Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best and worst looking aircraft.

Options
  • 24-11-2008 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

So, as the title suggests, tell us what in your opinion is the best, and the worst looking aircraft ever have taken to the sky. images would be nice.

Best looking.

The predictable: Lockheed Martin SR-71 Blackbird (DROOL....)
    sr-71_1.jpg

- Ugliest (...shiver...)
    It was a close call between the 747 Dreamlifter and the Super guppy, the latter won.
    Aero%20Spacelines%20Super%20Guppy.JPG
    +
    it reached a heigth of 60 feet, collapsed, and plummetted toward the lake just after take off, killing both pilots.

- (let it be known though that I think the beluga is one of the COOLEST airplanes EVAR!!!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I fully agree about the beluga, but also think the dreamlifter aint so bad..

But Favourite for me - c'mon you gotta love em 747SP
    1413073.jpg

And Least favorite, the carvairs aer lingus had...
    G-AOFW-04769-big.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Worst looking is probably the A321. the MD82 aint exactly pretty either.

Anything else really I'm all for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Best looking;

SR-71 closely followed by the North American P-51 Mustang;

1087099.jpg

Worst looking;

Wilga;

1412320.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

IMO there is no contest for the best looking.

1024288.jpg

Yep the beautiful Rockwell B-1B Lancer.

And the ugliest, There a few of them, one of the ugliest must the Bristol 170.

bristol.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Ugliest first:

19860131-1-P-d-1-500.jpg

Nicest looking, well one of em....:D

g650_aerial05_1024x768.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Best looking has got to be the BAe 146.

Worst... that monstrosity made out of a 747: the "Dreamlifter".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

WexCan wrote: »
    Best looking has got to be the BAe 146.

Worst... that monstrosity made out of a 747: the "Dreamlifter".

massive thumbs down for the first.
    thumbs up for the second

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Think we had this thread before , no harm always fun .......

Best looking , really I have a few that I just cannot chose between

Spitfire , I grew up in 60's England , the Spitfire was an real symbol of freedom. Living next to RAF Northolt they used to have the Battle of Britain flight visit often, so I remember the Spitfires doing touch and goes , and my mum in tears listening to the engine ( she lived through the Blitz ).

Concorde , without a doubt the best looking airliner ever .

Worst looking :-

Airliner :- Controversial one here , the A380 I think ...... if it was 10 feet longer it would look better. I never liked the 747 SP either

I have a general dislike of helecopters here ( I know I am going to get shot down for this ! ) , but I cannot see how they can ever look good with a horrible palm tree sticking out of the top.

I think the Carvair was a fantastic aeroplane , I only remember them at Southend , the thought of driving your car onto an aeroplane is just brilliant .... a' la the Channel Tunnel.

noblestee wrote: »
    But Favourite for me - c'mon you gotta love em 747SP
    And Least favorite, the carvairs aer lingus had
    Davidth88 wrote: »
    I never liked the 747 SP either...
    I think the Carvair was a fantastic aeroplane

Grrrr.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

No contest.tb1a.jpg

• Advertisement

Arhhhh sh*t Noblestree , I truly didn't mean to sl*g your choices , only when I saw your post did I look back at your choice .

Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭APM

one of my fav's has to be the A340-600, elegant

2426729789_fa76dfbbd1_b.jpg

least favourite is probably the Nimrod.

298882291_f08aca5c85_o.jpg

A very ugly and noisy old machine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I dunno what it is about the Mossie, but i think it is a lovely looking plane

1202358.jpg

I'd have to agree with the dreamlifter, can that even fly??

Ok, Just seen the Dreamlifter for the first time ( via wikipedia )

Ill change my choice , that is one damn ugly bird !

The A340-600 is very nice, and very comfortable too , having been to Pudong a few times on the VS version ( once in upper class which is just amazing ). It's so long that LHR only has about 3 stands that can accomodate it ( open to correction but thats the excuse we were given for sitting off stand for 1 hr on my last trip causing me to miss my flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

MD-11 good.1425848.jpg

Bad

CIMG0801.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Best -
    1. Concorde
    2. Convair 880
    3. DH 91 Albatross.

Worst looking -
    1. Convair 990 (pimped 880 - but butt ugly)
    2. 737 series 300 and above.
    3. Pl 12 Airtruk (Ugly but in a good way).

But the winner for ugliest aircraft of all time must surely be the Caproni CA 60:

http://www.airbornegrafix.com/HistoricAircraft/ToFly/CaproniCA60.htm

*Kol* wrote: »
    MD-11 good.1425848.jpg

ha, a private one of those is just parked outside my office at the moment, came in yesterday. It's actually amazing how noticable the angle of attack of the engine on the vertical stabilizer is.

@ dogmatix, I have to disagree with the plane you think is "ugliest aircraft of all time". It's shockingg, thats for sure, but it has heaps of character just by looking at it! it looks amazing!

ever have taken to the sky.
    it reached a heigth of 60 feet, collapsed, and plummetted toward the lake just after take off, killing both pilots.

hmmm.... dunno if that qualifies....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

wow, that caproni looks like something out of a giant red bull flugtag competition. sheer brilliant madness:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

dogmatix, I have to disagree with the plane you think is "ugliest aircraft of all time". It's shockingg, thats for sure, but it has heaps of character just by looking at it! it looks amazing!

lol! Don't know if can agree with you on that! Character is one thing but dear god, it hardly looks like an aircraft at all! The whole looks ready to collapse under its own weight whatever about actually taking to the air.

Somebody called Giorgio Apostolo wrote about the CA 60: "The whole structure would not have looked out of place sailing up the English channel with the Spanish armada".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

I think a lot has to do with the colour scheme..

Attachment not found.

The prototype Rafale is a sweet looking bird, Anyone who remembers the take off magazine might remember a beautiful picture of one in these colours, on one of the back covers.

Attachment not found.

This scheme is'nt as good looking.

Personally though, give me an F-14 as the purdiest lady on the block, and a VJ101C as an ugly thing. It was a german designe VTOL replacement for the starfighter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭Steyr

Best

1. Harrier T10
    1-57.jpg

2. Tornado GR4, Something about this aircraft says it should not fly above 200ft EVER.
    3-23.jpg

3. F-15E..........wow
    2-37.jpg

4. F-18E Super Hornet.
    4-15.jpg

5. A-10 Thunderbolt, i dont care what anybody says, this thing is gorgeous and harder than nails. Pity they never kept the 2 seat version, cuz if i won the Euromillions......:pac:
    5-13.jpg

WORST

1. Super Guppy..
    rotten.jpg

2. SU-25 FrogFoot
    su25.jpg

3. Shorts Sherpa
    cc23_p_02_l.jpg

4. Super Frelon
    super_frelon.jpg

5. 747SP
    ugh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Worst first,

electric_airplane.jpg

Electronic prototype. [ABOVE]

1708.jpg

I just lurve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,440 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

this is the Queen of the skies!

FA-18_Super_Hornet_VFA-103.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The Russian beauty Su-27

may_4_prev.jpg

Su-30MK

46.jpg

Rafale B

1125799.jpg

F-14D hanger queen

1044511.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

The best looking aircraft ever was Concorde without a doubt it was amazing and a time machine, travelling across the Atlantic ocean at over 1,000mph was something else and New York was only 3 and half hours away.

Concorde cruising over Ireland, I can remember it sonic boom as it accelerated out over the South West heading for America and you could set your watch by it, sadly missed.

The worst I can't really say I'd say the Boeing 737 that Mick and the bandits use daily, it is boring cramped, ubiquitous and actually not very safe as loads of them have crashed. The are the Toyota of the skys, boring unsafe and unreliable but everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Punchy07

Best looking:In terms of civilian I've always loved the A340-600 and the Md-11.In terms of military the B-1 is an incredible machine and also the livery the dutch display team's F-16 makes the jet look fantastic

Worst looking:Hate the Beluga,Super Guppy and Dreamlifter equally

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

mumhaabu
    The worst I can't really say I'd say the Boeing 737 that Mick and the bandits use daily, it is boring cramped, ubiquitous and actually not very safe as loads of them have crashed. The are the Toyota of the skys, boring unsafe and unreliable but everywhere.

The 737-800 has quite a good safety record so I dont know where your getting that info from?!

Its quite a modern, sleek looking jet imho. Better than the A320 which lacks some nice design lines.

• Advertisement

mumhaabu wrote: »

is that your video? I love the comment - "youre flying a littlebit high for a plane. "

Advertisement