Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help? Money gone..

Options
  • 08-11-2007 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Out of the blue, my BOI Student account has been deducted 700 euro with 'Pass TX' on the statement. What an earth does this mean? Normally on my statement a withdrawal comes up as just plain 'Pass' so I'm worried about the TX bit. Being a student, I don't make that money in three weeks, so I cannot figure out what it is. The card hasn't been used in about 4 days, so only noticed it now. Money was taken out today...:(

It puts me in a lot of financial trouble...because I am now -600 euro in my account with a lot of bills to pay. :(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

You haven't lost a card recently, have you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Contact you bank asap and follow up in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

No, my boyfriend has had it in his wallet for the last three days. And i usually leave it in a secure place in my car!

Thanks Hagar. What do I put in writing? When I last used my card etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

I am wondering has your Card been skimmed ???

• Advertisement

That what Im wondering too... But I thought with that, skimmers can only take out what is in my account. I only had about 100! So pissed off right now. :mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

TX looks like an electronic funds transfer such as a direct debit or standing order of some type.

Ring the bank first thing and then follow up with confirmation of your recent card use in writing. I would also make an appointment to go to the branch in person and see the manager.

That should be the situation, i would talk to the Bank & ask them what "Pass TX" means exactly. If its a transaction at an ATM in a location you have never been (and they should be able to pinpoint the location and the exact date and time of the transaction) then you should be able to prove you where never there and withdrew that money, then they generally refund the money.

They also refund money taken as a result of skimming.

In the meantime as Hagar suggests contact them immediately and put a stop on all transaction till you know whats going on, they should have a 24 hour number, failing that first thing in the morning.

I should also add, these skimmers are getting better all the time. They now skim a card take the electronic data and email it to someone else where in the world who clone your info on a new card and start using it.

So it could be as Hagar suggests

Yeah, Im going down in the morning to them. Thanks for all the quick replies!

• Advertisement

Your don't have an over draft facility do you, cause if so then that would mean there would be more then the €100 available

That €700 looks suspiciously like an ATM withdrawal as the 24 hr max on most ATM cards is €700.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

The Queen wrote: »
    Out of the blue, my BOI Student account has been deducted 700 euro with 'Pass TX' on the statement. What an earth does this mean? Normally on my statement a withdrawal comes up as just plain 'Pass' so I'm worried about the TX bit. Being a student, I don't make that money in three weeks, so I cannot figure out what it is. The card hasn't been used in about 4 days, so only noticed it now. Money was taken out today...:(

It puts me in a lot of financial trouble...because I am now -600 euro in my account with a lot of bills to pay. :(:(

It basically means that there was a transaction carried out through an ATM machine.

The Queen wrote: »
    No, my boyfriend has had it in his wallet for the last three days. And i usually leave it in a secure place in my car!

Seriously, your boyfriend shouldn't have your card.
    Croc wrote: »
    I am wondering has your Card been skimmed ???

More than likely yes.
    Hagar wrote: »
    TX looks like an electronic funds transfer such as a direct debit or standing order of some type.

Ring the bank first thing and then follow up with confirmation of your recent card use in writing. I would also make an appointment to go to the branch in person and see the manager.

Customer service will be more than capable of handing her query. A fraud form will need to be filled out and signed by yourself. You will need to go to your local Garda station and get the name of a guard who deals with investigations of the sort. When someone skims your a/c, the bank must involve the Gardai.
    That should be the situation, i would talk to the Bank & ask them what "Pass TX" means exactly. If its a transaction at an ATM in a location you have never been (and they should be able to pinpoint the location and the exact date and time of the transaction) then you should be able to prove you where never there and withdrew that money, then they generally refund the money.

They also refund money taken as a result of skimming.

In the meantime as Hagar suggests contact them immediately and put a stop on all transaction till you know whats going on, they should have a 24 hour number, failing that first thing in the morning.

If the card has been skimmed, the money will be refunded. I would advise that you ring 1850 33 33 33. For more numbers / information look at - http://www.safecard.ie/contacts/contacts_c.html
    Your don't have an over draft facility do you, cause if so then that would mean there would be more then the €100 available

That €700 looks suspiciously like an ATM withdrawal as the 24 hr max on most ATM cards is €700.

€700 eur is the max you can take out, per day on an ATM card. If you had an overdraft it would be taken out as if you has the same amount in your a/c.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a friend whose card was skimmed this week. They are based in Dublin and the card was used just before midnight in Carlow (They have never been there). I imagine the intention is to use it just before and just after midnight to maximise the return, although my friend didnt have the additional funds to lose. The bank involved immediately refunded the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Thundercracker

Can someone explain to me what skimming actually is? I assume the original OP had an overdraft, since I dont, and if the same thing was to happen to me you couldnt take out more then whats actually in your account

• Registered Users Posts: 12,168 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

This is why people need to ALWAYS COVER THEIR PIN when entereing it. No matter where they are.

Also, don't tell the bank your boyfriend had your card. Revealing your PIN is a breach of the T&C and they bank could turn around and decide not to refund any money.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

Sangre wrote: »
    This is why people need to ALWAYS COVER THEIR PIN when entereing it. No matter where they are.

Also, don't tell the bank your boyfriend had your card. Revealing your PIN is a breach of the T&C and they bank could turn around and decide not to refund any money.

OP needs to be extremely careful about this point.

In particular, great care needs to be taken not to make a statement that might be capable of being found subsequently to be false.

Suppose the card was lifted temporarily from the BF's custody and cloned. Suppose that the crime is eventually detected and it comes to light that the card was lifted from the BF and OP has made a completely contrary statement. Ouch :eek:

Can someone explain to me what skimming actually is? I assume the original OP had an overdraft, since I dont, and if the same thing was to happen to me you couldnt take out more then whats actually in your account

Skimming is creating a clone of you A.T.M. Card and no they can't take out more than is available in your account.

The perpetrator's place a device over a genuine A.T.M. which in fact looks like the original, when you insert your card into this device the victim thinks they are inserting it into a genuine ATM when in fact it is being put into a fake. The purpose of the device is to read the magnetic strip on the victims card. Hence the term "skimming" (they skimmed the date from your card using his device)
    However it will not read the pin number hence they will have a mini camera normally hidden in a plastic holder which should contain leaflets, this enables them to see you enter you pin. They normally leave the device in place for about 30 minutes then retrieve it and move on to another ATM.

Once they retrieve the data from the cards they place it on a laptop which they use to download it on to a card reader which writes the data on to a blank card, then they have a clone of you ATM Card that they can use. They tend to withdraw the daily max just before midnight and again after midnight as soon as they have the clone and bang there is €1400 gone fron you account in 20 minutes.

These are pictures of some skimming devices, Picture 3 shows the Plastic holder with the camera

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

Attachment not found.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭scaryfairy

hi
    exactly the same thing happened to us just now! 2x700 euro gone (we have a joint account)

so The Queen, what happened to you after that? did your bank give you a frefund? it's sunday, and we cannot talk to anyone right now (opnly managed to cancel our cards)

thanks
    sf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

Really sorry to hear that. Hope the bank can sort it out for you tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

scaryfairy wrote: »
    hi
    exactly the same thing happened to us just now! 2x700 euro gone (we have a joint account)

so The Queen, what happened to you after that? did your bank give you a frefund? it's sunday, and we cannot talk to anyone right now (opnly managed to cancel our cards)

thanks
    sf

Get straight into your branch in the morning. The only positive from this is that they cannot get any further money. The downside is that is has to be fully investigated (Gardai and bank), which could take anything from a couple of weeks to a month. Provided you haven't done anything stupid (like writing your pin on the card), you should be ok.

• Advertisement

thanks Roundtower & Stepbar. been to the bank, they didn't seem surprised at all and tried to reassure us, that things will be fine. we already reported it to the Gardai yesterday so, fingers crossed, it's not all lost.

thanks again

fyi: we just got a phone call from the bank and they will def. refund us, very soon. it is probably because we acted very quickly after we discovered the theft: 8am, noticed the problem online, then we cancelled our cards straight away, and then reported it to the gardai by 9.30am and monday did the same in our local boi branch.

thanks again for all the comments, previously too, it was a great help (somehow it wouldn't have occurred to us to contact the police if it wasn't for the forum).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Speaking of which, i checked my accounts online, had noticed that 92euro was taken out of my current account on the available balance, just as well i don't keep large amounts in my current account and have no overdraft.

Rang up, they said transaction was taken out at 4:45pm today when i was in work, 15minutes before i rang up. Talk about good timing discovering it!
    Didn't use laser card today, last laser card use was in lidl/dunnes yesterday, haven't used a atm in maybe weeks. Laser card now cancelled.

They repeated the same as stepbar had said, i'm sure its not a 'late transaction' so heads up, its happening this xmas!

Just an update if anyone has to go through process of dodgy laser card transactions.
    Had to get garda statement and whole issue is now in hands of bank fraud dept.

They still don't know where it happened but have a code with date/time and i won't get a cent back until the outcome of their investigation is complete
    (stepbar again is right on this part!)

Was told this can take over 15days which i think is the same wait as to ATM fraud

After all this, it seems to me that Chip&Pin was all just hype and fraud still occurs. Cash is 1-0 in my case, i just have to withdraw cash from a legit atm in work until i have confidence back using laser.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

sorry to drag up an old thread. but gurramok did you get the cash back in the end (and how long did it take?)

have just had the same thing happen to me today :(:(:(

Yes i did, surprisingly it was the 1st week in Jan i got it back so it didn't take 15days at all. More like 5 working days i think it was to get it back(including xmas period).

The dodgy transaction was from the Luas and i live nowhere near it nor use it!

Never heard anything from the bank nor the gardai since i reported it.

Advertisement