Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tech Drawing

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Do ye draw the elevation for perspective directly above the plan??

Whenever I do it always ends up on top of the finished perspective drawing.

I love Earthworks!!! One of the easiest questions on the paper!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

Do ye draw the elevation for perspective directly above the plan??

Whenever I do it always ends up on top of the finished perspective drawing.

I love Earthworks!!! One of the easiest questions on the paper!

I wouldn't worry about the elevation falling on top of the perspective, and don't waste too much time on the ele. Theres no marks for it. Just draw enough to complete the plan, and to get heights, angles etc. It doesn't even need to be drawn in heavy. You can still get an A in perspective if you don't complete it, just do some of all parts/blocks of the perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Does anyone have the moethod for drawing the plane diretors for the hyperbolic parabaloid. You just produce a strike line as in the skew lines right?

shortys94 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the moethod for drawing the plane diretors for the hyperbolic parabaloid. You just produce a strike line as in the skew lines right?

Pretty much. Except the level line in elevation is on the ground (XY) then in plan the strike will be the Horizontal trace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

Then you usually have to translate it somewhere because they tell you the plane has to include a certain point, don't you? Unless I'm mistaken...

• Advertisement

Does that mean one or two of the lines in question will touch the xy line, then basically bring down a line parallel to the other line and where it hits xy line bring it down?
    Sorry if that makes no sense but its hard to ask in words.

starkinter wrote: »
    Then you usually have to translate it somewhere because they tell you the plane has to include a certain point, don't you? Unless I'm mistaken...

Yeah, that has been the case recently. But if you locate the basic VTH, you'll have most the marks.
    Does that mean one or two of the lines in question will touch the xy line, then basically bring down a line parallel to the other line and where it hits xy line bring it down?
    Sorry if that makes no sense but its hard to ask in words.

Yes, both lines will need to touch the XY line. Sometimes you will need to extend one onto the ground. e.g. point d in 2005

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

qwerty do you teach TG?

Yea I didn't realise that, regarding the 2005 solution, that he starts in the plan rather than the elevation to get the traces. Is that right?

Decerto wrote: »
    qwerty do you teach TG?
    I try.
    Yea I didn't realise that, regarding the 2005 solution, that he starts in the plan rather than the elevation to get the traces. Is that right?

Not sure what you mean starting in the plan?

Heres a clearer solution.
    2005 Hypar Part C.pdf

• Advertisement

Thanks but it states that you draw a line parallel to BC from A in elevation, do you mean plan? Because I don't see that line.

Nevermind, see it now, hidden.

Great solution, very clear, did you do it yourself?

Regarding continuing AD on to locate a point on the trace, that just the method whereby if the line hits the xy first in elevation or plan then you just draw a vertical down or up to meet other extension?

Sorry, again hard to ask a question through words I guess.

Would you by any chance have some of those solutions for the area questions and maybe conics or oblique planes?

Regarding continuing AD on to locate a point on the trace, that just the method whereby if the line hits the xy first in elevation or plan then you just draw a vertical down or up to meet other extension?
    You are probably referring to the likes of 2002. If the distance between the XY and plan was greater you would get a clearer understanding.
    Attachment not found.
    Would you by any chance have some of those solutions for the area questions and maybe conics or oblique planes?

Ah Areas (Geometrical Problems)... My favourite. I have a few bits on that, Shame it's gone from the New DCG course. I also have some of the Oblique Planes. Fraid I have nothing on conics.

Oblique Planes...
    OP 1999.pdf

OP 2001.pdf

OP 2002.pdf

O sorry, I didn't mean conics I mean't the locus of a circle, but now that I think of it I don't think its too bad, one of the easier questions sometimes.

I don't really have any year in particular in mind, but perhaps the more recent years, I just think that it would be good to have areas as a question if I need it.

I've studied theorems regarding the question on conics, but I just can't really get used to the question, so I'm planning not to do it. But regarding areas I find that I study the theorems but the question on dividing a shape up into different parts is difficult and although my book has a good few theorems in it I can't usually do those bits. I find the mean proportion parts fine, but again hopefully I won't need to try the areas question.

Geometrical Problems...

Geo Problems Formula.pdf

Geo Problems 1999.pdf

Geo Problems 2003.pdf

Geo Problems 2005.pdf

Now get back to studying

Thanks alot, the 2002 attachment isn't working though. But I'm pretty sure I know the method.

Thanks again.

O yea, you don't by any chance have the method on how to do the 2007 areas, rergarding the division of the shape.

Geo Problems 2007.pdf

Hadn't it done, so heres a rough drawing for you. The 2002 files opens for me :confused:

Edit: Just going thru a few questions here with a friend and realised I read the 2007 question wrong/didn't read it at all. :o

I used a square of 40mm side, but should have been equilateral triangle of 60mm side. Pretty much the same scenario.

Make sure you read the questions carefully tomorrow :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭life_is_music

Does anyone draw a border on the sheet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Does anyone draw a border on the sheet???

Waste of time I would imagine, unless you did it before the exam. Does everyone else line up all their sheets on top each other, and then take them off after finishing each question. If so, how many sheets should be set up?? I'd say 5 - 4 for each question and an extra one for Q1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 doc26

in q.1 do u go parallel or perpendicular to the true lenght for4 the first view u get? and what do u do after that view i.e do u go perp then parallel then perp etc. ??????:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭starkinter

doc26 wrote: »
    in q.1 do u go parallel or perpendicular to the true lenght for4 the first view u get? and what do u do after that view i.e do u go perp then parallel then perp etc. ??????:confused:

Look perpendicular to the line of intersection, then look along the line of intersection. The planes will then form that familiar X shape.

• Advertisement
Advertisement