Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meet my little kitties, and my 26yr old cat

Options
  • 04-10-2008 12:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

A few have asked me for the a picture of my 26yr old cat now that I know how to my camara has problems so here go's.
    This is Missy my 26yr old cat see is only starting to show her age the last two yrs.

Attachment not found.
    037.JPG
    040.JPG
    039.JPG
    035.JPG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

26?!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭karlr42

In human or cat years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BlackCat2008

God you's are quick I'm still editing the thread.

26 in human yrs vets reconned she was about 6-7 yrs when I got her and sent her in to be neutered and she's been with me 19yrs now. She went deaf about 11/2 yrs ago and she recently had her check up which I call her birthday as well to keep count she's in very good health for her age just have to keep watch on her eye's for cataracts he can see the beginning of then there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

A few have asked me for the a picture of my 26yr old cat now that I know how to my camara has problems so here go's.
    This is Missy my 26yr old cat see is only starting to show her age the last two yrs.

Attachment not found.
    037.JPG
    040.JPG
    039.JPG
    035.JPG

26?!

Is that dog years or human years?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

God you's are quick I'm still editing the thread

26 in human yrs vets reconned she was about 6-7 yrs when I got her and sent her in to be neuter and she's been with me 19yrs now. She went deaf about 11/2 ago and she recently had her check up which I call her birthday as well to keep count she's in very good health for her age just have to keep watch on her eye's for cataracts he can see the beginning of then their.
    that is pretty impressive...:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

She looks amazing! lovely cats, you're obviously a great owner for her to be so healthy :)

Here' Annamo you can't see them in the picture and I'm waiting on some to be developed but he has an extra toe on every foot that make his front paws look like monkey feet.

016.JPG

Angel simply because she is one, I tuck her of the roads of Wexford before she was killed.

024.JPG

Jassie boots is a sweet heart. Found in a s.c car park were a lady was going too reverse over him till I stop her.

034.JPG

This is Gizzmo mammys one and only mammys baby he is blind and vet says he may be able to see shadows in the remaining ey, this is what happens to cats with enlarged hearts (give your cats lots and lots of turkey every day to help provent this it is more comman than I even new until he had it.

025.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

:eek::eek::eek:

I didn't know cats could live that long. Well done on keeping her in good health :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

26!... She doesn't look a day over 24 :pac:

TBH I don't think Missy getting to this age is anything to do with me, I think her lifestyle and eating habits are mostly to do with it if anything, when she came in she followed my first ever cat Baby (big Ben) up the hall and got under my cabinet were I had pet mice, she spat and hissed and throe at me when I tryed to get her out, and Baby stayed with her the hole time, I left food out for her, and brought in baby's bed from the kitchen so they could share it, two days later she got into the bed and had four kittens, and yes they all looked liked Baby, she was fine with me then, I was on crutches at the time and had only started rescuing, Baby slept in with her and the kittens every chance he could get he loved them, like he understood they were his, except when they tryed to feed of him, he was Hugh Probably the biggest cat I ever had and the two of them went in together to be neutered as soon as Missy was ready, sadly the vets made a mess of Baby and tuck away to much skin???? a second opinion confirmed this, he was in agony and nothing could be done for him and we had to have him pts.

She is a purebred Burmese cat and not the first I've had come into me at that age ready to have kittens and two other rescuers in the area have had the same type cats, so the believe at the moment and for many years is they are coming of some sort of kitten farm as such, I've never been able to pin them down, the last cat was a Havana, again 6-8 yrs old.

Missy is a great hunter the beat I've ever seen, and she did eat what she caught as well as she eat at the chipper every night lots of chicken the owner love's her and four other houses in the area, I had this stopped when she was about 18 as she was getting Hugh and stopped hunting which showed there was problems, she became allergic to flea bites which would bring on cistitis, Thanks to strong hold she hasn't had it for years and other than that or vac's she's never needed to see a vet. I think it's all down to her really she only ever came home when it was going to rain. But as a house cat the last two years I can see this hasn't been good for her, I know she's bright but she can't hear so it's to dangerous for her to go out, and thats her little story.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭mary123

What a beautiful cat. Well done for takeng her in and giving her a great life. Hopefully she will have loads of yrs left.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Beth

26 :eek:
    Thats fab :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

26!!! Ubelieveable, that must be a record. The oldest cat i ever seen was 20 and i thought that was impressive!

I know of a 22 and 23 yr old cats but I don't think she's the oldest, check the GBR later on to find out, because she's not with me from birth I can't prove her age for the GBR can't even prove she's 19 the vet that made a mess of her mate baby lost her records and all the rest but for the one's that passed away under his care when he was updating his writen files to computer. ejit.

She does give me a fright every now and then as she can't hear I panic when she doesn't move and have to go poke her to make sure she's still alive, thee pictures don't do her justice so hopefully the one's being developed will come out better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Is there any cure for cats eye cataracts? Amazing age for a cat too. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

26!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

I have a 15 year old and I really hope she lives that long... I reckon she will, just to spite my dad... he's the one that's in charge of the poop scooping ;)

As fare as I'm aware it's the same op as with humans, I've seen it done on telly on an eagle as well so I don't think it will be a problem to op but at her age she will have to under go test on her kidneys, liver and heart first to make sure she in good health to go ahead with it. I've already made the decision that I will not put her through anything that might cause more harm or stress her out, it wouldn't be fare on her.

I do panic if she doesn't move as she can't hear me and I have to go poke her to make sure she's still alive from time to time, she's had a great life up till now and has been admired far and wide, so I'm hoping she'll pass away in her sleep when the time comes.

I've been researching food lately and the only advice I can give on her living so long is that she eat what she caught, which means she's been on a high protein diet all her life till she became a house cat two years ago, now I'm only realising I have to change the diet she's on to keep her going, in the last two years she has gone deaf, lost a fang and her coat matts from the root up and recently you can tell from the pic's her eyes have become sunken. From what I understand a cat should by on a diet the consist of 85% meat, 15% plant and veg fats and 5% carbs, most foods in shops and vets are just crap, they don't need and in many cases are allergic to cereals, wheat, beet and corn and these can cause serious health problems. They also ONLY contain 4% to 14% meat mainly animal derivatives which means you don't even know what meat, at the moment there on 45% meat till they a just to it then I'll put them up to 65% and then hopefully 80% meat meal food and so fare so good it has made a big difference so hopefully it will improve double fold when I start them on the higher one.

Oldest cat ever was 38 and 3 days old owned by the same owner who held the previous record for oldest cat. born 6 Aug. 1967 died 6 Aug. 2005.

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/search.aspx?txtsearchstring=pets

Advertisement