Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever taken Ecstasy / MDMA?

• 27-09-2008 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

I'm sure we all realize the close history electronic music and Ecstasy / MDMA have shared, but let's find out some statistics.

Have you taken / do you take MDMA? 495 votes

Yes, several times
    0% 0 votes
    Yes, once
    90% 446 votes
    Never
    9% 49 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

this is a pointless thread to be honest.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

This thread has got a very valid point.

What do you find pointless about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Seems kind of pointless to me in that it is just illustrating what we all already know...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Most of us.... but lets spell it out for the others...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

ive been into dance music since i was around 12.
    been djing since i was 16.ive never taken yokes.actually never done any drug.
    which alot of people find strange for some reason:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

some people stick them up their arse. i prefer to stick them up my mickey. straight to the tummy like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

some people stick them up their arse. i prefer to stick them up my mickey. straight to the tummy like.

You must have some ****ed up skag the next morning :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've got a friend from Yorkshire who sticks them in a syringe and injects them into his mouth...

He calls it "E by gum"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

i blame drugs on my warped sense of humour. i mean like i find this funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-tlqP1BPbE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

i blame drugs on my warped sense of humour. i mean like i find this funny http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-tlqP1BPbE

That's dire.

Yeah mdma/pills etc are a part of dance music. I think I know one person thats into dance that doesn't/hasn't taken them.

But you and everyone else know that haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

as above, of all my mates that are into their dance music only one of them doesnt do them.

good for him, but i cant justify seeing a dj and not gettin off my tits haha

Meh.... I wouldn't have to drop just cos I'm at dance gig. If they're there they're there. I'm more there to see the dj then as a reason to get ****ed.

They can ruin a good night too. Had to leave Justice, who I'd been dying to see for months cos I got bogey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭DUB1

WINNERS DONT TAKE DRUGS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

Yeah, you dont have to be mush to enjoy a dj gig, but it certainly helps. I'm not on about taking 6 or 7 yokes and getting cabbaged, just one to get you on the buzz. Each to their own and all, but that's muy opinion of it.

Not everyone can be a winner.

I definitely don't agree with the people you see mashed outta their heads, jaws on the floor and sweat pouring off them. If your gonna do them, know your limit...

I'd do them the odd time, I used to do them more, but I grew out of the phase... "I'm out of it, are you out of it, how many did you take, i took loads" kinda thing

There's no cause for the people you see messed up, they can't be enjoyin themselves, and the point of playin 20-30 quid to see a dj is to see the dj haha and remembering it would also be a bonus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

Zascar wrote: »
    This thread has got a very valid point.

What do you find pointless about it?

this thread is pointless in the dance and electronic dj'ing section of a public forum. the term apples in an orchard springs to mind to be honest.

why mdma? so what if people have. whats it going to achieve by putting a poll on it?

Most of us.... but lets spell it out for the others...

why? as said this is a dance and electronic dj'ing section of a public forum.

if you want to spell it out, what goes on then why dont you go into the after hours forum and put a thread, sorry poll up asking how many people have stayed up for 2/3 or more days doing mdma or whatever else they could get there hands on? the amount of sessions going on in this country on sunday afternoons is something the public might have an interest in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,497 ✭✭✭francois

DUB1 wrote: »
    WINNERS DONT TAKE DRUGS

Only users loose drugs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Where is the option for "thousands of times" for veterans like myself, f*cking kids thesedays haven't a clue about real drugs

NAH NAH SEANNASH/JSUITED MUGS:pac::D:D:D:D

ANYWAY in all seriousness, yes of course ive taken Ecstasy thousands of times i couldn't possibly put an exact figure on it almost as many times as Dub1 has:p:D i haven't taken an E now in a long time as i cant be dealing with the comedown,etc anymore, i prefer to dabble in MDMA Crystal thesedays on occasions that's really the only narcotic im interested in, coke in this city is rubbish of the highest order yet everyone still shovels this crap up their nose:rolleyes:

I find coke to be a fairly pointless drug... i mean the price youre paying for the effect it has is ridiculous. I mean if your given 20 quid to spend on a night out... 20 euro worth of coke would barely give you a buzz, wheras 4 pills or a shoulder and some mixer would have you fairly sorted for the night

Me being a giant hypocrite i dabble in it when its free, but i definitly would not be shelling out hundreds of euro on the stuff. Plus the stuff you get over here is dirt anyway

• Advertisement

I find coke to be a fairly pointless drug... i mean the price youre paying for the effect it has is ridiculous. I mean if your given 20 quid to spend on a night out... 20 euro worth of coke would barely give you a buzz, wheras 4 pills or a shoulder and some mixer would have you fairly sorted for the night

Me being a giant hypocrite i dabble in it when its free, but i definitly would not be shelling out hundreds of euro on the stuff. Plus the stuff you get over here is dirt anyway

big time, i wouldn't mind but charlie was decent enough in Dublin circa 1998, it's when it became widespread every cu*t started taking it and the quality went rapidly downhill, best stuff i ever took was in New York City on Paddy's Day 2001, blew the head off me,amazing stuff it was,i was talking absolute sh*te to a load of American mots for hours on end, they probably thought i was insane:o:D used to get decent stuff in London too,but thesedays you need to go a long way to get some good stuff, although like yourself if someone chops out a line ill most probably take it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

down with this sort of thing.

......any yokes ?

FATHER_TED_Down_with_this_sort_of_t.jpg

Yokes for the win haha

IT'S FEEDING TIME :pac::pac::pac::D:D:D:D

ecstasy_pill_collage1.jpg

They're bloody horrible on the comedown though. I've wished death on myself many a weekend morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭pad180

GetAttachment.jpg they make them like they used to :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Yeah, you dont have to be mush to enjoy a dj gig, but it certainly helps. I'm not on about taking 6 or 7 yokes and getting cabbaged, just one to get you on the buzz. Each to their own and all, but that's muy opinion of it.

ah yeh, i wouldoften go out tripod or whatever and just take one if im already fairly drunk.

the days of going out and doing 6 or 7 were left back in the crypt in the temple theatre!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Zascar, did you edit my post/poll and spell ecstasy wrong?

Bleedin' druggies....
    Táck wrote: »
    this thread is pointless in the dance and electronic dj'ing section of a public forum. the term apples in an orchard springs to mind to be honest.

Some guy was getting all hot and bothered in the thread about MDMA hopefully becoming a Class B drug in the UK, acting as though people in this forum were all angels and didn't touch the stuff. I decided to get some vague stats.
    Táck wrote: »
    whats it going to achieve by putting a poll on it?

Not a whole lot. Is that a problem? I was under the impression that this was a light-hearted discussion forum, not the ultra-serious forum where every single post/thread/poll must be carefully deliberated upon. I'll be sure not to create any more polls in future, unless they pertain to the improvement of the human race.

Sorry lads, please close the thread/poll, as it doesn't live up to Táck's quality control. I'll make sure to run any potential posts by him in future before posting. :(

FruitLover wrote: »
    Zascar, did you edit my post/poll and spell ecstasy wrong?
    Yep just to avoid any confusion between pills & mdma
    I'm sh!te at spelling lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

Yep just to avoid any confusion between pills & mdma
    I'm sh!te at spelling lol

dude you were quick gettin home. i'm only in the door. nice meetin ya in person btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

stupid thread, also, I didn't get into dance because of drugs, I just loved it.

people from all walks of life do E, get over it.

Jay D wrote: »

It's not a thread, it's a poll. Plus no-one said anyone got into "dance" (whatever that is) because of drugs.

• Advertisement

Jay D wrote: »

people from all walks of life do E, get over it.
    Why the hostility man, its only a discussion?

As I've already said I was hugely passionate about music long before I new anything about drugs. However it can not be denied that drugs are the main reason for introducing a large portion of the clubbing community into dance music. Personally I think that is a good thing.

tman wrote: »
    I've got a friend from Yorkshire who sticks them in a syringe and injects them into his mouth...

He calls it "E by gum"

:D:D

Very good!

Incidentally, not sure why there shouldn't be a thread about drugs, particularly mdma or e, in a dance music forum. Of course its not for everyone - and I would say its hard to beat a few drinks - but the two are fundamentally linked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭RaverRo808

My opinion on this and all drugs really is as follows:

I have taken yokes,coke etc etc,but have to say at the time was very immature and my memories of those times areant happy ones,very skinny,spots all over my mouth,constant depression and panic attacks,I wasnt in great state of mind anyway and didnt care that they were Fu*king up my body and brain,

Now I have everything to live for,and my opinions totally changed,to me drugs are pointless,a waste of money and a societies biggest problem,
    Im not contributing my moneys,to people robbing Grannies house's to feed their habit,ruining familes,dozens if not hundreds being shot over pills and powder(this isnt hysteria it really happens)

Anyone wants do them I have no problem,each to their own,just I dont want my heart to explode or end up with manic depression from too much E's

E doesnt make the scene,you dont need be out your bin to enjoy some good tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The_Tempest

I don't think i want to do them. I'm going to Crockers in spy on friday hopefully, with Justice and Pendulum lined up but all i need is some drink! Not interested in yolks. Heard too many bad stories and seen to many people eat the jaw off themselves!

drugs shmrugs.

Alcohol's a drug. Caffeine's a drug. Nicotine's a drug. Solpadeine is a drug (which works as a quite effective stimulant by the way - just be careful the active ingredient is codeine which is an opiate)

The demonisation of illegal drugs in the 20th century was very much promoted by the emergence of regulated pharmacy as a commercial entity.

The tabloid media love a bit of moral outrage about anything. It was ecstacy in the 90's, it's now paedophilia and footballers sexual deviance (dogging etc.).

The mathematical probability of dying from taking ecstacy alone (not the overheating etc.) is so slim that it would be considered negligible if it were sold as a prescription drug.

The reason I don't mess with them now is simply my head chemistry is very very vulnerable to depression (i have been very ill before with it), and i don't want to mess with the balance. It's the same reason I rarely drink.

On a more personal level, I don't mind people on pills at all. It's far worse when they're hammered drunk or coked up to the eyeballs.

As far as the correlation between dance music and ecstacy goes:
    Yes they are linked inextricably (although not as heavily as in the past).

But alcohol is linked with rock n roll, and traditional irish music (when was the last time you were at a trad session or rock gig and there wasn't alcohol being consumed in unhealthy amounts by the majority of the crowds?)

And reggae is linked with Cannabis.

So different music is linked with different drugs. And unfortunately the one dance music is associated with is illegal and demonised by certain elements of the media.

Not a big deal really. Don't know why people have such moral convictions about certain drugs and not others.

If you want to look at a highly dangerous drug that kills millions every year, costs the health system unbelievable amounts of money, and encourages violence amongst other social problems, look at alcohol.

But I can have the odd night out, get fairly hammered, not end up in a fight, and everything is fine. Just like other people can go out, take a few pills, have a great time, and get up the next morning and go on living life.

Just because a moronic government tells me what is legal and illegal, doesn't effect the morality of the consumption of ANY drug.

• Advertisement

if im honest im actually surprised to see so many havent taken it.
    i thought that would be a much smaller number

seannash wrote: »
    if im honest im actually surprised to see so many havent taken it.
    i thought that would be a much smaller number

ah 80% sounds about right to me. also i think that people that into dance music enough to be posting about it on an internet forum would have been around it a lot over the years, so the chances of them never doing it are quite low.

the figures in the poll do not indicate that at any given event 80% of the people there would be taking pills.

At the gig I was playin on Saturday I don't think I saw more than a handful of people visibly ourra der heads. And i would have expected to see a lot more. Times are changing though. There are a lot of people into dance music right now who only drink and seem to have a bloody great time.

I think a very destructive force in dance music is Cocaine. Just because I don't like being in a room of people believing their own bull****. I'm no angel when it comes to these types of things, but I'd rather see smiling faces, people hugging and having a great time than egotistical cokeheads dissappearing to the toilets every ten minutes.

Agreed. I saw a Lot of note touching and sniffing on saturday mate, mostly girls though... Not a fan of it at all myself, turns people into obnoxious wank3rs way too often.

jtsuited wrote: »
    ah 80% sounds about right to me. also i think that people that into dance music enough to be posting about it on an internet forum would have been around it a lot over the years, so the chances of them never doing it are quite low.

the figures in the poll do not indicate that at any given event 80% of the people there would be taking pills.

At the gig I was playin on Saturday I don't think I saw more than a handful of people visibly ourra der heads. And i would have expected to see a lot more. Times are changing though. There are a lot of people into dance music right now who only drink and seem to have a bloody great time.

I think a very destructive force in dance music is Cocaine. Just because I don't like being in a room of people believing their own bull****. I'm no angel when it comes to these types of things, but I'd rather see smiling faces, people hugging and having a great time than egotistical cokeheads dissappearing to the toilets every ten minutes.
    agree,cocaine is rampant over here.ive never had a problem with yokes.it is a bit funny to see people who have clearly taken too many but if you know your limit(like anything i suppose) it can add to a good night out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

seannash wrote: »
    agree,cocaine is rampant over here.ive never had a problem with yokes.it is a bit funny to see people who have clearly taken too many but if you know your limit(like anything i suppose) it can add to a good night out

That's an important point that never gets echoed in "public" debates on radio etc.

Ecstasy is the same as alcohol in the sense that you can have a fantastic night out as long as you don't overdo it. If you do overdo it, sure your body could react badly, but most of the time you'll just end up looking like a tit and on some DJ's dvd box artwork.

Cocaine is another thing altogether... The effects are very different, though I wouldn't necessarily object to someone taking it, if a friend asked some advice I'd advise them not to take it on a night out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Trying MDMA was actually a turnpoint in my life. I learnt how much I could enjoy myself on a night out, before then I didn't know how to enjoy myself or how much I could actually just talk to a stranger. This isn't the case for everyone but that state of ecstasy was just eye opening. I don't feel like I need drugs to have that kind of good feeling now but I did at that time. I've only taken them enough times to count on both hands and I in no way crave them.

If someone offers me pills, I probably won't, if someone has some mandy... Yeah go on so.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Was big into drugs in the early to mid 90's but pretty much gave up class A's in around 1997 - the odd flutter since but otherwise just like a spliff these days!

Have no interest in cocaine - did it a good few times alright but each time wondered why I bothered. Won't even take it for free now!

When E meant a white dove in say around 1994 when for me techno was really peaking in clubs such as the Temple of Sound, you couldn't beat the atmosphere of a couple of hundred people off their heads and giving it socks to someone like Billy Nasty. Coke or alcohol could never come close to that amazing feeling. I do miss that but I know it can't be had again :(

RaverRo808 wrote: »
    Im not contributing my moneys,to people robbing Grannies house's to feed their habit

Have you ever heard of anyone turning to granny-robbing to feed their ecstasy habit?
    Kold wrote: »
    if someone has some mandy... Yeah go on so.

Haha, go on my son
    Felixdhc wrote: »
    I do miss that but I know it can't be had again :(

Not true. You just don't find it in Ireland that much anymore.

Felixdhc wrote: »
    Have no interest in cocaine - did it a good few times alright but each time wondered why I bothered. Won't even take it for free now!

What is it with cocaine use in this country in recent years? I can honestly say that even around a small town in the South of Kerry I have seen use go through the roof. One local pub smeared bleach on the toilet and the amount of locals who came out with a dose of streaming eyes was amazing.

Whats the selling point? The users become boring, or some of the drunker ones get a little bit bananas. Who has told people its clever or cool to use this utter ****e? I just can't see the angle in it, its the most pointless craze in a long time. Jesus, drink yourself into the gutter, at least its sociable. I'm pretty open minded, each to their own, but I'd just love to catch coke takers and shake them and tell them don't believe the hype.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

FruitLover wrote: »
    Not true. You just don't find it in Ireland that much anymore.

I will never find that anywhere again, believe me. You cannot replicate the feeling of the early honeymoon period with E and the whole scene back then - for me it was the transition from being p*ssed and stoned in the likes of the Zoo Bar, The Grove and the odd bout of knacker drinking for good measure on to amazing music, quality drugs and a complete new social scene... oh and youth of course. Nowhere in the world will bring that back those early days, not a chance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement