Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reversing cameras / sensors

• 06-11-2007 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭

Moved from "anything for the weekend" thread

If your looking for a revesring camera, have a look on e-bay
    This is the one I bought and it does exactly what it says on the tin
    I was able to "glue" it on and also bring cable in through roof vent
    All in all fitted in about 2 hrs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250145997939

I have no connection to the seller.....just happy to recommend the camera

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Cheers Malta1
    Must look into it, after all it's approx the same price as a new window..

Stapeler

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭madharry

Im not convinced you need to go and get a expensive reversing camera there was a carparking sensor in my camper when i bought it .It plugs into the cig lighter and there is 2 sensors on the rear the closer u get to something the louder it beeps i find it very effective .I do not know the price of it but it definately would not be as dear as a camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭chrisblack

Madharry is right - I just checked out ebay.ie - search "reversing sensor" - theres stuff there from as little as €7 - but watch out for the postage charges!!.

Chris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

fair point but a reversing sensor dosn't let you see the terror on the face of the car owner behind you when you have to parallel park into a tight spot:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

The parking sensor won't see people or tell you if your bike rack is about to hit something.

Also if you are changing lanes on a motorway you can use the camera as a rear view mirror too!

I've seen some rear view cameras/gps combos that look pretty nifty. Higher up on the budget scale though.:p

The one that Malta one gave a link for is a reasonable price I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭madharry

can the sensors not be attached to bike rack in stead of camper itself, my kit has 2 sensors i am told you can get more kits with more than 2

I have a wee 7" lcd TV that I used previously in my motorhome, I think I'll try set it up and pick up a small camera on Ebay.

madharry wrote: »
    can the sensors not be attached to bike rack in stead of camper itself, my kit has 2 sensors i am told you can get more kits with more than 2

Not really. If you attach them to the bike rack they wouldn't work if the bike rack was folded (they would be pointing up into the air).

Does a bike rack obstruct a revesing camera when there are bikes on it? Does anybody on here have that problem?

stapeler wrote: »
    I have a wee 7" lcd TV that I used previously in my motorhome, I think I'll try set it up and pick up a small camera on Ebay.

That should work a treat. Make sure you get a color camera to be extra flash!!:p

• Advertisement

Way too posh for me..... I was thinking more one of those discrete cameras, even those consealed in a screw head similar to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Screw-Model-Mini-Wired-Video-Color-CCTV-Camera_W0QQitemZ140177045839QQihZ004QQcategoryZ48632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and mount it into the bumper. With built in audio you would hear the shouting too as you reverse into something!!!!

Way too posh for me..... I was thinking more one of those discrete cameras, even those consealed in a screw head similar to http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Screw-Model-Mini-Wired-Video-Color-CCTV-Camera_W0QQitemZ140177045839QQihZ004QQcategoryZ48632QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and mount it into the bumper. With built in audio you would hear the shouting too as you reverse into something!!!!

That would work ok for looking directly behind but you wouldn't be able to see the corners of the van with a bumper mounted camera. It's always the offside rear corner that is most difficult to judge when reversing. Typically it's the most likely place to find damage too when you are looking at any van!!:D

Check out this site. Spotted it on another forum. Fairly good systems for ok prices. Shipping v good too.

http://www.in21now.co.uk/e_site/acatalog/copy_of_Rear_View_Cameras.html

Received this camera from China last week and checked it on the tv, excellent image for such a small item, about €20 total, Now I just have to get motivated to install it.

Received this camera from China last week and checked it on the tv, excellent image for such a small item, about €20 total, Now I just have to get motivated to install it.

Looks good. I see it's 9v. Are you going to use a transfomer to power it?

That looks pretty cool stapeler - or shall we call you 007 ??

What sort of monitor unit have you got to run it on???

Chris

I've a 7" lcd TV that I got from Maplin last year, I used it in the motorhome untill I upgraded to a 15" lcd. I've found a nice spot on the dash for it too..

Here is a camera I seen at a show in the US a few years ago. Note the exposes wiring between the mirrors Attachment not found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

How would you fit a camera to the roof (would give a better viewing angle I think) without risking water leaking in if you used screws etc? Or is there something like mastik you can get to just glue it on?

I've about 5 or 6 sensors on my bumper of my Ford Transit, they were there when I bought it 2nd hand, but apparently they cost about 1k to get fitted new from Ford:eek:

Silkaflex was discucced in a previous thread for sealing leaks etc. For what you're looking for on a transit I'd consider using Tigerseal, it sets hard and impossible to remove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cool thanks, and would it be ok to use that without screwing the camera down? So just put a blodge of it up on the roof, stick the camera onto it and walla, give it a while and it's done?

• Advertisement

just been scanning ebay.... do you think something like this would be suitable for use with a reversing camera..

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Philips-PET704-7-Portable-DVD-MP3-CD-Player-LCD-Screen_W0QQitemZ130179411667QQihZ003QQcategoryZ15055QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I thought I may be able to kill a few birds with one stone... plug in a reversing camera... let the kids watch dvd's on route... plug it in to the satellite system... play some music ??

Or - can you plug a reversing camera into a laptop... may be difficult to balance on dashboard... but could serve same function as above?????

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris,

I would go for a more practical permanent installation that swithces itself on the minute you select reverse with no messing about and can be used a s a rear view mirror. I had to reverse three times today in awkward spots/poor light. I could have done with a reversing camera.
    The one you are looking at on ebay would work but would not be the ideal solution. You will find loads of screens from 3.5" to 7" for little money on ebay that could be permanently wired in and mounted neatly on the dash.

I agree with Kol, find something that's permenantly wired. I do like those that fit on the rear view mirror or visor. If you want something posh check www.lidl.ie as they have a fancy stereo with screen but pricey and not really practical.
    The're so cheap these days, particulary a DVD for the kids. An option could be to get a DVD player with a second screen which could be dash mounted and dedicated to reversing.

I like the look of that Lidl headunit. Could work ideally for Chris for music, camera and dvd in the unit and by cable to the main tv. Plus with the remote it can be controlled from the back of the MH too.

http://www.lidl.ie/IE/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20080407.p.DVDCarRadio

Lidl have the DVD head unit again from next Monday.

Advertisement