Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland National Anthem

Options
  • 25-10-2008 12:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭

Ok, i dont know where else to ask this but im curious.
    Why doesnt Nrth. Ireland have its own national anthem? God save the queen is played at e.g Nrth Ireland soccer matches.
    Scotland and wales have their own........... so why not the north?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Why doesnt Nrth. Ireland have its own national anthem? God save the queen is played at e.g Nrth Ireland soccer matches.

Edited: After seeing the heading.

It's very odd when Northern Ireland play the likes of Scotland away. Really strange to see the Scots booing GSTQ.

I think Norhtern Ireland will get its own Athemn. It wont be Danny boy though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

How can it have a national anthem when it is not a nation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

I myself find GSTQ a joke, what else could a hymn to an hereditary monarch and self styled defender of the faith asking a supernatural being to protect her so she can reign over her subjjects be ?

Maybe the Sex Pistols version of GSTQ be played instead ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

ardmacha wrote: »

is there a difference between Wales and Northern Ireland??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

ardmacha wrote: »
    Perfectly accurate.
    Wales is a principality, whereas N.Ireland is neither a principality nor a nation. It is two thirds of a province.

At least the Welsh can sing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Yes, Wales isn't split between two communities with separate political views on how they want to be ruled and who by. I doubt a national anthem would suit both communities. What language would it be in? What would it be about? The unionists will want to keep GSTQ and the nationalists will want to keep Amhrán na bhFiann. Not to mention, the North isn't a nation.

That's the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

smcgiff wrote: »
    It's very odd when Northern Ireland play the likes of Scotland away. Really strange to see the Scots booing GSTQ.

I thought it was only the England Football/Rugby teams that had Hi-jacked GSTQ - complete madness one part of the UK using it as 'their' Anthem - Northern Ireland & England should have their own Anthems (unless its a full UK team) in which case GSTQ is fine, may I suggest 'Oh Danny Boy' for N.Ireland & 'Jerusalem' for England.

But whats the Story with the Scots booing GSTQ? does that really happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It does happen

'And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush. God save the Queen'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Allah Hu Akbar

Camelot wrote: »
    But whats the Story with the Scots booing GSTQ? does that really happen?

You seem surprised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It does happen

'And like a torrent rush, Rebellious Scots to crush. God save the Queen'

There's about 50 verses to GSTQ, that is about verse 3 I think. One which is not and as fars as I am aware, has never been, used. Maybe you could translate the Soldiers Song or us so we can see how peace loving the Itish National Anthem is? (If you know the words that is, half the country don;t seem to.

Anyway, I'm with Camelot on this, i would like to see NI drop it as well as England. I much prefer Jerusalem as an England National Anthem. Id also like to see England have an English patron saint as well, not just one we time share with the Poles, Russians, Germans and Milanese.

BTW, the Cardiff fans booed it at Wembley this year as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Maybe you could translate the Soldiers Song or us so we can see how peace loving the Itish National Anthem is? (If you know the words that is, half the country don;t seem to.

So you think trying vainly to disparage the Irish national anthem will change the words of gstq ?
    To be honest dude, you're not doing yourself any favours by posting crap like that. At least A Dub in Glasgow posted factual information. You're just making up stuff.
    Personally, I don't think N.I. Should have it's own anthem because it's not a seperate nation, simple as that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

There's about 50 verses to GSTQ, that is about verse 3 I think. One which is not and as fars as I am aware, has never been, used. Maybe you could translate the Soldiers Song or us so we can see how peace loving the Itish National Anthem is? (If you know the words that is, half the country don;t seem to.

Anyway, I'm with Camelot on this, i would like to see NI drop it as well as England. I much prefer Jerusalem as an England National Anthem. Id also like to see England have an English patron saint as well, not just one we time share with the Poles, Russians, Germans and Milanese.

BTW, the Cardiff fans booed it at Wembley this year as well.

A lot of national anthems have violent lyrics-America and France for example. The difference is the violence in GSTQ is directed at a part of the union its supposed to represent.

And yes I know Amhrann na bFhiann in both langauges.

Maybe you could translate the Soldiers Song or us so we can see how peace loving the Itish National Anthem is?

Well in fairness, Amhrán na bhFiann is a song that illustrates the fight for independence. If England had of giving us our independence peacefully - then I'm sure it would have been called Amhrán na gCraic.

At least it's about our country, and not about some tattered old, outdated concept like the Queen.

You seem surprised?

Yeah, I am surprised that 'some' Scots boo God Save the Queen, seeing as Lizzy is partly Scottish, with massive Scottish family connections, she Loves Scotland & she resides in Scotland a lot of the time!

Anyway - GSTQ should not be used by Northern Ireland or England, it does not belong to them in isolation, & the use of GSTQ by (N.I & ENG) is leading to other parts of the UK booing their own Anthem :confused:

Yeah, I am surprised that 'some' Scots boo God Save the Queen, seeing as Lizzy is partly Scottish, with massive Scottish family connections, she Loves Scotland & she resides in Scotland a lot of the time!

Well - Maybe because she's a tax-soaking, outdated concept? Maybe they'd rather have an anthem that went beyond the scope of one individual woman, that highlighted Scotland's role in the world instead of some old hag?

Lucky for you that you finished off that rant with a questionmark - otherwise you would be heading for the Tower :) by the way, its only some Scots who boo their own Anthem (probably some Celtic numbsculls)?

by the way, its only some Scots who boo their own Anthem (probably some Celtic numbsculls)?

Ah yeah, it must be the celtic numbskulls. Or maybe.. Maybe even, one of the many people who voted for the SNP - The largest party in the Scottish parliment? I mean, god forbid that they object to a song which completely disregards their culture and country and in turn, is about a woman who has accomplished absolutely nothing in her life?

Where are you from by the way Camelot? Just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

An anthem for the artifical gerrymander that will most likely no longer be in existence in a couple of decades anyway. Why bother?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,203 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Lucky for you that you finished off that rant with a questionmark - otherwise you would be heading for the Tower :) by the way, its only some Scots who boo their own Anthem (probably some Celtic numbsculls)?

You come across as very patronising

Some Scottish people do not think it is a good idea to be in the Union and some of them object to GSTQ because it offends Scottish people. Some of them even have the temerity to object to the whole idea of a monarchy!!

You can stick to your petty name calling though

I didnt mean to be patronising, I thought the 'Smiley' would convey some humour into the Thread!

• Advertisement

Sure you didn't.

tallus wrote: »
    Maybe you could translate the Soldiers Song or us so we can see how peace loving the Itish National Anthem is? (If you know the words that is, half the country don;t seem to.

So you think trying vainly to disparage the Irish national anthem will change the words of gstq ?
    To be honest dude, you're not doing yourself any favours by posting crap like that. At least A Dub in Glasgow posted factual information. You're just making up stuff.
    Personally, I don't think N.I. Should have it's own anthem because it's not a seperate nation, simple as that.

calm down mate, I'm not disparaging the Irish national anthem, shacklebolt got it right below.
    A lot of national anthems have violent lyrics-America and France for example. The difference is the violence in GSTQ is directed at a part of the union its supposed to represent.

And yes I know Amhrann na bFhiann in both langauges.

Like I said, its not part of the anthem that is ever used
    dlofnep wrote: »
    Well in fairness, Amhrán na bhFiann is a song that illustrates the fight for independence. If England had of giving us our independence peacefully - then I'm sure it would have been called Amhrán na gCraic.

At least it's about our country, and not about some tattered old, outdated concept like the Queen.

Oh, Please:rolleyes:

You come across as very patronising

Some Scottish people do not think it is a good idea to be in the Union and some of them object to GSTQ because it offends Scottish people. Some of them even have the temerity to object to the whole idea of a monarchy!!

You can stick to your petty name calling though

Notice that they don't ask the English if they want independance? there is probably a larger percentage of "Nationalist" in England than there is in Scotland or Wales.

I can't wait for the day that England is free from its Scottish overlords:D

An anthem for the artifical gerrymander that will most likely no longer be in existence in a couple of decades anyway. Why bother?

Why not?

what's it got to do with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The same could be asked of yourself.

Hagar wrote: »
    The same could be asked of yourself.

Of what?

I fail to see how or why the future of the queen is of any concern to the Irish in the south.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Of what?

I fail to see how or why the future of the queen is of any concern to the Irish in the south.

I didn't see any ''concern'' shown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Why not?
    Its not a nation so it follows that it doesn't need an anthem.
    The 4th green field is part of the Irish nation, my country, so what happens there is of interest to me.

For someone who keeps crapping on about how your such an English nationalist you certainly seem to be taking the default Unionist position on everything. :confused:

Oh, Please:rolleyes:

Please demonstrate even one inaccuracy with what I said, instead of rolling your eyes pretending to make a point. Everything I said was factually accurate.

Out of curiosity Fred - Where are you from? I don't believe I've asked you before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

Not to mention her massive Irish connections. Her being descended from Brian Boru and all that. Or has that been debunked yet?

Advertisement