcorn and peanuts on Sunday - €6. I had drinks in my bag, other wise it would be another €6, at least.

It's the cost of everything else that makes it expensive. I bought a portion of popcorn and peanuts on Sunday - €6. I had drinks in my bag, other wise it would be another €6, at least.
    Well.. that's because cinemas make little or no money off ticket sales. That's why their food is expensive - that's where they make their money.

Profit from ticket sales goes back to film studios / distributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

They charge €9 in and yet they make no money from ticket sales?

I don't believe that for a minute!

They charge €9 in and yet they make no money from ticket sales?

I don't believe that for a minute!
    They do make money but it's little in comparison to the extortionate ticket price.

Not to derail the thread too much but how it works is like this:

The distributor makes about 95% of ticket sales the first week, 90% of ticket sales the 2nd week and so on. It’s only if a film goes on longer than a month that a cinema starts to make any proper money.

It's common knowledge. Have you ever been in the modern cinema that was reasonably priced for snacks? Don't think so!

€9???!!! No wonder I haven't been for ages!! I did see "Slumdog.." in the cinema when it came out, but the missus paid, so I didn't notice the extortionate entrance fee.

It was a terrible experience too - there was a group of women sitting behind us who didn't shut the f*ck up for the whole film AND they kept "hushing" a bunch of kids further down who were also making noise (pot? kettle?). Two of the women were answering the questions to the "Millionaire" quiz show as if they were at home. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't keep getting the answers wrong!

I only ever make the effort to go to the flics when Tarantino has a film out & his lat one, "Deathproof", didn't even make it as far as the North West.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭blackiebest

Very off topic I know but Basquille, you especially should read/download (audio) book 'The future of Music MAnifesto for the digital music revoultion' by Dave Kusek and Gerd Leonhard. Available in audiobook or hard copy, pm me for ultra bargin;)

I essentially is about music but gives an amazing insight into how we all will avail of our entertainment in the future or now depending on how you use the net. Very lucid and brilliantly put together and from reading your posts here and elsewhere on the forum I think you would be very interested!

Never knew about the 180euro unlimited tix, that would be great!

€9???!!! No wonder I haven't been for ages!! I did see "Slumdog.." in the cinema when it came out, but the missus paid, so I didn't notice the extortionate entrance fee.

It was a terrible experience too - there was a group of women sitting behind us who didn't shut the f*ck up for the whole film AND they kept "hushing" a bunch of kids further down who were also making noise (pot? kettle?). Two of the women were answering the questions to the "Millionaire" quiz show as if they were at home. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't keep getting the answers wrong!

I only ever make the effort to go to the flics when Tarantino has a film out & his lat one, "Deathproof", didn't even make it as far as the North West.

I really can't stand cinema's for same reason. Only I'm one of the people that hates somebody else talking but thinks it's alright to do it myself!:D Goes without saying that the last time I went to the cinema for myself was about 15 years ago (when I had a girl friend without a telly) Only went to the cinema in Carrick once for the wee man after that. I prefer the comfort of my own house to watch it when I want.

I prefer the comfort of my own house to watch it when I want.

Yep - at least when yr at home, you can smoke, make tea, drink wine, fart out loud & pause the film to have a p*ss!

I love cinemas, can't get enough of them. I love the whole cinema experience. Go for a pint or two before heading in. The excitement of seeing whats on, chatting to the girls inside, buying crisps and diet coke (I'm watching my figure these days :D)

Why does Sligo only have afternoon movies on the late summer, should be all year round.

• Advertisement

I reckon all businesses should be giving discounts to the unemployed these days - they used to in the late 80's / early 90's when things were as sh*te as they are now. Students, OAPs & kids are not the only ones with feic all cash.

But students and kids can't claim the dole.
    There is times I would earn more just been on the dole but as a student I can't so I have to work if I want any money at all and loans and bills need to be paid.

bobcar61 wrote: »
    But students and kids can't claim the dole.
    There is times I would earn more just been on the dole but as a student I can't so I have to work if I want any money at all and loans and bills need to be paid.

True, but OAPs get much the same welfare & more benefits than the unemployed (usually) - it's a good way for businesses to increase profits.

Tesco does delivery for 1 cent until friday!! and I saw €4 tuesday!! I love shopping on the net!!!!!!!!

Yankee Candles in Cara Pharmancy in the Quayside.

Yankee Tarts 5 for €4
    Yankee Samplers 4 for €5

Thursday 27th to Monday 31st

Quality Street, Roses and Heros tins of sweets all half price @ €5.99 in Centra (Caltragh - not sure about other ones).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Quality Street, Roses and Heros tins of sweets all half price @ €5.99 in Centra (Caltragh - not sure about other ones).
    Same in SuperValu in Ballisadare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Dunno if this was here before but Centra in Gurteen are selling 12 rolls of Triple Velvet for 3.49. Mmmmm, soft......

fozzle wrote: »
    Dunno if this was here before but Centra in Gurteen are selling 12 rolls of Triple Velvet for 3.49. Mmmmm, soft......

That's great news fozzle. As students we need to stock up on it. Cheers.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

DenMan wrote: »
    That's great news fozzle. As students we need to stock up on it. Cheers.:)
    I think I'm up to 15 packets. El husband officially thinks I'm insane.

Advertisement