Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake tans unattractive?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

As a rule, if a fake tan is noticeable, it's automatically unattractive and bound to look utterly stupid. Maybe girls can pull off a very light one that looks good without being obvious, I don't know.

Not sure why anybody would put this stuff on really - especially when they do a bad job and you can see patches of normal skin here and there, that's hilarious :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Sowra

its true that if you go more than a couple of shades darker it can look ridiculous, esp if there are old patches of it cos the person has just been putting layer over layer.

I wear it sometimes if im looking a bit too pale or tired as it can really even out your skin tone. I have 'typically irish' skin, and while it is a nice colouring and im definately not ashamed of it, there is nothing nice about red blotches on your arms and blue see through legs! so when i do have skin like that its nice to be able to sort it out because I dont consider sunbeds an option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Sowra

panda100 wrote: »
    I wear fake tan and a lot of makeup because personally I am not very confident or pleased with how I look.
    It doesnt really help guys here putting up pictures of airbrushed, blemish free, 'pale' models and actresses that most of us haven't a hope of ever looking like.

Anne Hathaway is not 'pale' in the sense that most Irish people are. Most of us dont have this doll-like ivory,porcelain skin. We have lumps,bumps,visible veins with a blueish tinge to the skin.
    I tend to get a lot of spots and I have scars on my face from when i was younger. Fake tan does help to hide some of my so called 'imperfections'.

I think maybe for some people fake tan acts as a bit of a mask.You can not be truely confident in who you are If you have to change the colour of your skin. I dont think we should be ridiculing young Irish women for looking like 'ommpa loompa's'. We should question a society where women feel the need to spend hundreds of euro each year slathering themselves in orange goop in order to feel better about how they look.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I've seen gingers wearing it! Do they expect people to believe the sun would do anything but burn them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I see these two oompa-lumpas on the way into work most mornings and it almost makes me sick to look at them. Two big fat yokes with orange faces all the way down to their double-chins but with stuck up noses like they're the belle's of the ball. One has her hair tied up in this strange bun like some sort of homage to the bride of Frankenstein but she's not the worse of the pair because the other-one has even dyed her hair blonde to go along with her tango, flab & tracksuit leisure look.

Suggestion #1 to all you fake tanners. if you're going to persist in deliberately trying to look like a bottle of lucozade then please at least don't have your hair dyed blonde because it just makes you look like a raving idiot.

The irony of it all is I can imagine this pair spending hours per day to establish and maintain this 'look'. They'd probably look better if they just fell out of bed ran a brush throught their hair and left the house that way.

You women really have it tough (mainly with yourselves & each other to blame, mind).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭ji

orange face and legs and snow white neck LOL fake tan=:eek:

Pigman II wrote: »
    Suggestion #1 to all you fake tanners. if you're going to persist in deliberately trying to look like a bottle of lucozade then please at least don't have your hair dyed blonde because it just makes you look like a raving idiot.
    And also, try not to overdo the orangeness, Japanese style:
    YaManba_girls.jpg
    My god they look stupid. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

zynaps wrote: »
    Not sure why anybody would put this stuff on really

Its because they're not happy with themselves. They have a complex about how they look. Most Irish people have it. We're a bunch of people who bow to easy to societies pressures.

Its because they're not happy with themselves. They have a complex about how they look. Most Irish people have it. We're a bunch of people who bow to easy to societies pressures.
    Of course, this is true - we all have insecurities and weird issues about how we look. The problem is that putting orangey fake tan on only makes things worse. Kind of like burning your house down because you don't like the colour of your front door (but eh... not quite as extreme).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Fake tan is rotten when taken to the extremes some girls do nowadays.
    poster above doesnt look to bad but its not great either and still looks fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

oppiuy wrote: »
    Fake tan is rotten when taken to the extremes some girls do nowadays.
    poster above doesnt look to bad but its not great either and still looks fake.

In what way does she look fake? if you passed her in the street you wouldn't know the difference and you are only making yourself look like an idiot pretending you would!
    Femmy wrote: »
    Attachment not found.

This is me with tan...
    do i look like an oopa loompa?
    Kudos to you for having the courage to put yourself out there (meaning on this thread)!

In what way does she look fake? if you passed her in the street you wouldn't know the difference and you are only making yourself look like an idiot pretending you would!

Kudos to you for having the courage to put yourself out there (meaning on this thread)!

Because its clearly a rusty coloured skin, calm down mate,idnever look like an idiot...well unless i wore fake tan that is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I've used fake tan only twice and I'm 26 (the last time was 4 years ago)- I'm really pale so it just looks ridiculous one me and I can't be bothered with the maintainance once it gets all patchy etc. I think it can look good on some people when it's only a golden glow but the tangoed look is stupid!

And sorry if i offended you femmy, it wasnt my intention

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

oppiuy wrote: »
    Because its clearly a rusty coloured skin, calm down mate,idnever look like an idiot...well unless i wore fake tan that is

ah come on..rusty coloured???
    I am still pale in that picture, compared to people with natural tans and fake ones..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Bottom line - those who use it are insecure, and have a massive complex about their looks.

those who dont, i say fair play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I actually think its not that bad, i like girls who take pride in their appearance. A dash of fake tan is alright but not too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭acontadino

swedish girls are like that as well. most of the girls dye their hair blonder as well.

i guess its a whole western world thing, well northern hemisphere pale thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tarky

Bottom line - those who use it are insecure, and have a massive complex about their looks.

those who dont, i say fair play.

what if you had rosacea leif? Would you want to be pale and have a purplely/red smear across your face or a light fake tan and some concealer to cover the redness. I'd rather not have to do it, being a guy but i have no choice. I have to wear concealer and fake tan, so what! The light tan helps even out my skin so it looks less red, and it still looks natural because i have dark brown hair (not ginger/ultra fair). And in the end, the tan makes me feel better about myself and able to enjoy life more. I'd like to get the tan naturally, but my face flares up in the sunshine so it's no use.

Just remember that and don't be so ignorant and quick to judge.

Fact is, some people need to do it to look somewhat normal. And if done properly fake tans look totally natural. I don't see that problem with them when done correctly and not overdone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭miss.lost

tarky wrote: »

Just remember that and don't be so ignorant and quick to judge.

And if done properly fake tans look totally natural. I don't see that problem with them when done correctly and not overdone.

Here,here!:D Again Leif erikson for your benefit, I am not insecure about how i look I use minimal fake tan because I, like the way it looks, i could go without it but i chose to wear it as it enhances my look, same reason as i get my eyebrows waxed or paint my nails.... Are they a crime too? Does having pink nails or non-bushy eyebrows make me " not irish looking" (which by the way you still havnt given a definition for) and insecure??

miss.lost wrote: »
    i could go without it but i chose to wear it as it enhances my look, same reason as i get my eyebrows waxed or paint my nails.... Are they a crime too? Does having pink nails or non-bushy eyebrows make me " not irish looking" (which by the way you still havnt given a definition for) and insecure??
    Fair enough, and it's your life so you don't have to satisfy anybody else's ideas. But where do you draw the line? Fake tan ok, pink nails ok, eyebrow waxing ok... what about a nose job and fake boobs? What about getting your legs broken and reset to be a bit taller? At what point does it start to become ridiculous? At what point do people start turning into cartoon characters? :o
    This is a judgement call which is different for everybody of course, but going as far as plastic surgery is akin to wearing a big painted mask, IMO (I must stress, when there's nothing wrong with you already - I can understand when someone is badly scarred and wants to do it to overcome a huge insecurity that people can't avoid staring at).
    I certainly think the trend (especially in the US) of getting breast implants when there's nothing wrong with your existing pair is nonsensical and IMO makes them look stupid and shallow. Plus I suspect that most guys don't like massive unrealistic breasts.

In South Korea, 30% of women between 20 and 50 have gotten plastic surgery at least once - getting wider eyes (:confused:), whiter skin and nose jobs mostly. That said, men apparently make up 15-20% of clients for plastic surgery so it's a widespread thing there.
    Imagine going to a place and thinking that of the faces you see, a third of them are fake. Isn't that kind of disturbing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually use a light tanner starting from May until the autumn and get some subtle highlights too during the summer. Terrible being milk-bottle white when you go away on your hols!
    During the autumn/winter/early spring I leave my hair at its natural dark blonde and my skin pale because it's the winter. I just like brightening up a bit during the summer. :)
    (I also shave my underarms and legs which I assume is a huge turn-off for all the fellas on this thread who like the 'natural' look.) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 murnettie

Hi ther

For those insecure people(hee hee) and anybody is interested in having a spray tan done in the comfort of thier own home, send me a pm.

Im in the Dublin northside area and will call to your home ( i have a pop up tent that i bring with me) The tan i use is fake bake which is a lovely natural looking tan Cheers

Advertisement