Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to Eircom Landline

Options
  • 19-07-2008 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭

Our Eircom telephone landline bills have rocketed recently. We don't use it much for calls and Internet but the prices go up and up. Cannot get mobile reception/3 Skype reception or broadband in my area so we cannot get rid of the landline.

Anyone know of alternative options to Eircom that are cheaper. Maybe a basic Internet package and cheaper calls, to mobiles especially. Also, is there any way of reducing our landline bill?

I would be interested in hearing other user's experiences using the likes of BT etc in comparison to BT in terms of reliability and price.

Thanks for any help. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

skyrocketed how exactly? just increased mobile calls?
    honestly, there's very little out there on mobile phone package offers. whenever you go for a bundle package you're mainly getting the deal on local and national calls and very little give on the mobiles. essentially the phone line will still be eircoms, but you'll be paying a new provider if you switch so you won't be able to get rid of the line rental unless you go for a wireless service. would you not consider using voip for phone calls? I don't have all the details on hand but you can get some good deals with voip.

prices are rounded and go peak/off-peak/weekend and are in cent per min

eircom rates for mobiles:
    Meteor: 26.83/18.56/14.52
    O2: 21.00/15.13/14.10
    Vodafone: 22.27/15.36/10.36
    3: no price, site outdated

perlico rates for mobiles:
    Meteor: 25.43/17.44/12.44
    O2: 20.99/15.09/13.38
    Vodafone: 26.00/15.29/9.99
    3: 25.43/17.44/9.99

bt rates for mobiles:
    For all operators: 20.00/14.67/9.33

BT have the better rates for mobiles, but I personally dislike them due to previous problems regarding billing and other various problems.

We have perlico in my home house, never had a problem with them.

Have Eircom both in work and in my apt. I'd be inclined to stick with eircom purely based on the line exchange upgrades they're doing for broadband. And they own your line, if something happens you get to go directly to them.

For instance, this week as it happens, my phone line went down (county council digging up roads), reported it to them Wednesday, turn around is 4 days due to "extreme weather conditions". Now my next door neighbour has just switched from them. He was aware of the problem much quicker than I was, and he reported it almost a full day before I did, but because he switched they wouldn't deal with him (he's technically a customer till the end of the month), and was told to report it to his new provider. They were out to me Friday, not to my neighbour however, no "report" of a fault from his side reported by his company :P
    Anyway to cut a long story short, they fixed it today, yes, a Saturday. Saw them up the road, working where the road was dug up by the council, big man hole tent setup :P and my neighbour told me it's back up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zeka

Advertisement removed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

zeka that makes absolutely no sense, and stop pimping your business here, read the charter

Advertisement