Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kevin Myers makes it onto the website of the BNP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sink wrote: »
    So polish people should replace Krakowiak with Céilí, Kielbasa with denny sausages and so forth and you'd be happy with as many of them coming here as they like?
    What people do in the privacy of their own homes or what they put into their stomachs is none of my business, foreigner or otherise. I like people to join a queue from the back and so on. Simple things that people should do to fit in. I like people to bring enough money to the till so that they don't have the cashier taking single items off until their fiver covers the shopping. You know, common courtessy for the people waiting behind. Stuff like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

murphaph wrote: »
    What people do in the privacy of their own homes or what they put into their stomachs is none of my business, foreigner or otherise. I like people to join a queue from the back and so on. Simple things that people should do to fit in. I like people to bring enough money to the till so that they don't have the cashier taking single items off until their fiver covers the shopping. You know, common courtessy for the people waiting behind. Stuff like that.

So that is your only gripe with foreigners?
    Do you have any other example other then a queue at the local shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Múinteoir wrote: »

Always one to laud the 'glory days' of Empire, obesessed with British Army, gave out about number of "dark faces" in London, anti-republican to an insane degree, whinges about muslims the odd time......He's really checked most of the boxes for membership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Serenity Now!

RiverWilde wrote: »
    I haven't seen such distilled bile in a while.

Kevin Myers is an interesting character who isn't afraid to speak his mind. I've noticed that in Ireland if you stand up and speak your mind you get treated with suspicion. Why is this? This country is supposed to be a democracy.

Riv

He is a hypocritical contrarian whose arrogance, in my opinion, exceeds any quality. Speak your polemic mind and expect retort from those who disagree. This is all that Myers wants anyway.
    That's a democracy. Has he been arrested or had his articles censored? Nope. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

I share Kevin Myers views on immigration and I'm glad that someone as literate as him is around to articulate the concerns of the silent majority on the issue. Immigration into this country over the last few years has been far too high and we can't afford to have our politicians ignore it for much longer.
    that lad is some ****ing goon. id have no problem ending his miserable life. id say he wakes up in the morning and looks at himself in the mirror, and is disgusted with himself.
    Can we send Myers away too with all the immigrants? Now, then I'd consider it!
    I bet he's delighted with himself. twat.
    For those people who feel such intense hatred for Kevin Myers, what is it in particular about the article that you object to? Have you actually read it or any of his other articles on the subject of immigration?

He has no choice over which website reproduces or links to his work and so he can't be held responsible for the BNP's decision to post it on their website. It would be like a journalist critical of Israel's actions in Gaza finding his articles appearing on a radical islamic site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

O'Morris wrote: »
    I share Kevin Myers views on immigration and I'm glad that someone as literate as him is around to articulate the concerns of the silent majority on the issue.

What silent majority? A vociferous and often extremely unpleasant minority.

No matter how elegantly written, vile opinions still remain vile opinions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Múinteoir

mike65 wrote: »
    * wonders why Múinteoir was browsing BNP site*

I saw it on politics.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Has he been arrested or had his articles censored? Nope.

I seem to recall Caoimhin having several brushes with the intelligensia,some of whom referred various of his articles to the relevant "bodies" for their attention.

Realistically,he does not put forward any opinion that cannot be freely heard anywhere in the country.

Only difference is few are willing or able to commit those thoughts to paper.?

Native Irish reticence perhaps..?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭johnnyc

have to agree with Kevin Myers. this country is going to be like the uk.. model where the local people will be the minority

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Only difference is few are willing or able to commit those thoughts to paper.?

Native Irish reticence perhaps..?
    Not at all. It sells copy and boosts his profile.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    So that is your only gripe with foreigners?
    Do you have any other example other then a queue at the local shop?
    I don't have a gripe with all foreigners so no need to imply that I do. I simply ask foreigners coming here to adapt to our customs. They don't have to give up their religion, change the colour of the skin or stop eating whatever it is they like to eat, just integrate into our society and behave in an accepted manner. No more than I would expect of any irish person!

I have travelled extensively and am always mindful and respectful of the ways and customs of the places I visit. I just expect the same in return. Sadly, when one raises such concerns there's an element here who scream "racist" hysterically at the tops of their voices. Anyway, let the hysteria continue.....

I simply ask foreigners coming here to adapt to our customs

I just love this line when its used LOL! :D
    Which "customs" exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭O'Morris

What silent majority?

The most recent poll (see here) that I'm aware of has found that 66% of the Irish population wants to see a tighter immigration policy.

I remember another poll was carried out just after the Lisbon referendum which found that a majority of both yes and no voters favoured a more restrictive immigration policy.
    No matter how elegantly written, vile opinions still remain vile opinions.

Which of his opinions on the subject of immigration are vile?

I don't have a gripe with all foreigners so no need to imply that I do. I simply ask foreigners coming here to adapt to our customs. They don't have to give up their religion, change the colour of the skin or stop eating whatever it is they like to eat, just integrate into our society and behave in an accepted manner. No more than I would expect of any irish person!

I have travelled extensively and am always mindful and respectful of the ways and customs of the places I visit. I just expect the same in return. Sadly, when one raises such concerns there's an element here who scream "racist" hysterically at the tops of their voices. Anyway, let the hysteria continue.....

No need to get so defensive now. What customs are these then. Going on the pi$$ at the weekends? Buying BMW's on credit?:)

Seriously though what are so different about these people than say Irish people?
    I have travelled too and the more you travel the more you realise that we are more the same then different.
    I agree that English should be a at a reasonable standard and an effort made to learn the local geography etc. But I fail to see what the big deal is.

No need to get so defensive now. What customs are these then. Going on the pi$$ at the weekends? Buying BMW's on credit?:)

Seriously though what are so different about these people than say Irish people?
    I have travelled too and the more you travel the more you realise that we are more the same then different.
    I agree that English should be a at a reasonable standard and an effort made to learn the local geography etc. But I fail to see what the big deal is.

Well, it is a serious question actually. What bloody customs is someone not from these shores supposed to jump in on? English speaking doesn't get accomplished in a day. I know people in Norway who have been there for nearly a decade and still can't hold a conversation in Norwegian. Before the fella replies with the predictable answer, no, Norwegians speaking English doesn't make a difference. We're talking 'integration' and adopting 'customs' after all, aren't we?
    I'd like murphaph to list areas that these people doing what the Irish have been doing for over a century, are supposedly failing on.
    So come on all you anti-immigration proponents. Which customs then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭herya

O'Morris wrote: »
    Which of his opinions on the subject of immigration are vile?

That he bases his opinion and the whole tirade solely on the NUMBER of black faces he saw.

But I'm not surprised. I used to read his column for a different view but I stopped once in one of his articles he likened male circumcision to female circumcision and on this basis demanded equal treatment for both (I believe re: Izevbekhai case). If he can't tell the difference between an optional standard hygiene procedure and forced lifelong mutilation I can't be bothered to read his enunciations.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I've no problem with immigrants who come here to work, integrate and contribute to Ireland but there needs to be thorough checks on who we let in. We have enough criminals of our own to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Bloody hell, if that's all it takes to get your goat remind me to steer clear. Some people may not be good at maths or unfamiliar with our currency if they just arrived. What usually pisses me off at the supermarket till is some lazy disrespectful Irish teenager who appears vexed whenever they have to serve a customer.

I do think we have had too much immigration, or more to the point recent immigration was not well managed. New towns were built with out proper infrastructure such as schools and public transport or existing towns population boomed to the point where the infrastructure couldn't cope. These are the real issues that require urgent attention but unfortunately the immigration debate is constantly sidetracked into silliness like someone not have the right change at the cashier.

Well, if we carry on at current rates we will indeed find ourselves in a UK-like situation where in many neighbourhoods there are no 'natives' in certain areas at all and the new inhabitants have no grasp of english whatsoever and don't even need it as all their contacts speak their language. I take it you would have a problem with this situation arising in this state given what you wrote above. It is already happening btw.

Immigration can be good. Uncontrolled immigration is not and our immigration policy was pretty loose in recent years. I know for a 110% fact that the 20hour student visa (GNIB stamp 2) is abused more often than not and many 'students' are actually working 60 hours a week in blatant disregard for the law. Is this an acceptable part of immigration to this country? Is this a big deal?

Well, it is a serious question actually. What bloody customs is someone not from these shores supposed to jump in on? English speaking doesn't get accomplished in a day. I know people in Norway who have been there for nearly a decade and still can't hold a conversation in Norwegian. Before the fella replies with the predictable answer, no, Norwegians speaking English doesn't make a difference. We're talking 'integration' and adopting 'customs' after all, aren't we?
    I'd like murphaph to list areas that these people doing what the Irish have been doing for over a century, are supposedly failing on.
    So come on all you anti-immigration proponents. Which customs then?

I agree, the whole customs thing is a bit blown out of proportion. There are issue such as language and maybe work culture, temperment etc. But that comes over time. Once we can establish that "this is the way it works over here" and these ways are just and non discriminatory and fair then there is no issue. These people are sometimes a bit different. But maybe thats the issue, they are different. Maybe thats what he doesn't like!

Its like the foxnews annual "War on Christmas!!" Horse Manure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭RiverWilde

Uncontrolled immigration is not and our immigration policy was pretty loose in recent years. I know for a 110% fact that the 20hour student visa (GNIB stamp 2) is abused more often than not and many 'students' are actually working 60 hours a week in blatant disregard for the law. Is this an acceptable part of immigration to this country? Is this a big deal?

Funny how the general attitude changes when the shoe is on the other foot. If we look at the US as an example, how many illegal Irish are there over there? Blatantly disregarding their laws. Yet we have people here clamouring for their legalisation. Hypocrisy.

Irish society is stronger or should be stronger than that. Just because a few people decide to move to this rain soaked expensive banana republic does not mean we're all going to be overrun by foreigners. If anything it should liven the place up a bit. We have the lowest population density around.

If enough of these immigrants demand change, maybe it'll happen. Maybe the corruption and other cozy little deals in Irish society will be shaken up a bit.

Riv

He is a hypocritical contrarian whose arrogance, in my opinion, exceeds any quality. Speak your polemic mind and expect retort from those who disagree. This is all that Myers wants anyway.
    That's a democracy. Has he been arrested or had his articles censored? Nope. :rolleyes:

That's all well and good.

However, it isn't his ideas and arguments that are being attacked. More often than not we get attacks on his character. This to my mind says more about his detractors than it does about him. Maybe he is an arrogant, hypocritical contrarian. So what?

Riv

Funny how the general attitude changes when the shoe is on the other foot. If we look at the US as an example, how many illegal Irish are there over there? Blatantly disregarding their laws. Yet we have people here clamouring for their legalisation. Hypocrisy.

Irish society is stronger or should be stronger than that. Just because a few people decide to move to this rain soaked expensive banana republic does not mean we're all going to be overrun by foreigners. If anything it should liven the place up a bit. We have the lowest population density around.

If enough of these immigrants demand change, maybe it'll happen. Maybe the corruption and other cozy little deals in Irish society will be shaken up a bit.

Riv
    So you support illegal immigration by irish people to the US and by foreigners to Ireland? I don't support either and have always entered and left the United States in accordance with my visa. As I believe what's good for the goose is good for the gander, my position is evidently not hypocritical! :rolleyes:

So you support illegal immigration by irish people to the US and by foreigners to Ireland? I don't support either and have always entered and left the United States in accordance with my visa. As I believe what's good for the goose is good for the gander, my position is evidently not hypocritical! :rolleyes:

Eh, no I don't support illegal emigration to the US. I just find it hillarious and hypocritical that after centuries of emigration from these shores to all sorts of lands, when people do decide to come here, we have a conniption.

If you feel that you're not being hypocritical, that's your business.

Riv

That's all well and good.

However, it isn't his ideas and arguments that are being attacked. More often than not we get attacks on his character. This to my mind says more about his detractors than it does about him. Maybe he is an arrogant, hypocritical contrarian. So what?

I'm not saying I disagree with his view because he is an arrogant, hypocritical contrarian.
    I'm saying I disagree with his view AND he is an arrogant, hypocritical contrarian.

It seems to be a requirement when running dry of the same old anti-immigration debate arguments that people drag illegal immigration, another subject entirely, into it.

If you feck off to the States on working visas, you are indeed a hypocrite as you are a bloody migrant in the first place!

Still waiting for these mysterious customs of yours that migrants to Ireland should adapt. Come on then...

Ok I'll give you a custom (actually a legal requirement) I like people to adhere to....having minimum 3rd party insurance in place when operating a motor vehicle in a public place? Ever been hit by an uninsured driver? I have, pain in the ass dealing with it. In fact as a bare minimum, all migrants should obey all of our laws or be deported upon conviction. That's fair enough isn't it?

I don't want to hear "loads of irish have no insurance" cos I bloody well know that but we can't deport these scumbags. We can deport immigrants who break the law and we should.
    If you feel that you're not being hypocritical, that's your business.
    I don't "feel" that way. I know my position is not hypocritical-illegal immigration by irish nationals to other states is as unnacceptable as illegal immigration by foreigners to Ireland. Clear?

It seems to be a requirement when running dry of the same old anti-immigration debate arguments that people drag illegal immigration, another subject entirely, into it.
    Illegal immigration is a type of immigration. :rolleyes:
    If you feck off to the States on working visas, you are indeed a hypocrite as you are a bloody migrant in the first place!
    A legal migrant who alaways respected my host country and behaved in a manner acceptable to the people of those countries.

In your rush to be outraged you missed where I said that "migration can be good" ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Well, if we carry on at current rates we will indeed find ourselves in a UK-like situation where in many neighbourhoods there are no 'natives' in certain areas at all and the new inhabitants have no grasp of english whatsoever and don't even need it as all their contacts speak their language. I take it you would have a problem with this situation arising in this state given what you wrote above. It is already happening btw.

I myself would get rid of anyone who can't speak both Irish and English, the feckin immigrants brought that over here.

(Bye Bye Mr Meyers!)

• Advertisement

Ok I'll give you a custom (actually a legal requirement) I like people to adhere to....having minimum 3rd party insurance in place when operating a motor vehicle in a public place? Ever been hit by an uninsured driver? I have, pain in the ass dealing with it. In fact as a bare minimum, all migrants should obey all of our laws or be deported upon conviction. That's fair enough isn't it?

I don't want to hear "loads of irish have no insurance" cos I bloody well know that but we can't deport these scumbags. We can deport immigrants who break the law and we should.

I don't "feel" that way. I know my position is not hypocritical-illegal immigration by irish nationals to other states is as unnacceptable as illegal immigration by foreigners to Ireland. Clear?

Now that's funny.
    I do hope you are not in any way responsible for Irish Immigration policy.

Riv

Advertisement