Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else agree?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

seamus wrote: »
    It's to protect everyone else. Yes, the poster gets banned, but that doesn't stop someone from sitting at their machine in work, opening a thread in After Hours, and suddenly 50 images of people ****ting on each other pops up on their screen.

Then six weeks later, their manager pulls them into the office with a sample of these images printed out, demanding an explanation. "Some spammer posted them on a bulletin board" might work the first time, but not the second or third or fourth time.

Yes, it's lamentable, but I think everyone's happier for it. It's not there to prevent people being banned from boards, it's there to prevent people being fired from jobs :)

I don't recall. Late last year?

Shouldn't people should be working whilst in work and not browsing internet forums ?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Shouldn't people should be working whilst in work and not browsing internet forums ?:confused:

Tabbed browsing is awful handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Can't you do both? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If it wasn't for employee/educational institutional sponsored internet access, this site would be about the size of my Aunty Ethel's abortive attempt at a homepage, flushed with success as she was from completing her ECDL course, circa 1997.

Boards has to cater to this demographic, for a myriad of reasons, not least the fact that it would be poor PR indeed to have a reputation akin to 4chan, where anything could pop up on your screen.

If it wasn't for employee/educational institutional sponsored internet access, this site would be about the size of my Aunty Ethel's abortive attempt at a homepage, flushed with success as she was from completing her ECDL course, circa 1997.

Boards has to cater to this demographic, for a myriad of reasons, not least the fact that it would be poor PR indeed to have a reputation akin to 4chan, where anything could pop up on your screen.
    If businesses and colleges hadn't jumped onto the internet back in the late 90's and installed big fat pipes that people couldn't get at home, we'd still be back in the era of <blink> and marquee tags. Amazon would be a tiny British book retailer and Google probably wouldn't have even been conceived of.

It's fair to say that without universities, the internet would have died on its feet. Businesses had been using EDI for a long time before the actual WWW came along, they'd probably still be doing it in a similar way, just a little bit faster.

• Advertisement

Yeah, but it's been an eternal September ever since...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I'd agree with that Seamus.

I remember a colleague dancing a jig years ago when he was able to download naughty videos at a rate of 30kB/s during the night shift at his multinational employers.

At the time I was napstering on flat rate dialup, and used to tie up the line for my weekends at home. If I came back to ten or so successful downloads on Sunday night, I was a happy bunny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

At the time I was napstering on flat rate dialup, and used to tie up the line for my weekends at home. If I came back to ten or so successful downloads on Sunday night, I was a happy bunny.

innocent days....

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20195

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I feel the reason people post on AH and try for serious discussion is to broaden the audience and contributor base.
    The more suitable and serious fora exist, but would not have the range of response that perhaps the poster wishes to engage and interact with..

There are a lot of messers and crackpots on AH,who want to distill the serious side of things with inane comments and repetitive remarks.

We will just have to live cheek by jowl with them I guess, and perhaps, if we need that more diffuse audience and eclectic footprint , they are a necessary 'evil'.

There would be a place for a fairly serious multi topical forum or discussion area on Boards.ie I would imagine.
    pot-kettle-black.jpg

You obviously missed that David Icke thread.

Normal person: "Lizard people? That's just rediculous."
    Icke nut: "No it's not, here's some links to 473 hours of video where Icke says it's all true.".
    Normal person: "Yeah, but he's a nut job."
    Icke nut: "No he's not, here's some links to 546 hours of video where Icke clearly states he's not a nutjob and this is all true".

Lather, rinse and repeat.
    That was when we took the week off and didn't tell anyone.
    It was fun letting that thread go as far as it went.

If businesses and colleges hadn't jumped onto the internet back in the late 90's and installed big fat pipes that people couldn't get at home, we'd still be back in the era of <blink> and marquee tags. Amazon would be a tiny British book retailer and Google probably wouldn't have even been conceived of.

It's fair to say that without universities, the internet would have died on its feet. Businesses had been using EDI for a long time before the actual WWW came along, they'd probably still be doing it in a similar way, just a little bit faster.

Nah.
    The only reason the internet took off is because people wanted to see Pammy and Tommy Lee.

As for images, seamus pretty much covered that.
    It's also a bandwidth issue.
    Every thread would have multiple lolcats or whatever the new meme is and the site would just crash constantly (or so I believe).

OP, best off with Humanities.

Terry wrote: »
    Every thread would have multiple lolcats or whatever the new meme is and the site would just crash constantly (or so I believe).
    Nah. I can see why you'd think that, but it wouldn't impact on the servers at all.

• Advertisement

I know I'm new, feel free to tell to piss off but how about reinstating images in AH for a test period ? Perhaps over Xmas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Nah. I can see why you'd think that, but it wouldn't impact on the servers at all.
    Even if they were attachments?

I know I'm new, feel free to tell to piss off but how about reinstating images in AH for a test period ? Perhaps over Xmas ?

Nah.

The sub forum covers that sort of thing and was put there as a sort of compromise (and also to stop the never ending stream of youtube threads).
    No pun intended.

Nah.

The sub forum covers that sort of thing and was put there as a sort of compromise (and also to stop the never ending stream of youtube threads).
    No pun intended.

One of the reasons I ask is because of smileys. Atm there's only 13 and I think ye could do with some more - a face/palm smiley and evil smile smiley for instance. Elsewhere I suppose you could just use an code but of course in AH you can't. Dunno man, just a suggestion, it's yer bbq and it tastes good

Clever thinking batman. But no, not a massive amount because of the size limits imposed on image attachment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I don't recall. Late last year?
    I can't recall images being available on AH since I registered anyway, Seamus.
    Probably, but that's between them and their employers, it's not up to Boards to dictate.

And given the wide variety of forums and information available on Boards these days, I can imagine that it even happens that people will drop in for legitimate work reasons from time to time, though it's hardly the bulk of the traffic.

But is After Hours not for em, after work ? Non work related ?

I think the basic idea of the forum originally was that it was for everything which was

1. not gaming

2. not work

That was maybe 10 years ago when there were 3 or 4 forums in all.

A lot has changed since then.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If I couldn't use boards in work (and there were smoe brief periods when websense gobbled it) i would go crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

How many of you have seen Armageddon or American Pie in the cinema?
    They're leave your brain at the door popcorn movies. Bit of harmless fun.

AH is the same. But for some the movie experience wasn't enough, they need to watch the dvd over and over again.

The rest of Boards can be like Schlinder's List, The Shawshank Redemption or even a little bit mad like Audition with a touch of Little Miss Sunshine thrown in for good measure

Different tastes for different people.

Some never get past AH and experience what Boards have to offer.

For them Uwe Boll and Roland Emerich are Hereos

Rabies wrote: »
    For them Uwe Boll and Roland Emerich are Hereos

Ha ha, you tried to be an intellectually elitist snob but then you spelt (and capatolized) "heroes" wrong. Did you leave your brain at the door before you came into Feedback? You wouldn't do that with Schindler's List...

[/pedant]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Nope, my spelling is terrible. I spend half of my time on Boards editing my posts.

I post in AH too, don't worry. I leave my brain in the parking lot when I'm posting (trolling) in AH.

Frada needs a hug \o/

Rabies wrote: »
    Frada needs a hug \o/

I sure do.

Incidentally, I agree about leaving your brain at the door. AH is no place for serious discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I'd like a kind of "In the News" type forum. Somewhere in between AH and Politics/Humanities/Whatever relevant forum the story relates to.

But I am vastly outnumbered I guess..

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

penguin88 wrote: »
    I know it's been mentioned a few times already, but I have to highlight again that the Humanities forum seems to be the thing you're looking for. Even the charter there seems to spell it out:

Sounds like it fits the bill pretty well.

Except for the fact that the majority of traffic through humanities is tumbleweed and people complaining about paedophiles. Humanities would be great if it was busier or more diverse, but then again I suppose the OP is saying that AH would be better if it was a little less busy and a little less diverse.

Ha ha, you tried to be an intellectually elitist snob but then you spelt (and capatolized) "heroes" wrong. Did you leave your brain at the door before you came into Feedback? You wouldn't do that with Schindler's List...

[/pedant]
    Hmmmm ...

/hums "One of these words does not match the other ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

[/pedant]
    Have you not tried hereos? its one of those attempts to bring prime-time television shows into standard snackfood. I think with them you pull them apart, eat the white part in the middle, then save the cheerleader, save the world.

5starpool wrote: »
    If I couldn't use boards in work (and there were smoe brief periods when websense gobbled it) i would go crazy.

But you're supposed to be working . You get paid to work , not to browse discussion forums.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

But you're supposed to be working . You get paid to work , not to browse discussion forums.
    Tell that to the journalists!

...always stealin our lulz :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

The reason AH works, when it works, is because it gets more traffic,views, and comments. If it excludes the "funnys", the smartalecs, and the yore mas the posts have a better chance of being more comprehensive, and interesting than similar posts in politics etc. This is a particularly good thread, not least because people from East Wall join up to have their say. ( It is about the shooting recently).

Does boards have a Current Affairs? Maybe it should, leaving AH for funny stories and the current affairs forum for serious stories. Yore Mas would have no place there.

• Advertisement

Why are you banned from AH ?

Advertisement