Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official bitch about daily life in UL

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Millea123 wrote: »
    My struggle is next year living in UL & cycling to LIT every morning, anyone wanna help me out? DM i need answers is it worth it?

Sorry I never replied to your PM way back.
    It's a 30min cycle from Elm Park to LIT using the cycle path by the river - that's with a good racing bike also, probably longer if you don't invest in a good bike.

Whether it's worth it or not, I'm not sure. Next year I'm planning on moving into the city because the cycle just isn't worth it on wet days. If it's your first year I'd suggest just living out by LIT, you'll make new friends easy.
    Plus it's mush easier to cycle to your friends at UL 1-2 evenings a week, than it is to cycle to LIT and back probably at least 4 times a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Millea123

Cheers for the reply man, I'm livin' in College Court and I won't be cycling i'll be driving so it's worth it i think, living in lit not sure don't want to branch out yet.. I've a few more question's can you answer for me? dm me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Is parking the same at weekends as it is during the week? Are staff car parks opened up to the public?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

alroley wrote: »
    Is parking the same at weekends as it is during the week? Are staff car parks opened up to the public?

As far as I know most of the staff parking space is open to the public during the weekend. I think parking near the Sports Arena Bar is pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Lads anywhere in the Main Building I could go tomorrow to take a phone call? Have a lab so I'll have to pop out. Suppose the stairwells are the best bet, just wondering can anyone think of anywhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Why doesn't SAA answer the phone? I'm trying to get a transcript (graduated 5 years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭iamyourending

Why doesn't SAA answer the phone? I'm trying to get a transcript (graduated 5 years ago).

Guessing you got sorted with this since, but it's virtually impossible to get SAA on the phone most of the time.

I had to request a transcript a few weeks back, the instructions are online on the alumni site. Turns out you have to request it in writing with your details and post it to the SAA along with a personal cheque for €10. Who needs online banking... :rolleyes:

On the plus side, they said it'd probably take 4-5 weeks to get to me but it arrived after 4 days, so at least that.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Guessing you got sorted with this since, but it's virtually impossible to get SAA on the phone most of the time.

I had to request a transcript a few weeks back, the instructions are online on the alumni site. Turns out you have to request it in writing with your details and post it to the SAA along with a personal cheque for €10. Who needs online banking... :rolleyes:

On the plus side, they said it'd probably take 4-5 weeks to get to me but it arrived after 4 days, so at least that.

I'm not sure if it was because of the course I did or whatever, but I got a copy of my transcript online for free through digitary.ul.ie

iLaura wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it was because of the course I did or whatever, but I got a copy of my transcript online for free through digitary.ul.ie

Yeah you're right, digital copies can be gotten for free online but if you need a stamped hard copy on official transcript paper etc then you need to request one from the SAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

You can also ring them and request a copy which means you don't have to write a letter, and you can give your card details over the phone :)

• Advertisement

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    You can also ring them and request a copy which means you don't have to write a letter, and you can give your card details over the phone :)

That's handy to know if I ever need another copy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

Has anyone had a result end up being wrong? I got a very surprising one (in a good way) and I'm scared it's wrong!!

alroley wrote: »
    Has anyone had a result end up being wrong? I got a very surprising one (in a good way) and I'm scared it's wrong!!

I wouldn't bitch about that.

Lecturer could have invoke the use of the curve ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Lads anyway to access results if your results are blocked due to fees not paid

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Do people at the coop office usually not bother sending replies to emails or is that a sign of me being ignored/lost in the inbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Anyone know when the undergraduate timetables for this year will be released?

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭SecretsOfEarth

Anyone know when the undergraduate timetables for this year will be released?

No set date afaik, the FAQ's on the timetable website say it will be available one week before the start of term, so sometime around the end of August/start of September I imagine.

Would love to see it ASAP, if only to complain/rejoice about it! :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 teaplease2

Hi, Im just after joining boards.ie and discovering this thread.
    Im struggling at the moment with regards to doing an FYP or not. Im studying business so we have a choice to do it or not, can someone give me more information about doing FYP, where to start, own experiences, benefit of doing it? Im aware it won't be an easy minor compared to others but Im thinking it might make me stand out to employers when I finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Whats your alternative to doing a FYP?
    Mandatory for me in my course.

What I will say about FYP is preparation is everything.
    Try to be as sure as you can be about the topic, the question you want answering and how you plan to answer it.
    Treat is like you would an essay in regards to planning, lay out foundation question, perform a kind of spider diagram as to what needs doing to test hypothesis, research methods you'll be using, sources you'll be tapping, whether you'll be conducting qualitative or quantitative research or using said data.

Coming from someone who could and should have prepared a lot more, it will make your life 1000X easier 6/7 months down the line.

I'd issues getting a supervisor and didn't get one hammered down until Christmas. At this point I'd 3 drafts for 3 different FYP's written up and in the end he told me what we should do so I'd to start from scratch again.

To summarize, it should be treated like a 100% of module project except is's actually 200% so give it even more time.
    I finished my project a few days before submission day meaning the last few days were spent proof reading. Realistically you should give yourself a few weeks to proof read as I spotted a few things I'd rather I had took out altogether and re-wrote but couldn't due to time.
    If you're good at preparation, time management and like writing and researching, I'd definitely recommend doing an FYP. That said I don't know the other option but assuming it's something of similar difficultly or two separate modules instead, I'd definitely do the FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭nim1bdeh38l2cw

Lads anyway to access results if your results are blocked due to fees not paid

Pay your fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 NoraG

Anybody on this thread that took the Master in Taxation? Just need to know how many days as I need to plan around work

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Does anyone know when the c&s recruitment drive is on?

Gael23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when the c&s recruitment drive is on?

Wednesday the 12th apparently.

Awh this is very quiet this year...
    Wheres the banter and outrage about no more Christmas Days!
    I never went to it but it must mean something to someone!

Awh this is very quiet this year...
    Wheres the banter and outrage about no more Christmas Days!
    I never went to it but it must mean something to someone!

Outrageous! No Christmas Daze?

I ought to come here more but I switched course so had fun getting that done, coop interviews and stuff (nobody seems overly interested in me but oh well). A lot of personal stuff going on but I suppose uni is a good time to "reinvent" yourself. Just haven't had a lot of time to talk here and seemingly nobody else has. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

roddy15 wrote: »
    Just haven't had a lot of time to talk here and seemingly nobody else has. :P

And the rest of us have to censor ourselves for political reasons.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

roddy15 wrote: »
    I ought to come here more but I switched course so had fun getting that done, coop interviews and stuff (nobody seems overly interested in me but oh well). A lot of personal stuff going on but I suppose uni is a good time to "reinvent" yourself. Just haven't had a lot of time to talk here and seemingly nobody else has. :P

No one was interested in me for coop interviews either so I organised my own :D

YFlyer wrote: »
    Outrageous! No Christmas Daze?

End of an 8 year run I think,
    Closing down Stables and Scholars early that day too so there won't be an imitation attempt either..
    Had to find out on Facebook!

• Advertisement

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    No one was interested in me for coop interviews either so I organised my own :D

Nice to see Coop office is still top notch! :D
    Sorted first half myself, got second half through them a week before exams I think... Cut it fine but got to go to Seville :D

Advertisement