Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake tans unattractive?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Highly unattractive, I know girls who are very good looking with pale skin, yet they totally cover themselfs in this fake tan bollox and manage to make themselves quite manky.

Fake tan 4tl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

This is attractive:

anne-hathaway.jpgC55574~Rachel-Weisz-Posters.jpg

Nice, natural and pale skin tones. Not covered from head to toe in dirty looking orangey-brown gick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Dee369369

Fake tan can look good if applied sparingly and evenly.also i think alot of the guys here are putting everyone in the same boat referring to the girls who have really orange tan and often look and dance like "sluts" and are up themselves.rather then girls who apply it nicely and it looks natural and they dress well etc.
    If anyone has seen jenny frosts new show u will see why guys and many girls hate fake tan so much. there was one girl who applied st. tropez tan everynite (one of the darkest tan imo!) and got a spray tan once a week and did sunbeds! :eek::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

I've only seen fake tan applied properly a handful of times. Every other time it's either streaky/patchy or else orange because the girl wearing it slapped on more layers to cover up the streaks/patches. It looks terrible when it's wearing off too, all blotchy. There was a girl in our school who NEVER scrubbed hers off, she just kept applying more every day or two, she looked manky :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Anne Hathaway is weird looking.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭RetroRainbow

I think it's horrible.

Was partial to it when I was around fourteen, but with age comes sense, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tarky

i'm a guy and wear the gradual tanners and tinted moisturser on the face. Some people on here seem very ignorant. Alot of people (myself included) have to wear it to look somewhat healthy! My natural colour is pale white with pink undertones....this doesns't look attractive on a guy i'm sorry.
    I just use it to give myself some healthy colour and to tone down the redness in my face.
    And if i don't i'd look quite stupid here in australia during the summer, where everyone else is brown and i'm walking around with no colour at all. (we're talking no pigment what so ever....no thanks.)
    And if i met a girl and she found out and had a problem with it...then f**k her, she isn't worth my while.
    Now alot of people say just go natural....well, i think i'd get alot of "looks" going natural being so pale and having the blue veins visible all over my legs...yep, that's more attractive :confused: I'd be more comfortable with my pale skin if every single vein wasn't exposed....would girls date a guy that looked like that?? or would they take the slightly bronzed version?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tarky

Pale FTW....

stoyamed.jpg

that's not pale......that's like the colour i am AFTER i've applied the fake tan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

It's horrible. You're not that colour for a reason. What's even worse is when people wear it with ridiculously pale foundation..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ruthee wrote: »
    Orange, badly applied fake tan does look bad but in my opinion, a lot of girls out there that have a lovely natural colour, may have fake tan on too.It can be applied well and carefully to look natural. A friend of mine alays looks great and its fake but you defo cant tell..But as people with bad fake tan stand out for obvious reasons, there is a negative reaction from people. I was even watching that Denise Richards show today,(hangover tv at its best), stunning looking girl and not fake looking, but there she was getting a spray tan done. I know its Tv and all, but i was surprised, with her living in LA and that..

its the same with people who say they prefer the natural look, when in most cases its well applied make-up.

This discussion along with the no make-up look discussion is old. Badly applied fake tan and makeup is rubbish.End of.Move on.

Thanks, now please feel free to let me know if anyone thinks I am one of those people who 'think' they know how to apply fake tan, personally I believe I do know how and would have a hard time trying to live without it at this stage ...

Naked! ... Attachment not found.

Compliments of Johnstons holiday sun ... Attachment not found.

My 'Dark' look for special occasions (please ignore the crappy fake lashes though t'was just a lil experiment :rolleyes:...14431379a9636243662lv2.jpg

I'm not putting pictures of other people on boards but trust me I have pictures of me with my sisters from that night who never wear fake tan and they are still darker than me.

Okay i'll just prepare myself now for getting eaten alive! :D

• Advertisement

Ruthee wrote: »
    Orange, badly applied fake tan does look bad but in my opinion, a lot of girls out there that have a lovely natural colour, may have fake tan on too.It can be applied well and carefully to look natural. A friend of mine alays looks great and its fake but you defo cant tell..But as people with bad fake tan stand out for obvious reasons, there is a negative reaction from people. I was even watching that Denise Richards show today,(hangover tv at its best), stunning looking girl and not fake looking, but there she was getting a spray tan done. I know its Tv and all, but i was surprised, with her living in LA and that..

its the same with people who say they prefer the natural look, when in most cases its well applied make-up.

This discussion along with the no make-up look discussion is old. Badly applied fake tan and makeup is rubbish.End of.Move on.

Thanks, now please feel free to let me know if anyone thinks I am one of those people who 'think' they know how to apply fake tan, personally I believe I do know how and would have a hard time trying to live without it at this stage ...

Naked! ... Havanaghs2.jpg

Compliments of Johnstons holiday sun ... halloween 2006 020.jpg

My 'Dark' look for special occasions (please ignore the crappy fake lashes though t'was just a lil experiment) :rolleyes:... 14431379a9636243662lv2.jpg

I'm not putting pictures of other people on boards but trust me I have pictures of me with my sisters from that night who never wear fake tan and they are still darker than me.

Okay i'll just prepare myself now for getting eaten alive! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

Adren Junkie you look good without tan!

I gave up tan a couple of years ago, really hard at start but i would never go back now! My other half loves me paler, hates fake tan!

Linguo wrote: »
    Adren Junkie you look good without tan!

I gave up tan a couple of years ago, really hard at start but i would never go back now! My other half loves me paler, hates fake tan!

Thanks! But I think I look just a tad healthier with:p Plus it helps hide the big purple face that emerges after half an hour of dancing :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

I wear tan sometimes when going out, it depends on what i'm wearing really.
    It looks fine! it only looks fake if put on wrong.
    I get a spray tan done too for special occasions, that looks fine with plenty of moisturiser.

There have been occasions where people have asked me if i have been on holidays.

It can look nice if its done right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I wear fake tan and a lot of makeup because personally I am not very confident or pleased with how I look.
    It doesnt really help guys here putting up pictures of airbrushed, blemish free, 'pale' models and actresses that most of us haven't a hope of ever looking like.

Anne Hathaway is not 'pale' in the sense that most Irish people are. Most of us dont have this doll-like ivory,porcelain skin. We have lumps,bumps,visible veins with a blueish tinge to the skin.
    I tend to get a lot of spots and I have scars on my face from when i was younger. Fake tan does help to hide some of my so called 'imperfections'.

I think maybe for some people fake tan acts as a bit of a mask.You can not be truely confident in who you are If you have to change the colour of your skin. I dont think we should be ridiculing young Irish women for looking like 'ommpa loompa's'. We should question a society where women feel the need to spend hundreds of euro each year slathering themselves in orange goop in order to feel better about how they look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Pale FTW....

stoyamed.jpg

Airbrushed to hell. I watched a few clips of her just now and she doesn't look like that ... even before she's getting donkey-dicked.

Oh and to all the people who come on here and say "fake tan looks good on me because I apply it correctly" , stop kidding yourself. You're the female equivilant of a guy who wears a wig. You may convince yourself that it looks good & natural but you're not convincing anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If done lightly, they can get away with it sometimes, like when they''ve come back from a holiday in Spain. But putting it on in January, only for it to look patchy, is not only a turn off, but people will try to avoid touching you :D

Usually, though, they go overboard, and look like try-outs for the Oompa-Loompas in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

panda100 wrote: »
    We should question a society where women feel the need to spend hundreds of euro each year slathering themselves in orange goop in order to feel better about how they look.

No, women who feel the need to spend hundreds of euros each year slathering themselves in orange goop in order to feel better about how they look should question their own self-esteem, and put more effort into finding a real way to resolve their confidence issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭theo2008

I don't wear it, could not be bothered. And I think about 90% of women get it totally wrong when they apply it.

But there's nothing wrong with a light shimmer. Sometimes I use the Johnson's tanning lotion and that works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Real tan looks good. Seeing someone with weird orange chemicals on their body does not look good. It looks ridiculous!

I much prefer natural women who aren't pretending to be some kind of streaky orange mutant.

Real tan?? Eh skin cancer anybody?? Leather face by the time your 40?

Id rather fake it anyday!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

miss.lost wrote: »
    Real tan?? Eh skin cancer anybody?? Leather face by the time your 40?

Id rather fake it anyday!!
    And youd rather look slightly off-putting to say the least.

Any lad who would appreciate fake tan on you, is that the sort of person you play for?

And youd rather look slightly off-putting to say the least.

Any lad who would appreciate fake tan on you, is that the sort of person you play for?

Sorry but I dont quite understand your remarks?

At the end of the day its not right to brand all fake tan users as "oompa loompas" and "mutants". I use a tiny amount of fake tan to give a nice light glow in the same way as i wear minimal make-up to enhance my looks, mascara for example!

I for one do not have the money to treat myself to $400 a go facials, $1000 an hour makeup artists, and expensive designer clothes that 'compliment my skin tone' like anna hathway and such celebrities in order to look "natural".

But your irish. Your white. Your not from Argentina or Equador etc.

WHO expects you to be brown anyways? Do you feel it fools people? Why such lack of confidence in your natural looks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭theo2008

Whilst I mentioned above that I don't like fake tan and think a lot of people do it wrong, I'm finding it very amusing the way the guys are cracking on about how girls look better natural etc. They clearly have No.Idea. about girls and how they maintain their look; the process they go through with styling hair, filing shaping and polishing nails (hands and feet), the make up process and the amount of money spent on the make up products and brushes etc, body exfoliating and moisturising, shaving, waxing - It's exhausting!
    It's a whole other world. I'm a perfectly intelligent young woman, studying law and do very well in college exams, read the paper every day blah blah and am not a "fake wannabe" or whatever, yet I do all of the above. I also read beauty blogs most days (that is a bit sad I know:))

you could have just wrote the word 'typical'

But your irish. Your white. Your not from Argentina or Equador etc.

WHO expects you to be brown anyways? Do you feel it fools people? Why such lack of confidence in your natural looks?

I dont wear brown faketan, I wear the tiniest amount to simply brighten up my skin. Im not trying to fool anybody, and a agree that a lot of women and girls go overboard on the faketan and look brown or orange or patchy or whatever you wish to call it. I am not one of these people.I do not lack confidence i just dont like the pale blue tinge on my skin in the winter, come summer i will ditch the tiny amount i do wear as skin naturally brightens when you spend time outside in the fresh air.

Why do men wear gel in their hair? Because they like the look! Why do I have my hair cut short? Because I like the look! None of these things are "natural" but If we like how it looks and it makes us feel good then whats the problem?

miss.lost wrote: »
    I dont wear brown faketan, I wear the tiniest amount to simply brighten up my skin. Im not trying to fool anybody, and a agree that a lot of women and girls go overboard on the faketan and look brown or orange or patchy or whatever you wish to call it. I am not one of these people.I do not lack confidence i just dont like the pale blue tinge on my skin in the winter, come summer i will ditch the tiny amount i do wear as skin naturally brightens when you spend time outside in the fresh air.

Why do men wear gel in their hair? Because they like the look! Why do I have my hair cut short? Because I like the look! None of these things are "natural" but If we like how it looks and it makes us feel good then whats the problem?
    Hair cutting is natural, its simply maintenance - we're mo longer half man / half ape.

Gel? Yeah, I never wear it, I see it as the male equivalent of putting on make-up to be honest. I used to put some on when i was a young fella, but with maturity came the realisation that the vast amount of Irish people are very vain, and I, like others, looked like a ****ing tool with it on.

You say you use the tinyest amount in winter. Now - arent we suppose to look on the pale side during those few months? Why is it that you cant be yourself? Why the need for impression? You will be shunned for being an irish girl looking irish?

I still look pale in winter, im just no so pale that i look slightly blue! With the tan I Look as I would if I had spent an hour in my back garden on a summers dayin ireland, hardly radio-active!!!

Leif_erikson I understand what your saying but I think we should agree to disagree on this one!! To repeat I 100% agree that a lot of fake tan looks hideous, but it really isnt on to state that ALL fake tan wearers look awful!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

fake tan looks stupid on anyone. I find the orange people hilarious though cos they think their gorgeous. The x used to be slightly orange but not bad bad orange. She didnt like me saying it to her though. I think we need more oompa loompas around to point and laugh at, especially when they have peroxide heads aswell.

• Advertisement

[quote=Morgan Hallowed Mate; an irish girl looking irish?[/quote]

One more thing.... define "Irish looking"

oh and Seanybiker, not all fake tan is orange so how can u state that it looks bad on everyone?

Advertisement