Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tramore to implement one-way system

Options
  • 26-11-2008 1:41am
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I believe that the council are planning on implementing a one-way system in the town centre (including Gallweys Hill) to allow for extra parking spaces (for businesses) and increase safety in an already congested and hazardous area. Probably been in the pipeline for a long time but I believe its going to be coming a reality sometime in the new year. Usual story probably - up for public consultation for a few weeks then implemented for a while to see how it works out.

Thoughts? As long as we don't have a system like New Ross has I think it might work. Its a pain getting up main street or that general area in Tramore right now and I am sure businesses and local residents (who im sure we all recall protesting at one stage a few years ago) will be happy to see this new system in place.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

To be honest, I think its a stupid idea. Making Gallweys Hill and Main Street one way streets would mean diverting traffic towards the Ring Road and make things awkward on those of us living up around Newtown.
    The way i look at it, if I were to drive down to work, and depending on how the one way roads are implemented, assuming that you can only drive down Main Street and down Gallweys Hill, I'd have to take a 12-14 minute trip home via the ring road, as opposed to the 3-4 mins it takes me to go up Gallweys Hill/Church Road route. I know its a small gripe, but that'd really piss me off and i'm sure there are other journeys that'd be affected that I can't think of now.

I'll hold off on totally writing off-the system until I see how it'll be implemented, but judging by the rumor that they council can't afford lights for Main Street this Christmas, I can't imagine the one way system being implemented properly.

Edit: I forgot the council f*ck up that is the Tramore Road. Jesus, my confidence in them doing this one way system properly is dropping by the second.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Minto wrote: »
    To be honest, I think its a stupid idea. Making Gallweys Hill and Main Street one way streets would mean diverting traffic towards the Ring Road and make things awkward on those of us living up around Newtown.
    The way i look at it, if I were to drive down to work, and depending on how the one way roads are implemented, assuming that you can only drive down Main Street and down Gallweys Hill, I'd have to take a 12-14 minute trip home via the ring road, as opposed to the 3-4 mins it takes me to go up Gallweys Hill/Church Road route. I know its a small gripe, but that'd really piss me off and i'm sure there are other journeys that'd be affected that I can't think of now.

Good point. Didn't think of that. Though it shouldn't take anywhere near 15mins to drive from work to your house.. surely not? I believe that Galweys hill you can drive up but you can not drive down. The idea was to have two lanes at the top - one turning towards Main St. and one heading up Church Road (remaining two way along with Priest Road). Main St would of course be all one way (not sure how long but I would imagine as far as Murphs, but I could be wrong).
    I'll hold off on totally writing off-the system until I see how it'll be implemented, but judging by the rumor that they council can't afford lights for Main Street this Christmas, I can't imagine the one way system being implemented properly.

Not like the lights have ever been great but a nice addition all the same. I thought it was paid for by local businesses and not the council anyway?

Sully wrote: »
    I believe that Galweys hill you can drive up but you can not drive down. The idea was to have two lanes at the top - one turning towards Main St. and one heading up Church Road (remaining two way along with Priest Road). Main St would of course be all one way (not sure how long but I would imagine as far as Murphs, but I could be wrong).

That route would make more sense, but I'm sure there is something I'm forgetting about it.
    Not like the lights have ever been great but a nice addition all the same. I thought it was paid for by local businesses and not the council anyway?

Well thats the story going around, but tis Tramore and ya know what it's like with rumors!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well thats the story going around, but tis Tramore and ya know what it's like with rumors!

I thought I read something about one business man funding it all last year but The Munster Express confirms your story :)
    Tramore’s ‘dark Christmas’ fears for 08
    Friday, December 14th, 2007

by Tom Young

Fears have been voiced by local public representatives that Tramore could be left without Christmas lighting next year unless the resort’s traders dig deep into their pockets.

At the Town Council’s annual budget meeting on Tuesday night there was a complaint that one businessman had been keeping the show afloat virtually on his own through recent festive seasons and simultaneously it was disclosed that new lights would be required twelve months hence - at a cost of at least €15,000.

The budget for next year includes a figure of €1,000 for Christmas lights, but Mayor Joe Conway said he had been informed that for safety reasons the existing lights would have to be replaced next year and his information was that the cost would be €15,000 minimum. “We’re looking at a very dark Christmas in 2008 if we cannot raise the necessary money”, he remarked.

However, he also disclosed that he had written to the local Chamber of Commerce seeking discussions on a variety of topics and the funding of festive lights would certainly be one of them. He was awaiting a response from the Chamber but didn’t anticipate any problem arranging such a meeting.

Cllr. Dan Cowman said he would be anxious to attend to make a few points to the business representatives. Regarding the lights, he said a trader had handed him €200 recently towards the cost after they had a discussion on the subject.

Rather unfairly, he said, one businessman had been shouldering the financial burden for the Christmas lights almost alone for several years and it was time others pulled their weight, especially now that the cost was set to soar next year. “Who could blame that man if he got fed up shelling out his money and it would be an awful shame if the town was left without lights”, he added. (Although Cllr. Cowman didn’t name the businessman in question, it is Mr. Eamon McCormack of McCormack Hardware).

The Councillor also mentioned that Minister Eamon O Cuiv had been dispersing grants for Christmas lighting in small towns around the country and suggested Tramore should apply.

Cllr. Pat O’Callaghan said it was important that the Chamber “did its bit” - after all it was its members who would benefit commercially.

Town Clerk Mr. John O’Sullivan pointed out that a substantial sum of money was due from the County Council in respect of parking revenue which was ring-fenced for the town and a portion of that could be set aside, if the members so wished, towards the cost of the lights.

Budget figures

Contained in the budget for 2008 is a rate increase of 4 p.c., bringing the figure to €3.402 in the €, which will yield €41,684. That amount will be demanded from the County Council and along with Tramore House rent of €28,880 and bank interest of €436, the total sum accruing will be €71,000.

Among expenditure items towards the same total are allocations of €21,000 for local tourism and development, €7,400 for salaries and wages, €6,000 towards the running of the Coast Guard Station and sums of €1,000 each for Comhairle na nOg and competitions for tidy estates and gardens. Also included is €2,000 for architectural conservation, the idea being that work would be carried out on certain projects identified by students from WIT.

The Mayor’s allowance next year rises from €1,700 to €2,000, with the Deputy Mayor’s increasing from €400 to €500 and the nine Council members will share expenses of €9,900, up from €9,000.

http://www.munster-express.ie/local-news/tramores-%E2%80%98dark-christmas-fears-for-08/

This could have changed (budget wise) with the economy the way it is though.

EDIT:: Found another thing on it. From October of this year.
    Christmas lights

The Mayor read a letter from Eamon McCormack informing the Council that he could no longer take responsibility for Christmas lighting in the town, as he had done for the last ten years. The Mayor thanked him and voiced the hope, as did Cllr Lola O’Sullivan, that the business people of the town would take on the task… and the cost.

http://www.munster-express.ie/community-notes/tramore/tramore-notes-3/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

It's a good idea in principle, especially where Main St is concerned. I assume the idea would be up Gallweys Hill, round Priests Road, and down Main St or somesuch.

That said, it'd want to be better signposted/enforced than our existing bit of one way infrastructure on Queen St. I usually work from home and on a daily basis, the number of muppets who come tearing up the upper branch road and straight on up Queen St the wrong way is unreal. I tried pointing out to the council years ago that their signposting there in woefully inadequate (coming the other way - the right way - you have a stop sign on one side and a yield on the other, WTF?), but as usual ears were deaf, and it'll take somebody being killed/seriously injured etc, etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭shanemul

The one way system has being in the pipe line for Tramore for the past 6/7 years with main st being one way going down and patrick street being the way up.

shanemul wrote: »
    The one way system has being in the pipe line for Tramore for the past 6/7 years with main st being one way going down and patrick street being the way up.

Expect to see things moving this time i would imagine. :)

I can see that route working fairly well. Does this mean that from The V Bistro down to Murphs would remain two way?

I can see that route working fairly well. Does this mean that from The V Bistro down to Murphs would remain two way?

I doubt it.. apparently its the "worst junction in Ireland" so they want to address that while placing it one-way. So I believe anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If they made this bit two way with no parking allowed whatsoever it might work, as this would allow you to drive up towards Patrick St or Queen St, although the old biddies living on Patrick St would be giving out i'd say

The council will f*ck it up anyway, bunch of incompotent muppets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

patrick street being the way up.

Not the most practical route I'd imagine given the bend at the end of Queen St. Ever seen a truck (and I'm not talking big ones) try to get round it? Not pretty. (That said, I've seen Porcra(*) drivers make an arse of trying to get round it as well, though what's most fun is looking out my window at them taking 15 minutes to parallel park only to not be able to open their door beside the big kerb :D )

(*)Porcra : Punto, Corsa, Micra, whatever

Queen St has been a problem for years. Between that bend outside the pub and the cars that ignore the one-way street it really is an accident waiting to happen. Not much imporvements can be made there id imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Stan Nangle

The proposed one way system is on display up at the Tank Field Offices and people are invited to comment in them.

In short, the proposal is ass-backwards. They are making some problems worse, and creating new problems where none existed before (like filtering all traffic coming down Church Road across in front of the Grand (bottleneck) and through the very dangerous junction at The Cross).

If you don't want to see a complete hames being made of Tramore Town Centre then you really need to take the time to look at the proposal and make a submission to the Council.

If enough people point out the flaws in the proposal, then it will be scrapped - and I say this as one of the people who have been campaigning FOR a one way system for years.

I'd also agree with the comments about Queen Street. I've been lobbying the Council on this for at least five years. I've brought it up at the Tramore Area Committee Meetings on a regular basis since I became a member. Only one Councillor - Ann Marie Power - has shown any support for my proposals to put additional signage on the Branch Road to warn drivers about the one-way system ahead, but still no sign of anything being done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Tetrarch

The proposed one way system is on display up at the Tank Field Offices and people are invited to comment in them.

In short, the proposal is ass-backwards. They are making some problems worse, and creating new problems where none existed before (like filtering all traffic coming down Church Road across in front of the Grand (bottleneck) and through the very dangerous junction at The Cross).

If you don't want to see a complete hames being made of Tramore Town Centre then you really need to take the time to look at the proposal and make a submission to the Council.

If enough people point out the flaws in the proposal, then it will be scrapped - and I say this as one of the people who have been campaigning FOR a one way system for years.

I'd also agree with the comments about Queen Street. I've been lobbying the Council on this for at least five years. I've brought it up at the Tramore Area Committee Meetings on a regular basis since I became a member. Only one Councillor - Ann Marie Power - has shown any support for my proposals to put additional signage on the Branch Road to warn drivers about the one-way system ahead, but still no sign of anything being done.
    Stan,
    I visited Tank Field and my first impression is that:
    1. The one way circulatory system down Main Street, left onto Queen's Street and up Patrick's Street to Summerhill should be reversed, primarily because the uphill journey is a far safer one for both road traffic and pedestrians. This may also improve the situation on Queen's Street.
    2. The proposal should integrate a parking and footpath widening solution particularily along Main Street.
    3. The Junction at the bottom of Main St. onto Turkey Road and Gawelly's Hill needs careful attention due to the visibility constraints.
    Also in Tank Field there wasn't a form on which submissions could be made. Do you know if the drawing on display is available as a PDF with an online form on the net?

Tetrarch wrote: »
    Stan,
    I visited Tank Field and my first impression is that:
    1. The one way circulatory system down Main Street, left onto Queen's Street and up Patrick's Street to Summerhill should be reversed, primarily because the uphill journey is a far safer one for both road traffic and pedestrians. This may also improve the situation on Queen's Street.
    2. The proposal should integrate a parking and footpath widening solution particularily along Main Street.
    3. The Junction at the bottom of Main St. onto Turkey Road and Gawelly's Hill needs careful attention due to the visibility constraints.
    Also in Tank Field there wasn't a form on which submissions could be made. Do you know if the drawing on display is available as a PDF with an online form on the net?

I have asked the Director of Services if he would arrange to have the files uploaded onto the CoCo website in .pdf format, and if he would consider holding a public meeting on the issue.

I think traffic should be brought up Main Street from the Turkey Road junction, not down. That junction is lethal.

This would mean that Church Road traffic could come down Gallwey's Hill and leave Town (or go to the Beach) without having to come across in front of the Grand Hotel and the Post Office (which is a complete bottle neck).

The proposal to make the Upper Branch Road one-way is also a non runner from my perspective. There is a Childcare Centre on that road and if it is made one-way then all the parents coming and going will have to come in by the schools and down Pond Road (increasing traffic outside the schools) or down Main Street (increasing congestion in the Town Centre).

There is just one week left to make submissions on this proposal.

Waterford Today have published a Press Release I issued last week, and I will be discussing the proposal with Billy McCarthy on Friday morning at about 10.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Do you think it is possible to implement an absolutely perfect one-way system? No matter what system is in place, there will be people giving out. Fact is, the current system is flawed, they are trying something different on a trial basis - how about we just see how it works out?

If this was thrown open to public consultation do you think there is a solution that everyone would agree to? It took years to get the one-way system to this stage, nothing would ever change if the whole town needs to be in agreement with the system. People have been given the opportunity to submit their views anyway.

I don't suppose you have an image you could upload of what your one-way system would look like? Or do you have a written description of it?

Do you think it is possible to implement an absolutely perfect one-way system? No matter what system is in place, there will be people giving out. Fact is, the current system is flawed, they are trying something different on a trial basis - how about we just see how it works out?

If this was thrown open to public consultation do you think there is a solution that everyone would agree to? It took years to get the one-way system to this stage, nothing would ever change if the whole town needs to be in agreement with the system. People have been given the opportunity to submit their views anyway.

I agree with you in principle, and there will always be differences of opinion (which direction Queen Street should run being one of them) but the idea of redirecting all the traffic coming down Church Road across in front of the Grand Hotel is just nuts. There is no way this can be considered an improvement on what is already there. Think of the impact all that extra traffic will have on pedestrian safety.

The Committee was set up in April 2007, but didn't actually start work until the middle of 2008.

You are correct that people have been given the opportunity to comment, but most people I have spoken to were not aware of the detail of the proposal, or that there was a public comment period. This is why I have been trying to publicise it.

Whatever the outcome, the more people that get involved in the process the better.

I don't suppose you have an image you could upload of what your one-way system would look like? Or do you have a written description of it?

There are four main elements:

Gallwey's Hill becomes One-Way, up the hill.

Main Street becomes One-Way, down the hill from the Carry Out Off-Licence to The Cross.

Strand Street becomes One-Way, down the hill from The Cross to the Hi-B Corner.

Upper Branch Road becomes One-Way, down the hill, from Martha's to Tivoli Terrace.

Ill head down to the library tommrow. Its a shame this couldnt be all done online and make peoples lives easier!

• Advertisement

Fair answer Stan.

Re: your proposed system at the end of your reply, it sounds like the council's one? You're saying Gallwey's should be one-way up the hill, yet above that you are saying that re-directing traffic across by the Grand would be nuts...bit confused, I don't have the map handy here at the moment to see exactly what the council's system is like though.

Sully, I actually have a scan of the council's map of the one-way system i got from the civic offices on another computer, i'll upload it here tomorrow.

Fair answer Stan.

Re: your proposed system at the end of your reply, it sounds like the council's one? You're saying Gallwey's should be one-way up the hill, yet above that you are saying that re-directing traffic across by the Grand would be nuts...bit confused, I don't have the map handy here at the moment to see exactly what the council's system is like though.

Sully, I actually have a scan of the council's map of the one-way system i got from the civic offices on another computer, i'll upload it here tomorrow.

:)

That IS the Council's one. I misread your post. :rolleyes:

My preferred alternative is One-Way up the hill from Murph's to the junction with Patrick Street. Everything else stays the same.

Not perfect by any means, but better than pushing all the traffic from Gallwey's Hill over by the Grand and the Post Office.

In terms of safety - that place is dangerous enough as it is with all the business around it and with the post office/hotel being there it seems crazy to load all the traffic that direction. I dont see the need to make Galways Hill one way as its not as congested as the town center itself is. Getting out onto that road is difficult enough without the extra traffic now on it.

Can submissions be done via email, no?

Here's the council's proposed system:

Attachment not found.
    Can submissions be done via email, no?
    You could try send an email to the Director of Transport. I would say you are better off sending you're submissions to our town councillors instead.

Any submissions on this proposal have to be in to the Council Offices by 5pm Friday 30th.

Any submissions on this proposal have to be in to the Council Offices by 5pm Friday 30th.

Does it have to be using an official form?

Does it have to be using an official form?

Nope.

Just a standard letter:

To Mr Michael Quinn
    Director of Services
    Waterford County Council

Date:

Reference: Proposed One Way System for Tramore

Dear Sir,

(and then summarise your views of the proposal. What you think is good, what you think is bad, and any improvements you think might be appropriate).

If you want to send by email, send it to mquinn@waterfordcoco.ie

Thanks Stan.

Advertisement