Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Auto-subscription to a thread in which you 'thank' a poster

Options
  • 28-06-2008 6:34pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to auto-sub to a thread that I 'thank' a poster in if it were possible.

I think if you thank a poster you've enough of an interest in a thread to be subbed to it automatically. If this is possible would posters be in favour?

I've posted it here for feedback from users, instead of in Feature Requests as it may not be wanted.

Auto-subscription to a thread in which you 'thank' a poster?

Sign in to vote!
    This is a private poll: no-one will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

It'd have to be optional - It's very rare I use subscriptions on threads.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah I would use it. Have it like the thread subscription, where you can set it up to do nothing, subscribe, subscribe with email updates.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fajitas! wrote: »

+1

If you go into your profile you can see all the posts you've thanked. That's enough imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

First yay in the poll. :confused:

Support++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Likewise, I rarely ever sub to threads and even at that I rarely check those threads I've subscribed to.

That said, I could see how some people would like this as a feature, it'd be handy for those who use subscriptions and the like so I'd be in favour of it so long as it was optional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Theres no point as someone else mentioned ,unless you have 4000 posts thanked:eek:
    Subscibing would be easier for the site ,I'd imagine.

Edit : I'm not drunk btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Seriously, are you that f*cking lazy that a few extra clicks is too much for you to handle?

And yes, I am drunk. But still, there's no point. And it'll just be annoying to those who don't want to subscribe, to have to unsubscibe to threads they didn't want to subscribe to. And yes, I am too lazy for a few extra clicks!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Why do people subscribe to a thread? If you subscribe do you just get notification when someone posts in it?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Why do people subscribe to a thread? If you subscribe do you just get notification when someone posts in it?
    Yes you can but one of the reasons I do is to keep track of threads I've posted in, in forums I don't frequent much. Also they'll show up on this page.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subbed.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Ah OK. I thought it was just for notification (which would annoy me if the thread gets posted in a lot) but I guess it's handy for memorising threads.

I'd say No to auto sub though. There might be 200+ posts and you might only thank one (because it's a cat pic or something...)

Oh and AC I just clicked on that link and saw that I was somehow subscribed to a thread I started ages ago, without realsing it. :confused: strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,396 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

optional with a default set to Off.

Ah OK. I thought it was just for notification (which would annoy me if the thread gets posted in a lot) but I guess it's handy for memorising threads.

You can have it so that it sends you an email everytime that thread is posted in, email a summary of the thread every day, weekly summary of the thread or no notification.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

do people feel the need to see if someone has replied to their thanks?

why would anyone be interested in seeing if a thread you put thanks on got replies?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I may thank a poster for an informative, interesting post. I thanked him/her because the subject matter interested me. I may have nothing to contribute to the thread at the time so I move on. I don't always think of maually subbing, I'm not avoiding subbing due to lazyness, that would be fairly strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id like to thank myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Also they'll show up on this page.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/subbed.php

Never knew about that - thanks AC.

stevec wrote: »
    Never knew about that - thanks AC.
    Nay bother. Very handy page, I use it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I use my thread subscribscription emails all the time in work.

It means I can open emails instead of boards, read posts, and if I want to reply I click the link to the thread. Very handy.

I'd like this feature, but not if it doubles up on threads I've posted AND thanked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

-1 from me, I'm afraid.

I think a thanks is just a thanks, and can be given for any number of reasons, not all of which mean you'd like to see whatever comes after. Although if it can be done where it's optional and defaulted to Off then I'd have no issue.

BTW, is Boards set up so that you automatically subscribe to threads in which you post or is that customisable?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

nkay1985 wrote: »
    BTW, is Boards set up so that you automatically subscribe to threads in which you post or is that customisable?
    You can choose to have;
    1. No subs
    2. No email notification
    3. Instant email notification
    4. Daily email notification
    5. Weekly email notification

Look under 'Default Thread Subscription Mode';
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/profile.php?do=editoptions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I subscribe to 10 forums and that's all I need. If I was to be subscribing to every thread I posted or thanked in it'd wreck my head.

Maybe optional but it'll be permanently set to off for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I don't think this would be too helpful, and unless it was configurable in the CP, it could be a hindrance.

Subscribing to a thread may only be a couple of clicks, but you are bought back to the the first page of the thread afterwards, not where you were. Perhaps if you could subscribe to a thread with an AJAX call, it would be a bit easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

-1 I think it'd be a pain in the arse.

eoin_s wrote: »
    I don't think this would be too helpful, and unless it was configurable in the CP, it could be a hindrance.

Subscribing to a thread may only be a couple of clicks, but you are bought back to the the first page of the thread afterwards, not where you were. Perhaps if you could subscribe to a thread with an AJAX call, it would be a bit easier.
    But currently you can have it so that when you post a reply to a thread that you are automatically subscribed to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

But currently you can have it so that when you post a reply to a thread that you are automatically subscribed to it.

Yeah, I know - it was just a compromise suggestion between subscribing by replying like we have now, and subscribing when you thank someone as per the OP.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement