Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Velex window fitting...

Options
  • 03-12-2008 1:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've looked through the whole forum on here regarding the above..
    Basically Im looking to fit 3 windows on my 2 storey house.
    I have converted the attic space ready for the windows...
    Although Id be quite handy regarding DIY, I feel cutting holes in my roof a bit much, So i was wondering how much would it cost to get these put in (nixer)..
    I've looked on You Tube and found a "How to fit velex windows" clip but its in German..!!

Any help will be gratefully received..

Jayson

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Hi all,

I've looked through the whole forum on here regarding the above..
    Basically Im looking to fit 3 windows on my 2 storey house.
    I have converted the attic space ready for the windows...
    Although Id be quite handy regarding DIY, I feel cutting holes in my roof a bit much, So i was wondering how much would it cost to get these put in (nixer)..
    I've looked on You Tube and found a "How to fit velex windows" clip but its in German..!!

Any help will be gratefully received..

Jayson

It is quite easy to fit them.

look where the tiles are. I keep 4" above a course of tiles

You cut the rafter from the inside and use double trimmers at top and bottom of the window ope.

leave 10mm clearance for window to fit in.

Lift the tiles

cut the felt leaving flaps that can be turned down.

cut your batons.

screw the brackets onto the window

with 2 people lift the window through the window onto the roof.

one man outside with a tools . screw gun and screws.

Drop the window into place. You may need to fit grounds with you spare cut battons.

Sight the window in by working together with the guy (or girl) down below.

You will be looking for a perfect margin between the window frame and the window. If you dont do this the window will not close properly.

screw the brackets .

fit flashing.

re tile. You may need a big grinder or a consaw. Some clear exterior silicone or Stix-all is handy for glue a wayward tile in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Well said gsxr1, good instructions.
    Tiles are easier that slate. Slate rows are awkward, as they overlap.

As a nixer - maybe 3 hours each approx.
    A full days work I'd imagine.

Velux would provide a video in english, I've one somewhere!

Just ensure they are MO8 top hung, if used as fire escapes and be careful to comply will cill height off floor etc.Attachment not found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Thanks GZXR1 for the intructions... I'm sure they are spot on and easy to follow but I can't really understand it and the more I think about it, the more I want to get someone in to do it... I have no doubt in my mind if I was shown how to do one then I'd do the rest but sure may aswell get all 3 done with peace of mind..
    The windows will fit between the rafters and would all be the same height..
    Like I say, probably gonna hold out till after Christmas, then hopefully someone will fit for a few extra bucks in Jan or Feb....
    Tea and Biscuits supplied...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Thanks GZXR1 for the intructions... I'm sure they are spot on and easy to follow but I can't really understand it and the more I think about it, the more I want to get someone in to do it... I have no doubt in my mind if I was shown how to do one then I'd do the rest but sure may aswell get all 3 done with peace of mind..
    The windows will fit between the rafters and would all be the same height..
    Like I say, probably gonna hold out till after Christmas, then hopefully someone will fit for a few extra bucks in Jan or Feb....
    Tea and Biscuits supplied...:D

giv me a shout in th new year. I might be able to do it for you

Cool...
    Could you PM me with a rough price, heading North to collect the windows in the next week or so..

Thanks..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 wexfordbuild

Hi Welsh Wizard, could you tell me if there is much difference in the price of the Velux up north compared to down in republic?? i need 6 in next 2 weeks,

I'm not too sure as the missus was looking at prices..
    She says to go on to B & Q website and compare the prices, she thinks its was as much as €120 per window...

Like i say im not sure though, i just want them fitted and to be looked out of...;)

Advertisement