Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3G iPhone Thread - [sourcing Qs / news about 3G iPhone here *ONLY* !!!]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

It took me one frickin week to break the screen on my 3g iphone!!

Thank christ for insurance.

Could be waiting a while for a replacement though.....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

how'd you break it?

Dropped it on the floor of the kitchen while i was making a cup of tea.

My heart sank with each bounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

is your insurance with o2 or CPW? let us know how you get on with your claim.

Since i got insurance from o2 after i bought the phone from CPW i'm not covered for the 1st 60 days. fingers crossed nothing happens with mine

The insurance is with O2.

I suspect i'll be waiting a while for a replacement. (Given current stock levels)

I haven't been paying insurance since March for no reason. They'll be hounded.

I'm going to ring the insurance co. in the morning to get a better idea of how things go before i go posting anything.

Will let ye all know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

This question might already have been covered but is there anyway to get additional calls or texts added to the tariff (buying text bundles etc) other than to move up a tariff?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can purchase text add ons but I don't know about call add ons (if O2 have any)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

phreak wrote: »
    is your insurance with o2 or CPW? let us know how you get on with your claim.

Since i got insurance from o2 after i bought the phone from CPW i'm not covered for the 1st 60 days. fingers crossed nothing happens with mine

I did the same but when I asked the lady in O2 customer services when did my cover begin she said immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

Does anyone know how to add new text tones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Samsung

digitaldr wrote: »
    I did the same but when I asked the lady in O2 customer services when did my cover begin she said immediately.

I was told 60 days when i got my insurance from o2 3 days after i bought the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

loads more games up now in the irish iTunes store inc. super monkey ball :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Hi folks, I've done a search and I'm probably blind, but this thread is really hard to use and the original iPhone unlocking thread seems to have died, BUT, can someone let me know if they've released the unlock of the 2.0 software update for the 2G iPhones??

And if so can someone link me up to the best one?

Thanks,

Ste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭druss666

how it going i bought an iphone got it unlocked so i can use me 085 chip no problems there its sim free now but i cant get on the net with 085 so i put in me 086 and i can only get on the net some times when i get a free wi fi like in town and even then i cant download most of the apps

what im looking for is the nes emulator or a snes one i have the nes file on the phone but any time i try to install it it say package download failed timed out of lost host even when im in town connected to a good wi fi can any one please tell me a way connect to the net from me iphone useing me pc or can i download the files from the net and install them on the phone any sites or anything would be great

I also have loads and loads of other files in the phone ebooks tweaks multimedia and i cant get them, downloaded either

thanks any help will be great i need it cause im felling like i got ripped

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The full stop and comma buttons on your keyboard appear to be broken, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Loads of Games now in the App Store. iPint is gas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭ACW

OgreSwamp wrote: »
    Just check other countries.

O2 Ireland has one of the best tariffs

I stand corrected, Thank you OrgeSwamp. (Also just did a wee calculation on much data I currently use on my P990i. less than 200Mb a month...)

:o (Is embarressed by his rash words)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 poukai

Yay, I found all the games this morning but for some reason couldn't access the appstore, says it's not working at this time... tried in several places doesn't seem to be a reception issue... maybe it's just too busy. The whispered word of "monkeyball" is sweeping round the office this morning !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Just wondering, has anyone got an iPhone anywhere in the last few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Dropped it on the floor of the kitchen while i was making a cup of tea.

My heart sank with each bounce.

Was the phone case-less I found with all my previous ipods that a case saved them from those really annoying/scary little drops

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

jcrowbar wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

Folks, I'm not making it up.

In the app store on the iphone, go to categories, and then into games. Even though the count says 0, there's about 10 there.

This is with an irish itunes account.

Yeah i never went into the category just took the main menu for its word stills says no games but there are in fact games there.

And there is a lot more than 10 now. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Hi there.

I have an iPhone that I bought in the states earlier this year. using ziPhone I unlocked, jailbreaked it and activated it. it's been working since since but I'd like to upgrade to the latest 2.0 firmware.

can i safely upgrade the firmware or do I need to restore the phone first? after this, would i then need to unlock and jailbreak it again, and are there any published tools to do this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

preilly79 wrote: »
    Hi there.

I have an iPhone that I bought in the states earlier this year. using ziPhone I unlocked, jailbreaked it and activated it. it's been working since since but I'd like to upgrade to the latest 2.0 firmware.

can i safely upgrade the firmware or do I need to restore the phone first? after this, would i then need to unlock and jailbreak it again, and are there any published tools to do this?

Thanks

Theres a tool coming in the next couple of days called pwnage 2.0 that will jailbreak and unlock 2.0 on 1st gen iPhones.

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭preilly79

Theres a tool coming in the next couple of days called pwnage 2.0 that will jailbreak and unlock 2.0 on 1st gen iPhones.

Cheers mate, and there's no implications for people who have unlocked using ziphone? no restore or re-virginise required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

Got my 3G iPhone today, o2 center in Waterford got in an order :D

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Villain wrote: »
    Woooo seriously??

You can't connect it to a laptop using bluetooth or cable and use it as a modem??

Jesus even my old 6310i can do that, might have to seriously reconsider buying it then, thats a huge drawback for me.

My Nokia E65 can do it so easily and speed is pretty good

One would hope that this omission can be overcome????
    Why would you not be able to use it as a modem
    Jeez, the cheapest brick you can buy these days works as a modem! Wonder what the logic is behind that one - "We do not want you using any other equipment - the iPhone will not be a slave device to a laptop"!!! ......... say it in a robotic monotone - sounds more convincing!!!:D:pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

My reading was that it would jailbreak, but not unlock. Caution required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

preilly79 wrote: »
    Cheers mate, and there's no implications for people who have unlocked using ziphone? no restore or re-virginise required?

Hmmm not sure. I'd probably restore it before using pwnage just to be safe.

This is a good resource.

http://hackint0sh.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=123
    TrueDub wrote: »
    My reading was that it would jailbreak, but not unlock. Caution required.

True but thats for the 3g model. preilly was talking about a 1st gen model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 corklegend

Got my 3G iPhone today, o2 center in Waterford got in an order :D

Yep me too. Got a 16Gig Black in Cork O2 shop Patrick St. Missed out last week, as was too low down the preorder list. Got a ring today saying they got a shipment yesterday and would i like one. Happy days. Asked in the shop and they said they got 20 8gigs and 11 16gigs. It's sincing right next to me as I type

• Registered Users Posts: 26,571 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

guys i totally mis the boat with this launch of 3g iphone couple of questions.

does the gps on maps work without EDGE/wifi/3g connection ie are the maps stored on the phone?

what's 3g coverage like, solid enough?

is the new speaker and microphone better for the ringer?

anyone know what the screw at the bottom is for, apple hate screws shown on outside of phones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Maps are just google maps ones so need wifi/edge/3g on. Screws help to hold case together.

3g coverage in Dublin seems ok. Never had 1st gen so can't comment on ringer

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement