Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom are Thugs

Options
  • 14-10-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

A few years ago I decided to make the switch from eircom to perlico, This was when perlico were first starting out so I was a bit hesitant but the money I would have saved gave me the extra push since eircom showed no signs of even trying for value.

For a few months it was all going great, perlico provided excellent service.
    This was all brought to a halt when some boy racers crashed into a telephone pole on my road and broke the line. I rang perlico and they told me to ring eircom, eircom then told me that it was perlico's problem.
    Eventually I go through to an eircom reprisentitive who said that they will be fixing the line in the coming week.
    A month passes with no phone or internet, I was still getting phone bills too.
    Two months pass and my patience was wearing thin.
    After two months all eircom customers on my road had had their phones reconnected and mine was still left dead. I was constantly being told to talk to someone else about it when I rang either eircom or perlico.
    Eventually I gave in and changed back to eircom. My line was fixed in a matter of days.

I figured this was a once off until last august I decided to change to vodafone since I use alot of broadband and they had a far better package.
    Literally the week I the changeover happened my phoneline began going mental, there were crackles too loud to make out anyone talking, the phone would randomly go dead, the dsl would die, the internet would disconnect. It is now mid october and this problem persists. (I've has to reconnect my broadband twice whilst writing this post, and I'm quite a fast typer)

Its gotten to a point where I can't even ring customer services because all I'm told is to turn my router off and on again and If it reconnects I can hardly hold on the phone until it dies again.
    My next door neighbors who are on eircom have working broadband and a perfect phoneline (well, as good as you'll get in Ireland)

I'm trying to figure out if this is just a huge coincidence or if I am genuinely right in assuming that eircom are taking the easy way out of competition?

Anyone else have any similar stories that have happened to them?

I would also like to just point out that when the broadband does work, vodafone landline gets some sweet speeds :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

It is Perlico's business to report the fault on the line they rented from Eircom. Perlico do not seem to have been pressurising Eircom on your behalf on this one. Eircom had no business talking to you, unless to arrange access to your premises or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Seems like a very big "coincidence" that your phone line has stopped working when you changed over. Even if your broadband stops working and you plug out the router and plug it back in again, tell them there is a problem with the crackling line, etc. They should fix that, but if it took them 2 months to restore the service to everyone after it went down, I wouldn't hold your breath. Sounds likea shocking service.

I would NOT pay a bill or line rental when the service isn't working

It was Perlico's problem to put pressure on them to repair the line. They are renting it from Eircom, so its their problem. You shouldn't have to talk to Eircom about it at all.

At least you can talk to people at these places, have you ever tried to ring UPC? They leave you on hold for 30 mins or so, and then disconnect you....repeat process over and over until you talk to someone else, who will transfer you to a different department, so you repeat the process again.

Advertisement