Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pulse Security - Trouble

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

RonanAndo wrote: »
    I'm a Glenomena resident and I've had some problems with the Pulse Security Guards as well.
    One of them sexually harassed my girlfriend when she was walking to my flat on her own late at night, he wolf-whistled at her and made some comments about her breasts. She was clearly very distressed when she arrived at my place, I went out to have a word with him but he had moved on. She didn't get his jacket number but she drew a sketch which I have scanned and attached below

I'm curious to know from the OP if it is the same guy

Attachment not found.

This is serious, report them.

Im rarely on the belfield campus but from what Ive been reading on boards and in the observer these security guards are more of a threat to the safety and security of students that any form of protection.

If they are as bad as they seem they need to go. This is the type of issue Id like the SU to tackle...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

Lastly, any complaint you make could result in a working man losing his job, all over a few scratches
    Any complaint would be investigated and if they lose their job over it then obviously the investigation would have decided that they acted inappropriately. To not report this would only lead to the possibility of further incidents.

I wasn't there and i don't know really know what happened but if you feel they were out of line then report it and let their superiors handle it.

B-K-DzR wrote: »
    Any complaint would be investigated and if they lose their job over it then obviously the investigation would have decided that they acted inappropriately. To not report this would only lead to the possibility of further incidents.

I wasn't there and i don't know really know what happened but if you feel they were out of line then report it and let their superiors handle it.
    I couldnt agree more. If I was in a restaurant and the waiter spilt wine on me or something I might not complain if they were very appologetic or looked over worked or something, but security staff assaulting and sexually harrassing students is a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭MistressPandora

Whoa, stall on for a moment here.
    You say you were assaulted by security? What are you doing complaining on boards about it? If you're that upset about it, go make a proper complaint to the people who can actually do something about it.

Honestly, I do often wonder about some of the students who go to UCD. The future leaders of our country? Oh dear!

the OPs question was who does he complain to and, I inferr, what are his rights.

• Advertisement

What about going to ANY reception in most of the buildings and asking them for a phone number or email address?
    Or checking their website?
    http://www.pulsesecurity.ie/
    There's all sorts of info right there.

In case you're wondering how I got that, I just googled pulse security.

Or, what about even making a complaint at a Garda station?

As for the OPs rights, surely if security are abusing their power, he has a right to go and complain about it.

What about going to ANY reception in most of the buildings and asking them for a phone number or email address?
    Or checking their website?
    http://www.pulsesecurity.ie/
    There's all sorts of info right there.

In case you're wondering how I got that, I just googled pulse security.

Or, what about even making a complaint at a Garda station?

As for the OPs rights, surely if security are abusing their power, he has a right to go and complain about it.
    You didnt understand the OP's post and you didnt understand mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

MuddyDog wrote: »
    Ok, I'm a final year student and last Wednesday night had an incident with two Pulse Security guards that were patrolling the Merville Campus. I reside in Glenomena and me and two of my friends were walking towards Roebuck Halls through Merville. We had a bottle of wine that was half full and we even bothered to put the corkscrew back in it so that we couldn't have it taken from us as technically it wouldn't be open.

Anyways....as we were walking by Merville accomodation two of the guards approached us and tried to grab the bottle from us without any prior warning. My friend who was carrying the bottle shielded himself by turning his back to them and passed the bottle onto myself. At this point the other guard basically rugby tackled me and managed to cut my arm in 3 locations. I believe he did this with a set of keys that he was currently holding. It is my belief that they were about to go off duty and get into their car and go home. I managed to hand the bottle of wine to my other friend who then fled the scene.

My point is that surely I can report these two guards for personal assault as they injured me and the bottle was not even open. They were just on a power trip in my honest opinion. I have attached a photo of the cuts that this security guard inflicted upon me.

What should I do to try and bring this to higher powers attention???

Thanks.

With all due respect if you are claiming you were assaulted then you should have contacted the Gardai at the time of the incident.

I would be curious to know why you did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Whoa, stall on for a moment here.
    You say you were assaulted by security? What are you doing complaining on boards about it? If you're that upset about it, go make a proper complaint to the people who can actually do something about it.

Honestly, I do often wonder about some of the students who go to UCD. The future leaders of our country? Oh dear!

Whoa...get off your high horse. Just because you're not a student, there's no need to go criticizing the OP

fullstop wrote: »
    Whoa...get off your high horse. Just because you're not a student, there's no need to go criticizing the OP

Her point is very valid. Why is he on boards having a moan, when he could be doing something that would mean that this incident would not be repeated with another student?

He can contact the company in question and lodge a complaint, he can contact the PSA and lodge a complaint, he can contact the Gardai and report an assault.

He didn't do any of this.

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Dragan wrote: »
    Her point is very valid. Why is he on boards having a moan, when he could be doing something that would mean that this incident would not be repeated with another student?

He can contact the company in question and lodge a complaint, he can contact the PSA and lodge a complaint, he can contact the Gardai and report an assault.

Why?
    Maybe he wants people to be aware of this problem and to steer clear of these thugs, rather than the hassle of taking it higher

Why?
    No, instead he went looking for the details of who to complain to. Strangely enough not everyone knows everything.

The OP didnt know for sure if there was grounds for complaint and who to complain to. Now the OP does, and hopefully now they'll take the matter further.

Seeking info was the right thing to do.

Maybe he wants people to be aware of this problem and to steer clear of these thugs, rather than the hassle of taking it higher

Then i assume that contacting someone in the college, the SU , the company, the Gardai or the PSA would do a much better job than starting a thread on boards which only a certain percentage of UCD students will read?

It was the same when i was in UL, everyone would bitch and moan down the pub or on the forums but not actually inform the people who needed to know so that a positive change might happen.

OP, i would advise you to take a further course of action and inform the relevant bodies what occured. I would then make it known around the college that these avenues are there for people who may be on the receiving end of the poorer element of your security services.

The only way to get these changes to occur is to put a bit of work in.

The OP didnt know for sure if there was grounds for complaint and who to complain to. Now the OP does, and hopefully now they'll take the matter further.

You have given some fantastic advice but i find this very hard to buy.

He claims he was assaulted. The first thing that should have come to mind was the Gardai.

I don't see how any person , anywhere, could be assulted and not instantly think to report it to the local police?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Petrolium Hat

Cant believe you posted a picture of what can only be described as tiny scrapes, that you could have got from having a showerhead too powerful. They're security, you should have given them the bottle and said "look it's sealed". They would ahve handed it back. If you didnt start throwing it around im sure there wouldn't have been hassle. Your (childish) actions lead to this. Yeah they might have been overexuberant but throwing a wine bottle from one of yez to another would have made yez look guilty as sin.

Dont be ridiculous.

You have given some fantastic advice but i find this very hard to buy.

He claims he was assaulted. The first thing that should have come to mind was the Gardai.

I don't see how any person , anywhere, could be assulted and not instantly think to report it to the local police?
    TBH I wouldnt even consider the gardai, Id go the civil route and have my solicitor contact UCD, thats the great thing about discussion - you get different options.

one reason I wouldnt contact the gardai, under these circumstances, is because I simply dont think the OP has a strong enough case.

TBH I wouldnt even consider the gardai, Id go the civil route and have my solicitor contact UCD, thats the great thing about discussion - you get different options.

one reason I wouldnt contact the gardai, under these circumstances, is because I simply dont think the OP has a strong enough case.

Good point, although there is the simple fact that reporting the incident adds a decent level of legitimacy to it from my experience.

The first question i would ask myself if looking into this complaint would be "why no formal record of the incident".

I'd say the same about anyone in this case.
    You get assaulted, you should make a complaint. Simple as that.

Good point, although there is the simple fact that reporting the incident adds a decent level of legitimacy to it from my experience.

The first question i would ask myself if looking into this complaint would be "why no formal record of the incident".
    You're right about that

I'd say the same about anyone in this case.
    You get assaulted, you should make a complaint. Simple as that.
    The complaint wouldnt be very successful if you complained to the wrong person about the wrong thing in the wrong way.

Step 1: Get informed
    Steo 2: Make a complaint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Cant believe you posted a picture of what can only be described as tiny scrapes, that you could have got from having a showerhead too powerful. They're security, you should have given them the bottle and said "look it's sealed". They would ahve handed it back. If you didnt start throwing it around im sure there wouldn't have been hassle. Your (childish) actions lead to this. Yeah they might have been overexuberant but throwing a wine bottle from one of yez to another would have made yez look guilty as sin.

Dont be ridiculous.

Showerhead too powerful.......riiiight.

We didn't throw it around. We passed it on to each other while saying it was closed and had a cork in it. You're assuming we were acting childish when we were not. Assumption is the mother of all fu*k ups.

And thank you to everyone for the informative replies I have received. At this point I'm still not sure whether I should report it or not. Don't know if the hassle of it all is really worth it. Really just wanted to see if I had a case and if it would be succesful and the channels I could go through for it as it is Pulse security working for UCD and not some random mug on the street. The cuts will heal with time. At least I have brought this to other people's attentions and everyone will know how these security guards can behave without any provocation.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Loco

MuddyDog wrote: »
    And thank you to everyone for the informative replies I have received. At this point I'm still not sure whether I should report it or not. Don't know if the hassle of it all is really worth it. The cuts will heal with time. At least I have brought this to other people's attentions and everyone will know how these security guards can behave without any provocation.

Were there any cameras in the area?

A few emails/letter/SU visit is all it takes.

You got rugby tackled to the ground for carrying a bottle of wine? You were hardly going to bottle them were you...? Report the thugs, injury or no injury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I'd report them, if it prevents any more of this it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Report it to the SU at least. I've just sent one regarding something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

If they are as bad as they seem they need to go. This is the type of issue Id like the SU to tackle...
    +1. People are great at moaning but there seems to be a few too many complaints regarding this crowd for it to be just moaning. In three weeks I've heard more about Pulse than I heard about ISS in three years.

Wow, I just agreed with you on something union-related. Maybe we should celebrate with a bottle of wine :p

Astro hall, tonight, there is a society event involving alcohol I will definitely be attending, bottles of wine will be flowing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Astro hall, tonight, there is a society event involving alcohol I will definitely be attending, bottles of wine will be flowing...

I wouldn't go associating myself with that lot, now... Dodgy 'oul bunch at the best of times :P

They're not that bad, I hear they were worse 2 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

passive wrote: »
    I wouldn't go associating myself with that lot, now... Dodgy 'oul bunch at the best of times :P

Dutch Soc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

While we actually only have one side of the story, I do think that a complaint should be made to UCD; try going to the SU first, and then they may be able to point you in the right direction to a 'higher' level. While I do believe there are wrongs on both sides (I can kinda see where security were coming from, but how they went about it was wrong), it's better that you report it to somebody and have a record of it, rather than let it go and then if it's mentioned later have 'why didn't you mention it before?' thrown in your face. In addition, injuries could be worse next time.

While I haven't been around UCD too much at night this year yet, my experience of the security around UCD isn't great. I actually don't trust them at all. In fact, I'd rather have drunken male students walking around campus than have security near me. As a female student, I've actually taken to driving into campus if I know I'm going to be around after dark (even though I only live 25 minutes walk away!); I just don't feel safe. I have to go out the Clonskeagh gate and even though there is a much better security presence around there at night, I just don't feel safe walking out on my own.

Advertisement