Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My eircom.ie horror story

Options
  • 13-09-2008 3:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

There are major inconsistencies between how eircom's online ordering says it operates and how it actually does. I have been on the receiving end of a heap of problems because of this.

It all started last month. After a year of relying on the 3 data modem I decided to get a phone line installed in my flat so I could get real broadband. I went on to eircom.ie and saw that I could order the new line and a broadband connection all at once. I went through the online form and, since the "earliest" connection date would have been while I was abroad, I chose to be connected in early September. I got a confirmation e-mail giving me my account numbers and telling me that the broadband order will be processed as soon as I'm connected and then the modem will take 2 weeks to come.

About a week later, shortly before my family and I left, I wake up to find a voice message on my moblie saying I've been connected and my phone number is such and such. I thought it was pretty cool that it was ready early (this was a good week and a half before the earliest listed date) but even then the confirmation e-mail said it'd be 2 weeks until the modem came and I wouldn't be around. I arrived back this week to find no modem (this was 3 weeks ater connection) and called up customer service. Here is what I found out:
    • You cannot order broadband at the same time as a new phone line, despite eircom.ie OFFERING YOU INCENTIVES to do so. I actually redialled customer service immediately after I was told this to confirm it!
    • I could not order it now as my account was "inactive". I found out later that this was a nice way of saying disconnected.
    • It was disconnected because my connection fee had not been paid in time.
    • To reactivate it, it would cost ~€200!
    • Then, I'd have to call eircom to confirm I had paid!
    • I would be reconnected in 2-3 hours.

So, not only does the website give you an offer that doesn't exist (although, thankfully, you aren't charged for it), but it will ignore any request to push the connection date later and charge you extra if you had to push it later because you wouldn't be there to pay! :(

As soon as I'm reconnected I'm going Smart Telecom.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Complain to ComReg. They probably will do nothing of course, but put it on record - and get as many of your friends and family to move from eircom as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Xavier77

I have the number here, but they are closed on Saturdays. :/

I still can't get over calling up to confirm you've paid them. What is this, the '80s? If it happened to someone else I'd find it hilarious.

Advertisement