Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have never been so ashamed to be Irish

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭NADA

ummm, I dont suppose you have been to Germany, to compare Germany with Ireland is not comparing like with like.

In Germany you dont get the shoite kicked out of you after midnight in big cities after a few jars (of vastly superior beer), you can then hop onto a very efficent train without the fear of getting killed on the way home.

Ireland is a shambolic country no matter what way you look at it.

Ireland prides itself as being a modern civil place to be but we are vastly losing that image.

A poster compared Denmark with Ireland recently about our tax money and where it is going, Denmark also puts Ireland to shame, like most other countries.

Live in munich. Couldn't agree more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

You can then hop onto a very efficent train without the fear of getting killed on the way home.

Yeah thats what they said to the people who got on the trains to Auschwitz...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,251 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Feelgood wrote: »
    And now thread is complete :rolleyes:

/gets coat

@China - well met

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭joenailface

Feelgood wrote: »

What kind of moron are you at all...that has absolutly nothing to do with anything he said apart from trains, thats like saying 'Yea but the fat controller was an autocratic wanker' in response to that you trolling trolling wankbag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Hazys wrote: »
    The club didnt give a sh1t as long as it was making money and the customers didnt give a sh1t as long we were getting served.
    Exactly. Win Win all round tbh:D

Here here. Sounds like evolution in action to me.

OP, you'll be pleased to note that an awful lot of people have woken up to the fact that drinking out is for mugs. Complacent pubs and clubs are starting to struggle. You just arrived at the wrong time of year.

• Advertisement

What kind of moron are you at all...that has absolutly nothing to do with anything he said apart from trains, thats like saying 'Yea but the fat controller was an autocratic wanker' in response to that you trolling trolling wankbag

Actually it has a lot to do with it, X was talking about trains that run in Germany and I was talking about the history of trains that ran in Germany.

Same conversation there buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I've never been prouder :pac:

Go on lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Banned.

Overheal, give it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Overheal wrote: »
    Do you honestly need sense pistol-whipped into you :confused:

my god man, wake up to your fúcking reality, please. More to follow.

except you are *6 times more likely to have something like that happen to you in the US than Ireland.

I don't think we're quite there yet. yes it's tragic what happened to that guy in Dublin, but there's a lot worse going on elsewhere in the world.

some of the stats are very scary.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_homicide_rate

* i might well have worked that out wrong, my maths is shite! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I love when people get so angry they can't use sentences.

• Advertisement

This is all I have left to say, before things get way out of hand in this thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

The OP is rightly bringing up a recurring theme all Irish internet discussion forums at the moment that most, not all, publicans do indeed treat their customers with contempt.

I have to to laugh, organisations like the LVA are launching advertising campaigns to get people back into the pubs. They are are failing miserably to tackle the real issue why people have stopped patronizing their premises.

Namely, their customers a) are being treated like s^it by dim-witted and often agressive staff b) get poor quality fizzy beer c) are getting ripped-off.

The backlash has started. When I hear of publicans going out of business, all I can say is "serves you right". The backlash has started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

jetsonx wrote: »
    The OP is rightly bringing up a recurring theme all Irish internet discussion forums at the moment that most, not all, publicans do indeed treat their customers with contempt.

I don't see where the OP brought up the publican treating customers with contempt. His issue was that there was a power cut/fuse blow out and it wasn't fixed by the time he left. The truth of the matter is the OP has absolutely no idea what was wrong and instead of speaking to management he went to a bouncer, who cracked a joke. He then went off looking for gardai.

Where is the contempt? The people were still being served and anyone who had an issue could easily walk out the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I have to to laugh, organisations like the LVA are launching advertising campaigns to get people back into the pubs. They are are failing miserably to tackle the real issue why people have stopped patronizing their premises.

Namely, their customers a) are being treated like s^it by dim-witted and often agressive staff b) get poor quality fizzy beer c) are getting ripped-off.

The backlash has started. When I hear of publicans going out of business, all I can say is "serves you right". The backlash has started.

Yeah, but the OP went into a $hit pub. Not only that, but he paid €15 to walk in there. He probably had to queue as well (depending on the time of night, the queues for Riordan's/Havanas is ridiculous). He had a host of great bars around him, but still chose the $hithole.

It's not publicans that are ruining pubs, it's the mugs who choose to go to the most expensive, atmosphere-free, smelly knack bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭jetsonx

dotsman wrote: »
    Yeah, but the OP went into a $hit pub.

Every consumer patronizes an establishment with the tacit assumption that the place has a resonable level of lighting. Whether the pub was $hit or not is a matter of opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Every consumer patronizes an establishment with the tacit assumption that the place has a resonable level of lighting. Whether the pub was $hit or not is a matter of opinion.

And when an establishment doesn't fulfill your expectations? - YOU DON'T GO BACK!

And yet, there are always queues outside Havanas (and pretty much every useless dive in this country). There are plenty of great pubs in this country (we are, apparently, famous for them), yet a complete dump can still draw in a full crowd on a Saturday night, so where is the incentive to treat the customers well? If everyone voted with their feet, these dumps wouldn't last a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

grammer

Spelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Nodin wrote: »
    If it turned off the ****e music they usually play in these places, I would have tipped them to do it again the next week.

I wouldn't argue with that, walked out of a place myself last night cause the dj insisted on turning up the tunes every 5 minutes till I couldn't hear the person beside me, can't understand what the owners of some places do be thinking, even when theres only 5 people in the place sitting around having a chat they're still blasting tunes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Chinafoot wrote: »
    I don't see where the OP brought up the publican treating customers with contempt. No i never mentioned that :rolleyes: His issue was that there was a power cut/fuse blow out and it wasn't fixed by the time he left Have you not been paying attention to the reason why i left?. The truth of the matter is the OP has absolutely no idea what was wrong and instead of speaking to management he went to a bouncer, who cracked a joke. He then went off looking for gardai.

Where is the contempt? The people were still being served and anyone who had an issue could easily walk out the door.

The 3 issues i wanted to highlight was (obviously i didnt go about it the right way):

1) The club seriously neglected safety in persuit of a profit
    2) The people in the club didnt care as long as they were getting drink
    3) There are no gardai on the streets of Cork, when it has been increasingly more dangerous on nights out

People in this forum, rather fight over petty points to prove they are right than debate the issues. (Myself included)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Ireland is a shambolic country no matter what way you look at it.

Ireland prides itself as being a modern civil place to be but we are vastly losing that image.

Us Irish people will never understand this, We are always going to be a backward race.

You know the place is gone to **** when the Americans can look down on us!

• Advertisement

I love when people get so angry they can't use sentences.
    That user has been banned and cannot reply to defend himself.
    Please let that one go.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

The 3 issues i wanted to highlight was (obviously i didnt go about it the right way):

1) The club seriously neglected safety in persuit of a profit
    3) There are no gardai on the streets of Cork, when it has been increasingly more dangerous on nights out

People in this forum, rather fight over petty points to prove they are right than debate the issues. (Myself included)

1) How do you know what the issue in the club was? Maybe they were trying to fix it? Maybe they were assured by the emergency electrician that they would be up and running in a few minutes? You failed to speak to management so you have no clue.

2) The people in the club obviously didn't feel very unsafe. Perhaps some of those continuing to drink had spoken to management or at least bar staff and had been told that the problem would be fixed asap? You said half the club was in darkness...not all of the club.

3) Again, you can't say there are no gardai on the streets of Cork. There were no gardai on the street that you were on at the specific time that you were there. You could have easily phoned the garda station when the fight was happening.

I'm not arguing petty points but you're ignoring what everyone is saying and making ridiculous statements like "there are no gardai on teh streets of cork".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

True, this maybe because the atmosphere in there was good though rather than them being raging alcoholics or anything like it. They were able to sit there and have their drink and chat to their mates in piece. It wasn't about the place it was about the company, hows that a negative?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

:mad:hazys the sooner you got back to boston the better, coming back home after a few years away preaching to us how dare you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

I have never been so ashamed to be Irish

What, because the lights went out in a boozer and you saw two idiots having a fight? Jesus wept.

Perhaps you should go back to America. You know... where they have the highest murder rate in the Western world as well as one of the most unequal societies. The American healthcare system even makes the HSE look like a world class service. When was the last time you saw an 80-year-old packing groceries in Ireland so that they can pay for their medicine and heating? When was the last time Ireland bombed and massacered tens of thousands of innocent people under false pretences?

I concur. It's awful being Irish.

colly10 wrote: »
    True, this maybe because the atmosphere in there was good though rather than them being raging alcoholics or anything like it. They were able to sit there and have their drink and chat to their mates in piece. It wasn't about the place it was about the company, hows that a negative?
    I completely agree with that.
    You can be in the worst hole in the country, but if you are in good company, then you will have a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Chinafoot wrote: »
    3) Again, you can't say there are no gardai on the streets of Cork. There were no gardai on the street that you were on at the specific time that you were there. You could have easily phoned the garda station when the fight was happening.

I'm not arguing petty points but you're ignoring what everyone is saying and making ridiculous statements like "there are no gardai on teh streets of cork".

Cork is not as big as Dublin. I walked down Washington Street then over to HillBillies then down Patricks street then back up Patricks street into the Coal Quay where i found 2 Gardai. I also walkied back past HillBillies got food, headed down the South Mall to get a taxi saw no Gardai. The only place i missed out was MacCurtain street maybe thats where they all were??

Cork is small & I partically walked the whole City and saw only 2 Gardai. I dont think this information about the lack of Gardai in Cork on nights out is a shocker to Cork people.

If i could take back comparing Cork to Boston or any other city I think i would have saved this thread a couple of pages

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

Cork is not as big as Dublin.

The Cork crowd are going to rape you for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

colly10 wrote: »
    I wouldn't argue with that, walked out of a place myself last night cause the dj insisted on turning up the tunes every 5 minutes till I couldn't hear the person beside me, can't understand what the owners of some places do be thinking, even when theres only 5 people in the place sitting around having a chat they're still blasting tunes

Did you try turning down your hearing aid???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Havermeyer

grammer

grammar.

OP, sounds like you're suffering from a severe dose of Americanisation. Lighten up.

Advertisement